Gaming Yakuza and Judgement (series)

Hoof the ball

Judgement and Lost Judgement were both really good, a little less of the tailing suspect stuff and it would have been ever better.

I pre-ordered Infinite Wealth even though it goes against usually waiting for reviews. I know what I’m getting with these games, I loved Like a Dragon so they can have my money Day 1.
Oh man. Love me some Saori Shirosaki!

Ainu

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is sitting on 90% from 58 reviews on OpenCritic right now, with many calling it the best game in the series. My poor backlog. :(

Still a couple of games to go for me until I get there, but I'm already looking forward to it.

Hoof the ball

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is sitting on 90% from 58 reviews on OpenCritic right now, with many calling it the best game in the series. My poor backlog. :(

Still a couple of games to go for me until I get there, but I'm already looking forward to it.
Presume you've not played Like a Dragon Gaiden yet? That's a lead into Infinite Wealth; I've not played it yet, so, I'm gonna crack at that first.

Leg-End

Music to my pre-ordered ears.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Presume you've not played Like a Dragon Gaiden yet? That's a lead into Infinite Wealth; I've not played it yet, so, I'm gonna crack at that first.
Gaiden was kinda meh, I think watching a youtube recap leading into Infinite Wealth would be better even.

Ainu

Not yet, no. Still got Lost Judgement, Ishin and Gaiden to go. I know the first two aren't connected, but I want to play them anyway.

Kaos

Really looking forward to this, I absolutely adore the Yakuza games. Even the absolute worst one is a 7.5/10 for me.

Having said that, I took one look at the deluxe edition comparisons and got a little sick:

They've gone full Ubisoft on this one. Its not just cosmetic bonuses, but they're locking something like New Game+ behind an additional premium paywall, as well as heaps of content like dungeons and karaoke tracks behind the premium editions. Really soured the excitement for me. The base game is essentially Yakuza-lite when you're scavenging core single player mechanics and content from it and throwing it behind a paywall.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Really looking forward to this, I absolutely adore the Yakuza games. Even the absolute worst one is a 7.5/10 for me.

Having said that, I took one look at the deluxe edition comparisons and got a little sick:

They've gone full Ubisoft on this one. Its not just cosmetic bonuses, but they're locking something like New Game+ behind an additional premium paywall, as well as heaps of content like dungeons and karaoke tracks behind the premium editions. Really soured the excitement for me. The base game is essentially Yakuza-lite when you're scavenging core single player mechanics and content from it and throwing it behind a paywall.
That's stretching it a bit considering how large the base game and it's side content is, but I agree they should at least never lock NG+ behind a paywall.

Kaos

That's stretching it a bit considering how large the base game and it's side content is, but I agree they should at least never lock NG+ behind a paywall.
Call me naive but I was hoping they'd only stick to cosmetics in regard to premium bonuses. I hate the FOMO of missing dungeons because I only have the 'base game'. NG+ being locked behind a paywall is inexcusable though.

AaronRedDevil

Anyone play Genshin? Finished it last month. I swear Yakuza does it to me everytime. I'd be so bored or fed up through most of the game and then the last few chapters amps it up to 11 and its epic as hell. I'm either cheering or bawling my eyes out.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Call me naive but I was hoping they'd only stick to cosmetics in regard to premium bonuses. I hate the FOMO of missing dungeons because I only have the 'base game'. NG+ being locked behind a paywall is inexcusable though.
Sega Japan did this for previous releases in Japan too, it's a shame they moved this shit to the western releases as well. I'm hoping the backlash will make them change their minds but it doesn't look big enough as of now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Looking forward to this. I really enjoyed Like A Dragon. I think my tier list is something like:
Yakuza 0 >>>> Like A Dragon > Kiwami 2 >> the rest

Last edited:

Kaos

Looking forward to this. I really enjoyed Like A Dragon. I think my tier list is something like:
Yakuza 0 >>>> Like A Dragon >> the rest
Yeah that's my list too. Kiwami 2 is very close to Like a Dragon for me though.

DWelbz19

Yeah that's my list too. Kiwami 2 is very close to Like a Dragon for me though.
I think you’re right, actually. Slight amend. That was the one with the cabaret mini game right? Really enjoyed that :lol:

Kaos

I think you’re right, actually. Slight amend. That was the one with the cabaret mini game right? Really enjoyed that :lol:
What do you mean? The cabaret WAS the game, the whole main story was just an obligatory side distraction. I'm pretty sure I left Haruka kidnapped for weeks while building my cabaret empire and ensuring I get one over those cnuts down the road.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yakuza 0 >>>> Like A Dragon > Kiwami 2 >> the rest
Personally while 0 is easily the best and a proper classic title, I like the Judgement games more than the rest (haven’t played Isshin). Like a Dragon seemed good but way too bloated and also im absolutely useless at turn based combat.

Good to hear that this is good but they need to stop charging for NG plus.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Personally while 0 is easily the best and a proper classic title, I like the Judgement games more than the rest (haven’t played Isshin). Like a Dragon seemed good but way too bloated and also im absolutely useless at turn based combat.

Good to hear that this is good but they need to stop charging for NG plus.
While Yakuza is my favorite series I didn't like Judgement at all. Something about court dramas that really make me not enjoy them.

Kaos

Right I caved and got this day one. Didn't go for the premium/ultimate edition because feck Sega for that NG+ nonsense.

Got my weekend cleared up for it.

Kaos

Right so just a warning, the game seemingly starts of painfully slow. I've only played two hours and its mostly been cut scenes and pissing about in Yokohama balancing your work and love life :lol:

DWelbz19

Right so just a warning, the game seemingly starts of painfully slow. I've only played two hours and its mostly been cut scenes and pissing about in Yokohama balancing your work and love life :lol:
Definitely agree. I think it's only about 4-5 hours in that you actually get to Hawaii when the game starts to open up with side-quests and letting you free roam.

I'm a little past that now, I think I've reached the first boss battle. It's good, but definitely seems a slow burner. I've only just now got a fourth party member.

Unlocked the Sujimon side content. Hope there's another one similar to the Cabaret club in Yakuza 0 or the Majima Construction stuff in Yakuza 2 remake.

Kaos

Definitely agree. I think it's only about 4-5 hours in that you actually get to Hawaii when the game starts to open up with side-quests and letting you free roam.

I'm a little past that now, I think I've reached the first boss battle. It's good, but definitely seems a slow burner. I've only just now got a fourth party member.

Unlocked the Sujimon side content. Hope there's another one similar to the Cabaret club in Yakuza 0 or the Majima Construction stuff in Yakuza 2 remake.
Yeah, think the reviews mention the 8 hour mark being the point where it all clicks and everything truly opens up.

Usually I roll my eyes whenever games promise you it gets better after 'X amount of hours' (that's just poor game design in my view, cough FF13), but I did enjoy the first hours treating it like a mild soap opera appetiser for the game.

Sooner or later I'll just spend several hours playing the mini games like I always do with the Yakuza series :lol:

Cloud7

The amount of side content in this game is insane. The island mini game is really addictive. It’s like animal crossing without being time gated by real time. I spent like the last day and a half just playing on the island. I’m on the cusp of five stars, but alas, I have to go do real work :(

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Just finished Judgement.

Excellent story and on par with Yakuza Zero in terms of drawing you in although it draws you in much earlier in the game.

Have a tonne of side missions left to do, but I’ll leave it as they feel very samey.

DWelbz19

On about chapter 10 of Yakuza Infinite Wealth now.

I'd say it very much feels like a pretty typical sequel: the plot, pacing, and themes of Like a Dragon were a lot stronger, but Infinite Wealth improves the gameplay, and quality of life issues.

Only major downside for me: I don't like the main minigames! The Sujimon is... eh, and I haven't fully got into the Island stuff yet. I'm sure it gets better when you unlock more of the Island.

Moby

Dick
Only major downside for me: I don't like the main minigames! The Sujimon is... eh, and I haven't fully got into the Island stuff yet. I'm sure it gets better when you unlock more of the Island.
The mini games in Like A Dragon were pretty whacky as well :lol: