Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
As for the demo being lacklustre, seems a case of those games being lacklustre, not the console as some are painting out on Reddit, which obviously makes little sense given the specs.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Has anyone here got an Elite controller V2? I'm thinking of getting one, but I've heard the build quality is crap.
have it since release. It’s a step up from the elite 1 (the coating on the triggers wore off after a few months of use - and I’m only a casual gamer!) in quality for me. Nicely balance weight wise. Still as new condition, used more in first 7 months compared to first 7 months of elite 1.

only thing for me, and it’s tiny. I use the paddles off the elite 1 instead. They reduced the sizing of them in the elite 2 version and with my double jointed fingers, found the small paddles harder to press :lol:

cant recommend it high enough though.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
have it since release. It’s a step up from the elite 1 (the coating on the triggers wore off after a few months of use - and I’m only a casual gamer!) in quality for me. Nicely balance weight wise. Still as new condition, used more in first 7 months compared to first 7 months of elite 1.

only thing for me, and it’s tiny. I use the paddles off the elite 1 instead. They reduced the sizing of them in the elite 2 version and with my double jointed fingers, found the small paddles harder to press :lol:

cant recommend it high enough though.
Thanks. I think I'm going to take the plunge when they finally come back in stock. I can't believe I'm going to pay £170 (with warranty) for a controller, though!

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Thanks. I think I'm going to take the plunge when they finally come back in stock. I can't believe I'm going to pay £170 (with warranty) for a controller, though!
you think it’s high price, but in the same time I’d go through 3 or 4 regular controllers. So the lifespan and outlay is actually smaller in comparison imo!

ArjenIsM3

I adore the Halo games and it's probably my favourite series to play along with Assassins Creed and Batman Arkham collection. Halo has a special place in my heart and I'm absolutely stoked about the new game, the demo I just watched for it makes it look like it's going to be brilliant.
Yeah me too. Just started playing Halo again to freshen up my memory and get in the mood. Going to play through all the games chronologically starting with Halo Reach. All on Legendary though so this will take a while :lol:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah me too. Just started playing Halo again to freshen up my memory and get in the mood. Going to play through all the games chronologically starting with Halo Reach. All on Legendary though so this will take a while :lol:
Mate I have literally just done that, from Reach right through to 5 and including ODST too :lol: :drool: absolutely quality, loved it haha.

hubbuh

Has anyone played the Grounded demo yet? Christ those spiders are fecking terrifying. It's the only time I've ever paused a game and put the controller down as an adult human playing video games. Think I'll have to turn the difficulty down.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Halo multiplayer being free to play is huge!

Guessing it will move to a battle pass system, and within 6 months of launch introduce a Battle Royale mode

If they remove Xbox Live subs and it's all about gamepass upsells then I think they'll be on to a winner

(By winner I mean do really well, not sell more consoles than ps - which I don't think is possible nor what their goal is)

Bojan11

Halo multiplayer being free to play is huge!

Guessing it will move to a battle pass system, and within 6 months of launch introduce a Battle Royale mode

If they remove Xbox Live subs and it's all about gamepass upsells then I think they'll be on to a winner

(By winner I mean do really well, not sell more consoles than ps - which I don't think is possible nor what their goal is)
Project Spark was the real winner. I championed that for years and that could have made the difference between 50m consoles sold to 100m consoles sold. But it was non believers like you who constantly bad mouthed it and put me down for supporting something that was revolutionary. It was truly ahead of its time.

Also you forget the 120fps bit. They already announced no loot boxes, so you right about a battle pass system. Halo battle royal could be great with warthogs, ghosts and Banshees everywhere. As long as they take out sprint. I don’t want Usain Bolt Spartans running around everywhere.

ArjenIsM3

Project Spark was the real winner. I championed that for years and that could have made the difference between 50m consoles sold to 100m consoles sold. But it was non believers like you who constantly bad mouthed it and put me down for supporting something that was revolutionary. It was truly ahead of its time.

Also you forget the 120fps bit. They already announced no loot boxes, so you right about a battle pass system. Halo battle royal could be great with warthogs, ghosts and Banshees everywhere. As long as they take out sprint. I don’t want Usain Bolt Spartans running around everywhere.
This could be legendary

Alock1

How many TVs support 120hz? I'm not sure it'll make a huge difference in reality, but maybe a good marketing ploy to help demonstrate the power of nextgen with a number alongside 4k. I assume on PC that would have always been the expectation?

Project Spark was a cool concept. I enjoyed it a lot and loved the idea. Dreams is a whole next level.

I still think user generated gaming experiences will be huge in the future once someone cracks it.

And I don't believe I ever said it was some hero that would mean Xbox sold more than PS4 or anything like that. I just got over enthused with the potential possibilities which were most definitely technically there, but there wasn't the investment, marketing or penetration to see it through (which probably was obvious but sometimes it's much more fun to believe - like transfer muppetry)

Bojan11

How many TVs support 120hz? I'm not sure it'll make a huge difference in reality, but maybe a good marketing ploy to help demonstrate the power of nextgen with a number alongside 4k. I assume on PC that would have always been the expectation?

Project Spark was a cool concept. I enjoyed it a lot and loved the idea. Dreams is a whole next level.

I still think user generated gaming experiences will be huge in the future once someone cracks it.

And I don't believe I ever said it was some hero that would mean Xbox sold more than PS4 or anything like that. I just got over enthused with the potential possibilities which were most definitely technically there, but there wasn't the investment, marketing or penetration to see it through (which probably was obvious but sometimes it's much more fun to believe - like transfer muppetry)
I have 255hz 1080p monitor on PC for online only games. It’s over the top, but I’d take performance over graphics for multiplayer. I am guessing 120hz is the standard most people buy for PC.

It will be interesting to see how they work that out on console. It’s clearly advantageous, if you running 120fps compared to someone running 60fps. Obviously you still need to know what you doing to take advantage. You ain’t just gonna log in on 120fps and beat people on 60fps.

Alock1

I have 255hz 1080p monitor on PC for online only games. It’s over the top, but I’d take performance over graphics for multiplayer. I am guessing 120hz is the standard most people buy for PC.

It will be interesting to see how they work that out on console. It’s clearly advantageous, if you running 120fps compared to someone running 60fps. Obviously you still need to know what you doing to take advantage. You ain’t just gonna log in on 120fps and beat people on 60fps.
Sorry, I didn't explain well. I meant a huge difference in terms of adoption from a console user base. How many Xbox owners will have a TV that supports 120fps?

On PC sure but I guess it would be expected so not a big deal.

From a marketing perspective maybe it helps them sell a few consoles alongside 4k. Those power comparisons and stats definitely helped Sony and harmed Xbox last time out but I don't think it'll have a huge impact.

As a performance lever itself then 60fps is much better than 30fps for online multiplayer so I'm sure it could be a big deal to some and if your setup can support it, obviously you would

Bojan11

Sorry, I didn't explain well. I meant a huge difference in terms of adoption from a console user base. How many Xbox owners will have a TV that supports 120fps?

On PC sure but I guess it would be expected so not a big deal.

From a marketing perspective maybe it helps them sell a few consoles alongside 4k. Those power comparisons and stats definitely helped Sony and harmed Xbox last time out but I don't think it'll have a huge impact.

As a performance lever itself then 60fps is much better than 30fps for online multiplayer so I'm sure it could be a big deal to some and if your setup can support it, obviously you would
Maybe they’d have a marketing deal with a TV company or monitors that support 120fps.

They have a partnership for xcloud with Samsung that’s going to be unveiled when the new Note is announced this month.

Not sure if you remember but when the 360 came out, if you ever went in a HMV/GAME/Gamestation they had the 360 demo pods with the Samsung HD ready TV. I bought the exact TV because every demo pod with a 360 it had that TV and that was good marketing from both. So maybe they might do something similar.

Sony announced some new 4K/120hz TVs this week to support the PS5. You can even use the dual sense to wake the TV up.

https://www.techradar.com/news/sony-ps5-ready-tv

Alock1

Yeah makes sense. Probably more of a marketing ploy than something that will be used by many people though.

Bosws87

Be intrigued to see the uptake on people buying 120hz tv's monitors etc.

I've always generalised that the majority of console users would choose 30 with better effects, lighting etc then 60/120.

Be pleasantly surprised if it goes the other way, graphics have reached a point where its not necessary to be running at low fps just to make it a little prettier.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
TV’s will still need to have HDMI 2.1 to run 120fps, at 4K anyway. Only top of the range TVs do at the minute.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
At those prices, I might get myself a monitor instead of a tv for the series X. I have a small coffee table and use a rocker type seat so I’m low to the ground, just using a 32” tv currently - so a monitor will be easier to move around too, as with my 6 week old kid, I won’t be hooked up to a tv too often!!

Paxi

One thing I will say though, is that Xbox’s UI is a complete mess. They should really take a leaf out of PS’s book and make it clean and snappy.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
One thing I will say though, is that Xbox’s UI is a complete mess. They should really take a leaf out of PS’s book and make it clean and snappy.
Yeah, it seems to have been influenced by the way Windows has gone - very blocky, straight lines. I don't mind that but it could definitely be improved on a lot. If nothing else I think a lot of people just want a change.

Paxi

Yeah, it seems to have been influenced by the way Windows has gone - very blocky, straight lines. I don't mind that but it could definitely be improved on a lot. If nothing else I think a lot of people just want a change.
I get that Xbox has lots more apps to offer but it seems all over the place. It gives me the creeps as I’ve mild form of ocd. on PS4 I have everything logged into folders and it just looks very neat. I wish Microsoft would do something similar.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
hate the tiles myself as well. It’s even impossible to see friends shared items and clips - used to be so easy before. It’s gotten a little better recently, but by no means smooth at all.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I get that Xbox has lots more apps to offer but it seems all over the place. It gives me the creeps as I’ve mild form of ocd. on PS4 I have everything logged into folders and it just looks very neat. I wish Microsoft would do something similar.
It's changed for the better fairly recently and is slightly better but still pretty awkward to navigate. Not sure I'd want folders as such, but there must be a more usable in between.

Bojan11

Dash was much better on the 360, I hope they go back to something similar. PS4 dash is just simple and wherever you want to go it’s fast. Xbox one dash is more confusing and the store is crap too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Dash was much better on the 360, I hope they go back to something similar. PS4 dash is just simple and wherever you want to go it’s fast. Xbox one dash is more confusing and the store is crap too.
Wait what? Mine has never looked like the 2019 one? :lol:

Balljy

It always amazes me with stores how they don't allow you to browse and place the pages you are interested in into a new tab or tabs. The whole point of having them is to make money, but making you go into one game at a time to look at reviews and detail then back out and into another rather than build your "shopping list" (not wishlist as that's permanent) seems completely counter-intuitive.

The worst for that is Steam, it's so frustrating scrolling down lists of games, picking one to look at in more detail and then having to back out to the generic store page to get to where you were before. Tabs have existed for years exactly for that purpose.

Paxi

No Maxi, they listen to what you say. You are very important to them and they would treasure you as a customer. Think about that.
That’s very concerning as I mostly have no idea what the feck I’m talking about.

Bojan11

Rumour has it that third party is going to join game pass.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not strictly Series X as it’s for current gen too but the new UI is looking slick, and fast!

Cant find the vid I saw now but here’s a pic