Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dan

Planet of Lana on game pass is a lovely little game. Not particularly challenging at all but if you enjoyed Limbo or Inside this is in the same ballpark.

Visually gorgeous and very atmospheric with a good ol’ sprinkle of emotion.
Loving this game.

Dan

Good, it is a lovely way to spend a few hours.

I whipped through it again as I’d missed a few shrines. It’s dead easy and not a massive challenge but it’s so nicely realised that doesn’t matter so much.
Some parts just seem impossible and then you figure it out.

Herman Toothrot

It's good to turn to gaming now that football is over for the season and nothing important is happening in the sport for the next few months. Especially not this weekend. :wenger:
Yeah but if you're looking for something fun, perhaps not this thread. Xbox is becoming more like the Manchester United of the console world. The glory days of the 360 ended in 2013 and the following decade has promised much but delivered little. An expectant fanbase hoping for big announcements in June prepares for more heartbreak.

Fully Fledged

Yeah but if you're looking for something fun, perhaps not this thread. Xbox is becoming more like the Manchester United of the console world. The glory days of the 360 ended in 2013 and the following decade has promised much but delivered little. An expectant fanbase hoping for big announcements in June prepares for more heartbreak.
Come back after Sunday.

DavelinaJolie

Once again, Starfield is a Bethesda game. They could put it back 10 years and it'll still be filled with bugs.

Shark

@NotShark
The new Amnesia: The Bunker on GP has some serious Resident Evil vibes going on. Really do recommend it for anyone into horror.

DavelinaJolie

And it's a Bethesda game it could be filled with bugs and I'd still play it day 1.
I probably would if it was a TES game, not that fussed about spacey stuff myself. I just don't think the delay, or further delays will make it clean day one.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Some serious cognitive dissonance going on in this thread.
Nah.

There will be on Sunday though when you all pretend Starfield (and the rest) looks shit

Alock1

Once again, Starfield is a Bethesda game. They could put it back 10 years and it'll still be filled with bugs.
It's so much more ambitious than vast majority of console games. It's bound to have bugs considering not just scale but how much simulation is going on in the background vs all other open world games. I'd say only thing similar considering the relative power of its platform is TOTK.

Obviously it can't have game breaking bugs like Cyber Punk but some jank and weird glitches has to be expected.

Let's see. Single platform, next gen only, hopefully some extra focus on polish since the delays.

DavelinaJolie

It's so much more ambitious than vast majority of console games. It's bound to have bugs considering not just scale but how much simulation is going on in the background vs all other open world games. I'd say only thing similar considering the relative power of its platform is TOTK.

Obviously it can't have game breaking bugs like Cyber Punk but some jank and weird glitches has to be expected.

Let's see. Single platform, next gen only, hopefully some extra focus on polish since the delays.
They've been using the scope of their marquee games as justification for the amount of issues for decades now. I think that excuse ran out for them with Skyrim given the range and volume of issues that had.

We'll see, but as a player of TES since Daggerfall, I don't expect a particularly finished experience. Maybe they'll surprise me, and if they do, I'll probably give it a go.

Alock1

They've been using the scope of their marquee games as justification for the amount of issues for decades now. I think that excuse ran out for them with Skyrim given the range and volume of issues that had.

We'll see, but as a player of TES since Daggerfall, I don't expect a particularly finished experience. Maybe they'll surprise me, and if they do, I'll probably give it a go.
And yet it's sold 10s of millions with repeat purchases and considered one of the best games ever.

Interested to see if it has a 60fps performance mode (at launch) or not.

b82REZ

Nah.

There will be on Sunday though when you all pretend Starfield (and the rest) looks shit
My expectations are very low for any Bethesda titles, this has predated the Xbox acquisition. They've not released anything good since 2011.

I do expect it'll look alright but as we already know, it's Fallout in space so the gameplay will be meh.

You know, as does everyone else, if there's anything that looks good, it'll be fecking ages off.

b82REZ

:lol:

Also *cough* Series S *cough*

DavelinaJolie

And yet it's sold 10s of millions with repeat purchases and considered one of the best games ever.
Indeed. Someone can release a broken ass game and still have it sell by the bucketload because we just don't expect any better. Doesn't make it right of course, but who really cares anymore?

Bebe

Interested to see if it has a 60fps performance mode (at launch) or not.
This is standard nowadays no? Redfall notwithstanding, and from what I understand the developers always intended to have a performance mode but had to ship without it last minute due to the well noted development issues?

Alock1

This is standard nowadays no? Redfall notwithstanding, and from what I understand the developers always intended to have a performance mode but had to ship without it last minute due to the well noted development issues?
I dunno really. We haven't had a game of this size or scope on next gen yet.

Remember Starfield isn't like other open world games that just process whats infront of you. Npcs on the other side of the map are going through their daily business and usual routines with tons of systems simulating in the background.

I'd like to think 60fps should be expected on SX but I know people (I think even here?) have said these consoles may struggle when ambitious games hit and devs prioritize systems and/or graphics over performance. I don't know enough to know but hoping that isn't the case here.

Alock1

Indeed. Someone can release a broken ass game and still have it sell by the bucketload because we just don't expect any better. Doesn't make it right of course, but who really cares anymore?
Not what I'm saying. I stopped playing cyberpunk completely due to bugs. I couldn't complete a side mission and separately had a game breaking bug which meant I had to resort to 2hr previous save. I never had anything like that on a Bethesda game (not saying they havent existed for others). But if that exists on Starfield particularly with the delays, platform focus and Microsoft support/money then it deserves any/every criticism it gets.

I am however okay with some jank or weird animation bugs if rare just due to the sheer possibilities in the game. TOTK naturally has strange outcomes and behaviours due to the crazy potential the sandbox offers.

Has to be balance with everything and I'm glad Todd Howard shoots for the moon rather than the safe ubisoft-lite open worlds you get everywhere else.

Last edited:

DavelinaJolie

Has to be balance with everything and I'm glad Todd Howard shoots for the moon rather than the safe ubisoft-lite open worlds you get everywhere else.
I agree that having the kind of radial quest stuff they've introduced before is pretty cool. I would hope they learned from Skyrim, but I'm sceptical until they prove otherwise.

My snark is just I expect better from them by now, and with game prices having been pushed up because supposedly costs are greater, the least we should expect is a finished product for £70. I just think it's truly shit for games publishers to demand more money so they can continue to release "quality" products, but release them in broken states.

Still at least they evolved to fixing it themselves, as opposed to the good old days of Daggerfall when the fans were releasing patches to fix the brokenness. Small mercies I guess.

I'm an old man.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I’m just happy the NPCs on the other end of the map can do their daily shits on the toilet in peace in real time.

Bebe

Not what I'm saying. I stopped playing cyberpunk completely due to bugs. I couldn't complete a side mission and separately had a game breaking bug which meant I had to resort to 2hr previous save. I never had anything like that on a Bethesda game (not saying they havent existed for others). But if that exists on Starfield particularly with the delays, platform focus and Microsoft support/money then it deserves any/every criticism it gets.

I am however okay with some jank or weird animation bugs if rare just due to the sheer possibilities in the game. TOTK naturally has strange outcomes and behaviours due to the crazy potential the sandbox offers.

I somewhat agree, but has anything Bethesda post Skyrim shot for the moon, or anywhere close? I haven't played either Fallout 4 or 76, but my impression is that both games are rather shallow collect and craft-a-thons.

Even Skyrim many argue was dumbed down and unambitious, although I'd argue against that personally. When Skyrim came out with its massive, dense world and amazing atmosphere I felt it was, in some respects, beyond any other game out there. It doesn't seem as though people would say the same about Fallout 4 or 76 in any respect.

Bethesda's last decade is what worries me about Starfield far more than any jank or bugs. Assuming they aren't gamebreaking, I couldn't really care less about that stuff.

BristolRuss

Persona 3 remake and Persona 5 Tactica were leaked early, both due to be announced on Sunday and will both be coming to Game Pass.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Is there a chance we'll see some exciting new RPGs? Next to none I suspect but one can hope.