Yaya Toure: We put Manchester United in City's shadow - that's my greatest achievement.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Hope this doesnt bite me in the arse

Come back when you won 20
Because this mentality is wrong.

We should focus on getting back on top, not bragging about 20 titles.

Canagel

The trophy cabinet of the two teams since Yaya arrived is very similar. Ours is better infact because there's a European trophy in there. In these last 8 years United in have won 5 trophies (will become 6 if we win FA Cup this year) to City's 7 ( not counting community shields) and this is their most successful period whilst for 5 of these 8 years we've been in transition. Don't think there's been any power shift or anything like that yet. City even in success are very obsessed with United which means we'll never be in their shadow.

Zlatattack

What a tit. City haven't managed that, yet. If they win another 3 league titles without response from us, then they could start talking about that kind of stuff, but right now, they have a trophy cabinet, we've got enough to put in a whole gallery.

In fairness, it’s perfectly acceptable to say we were in City’s shadow this season. But it’s one season, so it’s also safe to say Yaya had next to naff all to do with his safe declared ”biggest achievement”.

TsuWave

also, when you are such an established name and have seen success for so long like United has, people will love stories like City's, you know, the minion neighbours that hit the jackpot and are now in the spotlight.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Chelsea have won the league as many times as City since our last title.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
This is a bit like when Liverpool sign a new player and he starts off with a dig at us to show off to the fans.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
His greatest achievement is about United. How petty.

Coxy

Considering the state of play - i.e. now - yes there's no doubt they've been more successful than us of late - but they've got a long way to go before we're in their shadow. They're certainly a lot noisier than they used to be.

Morpheus 7

Huge ego Yaya , small club and mentality. Can't even fill their stadium. They need to have a pitch invasion to make it seem significant when they win the league. Maybe it's all them relegation battles and fighting for promotion forcing them in the habit. City were great this year, played some fantastic football. They are still a small club funded by a country, always will be in United's shadow.

LoneStar

Why are they so obsessed with all things United ? Even when they win something, all they can do is talk about us. That shows their mentality and how small time they are.

United, as a club, is far ahead of them in the football world. Just because they won a trophy or two while we are in a massive transition doesn’t mean that we are in their shadow

Just the fact that he thinks this is his greatest achievement should put this in perspective.

Smores

Not yet they haven't, they haven't even been dominant. They'll need to win another couple of titles in the next 5 years to say that

minoo-utd

Yes. They won 3 in a row and a couple of European cups and we were fighting relegation.

Green_Red

City winning the quadruple is an inevitability...

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Nah, they're just better than us right now. But their trophy haul for the last few years isn't anything to really celebrate.

What I will say is that they could become the dominant team in the PL for the next era. These are defining time for us, similar to what I'm sure Liverpool went through 20 odd years ago. You're never too big to fall from grace which is what a lot of our fans cling to. Look at Serie A for giants of yesteryear that are now average teams, look at Liverpool.

We need to start investing wisely not just for now but for the next few years. City are doing that whilst building a great team now. They're essentially what we used to be, just with a gimmicky, knock off look to them.

Irrational.

He's certainly helped put us in City's shadow - in terms of cringeworthiness, putting up posters having a dig at us, weird promotional videos and the ratio of empty seats to occupied seats.

No one can mention City without mentioning us. The Lance Armstrong of footballing teams. Their achievements since their inception from 2008 until the end of time mean absolutely feck all.

jackofalltrades

In general it's better to boast about things after you've done them, not before. A fantastic season for City but not the quadruple that Kompany boasted about, not even a treble.

It's true that we no longer occupy "the perch" but for the moment nobody does. I agree that they look set to dominate in the next, say, 5 years. I think there's a lot of complacency around, as if we never mention Liverpool and have not noticed that we were once in their shadow as they were later in ours.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Any members that were around in 1967-1968 when City won the title a year after United did? Were they as focused on Utd as they are today? Any talk of a shift of power back then?

Mal donaghy

Never have the prestige of us and Liverpool, city can't buy what we have , there is a magic about Manchester United it's hard to explain really , but I know because of this everyone always talks about us ,enviously with a deep down twisted love for us, love to hate , but love non the less!! Other fans always check our result at 4:45 on a sat ,city fans check our result before their own !!!
So Ya ya the only Mark you have left is a SHITE chant sang at the darts every Xmas.

Inter Yer Nan

They'd have to at least win 3 in a row and about 7 or 8 leagues in total including a champions league or two to even consider making comments as such and even then our trophy cabinet would be a lot bigger.

Even then the source of their funds kind of renders it a bit useless IMO.

James Peril

With the aggression on here, it's pretty clear he's onto something - but who cares. Playing down his career is a bit daft though; the guy has won two league titles in Spain, three in England, the Champions League, four domestic cups and has been voted African player of the year four times in a row. He also won the Africa Cup of Nations a few years ago. We can also play down the significance due to Oil money and so forth, but again, this will not be mentioned in a footnote next to their achievements or amount of titles. Besides, a lot of clubs are funded these days - football has become a business a long time ago. City's celebrations won't be affected by the fact that they are a state-funded club as much as the bitterness at the pubs around Old Trafford will be. City were lucky, it could have been Aston Villa, Everton or Newcastle - the only reason they were chosen was because of the free stadium that was already being built. A lottery winner doesn't care about how lucky/ashamed he is after a while... he's just rich.

IRELANDUNITED

Since Toure's been at City they've won:

EPL: 11/12, 13/14, 17/18
FA Cup: 10/11
League Cup: 13/14, 15/16, 17/18
Community Shield: 12/13

United have won:

EPL: 10/11, 12,13
FA Cup: 15/16
League Cup: 16/17
Europa League: 16/17
Community Shield: 10/11, 11/12, 13/14, 16/17

Obviously, you'd rather have City's record, particularly since Fergie left - but this hardly equates to us being in their shadow. Right now, they're doing better than us on the pitch, but it will take a much linger period of dominance for Toure's claims to be true. Plus they'd need to achieve success in Europe.

*I know counting community shields is petty.

Discussion over. They've had their greatest spell in their history during Yaya's time there and they've still only won slightly more than us during that period. United > City

jackofalltrades

Any members that were around in 1967-1968 when City won the title a year after United did? Were they as focused on Utd as they are today? Any talk of a shift of power back then?
I think no club in the country had such dominance as to talk about that kind of stuff. Liverpool 70s/80s and United's 90s/20s overwhelming dominance has not been the norm. Between 1946-1970 I think 11 different clubs won the league including Burnley (2) Portsmouth (2) Wolves (2) Spurs (2) Ipswich and Leeds.

I do remember a time when Liverpool losing or even drawing was a bonus almost as good as us winning. I remeber being at OT maybe in the early 70s when Liverpool won 0-3. What we later came to call a routine demolition job.

Last edited:

Green_Red

City are now officially level with Eric Cantona on Premier League titles. Eric Cantona retired in 1997...

Green_Red

Manchester City top division trophies = 5...

Denis Irwin = 7 (retired in 2004)