Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Coxy

Anyone know anything about headsets? Can I get a decent one for £50 or is it not worth it at that price?

(not bothered about the microphone - just want it to play at night so I don't need the TV on loud / waking up the kids).

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Anyone know anything about headsets? Can I get a decent one for £50 or is it not worth it at that price?

(not bothered about the microphone - just want it to play at night so I don't need the TV on loud / waking up the kids).
I just use my beats headset. They're not gaming-specific but work fine.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
So, I've gone from not liking it at first to now buying extra paddles for my controller. The circle is complete.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Extra paddles? To replace the ones it come with?
Nope, I bought 2 extra small ones and now I have 4 small ones in. I could never get used to the bigger ones.

I was worried they were not working, but it turns out cyberpunk is not registering the presses sometimes. They work fine on Cold War.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Nope, I bought 2 extra small ones and now I have 4 small ones in. I could never get used to the bigger ones.

I was worried they were not working, but it turns out cyberpunk is not registering the presses sometimes. They work fine on Cold War.
Nice. Ya it’s class for Cold War. Hair triggers, reducing the amount of pressure needed also in the accessories app is sweet for reactions. I only use 3 paddles - one to slide, one to jump, and the other to reload. Thumbs never leave the sticks.

I’m still meh at the game, but I’m as good as my ability allows which is enjoyable!

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Nice. Ya it’s class for Cold War. Hair triggers, reducing the amount of pressure needed also in the accessories app is sweet for reactions. I only use 3 paddles - one to slide, one to jump, and the other to reload. Thumbs never leave the sticks.

I’m still meh at the game, but I’m as good as my ability allows which is enjoyable!
How about putting left stick click as one of the paddles? So, it's just a press to run. Have you tried that? Someone suggested it so I'm going to try that next.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
How about putting left stick click as one of the paddles? So, it's just a press to run. Have you tried that? Someone suggested it so I'm going to try that next.
its a good idea! Good for sniping too, for holding your breath. I’ve only gotten the hang of 3 paddles though, I’m a bit double jointed so independent pressing with my fingers takes getting used to!!

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
its a good idea! Good for sniping too, for holding your breath. I’ve only gotten the hang of 3 paddles though, I’m a bit double jointed so independent pressing with my fingers takes getting used to!!
Tell me about. It took me weeks to get used to two.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Rocket League is the first game I’ve seen so far where 4k actually improves it, in my opinion. Probably because it’s not meant to look realistic. It’s made stuff too defined in other games. Seeing individual blades of grass from miles away isn’t realistic.

Still not enough to pull me away from performance mode though.
Edit: actually I've changed my mind. It looks bloody lovely in quality mode and still gets 60fps

Last edited:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Really?

Dunno mate. Compare before and afters of Gears, Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves and they look miles better now! Even modern warfare after the high res assets patch.

Unless you mean a pure resolution boost as I guess those things had other settings tacked on too.

ShinjiNinja26

How well you’re doing in this game probably isn’t reflecting your actual ability as the SBMM is out of fecking control! Dare to get over a 2.0k/d and you’ll pay for it next game as your going to get matched up against a bunch of sweaty try hards probably partied up while being expected to carry your whole team at the same time. This shit needs dealt urgently but the devs and Activision are acting like it doesn’t exist.:houllier:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
They need to make the physical games more distinct from the One games. Currently the only difference is small writing underneath the main banner. Not enough, and will cause confusion for those buying gifts etc.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Really?

Dunno mate. Compare before and afters of Gears, Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves and they look miles better now! Even modern warfare after the high res assets patch.

Unless you mean a pure resolution boost as I guess those things had other settings tacked on too.
I don’t mean the next gen updates. They’re great.

I mean when you switch between quality and performance, there’s been a few games where I preferred not to have 4k because there’s too much clarity, which can look kinda funny with game graphics.

Alock1

I don’t mean the next gen updates. They’re great.

I mean when you switch between quality and performance, there’s been a few games where I preferred not to have 4k because there’s too much clarity, which can look kinda funny with game graphics.
Ah got ya - I always pick performance because I value frames more, but I've never thought something looked 'too good'

There are plenty of times when I can't tell the difference in visuals between the 2 modes though, but can feel the framerate

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ah got ya - I always pick performance because I value frames more, but I've never thought something looked 'too good'

There are plenty of times when I can't tell the difference in visuals between the 2 modes though, but can feel the framerate
I found the grass looks kinda weird on AC in 4k. Too defined and unrealistically popping. That’s the best example I’ve seen of it so far. The main reason I went performance though was the fps, for sure.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
How well you’re doing in this game probably isn’t reflecting your actual ability as the SBMM is out of fecking control! Dare to get over a 2.0k/d and you’ll pay for it next game as your going to get matched up against a bunch of sweaty try hards probably partied up while being expected to carry your whole team at the same time. This shit needs dealt urgently but the devs and Activision are acting like it doesn’t exist.:houllier:
i don’t notice too much. I just play Domination and Team Deathmatch. I know the balancing mechanic is there, it just doesn’t really factor in for me.

warzone was a ballache alright, but I’ve not played that in ages as I’ve just decided to grind Cold War instead.

wr8_utd

:'(
Does anyone know what app would work to play 4K/UHD files off a storage device on the Series S? VLC doesn't, the regular media player starts playing it and then crashes. Are there other ways to play it? I really want to not have to play the USB off the regular TV app.

hubbuh

They need to make the physical games more distinct from the One games. Currently the only difference is small writing underneath the main banner. Not enough, and will cause confusion for those buying gifts etc.
I don't understand that sort of corporate decision making. Part of the enjoyment of buying physical copies of games is to admire the box art. They should be trying to make it distinct and iconic.

wr8_utd

Does anyone know what app would work to play 4K/UHD files off a storage device on the Series S? VLC doesn't, the regular media player starts playing it and then crashes. Are there other ways to play it? I really want to not have to play the USB off the regular TV app.
Okay VLC is working now. Seems like it was a minor issue earlier.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don't understand that sort of corporate decision making. Part of the enjoyment of buying physical copies of games is to admire the box art. They should be trying to make it distinct and iconic.
Agreed

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Just got a text from RM that my Series X is (touch wood) arriving tomorrow. Was meant to be a Christmas eve delivery. I'm so excited, still can't decide what I'm going to pay first. Probably Tetris.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Shamwow

The first thing that jumps out to me now are that rocks look quite bad. Same with AC and a few other next gen enhanced games. Unless there's night sunlight splashing on them, they tend to stand out as the worst looking thing, even though they're not necessarily awful looking.

@Redlambs tell your dumbass mates to make better rocks
I love shiny rocks in games.

Has anyone played Immortals: Fenyx Rising on the Xbox? It's £33 on Amazon, might treat myself but I'm thinking I should give Game Pass a whirl first.

Alock1

(they don't really talk about the DLC much other than to say it looks great)

I think we had this conversation a while back that I think in some cases Microsoft will release expansions / story DLC via gamepass to keep people tethered with constant stream of content (I think even @Bojan11 you were less sure and referened Outer Wilds?)

Great to see that this is included within Gamepass without needing to purchase it. Another brand might have sold it as a £50 title, with the next gen Gears 5 patch tied to an ultimate edition :smirk:

Last edited:

wr8_utd

The Series X is reportedly in stock with Amazon France right now and ships to the US and UK.

PS: Delivery by 29th December.

Shamwow

Mine finally arrived this morning. I've set it up but I have to work so my partner is playing on it and she's promptly installed The Sims 4 :rolleyes: