xG limitations

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As mentioned before, the Liverpool scenario is commonplace - across all regions of the table, i.e. that a single team maintain an "unsustainable" run over large parts of a season. It happens all the time - happened for us in Jose's second season, for instance ("should have" finished 6th, I think - possibly even worse). Several teams in the last few seasons "should have" been relegated too - but ended up very snugly a fair way up the table.

ETA And Leicester, of course. "Should have" finished 4th the season they won it (which still would have been pretty impressive, one could add).

But as we know, xG is not a perfect prediction tool, and was not designed to be (but it is used as such by many). And statistically speaking, something like that is just an outlier - it's not an indication that the model is seriously flawed. It's a very conspicuous outlier, of course, so there's a story in it.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Useless stats in the long run.

If you have more chances but score none it still means you're shit.

xG is only relevant if you're shit. If you're good, top of the table or actually winning stuff you wont give a damn about xG

It's a trivial stat made like some sort of holy grail when your team was not performing very well

hmchan

Fbref.com uses StatsBomb data so they're the most accurate around.
Had a quick comparison between Understat and Fbref and it seems that Understat has been consistently more lenient in terms of xG (a higher xG for the same shot). It isn't significant though as long as you only compare within the same model.

Paul_Scholes18

It is a very limited tool. Since it involves things like blocked shoots too and no not account for chances with no shoots taken at all. Some teams wait or take mainly quality chances for them. Other shoot at everything.
To analyse the flow of a game you need to actually watch the game or look more at depth with the stat. Just looking at a full season stats gives you very little.

Pagh Wraith

Had a quick comparison between Understat and Fbref and it seems that Understat has been consistently more lenient in terms of xG (a higher xG for the same shot). It isn't significant though as long as you only compare within the same model.
One of the biggest differences is that the StatsBomb model uses (among many other variables) defensive pressure on the shooter and number of defenders between shot and goalline which Understat's model completely ignores. So in an extreme case a player rounding the goalkeeper outside the box will show up as <0.1 xG on Understat as it gets lumped in with other shots from outside the box. Also you cannot generate more than 1.0 xG from the same chance (if multiple shots are taken) but Understat records every shot individually which can lead to inaccurate numbers.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No, it's based on averages, so better teams should have better strikers, therefore be outperforming their XG.

I'd argue comparing Liverpool's vs. City's XG does not show that XG is flawed, it shows that Liverpool's shot takers are more clinical and better at shooting than City's. You could conclude that City therefore need better forwards, but their front line are particularly good at creating chances, and swapping out Sterling with a more clinical forward for example would reduce chance creation, so it's a fine balance.

City = better at chance creating.
Liverpool = better at converting chances.
This is all XG shows, and it does that well. If you think it's a predictor of the future, then yes it is flawed.
Or it could just mean that Liverpool have had an exceptional year where everything has gone their way. I think they will drop more points next season. It’s very hard to keep up perfection for 3 seasons in a row.

Last edited:

Lentwood

The point of having Data like xG is to highlight anomalies and in doing so highlight teams or players who over-perform or under-perform, generally speaking. The fact that the Premier League table and the xG table don't mirror each other is perfectly normal - it's actually the whole point of doing it in the first place!

If you think about it even for a second, it's perfectly logical that Liverpool might be able to perform so well without actually posting extraordinary xG numbers. Say they are playing Palace away and it's been a tight game of few chances. The ball bobbles around the Liverpool penalty area at 0-0, it falls to Jordan Ayew (sorry to pick on someone!) who has an 'expected' chance of 75% (to score) but hits his shot slightly too close to Allisson (who now has a 40% chance to make the save) and in-turn Allisson, being a world-class goalkeeper, manages to turn it away for a corner.

Ten minutes later, Salah picks the ball up 25-yards from goal, he lines up a shot from an angle with an xG of 0.10 but strikes it sweetly on his left-foot and it flies straight into the top corner to give Liverpool a 1-0 lead, after which they go on to win the game.

Most football matches play out this way and it's one of my biggest frustrations generally when watching football that fans and pundits can't see the millions of tiny fractions that make up the result of a football match. I've lost track of the number of times a pundit says 'such and such team where totally dominant' or 'such and such team where very poor' when in actual fact what we just watched was a 50:50 game decided by a couple of percentage points going in favour of one team on the day.

Utd vs West Ham was a perfect example of this earlier in the season when we where beaten 0-2 away. We where average but created one great chance to score which Maguire fluffed. They where average and created two very difficult opportunities for Yamalenko and Cresswell, both of which where scored. On another day, Maguire scores the easy chance, you win 1-0 and it's labelled a 'professional performance' or 'the type of performance that wins you titles'. Instead, as usual West Ham where 'absolutely fantastic' and Utd where 'hopeless'.

In short, better players (and of course luck!) make the difference when small fractions are involved...who would have thought it?

It's not surprising the bloke who led on the analysis (brentford fella) was a professional gambler because these guys cut through the 'noise' and look at the hard facts, knowing if they keep making 'value' calls against the grain they will win long term.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
...and Watford who should have been well clear (and only 1 point behind Spurs).
Yeah, that stands out a bit.

I was browsing the xG tables for the past few seasons not long ago, and it seems to be uncommon for a relegated team to under-perform by that many points (almost 14).

Then again, Norwich under-performed significantly too (but would've gone down regardless).

TheGodsInRed

Or it could just mean that Liverpool have had an exceptional year where everything has gone their way. I think they will drop more points next season. It’s very hard to keep up perfection for 3 seasons in a row.
Yep, it could mean that. It is hard to think they will hit around 100 points again, but their XG numbers were similar the season before so I think they are just an efficient team.

RK

The way I usually explain xG is starting from goals. Ideally we'd measure all performance based on goals (or points) but they're rare events. An average team will only score 50 goals over a whole league season which is a very limited sample size in statistical terms. Raw goal tallies are highly susceptible to randomness and can often mask underlying performance.

So the logic was to take a step back from goals, losing some of the ultimate clarity but gaining significantly in sample size. That was done by looking at shots. An average team will have 500 shots per season, which gives analysts more to go on.

It was apparent from the start that using raw shot tallies was extremely limited - not all shots are equal. Over the years, more and more complexity has been added into the shot models (xG models) to account for the variability in shot quality. Some models are better than others. Experimental models are looking at going even further back - possessions (passes, phases of play) etc. Again, this increases the sample size but at the cost of losing even more clarity on the ultimate metric.

Liverpool have been fortunate in some ways (high xGA) but valid "over"-performance in other ways (strong set pieces). Regardless of coaching, it seems unlikely that we'll see the same level of over-performance again next season. Admittedly I said the same last year... but I'll hold faith in the numbers one more time.

Pagh Wraith

Yeah, that stands out a bit.

I was browsing the xG tables for the past few seasons not long ago, and it seems to be uncommon for a relegated team to under-perform by that many points (almost 14).
Think that's to be expected (pardon the pun).

All the xG values are averages and every team naturally deviates from that. Every shot does if you think about it. There can only be two outcomes: goal or no goal, 1 or 0. But every shot taken has a value that is not 1 or 0 but in between. So every goal in isolation is technically a case of outperfoming the expectation as the expectation is never 1. It makes sense then the winners are likely to have overperformed unless they are so good to be able to 'afford' underperforming. That's not very scientific language but I hope it makes sense.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If you think about it even for a second, it's perfectly logical that Liverpool might be able to perform so well without actually posting extraordinary xG numbers.
Well, yes.

And there isn't a single PL champion in recent years that did not significantly out-perform xP.

Liverpool are still extreme though. They outperformed xP by almost 25 points. By comparison, City out-performed xP by 7 the season before.

Paul_Scholes18

All the xG values are averages and every team naturally deviates from that. Every shot does if you think about it. There can only be two outcomes: goal or no goal, 1 or 0. But every shot taken has a value that is not 1 or 0 but in between. So every goal in isolation is technically a case of outperfoming the expectation as the expectation is never 1. It makes sense then the winners are likely to have overperformed unless they are so good to be able to 'afford' underperforming. That's not very scientific language but I hope it makes sense.
Yeah and it is only overperforming in converting chances and maybe defending/goalkeeping. It is natural that quality teams in good momentum and flow can do that.
You can still dominate games without missing lots of chances and that needs to be accounted for.
Still I think Liverpool have not overperformed xG that much though and it is more that they get narrow wins more often than expected.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Yes...you're right. The under-performance, as such, is no surprise (relegated teams over-performing xP are outliers). Still, Watford are the worst under-performers in recent memory - out of teams that actually ended up going down.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The point of having Data like xG is to highlight anomalies and in doing so highlight teams or players who over-perform or under-perform, generally speaking. The fact that the Premier League table and the xG table don't mirror each other is perfectly normal - it's actually the whole point of doing it in the first place!

If you think about it even for a second, it's perfectly logical that Liverpool might be able to perform so well without actually posting extraordinary xG numbers. Say they are playing Palace away and it's been a tight game of few chances. The ball bobbles around the Liverpool penalty area at 0-0, it falls to Jordan Ayew (sorry to pick on someone!) who has an 'expected' chance of 75% (to score) but hits his shot slightly too close to Allisson (who now has a 40% chance to make the save) and in-turn Allisson, being a world-class goalkeeper, manages to turn it away for a corner.

Ten minutes later, Salah picks the ball up 25-yards from goal, he lines up a shot from an angle with an xG of 0.10 but strikes it sweetly on his left-foot and it flies straight into the top corner to give Liverpool a 1-0 lead, after which they go on to win the game.

Most football matches play out this way and it's one of my biggest frustrations generally when watching football that fans and pundits can't see the millions of tiny fractions that make up the result of a football match. I've lost track of the number of times a pundit says 'such and such team where totally dominant' or 'such and such team where very poor' when in actual fact what we just watched was a 50:50 game decided by a couple of percentage points going in favour of one team on the day.

Utd vs West Ham was a perfect example of this earlier in the season when we where beaten 0-2 away. We where average but created one great chance to score which Maguire fluffed. They where average and created two very difficult opportunities for Yamalenko and Cresswell, both of which where scored. On another day, Maguire scores the easy chance, you win 1-0 and it's labelled a 'professional performance' or 'the type of performance that wins you titles'. Instead, as usual West Ham where 'absolutely fantastic' and Utd where 'hopeless'.

In short, better players (and of course luck!) make the difference when small fractions are involved...who would have thought it?

It's not surprising the bloke who led on the analysis (brentford fella) was a professional gambler because these guys cut through the 'noise' and look at the hard facts, knowing if they keep making 'value' calls against the grain they will win long term.
Excellent post.

False narratives are really ingrained throughout the football ecosystem - pundits, supporters, managers too. People love inevitability narratives, the idea of a "professional performance," one side being "always comfortable" against a worse side, tactical substitutions making a decisive difference, etc. They can't wrap their heads around the idea that a huge proportion of matches are pretty even and decided by how the ball happens to bounce on a few critical occasions or whether Player A can take his 30% chance or Player B can take his 20% chance.

Amarsdd

Useless stats in the long run.

If you have more chances but score none it still means you're shit.

xG is only relevant if you're shit. If you're good, top of the table or actually winning stuff you wont give a damn about xG

It's a trivial stat made like some sort of holy grail when your team was not performing very well
Weirdly antagonistic way of looking at it.

xG stats is just a statistical tool to analyze performance. Most if not all clubs use it to good effect. Its just people who argue for it or against it without properly understanding it and having incorrect expectations of it is the biggest problem.

Pagh Wraith

Yes that was a really good post.

The part about the pundits is so true and yet frustrating because they are the ones creating the (often false) talking points.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Its just people who argue for it or against it without properly understanding it and having incorrect expectations of it is the biggest problem.
True - and a major factor there is that both fans and journos tend to use it as a prediction tool, or more precisely as a tool for predicting short-term (relatively speaking) results. And it isn't reliable at all for that.

hmchan

One of the biggest differences is that the StatsBomb model uses (among many other variables) defensive pressure on the shooter and number of defenders between shot and goalline which Understat's model completely ignores. So in an extreme case a player rounding the goalkeeper outside the box will show up as <0.1 xG on Understat as it gets lumped in with other shots from outside the box. Also you cannot generate more than 1.0 xG from the same chance (if multiple shots are taken) but Understat records every shot individually which can lead to inaccurate numbers.
Is this really the case though? I'm no expert in this aspect and I'm not pretending to be one, but I genuinely think every xG model takes defensive actions into account and it's essentially one of the definitions of xG. I've looked up the situation you mentioned and the closest thing I can find is Harvey Barnes' goal against Villa. The xG according to Understat is 0.45, which is significantly higher than a random shot outside the box (<0.1).

hmchan

This is actually one of the reasons why we have a nice xGA stat this season. Many teams, particularly in the first half of the season, scored a goal with a low xG and then decided to sit back for the rest of the match.

Classical Mechanic

True - and a major factor there is that both fans and journos tend to use it as a prediction tool, or more precisely as a tool for predicting short-term (relatively speaking) results. And it isn't reliable at all for that.
I don't know. I used it to predict Vardy's likely goal output back in November after many were claiming he'd hit over 30 and I was pretty cock on.

What the stats tell you about Vardy is that he if continues scoring at his current rate then he'll hit about 35 goals. xG tells you that he'd be outperforming the mean from the quality of his chances created by about 18 if he continues like this to the end of the season. I don't recall a player ever scoring more than 10 (Messi) than xG predicted for them.

His xG only predicts him to score 22 if he reverted to the mean from now on from the chances Leicester are creating for him currently, which would take him back to match his best performance against the mean previously. It's not impossible for him to continue this vein of form but it's exceptionally unlikely.

Vardy's best performance against the mean was +5 (rounded) in 17/18 so if he repeated that he'd hit 21 - 22. If he could match Kane's (+9) or Messi's (+10) best performance against the mean then he'd hit 25 -27.

So unless Leicester improve their chance creation significantly or Vardy has the most remarkable season by a striker in the last 6 years then it wouldn't be sensible to bet on him hitting 30. I think the sensible estimate would be 22 - 27.

Any corrections or data for other xG models welcome.

Source

https://understat.com/player/755
I could have bodged that in fairness and just got there by accident. It's not an accurate predictor of course but it suggests what you may reasonably expect, as loaded as such a statement is.

Last edited:

Amarsdd

I would be a lot more skeptical if it was purported to be a prediction tool. But yeah, it is not.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There are people who disparage xG yet rely on weather forecasts every morning.
:lol:

On a side note (kind of), I was in the military back in the day, serving at a naval base: one of my duties was to raise the flag every morning. That was a bit of a science, as you couldn't just raise any flag - it had to be the right size and shape according to the wind conditions. My superior officer was an old fecker who had been on boats all his life. He would stick his nose out the window, smell the air for about ten seconds, and then determine precisely how strong the wind was (mps, m/s, whathaveya). He was never wrong. And he could also "smell" whether it would rain or not - and pretty feckin' accurately determine, based on the clouds, WHEN it would start raining too.

Not sure whether he'd be a fan of xG, though. Probably not.

Keep in mind there are multiple xG models out there. Often we see the understat one used, because it's free, but the understat model for example is notoriously one of the most basic and not particularly good

To my knowledge they and infogol are also the only ones to use xPoints

xPoints based on xG are not good models in general imho, unless they manage to introduce game states into it
Was about to post that. A lot of clubs use proprietary models or at least buy expensive versions that Joe Public doesnt get to see. It's become a huge part of player scouting.

Understat is the equivalent of whoscored.com, i.e good for a rough idea but otherwise very flawed.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
:lol:

On a side note (kind of), I was in the military back in the day, serving at a naval base: one of my duties was to raise the flag every morning. That was a bit of a science, as you couldn't just raise any flag - it had to be the right size and shape according to the wind conditions. My superior officer was an old fecker who had been on boats all his life. He would stick his nose out the window, smell the air for about ten seconds, and then determine precisely how strong the wind was (mps, m/s, whathaveya). He was never wrong. And he could also "smell" whether it would rain or not - and pretty feckin' accurately determine, based on the clouds, WHEN it would start raining too.

Not sure whether he'd be a fan of xG, though. Probably not.
:D My grandpa was a farmer and had the same skillset. Knew when rain would come, knew the right day to plant, and so on.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
No, it's based on averages, so better teams should have better strikers, therefore be outperforming their XG.
Although the quality of a great striker can also be to easily create good chances without being a particularly good finisher, in which case the result would be that the team has a relatively high xG, without necessarily outperforming it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Weirdly antagonistic way of looking at it.

xG stats is just a statistical tool to analyze performance. Most if not all clubs use it to good effect. Its just people who argue for it or against it without properly understanding it and having incorrect expectations of it is the biggest problem.
Because whenever it was brought up vehemently is when your team is performing to the opposite of xG.

Manchester Under Mou : Pts wise vs. xG : very different
Manchester Under Ole : Pts wise vs. xG : very different

For me the only thing that matters in the league is position in the table, anything else is Ifs and buts. It should be taken as nothing but a minor foot note. At the end of the day, you either score, or you don't.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yep, couldn't give a feck about xG and I tend to tune out as soon as someone brings it up. I don't think football lends itself to those kinds of statistics as well as other sports like baseball or basketball.

Amarsdd

Because whenever it was brought up vehemently is when your team is performing to the opposite of xG.

Manchester Under Mou : Pts wise vs. xG : very different
Manchester Under Ole : Pts wise vs. xG : very different

For me the only thing that matters in the league is position in the table, anything else is Ifs and buts. It should be taken as nothing but a minor foot note. At the end of the day, you either score, or you don't.
Each to their own I guess. If someone's substituting xg stats for points or score then obviously thats wrong. Its just a measure for performance. And as its football, performance doesn't always equal result.

Pagh Wraith

Is this really the case though? I'm no expert in this aspect and I'm not pretending to be one, but I genuinely think every xG model takes defensive actions into account and it's essentially one of the definitions of xG. I've looked up the situation you mentioned and the closest thing I can find is Harvey Barnes' goal against Villa. The xG according to Understat is 0.45, which is significantly higher than a random shot outside the box (<0.1).
Maybe I'm doing them a disservice or they have updated their model. Not sure. I'm fairly certain they at least don't account for pressure on the ball though (i.e. how close are the defenders to the shooter or are they blocking parts of the goal). The second issue definitely persists. Chelsea had an 1.3 xG chance vs City for example because they took several high-quality shots in the same phase of play.