Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

hobbers

All AAA studios are garbage these days and first party development is going the same way, as quality and creativity drops across the board.

b82REZ

Happy to hype up gamepass as the best thing in g, Forza Horizon 5 as the best exclusive released since next-gen started
:lol: :lol:

You fawn over Horizon which has incredibly average gameplay and brings nothing new to the table.
I've never fawned over Horizon, generally speaking I avoid commenting on it beyond saying I enjoyed it because of my relationship with one of the devs. And one thing you can't level at that game is is boring gameplay. Criticise the story, rehashing of OW tropes by all means but the gameplay is unique, if not overly complicated in FW.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
This makes no sense. It's people with realistic expectations who are hopeful of a good game, and always has been. That we aren't prepared to say it's going to be the best game ever just so you can shit all over that isn't a bad thing. You're literally now knocking people for having a realistic view. Baring in mind also, we still know very little about it and it could actually be brilliant.
I'm not knocking people for having a "realistic" view, I'm knocking you lot for having pessimistic views. I think you should want more if you are gamers happy with your shiny console, I don't think you should be sold the same game on a 20 year old engine that was out of date even then.

Ah, the classic manoeuvre.
You want me to explain my thoughts to you so you can whine about me being condescending when I use big words?

Nope, not interested.

Definitely in my case.
But it goes further than that. Even the stronger games in the series with a lick of paint just wouldn't be good enough today. They need to innovate because other developers have made the same game and improved on it in numerous cases. Their creepy, dead eyed npc's spitting narrative at you is just such a weak story telling device. Their combat and traversal being floaty and rubbish isn't going to stack up well vs something like swinging around as spiderman or the combat of elden ring.
Space sims are just such a busy space in gaming at the moment too, and most of them are good with no obvious shortcomings.
They aren't on console though, so I guess that explains why that crowd are pining their hopes?

Last edited:

Bosws87

I saw basebuilding and ship building had traumatic nightmares about the constantly moaning npc's whining about the base being under attack and had seen enough.

Undecided from what i saw, combats as terrible as it has ever been, was always the quests and settings which made the good elder scrolls.

I'd long decided bethesda's RPG's time in the sun was over after games such as Witcher, but then cyberpunk happened so i'm not sure where this one ends up.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
:lol:

Nailed it.

Don't forget when he changes the past too, like when he riled people up about project Spark :lol:
You compare me to Liverpool fans with 'next year la' but can't go one conversation with me without mentioning Project Spark? :smirk:

Since you brought it up - Roblox shares the same principles as Project Spark so I was right on the rise of UGC and the impact it will have especially on younger audiences, and right on the development of these 'no code' tools allowing for new experiences with minimal budget or resource. Then you look at the direction of things like Unity and Unreal, and single developers are going and building games on their own that are incredibly polished (wasn't Tunic just one guy)?

Project Spark wasn't properly supported and had a terrible commercial model which meant it fell on it's arse but most of what I said at the time still applies, it's just come from different sources.

Redlambs

I saw basebuilding and ship building had traumatic nightmares about the constantly moaning npc's whining about the base being under attack and had seen enough.

Undecided from what i saw, combats as terrible as it has ever been, was always the quests and settings which made the good elder scrolls.

I'd long decided bethesda's RPG's time in the sun was over after games such as Witcher, but then cyberpunk happened so i'm not sure where this one ends up.
Witcher 3 had shit gameplay across the board. Gwent was the most innovative thing about that game.

The story, the characters, the sound...those are what made it.

Redlambs

You compare me to Liverpool fans with 'next year la' but can't go one conversation without me without mentioning Project Spark? :smirk:

Since you brought it up - Roblox shares the same principles as Project Spark so I was right on the rise of UGC and the impact it will have especially on younger audiences, and right on the development of these 'no code' tools allowing for new experiences with minimal budget or resource. Then you look at the direction of things like Unity and Unreal, and single developers are going and building games on their own that are incredibly polished (wasn't Tunic just one guy)?

Project Spark wasn't properly supported and had a terrible commercial model which meant it fell on it's arse but most of what I said at the time still applies, it's just come from different sources.
Nope, I told you about "UGC" long before that, about how Minecraft not only did it better, but should be considered a visual programming language of it's own. I also told you Spark would never be properly supported and wouldn't work commercially.

Most importantly, I told you and everyone on here how hard it is to actually make a simple game on something as cool as that was. I even offered to make a group with us all and help actually do something on it.

But then I also tried to tell you the same about Kinect 2.

That's not the point though, the point is...nothing. You are a gamer, I respect that. I just love killing time jostling you like you do me. But it does make me chuckle the side you took back then. Cider was so good at arguing, way above us plebs now, and the way he got at Weaste and the Sony crowd on here was something special. I miss those days :(

Redlambs

You are soooo 2021.
I think you'll find that I haven't played it since then. It was a great laugh on the caf Discord at the time though, some real gaming moments.

Might want to send a strongly written PMs to the "gamers" in this thread as to why they've missed the fact the most interesting game they will get for the near future isn't being discussed...

Redlambs

The same with pretty much all RPGs. Which is why I find it funny that people have decided one is rubbish after seeing a few minutes.
No. At least not in my case, unless you've missed me talk about TW3 before. And what you find "funny" is what people did about the reactions to CP too, what I find "funny" is the same justifications before it is released. All that's missing is people doubling down after release and still arguing "it's a good game!" :lol: (let's hope that's not the case here, let's hope this fares much better!)

And again I'll point out, just because there's been missteps in the past, why does that mean we should accept them in the future?

That'll be confirmation bias then :lol:
:lol:

Balljy

There seems to be some people who think that gamers can't decide what games they actually want to play. I know the style of game I like (story led, immersive with good characterisation) and have hated some widely praised games as they just don't fit what I'm looking for. I also understand that the games I love won't be universally liked as they lack on the mechanics side.

It's almost like people are into different things from their gaming.

Alock1

We wouldn't even have Elden Ring if Lambs had his way

Redlambs

There seems to be some people who think that gamers can't decide what games they actually want to play. I know the style of game I like (story led, immersive with good characterisation) and have hated some widely praised games as they just don't fit what I'm looking for. I also understand that the games I love won't be universally liked as they lack on the mechanics side.

It's almost like people are into different things from their gaming.
Nice soapbox speech, but nobody is telling you not to play it, nobody is telling you you can't decide what to play.

I could equally make one saying "there seems to be some people who think that gamers can't decide that they want games not made in the 00's and want something fresh and innovative" and it be just as relevant.

This is a forum and we discuss things. We aren't all supposed to have the same opinions, that's the point.

Balljy

Nice soapbox speech, but nobody is telling you not to play it, nobody is telling you you can't decide what to play.

I could equally make one saying "there seems to be some people who think that gamers can't decide that they want games not made in the 00's and want something fresh and innovative" and it be just as relevant.

This is a forum and we discuss things. We aren't all supposed to have the same opinions, that's the point.
Better than all your hundreds of soapbox speeches to be fair.

All that's missing is people doubling down after release and still arguing "it's a good game!" :lol: (let's hope that's not the case here, let's hope this fares much better!)
In just the last post you seem to be insinuating that people shouldn't consider Cyberpunk a good game and if they did they were just doubling down as if their opinion would be wrong. Sure you didn't mean it that way though....

Funny thing is, I like some absolute cult classics and other stuff you loved and have been playing games since the 00's to now. I also like games you would hate, but nothing wrong with that.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Maybe I'm in the minority but I bloody love Fallout 4. It deservedly gets shit for its barebones RPG mechanics and dialogue options but the sense of world building was brilliant, all of the unique diary entries at different locations and lots of treasure hunts like the backstory to Nick Valentine audiotapes. It helped that mod support fixed the usual bugs that you find, because Bethesda.

The ship building really interests me, especially having a crew walking about and interacting with various components inside (although I'm sure in practice they'll repeat the same three lines before walking into a wall for five minutes and falling through the floor).

Alock1

I've played more of that game than you.

And I'm 100% guaranteed better at it too.

(though I appreciate the attempt to appeal to the lowest common denominator here, I'm fairly confident the caf lot will see through your attempt. Not 100% though, closer to 65%)
What's that got to do it with it being yet another game you don't actually like that much or rate?

Redlambs

Better than all your hundreds of soapbox speeches to be fair.
Really? Because point one out where I tell people they shouldn't play a game.

In just the last post you seem to be insinuating that people shouldn't consider Cyberpunk a good game and if they did they were just doubling down as if their opinion would be wrong. Sure you didn't mean it that way though....
Nice that you ignore the part where I say people pre-judged it then doubled down on the defence on release when it turned out the warnings were real. Context is everything.

Funny thing is, I like some absolute cult classics and other stuff you loved and have been playing games since the 00's to now. I also like games you would hate, but nothing wrong with that.
Why are you repeating what I said to you?

We would like plenty of the same games, hate plenty too. None of this post of yours gets the point I made in reply to your original post though.

Redlambs

What's that got to do it with it being yet another game you don't actually like that much or rate?
What's this got to do with it being yet another game that I actually like and rate, but talked about in depth about not being the review lead behemoth it is?

So typical of you to try to twist things again because you can't answer my other posts :lol:

I tell you what, find a post where I talk about that game, it's engine or gameplay or anything really and come at me about where I'm wrong in your opinion and then we can have a discussion about it. Until you can do that, stop trying to earn cheap points you wont win. That's the difference between us, when I do it about stuff like Spark or Kinect I can back it up, so go ahead and back yourself up or stick to what this thread is about and what I've said in here to you.

Dan

Maybe I'm in the minority but I bloody love Fallout 4. It deservedly gets shit for its barebones RPG mechanics and dialogue options but the sense of world building was brilliant, all of the unique diary entries at different locations and lots of treasure hunts like the backstory to Nick Valentine audiotapes. It helped that mod support fixed the usual bugs that you find, because Bethesda.

The ship building really interests me, especially having a crew walking about and interacting with various components inside (although I'm sure in practice they'll repeat the same three lines before walking into a wall for five minutes and falling through the floor).
Yeah same here can’t wait.

Redlambs

On release or now?

I've not played it in ages, but on release it was launched completely stripped of the content they promised and all the building stuff was entirely pointless. Also, it looked barely any different to 3. That's probably changed, and one day I'll personally try it again, but they actually did try to cheap out on it and fecked the launch. FO76 was even worse, stories are dropping all over the place about that development too, just like what happened during 4.

There's no shame in liking it though. I love some proper ropey shit :lol: That's what makes me laugh, people think I have some exacting standards about games but in reality I love some proper terrible games! I just don't make excuses for them or get butt hurt when it's pointed out how bad they are, or the issues.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
On release or now?

I've not played it in ages, but on release it was launched completely stripped of the content they promised and all the building stuff was entirely pointless. Also, it looked barely any different to 3. That's probably changed, and one day I'll personally try it again, but they actually did try to cheap out on it and fecked the launch. FO76 was even worse, stories are dropping all over the place about that development too, just like what happened during 4.

There's no shame in liking it though. I love some proper ropey shit :lol: That's what makes me laugh, people think I have some exacting standards about games but in reality I love some proper terrible games! I just don't make excuses for them or get butt hurt when it's pointed out how bad they are, or the issues.
Yeah, definitely enjoying it more now than when I first played it, but I still loved it when it first came out. I haven't forgotten the sheer amount of frustrating glitches and the CTDs but all the narrative shite was there and I loved it for that.

I must have about a hundred mods on it and it's proper fun (including the one that delivers what Bethesda promised for settlement building). I'm glad that they decided against their monumentally stupid idea of stopping everything but paid mods, because they need the community to actually finish their games for them.

For what it's worth (why can't I use the shorthand? fecking redcafe admin elitists) I've spent the last couple of months going through all of the Fallout games and there's a noticeable difference between 3 and 4. Some of it shit some of it good. Visually it is better but, again, mods.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So I was sitting on the fence when moments ago I was hyping it as the great savior. Okay mate :)

I 'sat on the fence with Starfield' because as I said, the hype was due to the studio and I thought it was unlikely to meet peoples expectations. Happy to hype up gamepass as the best thing in gaming, Forza Horizon 5 as the best exclusive released since next-gen started, and Halo as the best arena shooter in years.

They have a huge FPS catalogue admittedly but now have lots of diversity too, with the main gap being Japanese games. Of the Sunday showcase - how many were FPS games? Redfall? A game already in development before the acquisition, and supposedly coming with a different spin.

Absolutely. Being disappointed that it's more of the same is fair. Saying that it looks poop, not very good, or bad - all taken from this thread, feels like hyperbole to me.

And to Veeva's point - that same criticism isn't levelled fairly across the board. Sony's 1st party output is as formulaic as you can get. The majority are either Ubisoft open world or third-person linear campaigns, and there's very little innovation and hasn't been for a long time.

You fawn over Horizon which has incredibly average gameplay and brings nothing new to the table.
One console has its second iteration of a VR headset coming out soon.... That's innovation and deserves to be recognised as such. Pity XBox bottled it and changed course but I get why they did it, to concentrate on their first party. Hopefully we start seeing the fruits....... soon?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Easy there pal. You can't just waltz in here and start talking nicely about a game. This is the de facto shit on everything you don't like about video games thread (just an FYI).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
One console has its second iteration of a VR headset coming out soon.... That's innovation and deserves to be recognised as such. Pity XBox bottled it and changed course but I get why they did it, to concentrate on their first party. Hopefully we start seeing the fruits....... soon?
No one else cares about VR mate :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Easy there pal. You can't just waltz in here and start talking nicely about a game. This is the de facto shit on everything you don't like about video games thread (just an FYI).
Woah, hold on pal. I'm not your pal, alright pal? Maybe I'm shitting on the people who don't like the video games? I could do it, you know. Proper shit. One morning you're walking to your car and suddenly there's me above you, just squeezing one out.

Alock1

What's this got to do with it being yet another game that I actually like and rate, but talked about in depth about not being the review lead behemoth it is?

So typical of you to try to twist things again because you can't answer my other posts :lol:

I tell you what, find a post where I talk about that game, it's engine or gameplay or anything really and come at me about where I'm wrong in your opinion and then we can have a discussion about it. Until you can do that, stop trying to earn cheap points you wont win. That's the difference between us, when I do it about stuff like Spark or Kinect I can back it up, so go ahead and back yourself up or stick to what this thread is about and what I've said in here to you.
Oh sorry.

I thought we were playing a game where you bring irrelevant opinions and misrepresent them after you mentioned Project Spark and Kinect 2.0 for the 50th time 9 years later.