Yannick Carrasco - His Mrs says "Yes, they’re very interested"

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Currently twiddling his thumbs in China, new rumours linking us to him:

Brought to our attention via Get Football News France, Foot Mercato claim Manchester United have shown an interest in Belgium international Yannick Carrasco.

The 25-year-old has also been linked with a move to AC Milan, as per Calciomercato, but silly season tends to see talented footballers like Carrasco involved in plenty of rumours.

Formerly of Atletico Madrid, where the Belgian played his best football, Carrasco is currently playing in China. The winger’s current deal will expire in 2021 but there’s a feeling his time in Asia may be about to end.

Under the management of Diego Simeone in 2014, Carrasco performed brilliantly against rivals Real Madrid in the Champions League final but lost the game 4-1 in extra-time.

That could spring a return to Europe where a player of Carrasco’s ability belongs, though it would be hard to take to player who flew out to China for a pay day at the age of 24.

Stories regarding a move to AC Milan are plentiful and there’s no smoke without fire, however, the United links are fresh and surprising to say the least.

There’s no denying that Carrasco’s versatility could benefit United. He is able to play in all three positions in a trident, but the Reds should be on the lookout for an out-and-out right winger.

This would have been more appealing to United in 2014…
https://strettynews.com/2019/01/04/...td-as-escape-route-from-chinese-super-league/

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I wouldn't trust any player who moved to China in their 20s. Their motivation isn't right.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Talented player but I'd question our judgement if we went for him.

Nirv

While he can play on either side of the wings, his best performances have mostly come from the left where we are already heavily stocked, at least from what I have saw of him in the past.

Wouldn’t mind a punt if his position was RW instead for a resonable fee.

Rolaholic

Hard pass,there's a reason he's plying his trade in China...

Would much rather go after Lozano from PSV

Red Stone

I wouldn't trust any player who moved to China in their 20s. Their motivation isn't right.
Second this. Was shocked to see he had moved to China at that age, considering he was a regular for absolutely top teams at both club and international level. A player of his ability shouldn't even be considering the quick Chinese buck until he's well over 30. Clearly values money way more than actually challenging for trophies.

led_scholes

Did he play in the final in 2014?? I dont remember him at all. I recall he equalized in 2016 though and had a great game.

Andersons Dietician

Waiting for 7isthemagicnumber to come in and tell us all that he is better than Martial, Mbappe and Dembele combined.

Had actually forgotten that he existed but anyone seen how he has been doing out in China? Anyway I’ll say a hard pass since he was predominantly playing from the left and we have a load of people wanting to play from the left.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Intuitively I have the same feeling but at the same time Witsel is doing great with Dortmund, so if he is cheap enough I wouldn't mind him, but I would give him less leeway. Also the source is really bad.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Players are usually not the brightest people in the world and they need guidance from agents and family.. I would rather blame the agent then him.

beingshe7don

Although I would like O Dembele to come in for the RW. Carrisco wouldn't be a bad shout actually... His work rate on the pitch is noteworthy and he used to score crucial goals for Athletico Madrid. If we could get him for 30 odd million, may prove to be a masterstroke. That would free up money to strengthen other positions.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Doesn't anyone play from the right anymore?

I remember when our wingers used to regularly swap sides during a game to see if they would get more from the other side. Is it Giggs & Ronaldo who used to swap sides all the time?
Did you ask that question in a thread about a player that plays on both wings without problem?

waza7111

A good player but we don't need him unless Martial leaves.

Zlatattack

Swerve. He went to China. Ought to be a West Ham player in the future.

onemanarmy

Witsel went to China and is doing very well at Dortmund. That being said, I don't think he's the level we need, and he's a LW.

I don't know if you know the story about his transfer to China, but it's been mentioned in Football Leaks. This is roughly translated from Dutch, but is an interesting read. Imo he's a stupid kid who got played by different parties.

While the rest of the Red Devils raged over the Russian fields like a well-oiled machine during the World Cup, one Red Devil ran sad and absent. Yannick Carrasco struggled to keep up with the high level of Eden Hazard, Kevin De Bruyne and Romelu Lukaku from the very first moment. Which would not really change afterwards in the Nations League games.
Even though national coach Roberto Martínez maintains confidence in his flank attacker, he also recognizes that Carrasco is no longer the old one. 'It is true that Yannick has lost a bit of his sharpness', Martínez explained in October to Het Laatste Nieuws. 'He does need that to make the difference in the one-on-one duel, his greatest quality. (...) It is important that Yannick plays all matches in China with his club, trains well, and feels good about himself. '
Why does Martinez say that? Carrasco's bizarre transfer to China at the beginning of this year was not only astonishment, but also criticism. He is the only Belgian to ever score in a Champions League final and is still only 25 years old. With his talent and at that age, according to most football connoisseurs he had nothing to look for in the Chinese Super League.

'So my interest is, just like yours, to transfer Yannick at the highest possible price' Christophe Henrotay, agent of Yannick Carrasco

Football Leaks documents that Der Spiegel received and shared with the partners of European Investigative Collaborations (EIC) and De Standaard, indicated that different parties benefited from a fast and expensive transfer when Carrasco was still playing at Atlético Madrid.

For example, there is an email from November 2, 2016 in which Carrasco's agent Christophe Henrotay exhausted himself in apologies to the address of AS Monaco - the club where Carrasco played until he moved to Madrid in 2015. The reason for these excuses: a few weeks earlier, Carrasco had renewed its contract with Atlético Madrid.
Why did his broker Henrotay suddenly contact his previous club? Monaco still held 'economic rights' on Carrasco. When Carrasco moved from Atlético to another club, Monaco passed by the cash register. In this case, Monaco was still entitled to not less than 25.38% of the transfer fee. The club counted on at least five million euros.

'He still wants to leave Atlético for one of the five largest clubs in Europe. (..) Without contract extension, the transfer price would never be as high as hoped, "explained Henrotay.
According to Henrotay, too, Monaco did not have to worry about the timing of a next transfer: 'Yannick also wants a transfer within two years.'
Henrotay also mentioned the amount that Atlético wanted for Carrasco: 85 million euros, or even 100 million if it scored more than 10 goals in one season.
Carrasco's agent writes in the same mail that he personally gets a five percent commission from Atlético on the transfer fee when the Belgian leaves the Spanish club. And that 'without touching your rights (that of AS Monaco, ed.). (...) My interest, like yours, is to transfer Yannick at the highest possible price, "writes Henrotay.

Both Monaco and broker Henrotay saw the player Carrasco not only as a human and footballer, but also as an investment where they could earn a few more millions. They were not the only parties that claimed a piece of 'the financial product Carrasco'.
Atlético Madrid also involved him in a striking construction. In an eternal search for money, the Spanish club foamed several financial institutions in recent years. The Spanish top club started loans with a British and Chinese investment fund and an Australian bank.
Even with the investment company linked to the Canadian Pension Service, the Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB), Atlético Madrid concluded loans. Between the Football Leaks documents of the Football Leaks platform, an agreement for everything is more than 97 million euros. Atlético concluded that agreement in the autumn of 2015.
One of the terms of that contract states that the 'economic rights' (say the possession) of Carrasco serve as collateral for the millions loan. In the event that Atlético fails to meet the payments, the Canadian pension fund is therefore entitled to income arising from the footballer.
It is a clause that comes close to the banned 'Third Party Ownership' (or TPO). This means that a party other than a football club, such as a private individual or an investment fund, has a (part of a) football player. FIFA world football association in May 2015 with such consconstructions because it led to excesses.
The Canadian pension fund CPPIB confirms that it had concluded a credit agreement with Atlético Madrid that ran from 2013 to 2017. But this agreement has now been terminated. According to CPPIB, she also fulfilled "all rules that were applicable in the football world at the time".

Carrasco himself never got his transfer to one of the five European top clubs. But he did move. On 26 February 2018 the Spanish Belgian moved to the Chinese Dalian Yifang, in the Chinese Super League. European players mainly go to the end of their career.
Besides the destination of Carrasco, the timing of that move is also special. The Chinese Wanda Group (which you might know as the sponsor of the youngest World Cup) sold its 17 percent stake in Atlético just a few weeks ago. Shortly thereafter, the company took over the Dalian Yifang club in their own country, and the same Wanda bought Carrasco from the Spanish capital in the same breath.
Coincidence? A friends service? Who will say it. Dalian Yifang and Atlético did not respond to our questions. The bond between the two parties remained intimate afterwards. Wanda still sponsors Atlético and even gave his name to the brand new stadium in Madrid, the 'Wanda Metropolitano'.
AS Monaco (which did not answer questions from EIC) and broker Henrotay will not have been sorry about it. Within the planned two-year period, they earned good money from Carrasco.

In a written response, player broker Henrotay emphasizes that he has always "defended the rights of Yannick Carrasco with clarity and transparency, and that the latter himself has decided freely to be transferred to China."
He himself was never under external pressure and has always respected the rules, emphasizes the player broker. "Claiming that I would have exerted any pressure on the player, that I was under pressure from some club or that I would receive the commissions you suggest is pure fantasy."

Carrasco himself did not answer questions we sent him through his club. The exact reasons for his transfer remain unclear. Did Carrasco not want to disappoint his entourage? Did he opt for China because he reportedly could earn EUR 10 million per year? Was it because the Chinese championship is in full growth, as Carrasco himself stated? Does it matter?
The fact is that Carrasco, who was only able to avoid relegation with Dalian Yifang, has never achieved the same high level since his transfer to China as at Atlético Madrid. The Belgian flank attacker sometimes got frustrated - this week it leaked that he hit a Chinese teammate in August on training - and he could seldom claim a steady place with the Red Devils. The past two Nations League matches of the Red Devils even missed Carrasco completely. He was reportedly stuck with passport problems. In China.

He's regressed since he's been in China.
He was a decent player for Monaco and A.Madrid but since he's left the only thing he's gained is a higher wage increase.

Though maybe Barca could swap him with Malcom in one of those odd Barca/China deals.

SSSSnake

Axel Witsel came back from China and seems to be doing alright in Germany. Let’s not be so quick to judge. Carrasco is a quality winger. I wouldn’t be totally against this.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Cant compare him to Witsel, who was much older when he left for China and was playing in the russian league which is not La Liga. Also Zenit is no Atletico and they dont seem to have the same financial flexibility as they used to so it might have played a role as well.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's regressed since he's been in China.
He was a decent player for Monaco and A.Madrid but since he's left the only thing he's gained is a higher wage increase.

Though maybe Barca could swap him with Malcom in one of those odd Barca/China deals.
Been watching him regularly in China have you?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I question any players dedication going to China in their early 20s. Shows they prioritise money over improving as a player. So no thanks.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I question any players dedication going to China in their early 20s. Shows they prioritise money over improving as a player. So no thanks.
If that were the case the same player wouldn’t leave China in their mid-20s and return to Europe either.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Disagree, a year is nothing and it would set him and extended family, up for life. Witsel did it and is now part of Dortmund's resurgence and he even spent 2 years in Russia prior to that.

Fracture90

I know it has become a sort of a cliché, but can't really take him seriously considering he went from Atletico, one of the best teams in the world at that moment, battling for all the top tier trophies, to China…

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The group (Wanda) that own Atletico also own Dailan Yifang, I Imagine Atletico owners had a big say in it.