Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Shame that means it'll be so mediocre then. Has been giving me strong OG Prince of Persia vibes.
There have been many games joining GP on day 1 that turned out quite good.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Shame that means it'll be so mediocre then.
Sea of Thieves, Psychonauts 2, Hades, and Will of the Wisps says hi.

Few others such as Fable, Hellblade 2, Elder Scrolls 6, Starfield, and Plague Tale Requiem on the way too. Reckon a couple of those might be better than mediocre :)

Sarni

Playing Tunic, do I even need to understand the language of the game? Or will I be fine just going about and progressing through locations without really knowing what it tells me?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Playing Tunic, do I even need to understand the language of the game? Or will I be fine just going about and progressing through locations without really knowing what it tells me?
You'll be fine but pay attention to symbols as they give clues. The manual is very useful a lot of the time when you're stuck or don't know how to beat an enemy

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You'll be fine but pay attention to symbols as they give clues. The manual is very useful a lot of the time when you're stuck or don't know how to beat an enemy
I really want to play this but I'm not sure I'm ready for another Elden Ring experience so soon where I have to have a document open to keep track of everything.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
There have been many games joining GP on day 1 that turned out quite good.
Sea of Thieves, Psychonauts 2, Hades, and Will of the Wisps says hi.

Few others such as Fable, Hellblade 2, Elder Scrolls 6, Starfield, and Plague Tale Requiem on the way too. Reckon a couple of those might be better than mediocre :)
Just a little cheek ;)

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I really want to play this but I'm not sure I'm ready for another Elden Ring experience so soon where I have to have a document open to keep track of everything.
Never played a Demonsborne game myself but I don't think it's as complicated as they are. It's more like a cross between Link to the Past and Breath of the Wild - you don't know where to go at first, and then later will see items on the map you can't access until you've unlocked certain equipment (e.g. the grapplehook).

As I said in the last post, when you get stuck the manual basically tells you what to do. You pick up pages (mostly) in order so it hints to which area you're supposed to go to next.

Also the accessibility menu has an option for unlimited stamina. Using your shield and dodging uses stamina so turning it off makes it more like Zelda (which IMO is more fun).

Last edited:

Sarni

Never played a Demonsborne game myself but I don't think it's as complicated as they are. It's more like a cross between Link to the Past and Breath of the Wild - you don't know where to go at first, and then later will see items on the map you can't access until you've unlocked certain equipment (e.g. the grapplehook).

As I said in the last post, when you get stuck the manual basically tells you what to do. You pick up pages (mostly) in order so it hints to which area you're supposed to go to next.

Also the accessibility menu has an option for unlimited stamina. Using your shield and dodging uses stamina so turning it off makes it more like Zelda (which IMO is more fun).
I have played this for two hours today, it’s very addictive. At first I thought I would feel lost but it has the tendency to put you on the right path most of the time. I already have the sword which makes things way easier. I wish there was a map that I could use as it’s easy to get lost if you don’t pay attention but otherwise it has been a brilliant experience so far. The best thing about Game Pass is it allows you to test games you wouldn’t have normally bought but once you have tried them you realize they are rated so highly for a reason. Pedestrian is another one, supposedly Kentucky Route Zero, Death’s Door and Paradise Killer are quite amazing too.

Redlambs

I have played this for two hours today, it’s very addictive. At first I thought I would feel lost but it has the tendency to put you on the right path most of the time. I already have the sword which makes things way easier. I wish there was a map that I could use as it’s easy to get lost if you don’t pay attention but otherwise it has been a brilliant experience so far. The best thing about Game Pass is it allows you to test games you wouldn’t have normally bought but once you have tried them you realize they are rated so highly for a reason. Pedestrian is another one, supposedly Kentucky Route Zero, Death’s Door and Paradise Killer are quite amazing too.
Very much agreed.

I'm now hoping the GP will actually work against where gaming is going with these kinds of things (and what the likes of EA/Ubisoft/MS and all that want) and show people you can still find games made by solid and tight teams who all get it and work for that project.

Bosws87

Very much agreed.

I'm now hoping the GP will actually work against where gaming is going with these kinds of things (and what the likes of EA/Ubisoft/MS and all that want) and show people you can still find games made by solid and tight teams who all get it and work for that project.
In Microsoft's hands you're optimistic :lol:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
For sure and I was saying the same thing to my dad yesterday as he was complaining that his PS5 was collecting dust. He said he doesn't want to pay £50 for games anymore not knowing if he's going to enjoy them or not and I said I was exactly the same. GP offers fantastic value for money and it's brilliant how it lets you trial games for a few hours to see if it takes your fancy.

Nothing against Sony or Nintendo but gaming is becoming an increasingly premium hobby for me so GP is fantastic for what it offers.

Bosws87

For sure and I was saying the same thing to my dad yesterday as he was complaining that his PS5 was collecting dust. He said he doesn't want to pay £50 for games anymore not knowing if he's going to enjoy them or not and I said I was exactly the same. GP offers fantastic value for money and it's brilliant how it lets you trial games for a few hours to see if it takes your fancy.

Nothing against Sony or Nintendo but gaming is becoming an increasingly premium hobby for me so GP is fantastic for what it offers.
I'd argue the total opposite for bang for your buck gaming is one of the only few that is still anywhere close worth to the purchase.

When you pay £40 a pop to watch our trash live every other week puts things in perspective ;)

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'd argue the total opposite for bang for your buck gaming is one of the only few that is still anywhere close worth to the purchase.
It is for sure but a lot of other things have taken precedence for me recently. The increased cost of living etc.

I probably wouldn't buy a single game right now for £50 no matter how much value it represents.

Bosws87

It is for sure but a lot of other things have taken precedence for me recently. The increased cost of living etc.

I probably wouldn't buy a single game right now for £50 no matter how much value it represents.
Yeh i read it as a general statement rather then personal to you, my bad.

Sarni

Funnily Series X was an impulse buy for me while I was waiting on the delivery of PS5 at launch, as they had so many of them available and it was a week earlier. Last year I spent way too much time playing 2K which I bought for PS5 so can’t really compare my usage between the two but I’m fairly sure in 2022 I have spent 8-10 hours with my Xbox for every 1 hour spent with PS5. I am now grabbing multiplatform games for Xbox only going forward due to Quick Resume and Game Pass library gets me so much value that I don’t really feel any urge to go back to PS5. GP aside, the experience is so much better, with quick resume, better interface, better looking console, hell even the box they packed it in was so much better. Microsoft has totally nailed this generation I must say.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Very much agreed.

That is the beauty of it really. A lot of less than AAA games that are a lot of fun, and I definitely wouldn’t have tried otherwise. Still implore people to try Shredders. Easy one to drop in and out of.

DavelinaJolie

Tunic is really well designed in that way, you kind of just find the right paths because the game helps you get there, but not explicitly and without putting you on rails. Its really cool.

Keep exploring, you'll get a map.

As for Game Pass: Tunic, Celeste, The Gunk, Death's Door, Gang Beasts, Undertale, The Forgotten City, Eastshade, Golf With Friends, Hotshot Racing.... I've played so many great little games thanks to GP. Well worth having.

DavelinaJolie

I've been dragging out the ending of Tunic because I don't really want it to be over, that said
I'm fairly sure I've got The Golden Path worked out
. I'm gonna miss this game when it's done, it's going to be a Witness-esque hole.

Last edited:

DavelinaJolie

Lovely :drool: got to around level 45 on battle pass and just got a little bored. Some of the fiesta challenges also kept me going a tiny bit longer - but it needed more.
The crew I play with on Friday nights have pretty much given up already. Such a paucity of content in the MP.

I'm not really into Halo but for actually enjoyed playing Infinite MP, playing the same maps and modes over and over has really worn it out quickly though.

DavelinaJolie

Epic SoT game last night with my galleon crew. Completely outdone by reaper sloops, not once but twice, but the second time around laughed our heads off as the other crew mouthed off in text chat, then a reaper brig and Skelly galleon f*cked them into oblivion whilst we desperately patched.

Oh how we laughed.

Sarni

Slay the Spire joins my list of games I did not have any intention to play, did not look like the sort of game I normally enjoy, that I have got myself massively pulled into. Intended to just try it out and spent 2 hours playing last night until I realized it was 1 am and time to sleep. :lol: I reckon I have to put a limit on the number of those highly rated indie games that I give a chance. Forgotten City is very highly rated, and looks like a game I won’t like too… guess I have to give it a chance.

Redlambs

Epic SoT game last night with my galleon crew. Completely outdone by reaper sloops, not once but twice, but the second time around laughed our heads off as the other crew mouthed off in text chat, then a reaper brig and Skelly galleon f*cked them into oblivion whilst we desperately patched.

Oh how we laughed.
I've just remembered there was a big update, any good? And any news on the hitscan update?

I've had a break for a couple of months, the hitreg/food/bucket/cannon issues just got way too much for my anger levels :lol:

Redlambs

Let us know what you think when you get a bit further. The exploration is really rewarding, though some of the bosses have almost seen my controller meet the wall.
Well I've just beat the Garden boss first time (shield and cornering enemies is OP).

Then found something that told me I could level up. Been playing it basic bitch style this whole time :lol: