xG limitations

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe I'm doing them a disservice or they have updated their model. Not sure. I'm fairly certain they at least don't account for pressure on the ball though (i.e. how close are the defenders to the shooter or are they blocking parts of the goal). The second issue definitely persists. Chelsea had an 1.3 xG chance vs City for example because they took several high-quality shots in the same phase of play.
they still don't account for defensive positioning or goalkeeper positioning last i checked

Oh and btw: xG models are indeed predictive and are/were used extensively by gamblers. On fact some of the people who developed them were gamblers in the first place

And once again to those interested: use FBRef instead of understat

Paul_Scholes18

they still don't account for defensive positioning or goalkeeper positioning last i checked

Oh and btw: xG models are indeed predictive and are/were used extensively by gamblers. On fact some of the people who developed them were gamblers in the first place

And once again to those interested: use FBRef instead of understat
They only predict the past, but not future performances though. Games change and vary tactically. Just because you have had high xG/many chances in one game doesn't mean you will get it in another one.
Of course they can tell us things, but actually watching the games tells you things differently.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They only predict the past, but not future performances though. Games change and vary tactically. Just because you have had high xG/many chances in one game doesn't mean you will get it in another one.
They actually work pretty well as predicting tools. Again, "professional" gamblers use them extensively, if it didn't work they wouldn't

Paul_Scholes18

They actually work pretty well as predicting tools. Again, "professional" gamblers use them extensively, if it didn't work they wouldn't
I think if you just gamble based on stats you going to get things wrong a lot, but it might work on average. You can't predict things like Pools dominant win this year and Leicesters win with just stats.
Also performance vary a lot from game to game. To predict that you need to get into each teams form, mentality, tactics etc.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think if you just gamble based on stats you going to get things wrong a lot, but it might work on average. You can't predict things like Pools dominant win this year and Leicesters win with just stats.
Also performance vary a lot from game to game. To predict that you need to get into each teams form, mentality, tactics etc.
You can, and a lot of people in fact did(including several people on this here board, including yours truly), predict leicester's fall based on xG/xGA

hmchan

Agree. There are still so many parameters which simply cannot be accurately reflected by any of the models. xG, same as other stats, can be referred to as a reference to prove a certain point (e.g. a more clinical finisher, a better shot stopper), but it's inadequate to summarize a team's overall performance.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Agree. There are still so many parameters which simply cannot be accurately reflected by any of the models. xG, same as other stats, can be referred to as a reference to prove a certain point (e.g. a more clinical finisher, a better shot stopper), but it's inadequate to summarize a team's overall performance.
Once again, no. It is actually pretty good. Not my opinion, there's usually a strong correlation between xG, performance and results

Hence why cases like liverpool(or city this season) are such big talking points. Because they are outliers

hmchan

Once again, no. It is actually pretty good. Not my opinion, there's usually a strong correlation between xG, performance and results

Hence why cases like liverpool(or city this season) are such big talking points. Because they are outliers
Once again, no. It is a good tool to prove a certain point but it's still deficient to summarize a team's overall performance. Maybe one day people could add more parameters to the model and include every action on the pitch, then it's more relevant. Every year top teams are big talking points because they chase for the title, it has nothing to do with xG.

hmchan

Ah so you predicted their 2 best players would get injured
From the way he sets up his argument he'll always win. When a team drops, the xG always predicts its coming; when it doesn't, it is an outlier. I'm a fan of xG and I quote it occassionally myself. The reason why people hate this kind of advanced statistics is that some misuse/misinterpret it deliberately/unknowingly.

Paul_Scholes18

Chances created and results naturally correlate, but you need to predict it for future results as well. Thus you need to analyse tactics and how teams play.
Players being injured etc. Form/fatigue etc. Creating many chances against bottom half teams do not indicate you will do it vs top sides etc. Also analyse how the games go.
I think situational xG can be very good. Like how many chances you create when 1-0 down etc. Could help bet on the odds for games to be turned around, but it also depend on the tactics the opponents use.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You can, and a lot of people in fact did(including several people on this here board, including yours truly), predict leicester's fall based on xG/xGA
Hm. Yes - and it worked out well this time around. But the exact same logic (they can't sustain it) failed spectacularly not too long ago when Leicester actually maintained their unsustainable form long enough to - sensationally - win the PL. If you placed any bets on Leicester's ultimate league position that year in - say - October - based on xG, you'd feck up rather badly.

A couple of years ago Burnley finished 7th in the league. Based on xG back in December, you might want to put a few quid on them being involved in a relegation struggle.

Point being, I suppose, that what works for professional gamblers (who can afford some outliers) does not work - at all - for fans and journalists when they try to predict how individual teams will end up in a given season. There are numerous examples of xG working very poorly as a prediction tool for teams that actually do nothing beyond what is a very common phenomenon in football (and has been so since the dawn of time): namely to keep a bloody good run going (long enough).

Ekeke

From the way he sets up his argument he'll always win. When a team drops, the xG always predicts its coming; when it doesn't, it is an outlier. I'm a fan of xG and I quote it occassionally myself. The reason why people hate this kind of advanced statistics is that some misuse/misinterpret it deliberately/unknowingly.
Yep exactly. Besides I think anyone could predict that a team like Leicester would miss their best players and dont have the same depth as the top clubs, and that they'd eventually start to get tired and have a wobble at some point.

Pagh Wraith

Leicester's "downfall" was also very much tied to Jamie Vardy's hot streak in front of goal early on. I remember a heated debate in October/November about his finishing and some Leicester fans got very defensive when it was pointed out to them that since no player outperforms the xG average by more than 20% and very few by more than 10%, Vardy's 80% above normal was in no way sustainable. He's finished the season with 23 goals from 19.8 xG...

Predicting that was indeed no great feat but people are still so results-oriented (I remember a claim that Vardy scores a particular chance 100% of the time) that I think it's necessary to introduce some data into the argument.

Even with their league win in 2016 you could argue they reverted back to the mean the season after. After all, 38 games is just an arbitrary number that we have decided a season should have. But as we have seen, it is not a big enough sample to make definitive statements about a team's performance level just based off goals and points. Man City being the perfect example who have been rated the best team in the league by the betting markets throughout the season, were healthy favourites when they played Liverpool a few weeks back and are again odds on favourites to win the league next season.

Ekeke

Leicester's "downfall" was also very much tied to Jamie Vardy's hot streak in front of goal early on. I remember a heated debate in October/November about his finishing and some Leicester fans got very defensive when it was pointed out to them that since no player outperforms the xG average by more than 20% and very few by more than 10%, Vardy's 80% above normal was in no way sustainable. He's finished the season with 23 goals from 19.8 xG...

Predicting that was indeed no great feat but people are still so results-oriented (I remember a claim that Vardy scores a particular chance 100% of the time) that I think it's necessary to introduce some data into the argument.

Even with their league win in 2016 you could argue they reverted back to the mean the season after. After all, 38 games is just an arbitrary number that we have decided a season should have. But as we have seen, it is not a big enough sample to make definitive statements about a team's performance level just based off goals and points. Man City being the perfect example who have been rated the best team in the league by the betting markets throughout the season, were healthy favourites when they played Liverpool a few weeks back and are again odds on favourites to win the league next season.
Does it matter that they "reverted back to the mean the season after" though? What matters is that they won the league. I'm sure we'd all love it if United won the league and then reverted back to the mean and were the 3rd best team.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ah so you predicted their 2 best players would get injured
They were already reverting back to the mean before the injuries though :)
Chances created and results naturally correlate, but you need to predict it for future results as well.
Hence why xG models are based on large samples, and why people who know how to use will tell you it takes roughly 1/3 of a season before it becomes truly reliable for predicting purposes

Players being injured etc. Form/fatigue etc.
Yeah, gamblers usually rely more on recent information than season long numbers

Creating many chances against bottom half teams do not indicate you will do it vs top sides etc.
Generally speaking, a team that creates a lot of chances against bottom half teams has a good attack, so it stands to reason that they will create a few against top half sides. Usually the difference here is that top half sides have better defences - but we have xGA to account for that too

Also analyse how the games go.
I think situational xG can be very good. Like how many chances you create when 1-0 down etc.
Situational xG is the biggest point mentioned to explain liverpool's dominant season, particularly vs City. Liverpool were dominant at tied score, extremely dominant when chasing games, and took the hands off the wheel when leading by 2+ goals. City on the other hand really struggled to chase games when down in the score. Yes, we do have the data for that too

Paul_Scholes18

Hence why xG models are based on large samples, and why people who know how to use will tell you it takes roughly 1/3 of a season before it becomes truly reliable for predicting purposes

Generally speaking, a team that creates a lot of chances against bottom half teams has a good attack, so it stands to reason that they will create a few against top half sides. Usually the difference here is that top half sides have better defences - but we have xGA to account for that too

Situational xG is the biggest point mentioned to explain liverpool's dominant season, particularly vs City. Liverpool were dominant at tied score, extremely dominant when chasing games, and took the hands off the wheel when leading by 2+ goals. City on the other hand really struggled to chase games when down in the score. Yes, we do have the data for that too
Yeah using it together with lots of other things certainly works well. Just as you look at past results, goals scored etc.
Situational data is interesting to look at it. I think if you want to gamble seriously you should look up data from each game for the teams you bet at. xG can be good here I think.
My point is just using the average numbers do not give us very much precise data.
I guess you just have to assume that things stay the same and do not change in terms of how well teams play. Then predict maybe that teams will be more or less efficient.

Withnail

You mean they were already tired and not in incredible form for the entire season? No way, nobody could have predicted that
As @Pagh Wraith said Leicester's over-performance in the early part of the season was tied to Vardy out-performing his xg by a ridiculous amount.

That is what the data told us.

Of course Vardy could have continued in the same vain and finished the season with something like 38 league goals but this was highly unlikely.

Ekeke

As @Pagh Wraith said Leicester's over-performance in the early part of the season was tied to Vardy out-performing his xg by a ridiculous amount.

That is what the data told us.

Of course Vardy could have continued in the same vain and finished the season with something like 38 league goals but this was highly unlikely.
It wasnt though. They had other players playing out of their skin and in the second half of the season not so much. Maddison, Soyuncu and Ndidi all found it tougher in the 2nd half of the season. Maddison wasnt scoring anymore and Soyuncu and Ndidi were finding it harder to defend. Their performances dropped without anything to do with Vardy's finishing

hmchan

It wasnt though. They had other players playing out of their skin and in the second half of the season not so much. Maddison, Soyuncu and Ndidi all found it tougher in the 2nd half of the season. Maddison wasnt scoring anymore and Soyuncu and Ndidi were finding it harder to defend. Their performances dropped without anything to do with Vardy's finishing
Switch in formation, absence of players (e.g. Maddison, Chilwell, Pereira, Soyuncu), dipped form of players (e.g. Barnes) all contribute to the fall of Leicester (and Vardy). "Regression to mean" is just oversimplifying the situation and is no more than a lazy explanation looking from hindsight. Fact is, xG gives no idea about when the regression is coming and you can only tell that from the context of the game, which is much more important than xG itself.

Like I said, from the way they set up their argument they'll always win. They explained Leicester's title winning campaign by regression in the next season. Liverpool also outperformed their xG last season, is there any professional gambler bids against them winning this season? Is regression happening? God knows maybe 10 years later when Liverpool drops out of top 4, they'd say they see it coming from the xG.

rollingstoned1

i must admit i didn't know a whole lot about xg and the naysayers will obviously state the obvious and say that the game has a lot more variables to it than what one metric will indicate but i was swayed by how it predicted that our fortunes would swing at the end of last season and that was exactly what happened. If i'm not wrong re Leicester there was an observation that it's predictive ability was more limited when it came to counter attacking teams like Leicester who will create fewer but maybe more easier chances to score on the break.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's one way to look at it. The point being made is that xG metrics were telling us Leicester's results didn't line up with their performances and unless the latter dramatically improved, it was unlikely the results could be sustainable

Lo and behold, that's what happened

Paul_Scholes18

That's one way to look at it. The point being made is that xG metrics were telling us Leicester's results didn't line up with their performances and unless the latter dramatically improved, it was unlikely the results could be sustainable

Efficiency just as performances can change though. Just to assume the xG will stay the same, but the efficiency will not is a bit odd.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Efficiency just as performances can change though. Just to assume the xG will stay the same, but the efficiency will not is a bit odd.
It isn't because xG are built on massive amounts of data. xG aren't the be all end all, infallible metric that solves football, no. But they are usually pretty reliable. The vast majority of the time, xG, performances and results tend to line up with only relatively small deviations - those deviations mostly being down to player quality (hence it's normal for great teams to overperform and shite teams to underperform)

Ekeke

It was always unlikely that a team could play so well all season without doing it in previous seasons. But Leicester did it before and won the league so I guess it was possible.

Thats common sense, nothing to do with xG.

Paul_Scholes18

It isn't because xG are built on massive amounts of data. xG aren't the be all end all, infallible metric that solves football, no. But they are usually pretty reliable. The vast majority of the time, xG, performances and results tend to line up with only relatively small deviations - those deviations mostly being down to player quality (hence it's normal for great teams to overperform and shite teams to underperform)
I agree the metric works well to quantify the quality of chances in games. It is not perfect with that either, but it is doing a very good job at it.
It is using the metric that is the hard part to say what will happen in future. You need assumptions and added knowledge for that to work.

Classical Mechanic

Didn’t Fergie’s sides constantly defy xG!? I know it wasn’t really around then but I’m sure I read somewhere they’d analysed it and we were an anomaly.
I bet in 2013 we did. Worst Fergie side to win a title. Mostly down to RVP’s incredible finishing. I think the 99 side that won 3 titles in a row, two of them easily less so.

Withnail

It was always unlikely that a team could play so well all season without doing it in previous seasons. But Leicester did it before and won the league so I guess it was possible.

Thats common sense, nothing to do with xG.
Except that's not exactly true.

In their title-winning year they didn't outperform xg, they out-performed xg against, as they have this season, and I wasn't paying enough attention to know what factors went into that but it was a different scenario.

However, in the early part of the season the main thing that stood out like a sore thumb was that Vardy was scoring a goal a game and the team weren't creating a huge amount of chances, hence he and the team were out-performing xg significantly.

What we said at the time was that they would have to improve their general performance and increase their chance creation or it was likely that they wouldn't keep scoring as many goals and results would suffer.

This was in response to people claiming that they'd challenge for the title or were one of the best sides in europe etc etc

Then as you say their performances actually dropped and they were hit with injuries etc and they dropped out of the top 4 but it wasn't a given that performance would drop off that much and they really could have scraped top 4 with a little luck.

Crashoutcassius

as people have said, xg isn't perfect, but is consistently going to outperform fans on forum in its analysis of a game, let alone the complexity multiple games / a season brings, so still highly relevant

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I agree the metric works well to quantify the quality of chances in games. It is not perfect with that either, but it is doing a very good job at it.
It is using the metric that is the hard part to say what will happen in future. You need assumptions and added knowledge for that to work.
It's great as a predicting tool over a long stretch of games. Because it's based on averages, and those tend to play put over a whole season, exceptions tend to be rare

For individual games yeah, it's not as good, but still very good

hmchan

Except that's not exactly true.

In their title-winning year they didn't outperform xg, they out-performed xg against, as they have this season, and I wasn't paying enough attention to know what factors went into that but it was a different scenario.

However, in the early part of the season the main thing that stood out like a sore thumb was that Vardy was scoring a goal a game and the team weren't creating a huge amount of chances, hence he and the team were out-performing xg significantly.

What we said at the time was that they would have to improve their general performance and increase their chance creation or it was likely that they wouldn't keep scoring as many goals and results would suffer.

This was in response to people claiming that they'd challenge for the title or were one of the best sides in europe etc etc

Then as you say their performances actually dropped and they were hit with injuries etc and they dropped out of the top 4 but it wasn't a given that performance would drop off that much and they really could have scraped top 4 with a little luck.
Using your logic, Leicester would have to improve their general performance and improve their defence in their title winning campaign or it was likely that they wouldn't keep shutting out opponents and results would suffer, because they significantly outperformed their xGA. The result speaks for itself.

Withnail

Using your logic, Leicester would have to improve their general performance and improve their defence in their title winning campaign or it was likely that they wouldn't keep shutting out opponents and results would suffer, because they significantly outperformed their xGA. The result speaks for itself.
Now you're just being facetious.

As I said I don't know the factors involved in Leicester's PL winning campaign but over the course of that season they outperformed xga by something like 9 goals which is not unheard of. Just look at Newcastle, Wolves and Sheffield United this year. Although many people were wondering if Leicester could keep it up that year. As it turns out that they managed to stay ahead of the other teams.

In the early part of the season both Leicester and Vardy were outperforming xg at an unprecedented rate and Rodgers was the second coming of Christ. After 11 games or so they were +12 on xg and -5 on xg against. This appeared to be unsustainable especially for a club like Leicester, given their over-reliance on Vardy, squad depth etc. They weren't creating a huge amount of chances and teams were creating chances against them.

Of course Vardy could have continued this performance and finished the campaign with 35 - 40 league goals and they also could have continued in the same vein defensively and ended up with a lower goals against figure than Liverpool with a much higer xga but that was unlikely.

Xg is just a metric like any other and gives us more information. I don't know why you're so bothered by it.

As others have said it's not perfect and should be taken in conjunction with all the other data to give us a better overall picture of what is going on.

Fingeredmouse

I'm not sure what the controversy is here. Metrics are simply how analysts model reality to interpret and infer.
Xg is clearly an interesting and useful metric with decent and demonstrable predictive validity.

hmchan

I bet in 2013 we did. Worst Fergie side to win a title. Mostly down to RVP’s incredible finishing. I think the 99 side that won 3 titles in a row, two of them easily less so.
In this sense we can't blame Moyes, van Gaal or Mourinho for the decline in recent years. It's just "regression to mean" according to the xG extremists and we can do nothing about it.

Classical Mechanic

In this sense we can't blame Moyes, van Gaal or Mourinho for the decline in recent years. It's just "regression to mean" according to the xG extremists and we can do nothing about it.
That's a little simplistic but the rot definitely started in Fergie's later years, which of our top players from the 08 CL winning side did he successfully replace before leaving in 2013? He overestimated the quality of many of the replacements he signed.

Moyes and LVG had the means in the transfer market to fix those problems though. If we'd have brought in a top manager straight after Fergie they would have highly likely have brought some new quality into the squad. Appointing Moyes just accelerated the rot massively. It sent us into a downward spiral that we're still fighting to get out of.

Pagh Wraith

I also think we shouldn't get too hung up on xG itself. It's just one metric to paint us a picture of how teams are performing. A very good and easy-to-use one while still being very accurate at that. I'd be happy just for people to acknowledge that there is very often a discrepancy between performances and results (even over 10, 20 or more games) and the latter are a function of the former and not the other way around. This would go a long way in improving discussions about football in general. I genuinely believe most people would be better informed if they never looked at the scorelines.