Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ainu

They should have delayed the game. Releasing a 30fps shooter for a current gen console is ridiculous.
Especially when it looks like that. I could forgive A Plague Tale: Requiem launching without a performance option, as that game is gorgeous, very few games out there come close to it.

But this... Don't get me wrong, it looks fine, not every big title needs to look like the most technologically advanced thing on the market. There's plenty of room for AAA titles that prioritize gameplay and systems over visuals, but in that case the least we should expect is a solid 60fps option, even if that means capping at 1080p or something. The fact a first-party studio as established as Arkane can't offer the visuals nor the performance is, frankly, pathetic.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There is PC Game Pass promotion for inclusion of 40 new countries, it is $1 for 3 months, then $7 for every month after, so because of this great promo price, I finally get to try this service. I still will be buying games on Steam that I really want to "own", but what do you really own digitally anyway eh? I always have big single player games backlog list so I will probably use this mostly for multiplayer games and CO-OP gaming with lads.

Do we get notification what games are getting removed when they are and how long before if we do?
That’s not bad but using the conversion method I have it for about 2 quid a month (but paying up front). I don’t know if that’s possible on pc though as it requires buying Xbox gold first. Might be able to work it out.

Re the games, on xbox there’s a leaving soon section. There may be something similar on pc?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
As always, be very careful installing games from the MS store on PC. Try to stick to the default place it wants to put them and also download in one hit.

It's a bit more stable these days, but trust me, you do not want to run into one of the many problems it can through up if something does go wonky.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
As always, be very careful installing games from the MS store on PC. Try to stick to the default place it wants to put them and also download in one hit.

It's a bit more stable these days, but trust me, you do not want to run into one of the many problems it can through up if something does go wonky.
Oh man, so many fecking lost installs and saves back in the early days. it's also really hard to delete those fecking lost installs then too :lol: It's definitely a lot better now.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Dumb decision to release without 60fps

I'd finally started to really warm to the game after the last round of previews too

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don’t usually have an issue with 30 FPS in games and would mostly go for Quality mode ahead of Performance (as long as it suits the game and is done right, eg in GTA5) in most games but to not even offer the option to switch is criminal.

I have been playing Ghostwire recently and while quite enjoyable it is probably one of the worst optimized games I have ever played. Quality mode drops frames like crazy and is probably not even close to holding 30 FPS for majority of time but even Performance mode has serious issues and drops well below 60 all the time.

Redlambs

The amusing thing thing for me is that up until recently on here the console players always banged on about how it was ok to be 30fps... Despite being told over and over again that fps DOES matter and you were sold shit based on it being shiney shit.

Now it's not ok?

Well I'm going to buck this trend and say that I trust Arkane Studios. Yes, I thought Prey was Bioshock for dummies, which was System shock for dummies...yes Dishonored 2 dumbed down the game for console players, and yes it looks like a last gen game but "OMG SHOCKING" your consoles are last gen because you about to buy half steps which still strangely only semi-support a feature left behind....but they are still good developers and manned by a team of actual gamers.

Wait, what was my point?

Oh yeah, MS have changed their ways and attitude towards developers. After all, we all heard it on here first out of certain people's mouths. No way they'd rush a title now because they have so little, no way they'd lamp it all on that team and make them try to explain it, no way they'd do what they've always done in every launch delay ever...

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Console gamers were used to 30fps as that’s all they got for the most part. Now they have gotten used to 60fps so in Redfalls case it’s not a surprise it’s causing concern.

then again we are about to get the biggest and probably best game of the year next month which will also be 30fps

Redlambs

I always loved it before "fps" was a thing.

Console gamers were used to 30fps as that’s all they got for the most part. Now they have gotten used to 60fps so in Redfalls case it’s not a surprise it’s causing concern.
Console gamers never even got solid 30fps until they were told 60 matters.

then again we are about to get the biggest and probably best game of the year next month which will also be 30fps
The biggest and best game of the year based on what exactly?

Reditus

I always loved it before "fps" was a thing.

Console gamers never even got solid 30fps until they were told 60 matters.

The biggest and best game of the year based on what exactly?
sales ‘n ratings

Reditus

It won't even hit 30fps for any amount of time it's worth worrying about.

But it will blow everything else out of the water.
Damn straight. i rarely get excited for game releases but zelda is a different story altogether

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The amusing thing thing for me is that up until recently on here the console players always banged on about how it was ok to be 30fps... Despite being told over and over again that fps DOES matter and you were sold shit based on it being shiney shit.

Now it's not ok?

Well I'm going to buck this trend and say that I trust Arkane Studios. Yes, I thought Prey was Bioshock for dummies, which was System shock for dummies...yes Dishonored 2 dumbed down the game for console players, and yes it looks like a last gen game but "OMG SHOCKING" your consoles are last gen because you about to buy half steps which still strangely only semi-support a feature left behind....but they are still good developers and manned by a team of actual gamers.

Wait, what was my point?

Oh yeah, MS have changed their ways and attitude towards developers. After all, we all heard it on here first out of certain people's mouths. No way they'd rush a title now because they have so little, no way they'd lamp it all on that team and make them try to explain it, no way they'd do what they've always done in every launch delay ever...
You get very worked up about videogames

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I got a LG C1 a couple of weeks back and I'll stay behind my hot take that these things are overrated. This is my second OLED. And they just don't live up to the hype. I still don't notice HDR. Whatever the feck difference it's supposed to make to games. And after playing Warzone 2 at 120fps all I can do is ‍♂I can't tell a difference from 60fps.

I realize that the last point is not the fault of the TV but these extra bell and whistles just feel like a waste of money, to me. The next TV I will buy will cost no more than £500 and I bet I don't even notice any difference.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I got a LG C1 a couple of weeks back and I'll stay behind my hot take that these things are overrated. This is my second OLED. And they just don't live up to the hype. I still don't notice HDR. Whatever the feck difference it's supposed to make to games. And after playing Warzone 2 at 120fps all I can do is ‍♂I can't tell a difference from 60fps.

I realize that the last point is not the fault of the TV but these extra bell and whistles just feel like a waste of money, to me. The next TV I will buy will cost no more than £500 and I bet I don't even notice any difference.
Have you tried counting each individual frame?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Forza is a surprise - didn't it just release an expansion?
Yep the Rally DLC. That said, I'm not massively surprised because it's a racer and shooters will always be more popular. Roblox / Minecraft can be explained by the kid market.

Halo remains the big flop as you'd expect it to be up there with the big boys at a bare minimum.

Nothing of interest here for me but with Zelda coming and several games in my backlog I'm not too arsed e.g. Ghostwire Tokyoyo

Herman Toothrot

Yeah, I've had so many issues with this. I couldn't play Flight Simulator for about two years until updating to Windows 11 somehow fixed it. Remembered how boring it was soon after! It's by far the worst game launcher, but there's a decent catalogue there.

I really do worry about the Xbox. Nothing coming up is exciting me. They're really trying to push this Redfall, but even putting performance issues to one side, it looks fecking terrible and the people who have previewed it were unimpressed too. I liked the new Halo, but plans to build on that sandbox 'for a decade' seem to have fallen apart. Where's their Last of Us, Spider-man or God of War?

Sarni

Nice month. Benedict Fox could be good, I expect that Redfall will be good too (though I need single player to be at the right level as probably won't play that much online).

There have been fewer additions to Game Pass this year and their announcements have not been as consistent as last year, which is probably down to the amount of first party / exclusive games they've been able to bring to the subscription as well as high number of relatively big new games they have secured (Plague Tale, Atomic Heart, Wo Long).

Sarni

Yeah, I've had so many issues with this. I couldn't play Flight Simulator for about two years until updating to Windows 11 somehow fixed it. Remembered how boring it was soon after! It's by far the worst game launcher, but there's a decent catalogue there.

I really do worry about the Xbox. Nothing coming up is exciting me. They're really trying to push this Redfall, but even putting performance issues to one side, it looks fecking terrible and the people who have previewed it were unimpressed too. I liked the new Halo, but plans to build on that sandbox 'for a decade' seem to have fallen apart. Where's their Last of Us, Spider-man or God of War?
Starfield will be the first big narrative driven exclusive, they've been mostly relying on indies and smaller games until now in this generation which is somewhat disappointing though has still brought some very good titles which are worth playing (Pentiment, Hi-Fi Rush, As Dusk Falls, Immortality) but you don't actually need a next gen platform to really play any of them.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Yeah - but a rally one that is essentially pointless given there are dedicated rally games. Forza is still great though, they just haven't put much effort in to it this time round. Still would pick it as one of my desert island games. It's got good replayability.

Sarni

Yeah - but a rally one that is essentially pointless given there are dedicated rally games. Forza is still great though, they just haven't put much effort in to it this time round. Still would pick it as one of my desert island games. It's got good replayability.
I find the current location in Mexico a bit bland. I preferred UK in 4 and much preferred Australia in 3. I hope the next one is either in US or Canada but it’ll probably be Asia this time.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I find the current location in Mexico a bit bland. I preferred UK in 4 and much preferred Australia in 3. I hope the next one is either in US or Canada but it’ll probably be Asia this time.
I think Japan would be perfect. Touge Touge Touge.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Forza was so feckin' boring. This generation has been a massive flop so far from MS, let's be real. They're lucky they can pump so much money into putting good third party and indie games on Gamepass. Even then I would say there's been way less quality stuff on it this year than usual.

Sarni

I think Japan would be perfect. Touge Touge Touge.
Japan has been rumored for a while and was even the favorite for 5 so it’s the most likely one. China could be in play as well and UAE would be good though they’d struggle to justify seasons there even more than in Mexico’s case.

mitChley

Forza was so feckin' boring. This generation has been a massive flop so far from MS, let's be real. They're lucky they can pump so much money into putting good third party and indie games on Gamepass. Even then I would say there's been way less quality stuff on it this year than usual.
This recent Forza Horizon I just bounced off constantly. I probably installed and uninstalled it 3 or 4 times after playing 10 minutes. The previous one set in the UK I played plenty of. Shame as I would like a good arcade racing game (and I'm on PC so no GT).

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm getting Jedi survivor tomorrow and I'll get to try out VRR on my new TV.

Question, does that even work for 60fps games or is it just 120 fps?

Bosws87

Works for every game just changes the TV’s refresh rate to match the fps of the game.

BristolRuss

The VRR window will ultimately depend on what TV you have - but yes, it will work on 60 fps games. If your TV has a 120hz panel then it will work no matter the framerate. If it is a 60hz panel it will work as long as the frame rate remains above 40 fps. If you have a PS5 it will work as long as the frame rate remains above 48 fps (even if you have a 120hz panel).