Yann Sommer | January transfer to Bayern on the cards

Nero

Yet another mooted goalkeeper who belongs in De Gea's shadow.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Looked like Dean Henderson with a hairband for that last one.

Swiss_Red89

Oh dear...Great goalkeeper Yann is...But i can see the caf in full meltdown after such a game and myself the only one defending him...

NoPace

Couldn't imagine De Gea conceding 6 in a game.
In some ways the first 2 goals were a microcosm of the issues here. Keepers, broadly speaking, have 4 main jobs now: Shot stopping, passing, dealing with crosses, 1 on 1s. I include the 4th because Allison is probably the 2nd best keeper in the world behind Courtois, and it's largely based on his ability in 1 on 1s and then being above average but not elite in the other categories.

The first goal, Ramos' near post stunner, you'd say De Gea might have made a miracle save for. The 2nd goal was a problem both Sommer and De Gea have, dealing with crosses.

We really need a keeper who can do everything at a reasonable level with one elite quality. That's not Sommer or De Gea, really.

But yeah, Swiss probably lose 3-4 nil with De Gea in net tonight I think.

Black Alabaster

Yet another mooted goalkeeper who belongs in De Gea's shadow.
Close thread and burn it down for good measure
Looked like Dean Henderson with a hairband for that last one.
Not sure about him. I find him inconsistent, usually performs for Switzerland though.
:lol: He did look rubbish didn't he. Good timing with the praise and De Gea slander going on.

To be fair though he is usually better than that but at 33 and with De Geas visible improvement under ETH, we should not be going near this bloke.

If there is still hunger to get rid of De Gea with his contract needing reviewing at end of the season, our next keeper should be from the new crop of upcoming lads so they can grow with the team. Just getting one of these mid level european guys in there 30's that have spent their careers in mid table clubs because they are seemingly "more reliable" than DDG when he was out of form is not worth it. We should definitely aim for excelllence if we are going to upgrade this position!

Oh dear...Great goalkeeper Yann is...But i can see the caf in full meltdown after such a game and myself the only one defending him...
:lol: Don't worry mate bit of reactionary banter is fun really, I don't rate him worthy of chucking DDG for though. On a reduced contract I think DDG could improve all his metrics in that keepers comparison someone posted earlier under ETH over a season and allow us to spend on other areas. Atleast for a few more years, where there wil be more young keepers establishing themselves we can look at. We also have Radek Vitek who is making waves in academy could be a shout he is a mountain at 19. Few loans he could be one.

RedDevilRoshi

I thought we were looking to sign the Moroccan GK from Sevilla - Bono?

Unless we are looking to bring both in (one this month & the other in the summer) and let DDG leave in the summer?

Varun1

Heavily linked to Bayern Munich, isn't he? Will probably end up 3rd keeper after Neuer comes back from injury, and Nubel from his loan spell - although I think it's a 2 year loan agreement.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Wouldn't read too much into what Alex Crook says, he also said this about Gakpo:

Speako

Heavily linked to Bayern Munich, isn't he? Will probably end up 3rd keeper after Neuer comes back from injury, and Nubel from his loan spell - although I think it's a 2 year loan agreement.
Yep, this most likely outcome.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Wouldn't read too much into what Alex Crook says, he also said this about Gakpo:
You do realise that what he tweeted then could have been right, at the time, right?

Or do journo's have to be fecking bulletproof and not report anything until it's all but done a la Ornstein?

God, the pedestal you guys put journo's on is so incredibly high.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
You do realise that what he tweeted then could have been right, at the time, right?

Or do journo's have to be fecking bulletproof and not report anything until it's all but done a la Ornstein?

God, the pedestal you guys put journo's on is so incredibly high.
Of course that wasn't true - how "all out" were we and "confident it would get done", that we just let him go to a rival for a modest fee in today's market?

I can't be arsed to drag up the rest of his claims, but they've all been wide of the mark when he's pinned his colours to the mast.

Edit: I'll just link you to our own transfer tweets thread OP where he's listed at tier 4 and banned - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/tra...-sources-before-posting-stay-on-topic.470957/

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Of course that wasn't true - how "all out" were we and "confident it would get done", that we just let him go to a rival for a modest fee in today's market?

I can't be arsed to drag up the rest of his claims, but they've all been wide of the mark when he's pinned his colours to the mast.

Edit: I'll just link you to our own transfer tweets thread OP where he's listed at tier 4 and banned - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/tra...-sources-before-posting-stay-on-topic.470957/
Tier list does not apply to the threads outside of the Transfer Tweet thread.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I know, but we're discussing his reliability, so it's relevant.
I weren't talking about reliability, I was just simply stating that what he said "may have been correct at the time" that's not a question of his reliability at all.

But to pin point a tweet of his regarding Man Utd's supposed interest in Gakpo as a reason as to why we shouldn't listen to him (because Gakpo went to Liverpool, when his tweet stated that we were going "all out" for Gakpo) isn't really fair.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I weren't talking about reliability, I was just simply stating that what he said "may have been correct at the time" that's not a question of his reliability at all.

But to pin point a tweet of his regarding Man Utd's supposed interest in Gakpo as a reason as to why we shouldn't listen to him (because Gakpo went to Liverpool, when his tweet stated that we were going "all out" for Gakpo) isn't really fair.
OK, but you responded to my post about his reliability, so forgive me for thinking that's what we might be talking about.

I also think it's more than fair, you can't say you're going all out for something, only to give up days later. He is asserting something that just proves to be demonstrably false.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
OK, but you responded to my post about his reliability, so forgive me for thinking that's what we might be talking about.

I also think it's more than fair, you can't say you're going all out for something, only to give up days later. He is asserting something that just proves to be demonstrably false.
Ok fair point, bit of miscommunication there, my bad.

I mean who's to say that whoever fed him the information was leading him up a garden path. Or this source's source could have been doing the same. I just think it's unfair to rule someone out for getting something wrong.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Ok fair point, bit of miscommunication there, my bad.

I mean who's to say that whoever fed him the information was leading him up a garden path. Or this source's source could have been doing the same. I just think it's unfair to rule someone out for getting something wrong.
That's a fair point, but then I would then say he doesn't have very good sources or he tends to jump the gun with the info he's given. I'm certainly not suggesting if you get something wrong, that's it - excommunicado. He just has a poor track record, it's not just the Gakpo situation.

arthurka

Hahaha while we are still debating if he can do anything, Bayern have decided.