Yaya Toure: We put Manchester United in City's shadow - that's my greatest achievement.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Shadow :lol:
They had to be bought out with oil money and still had to get lucky at the timing of us recovering from the best manager in the game retiring.

His greatest achievement should be winning the PL and hoping no one notices it doesn't mean as much.

Gasolin

Just basic communication trick, the only fact he needs to mention United is a statement by itself. And 25 years of success, combined with the History before, don't disappear with a couple of years. Even if the world is hyper connected and all.

Woodzy

He’s won one more league than us while he’s been there, the most recent of which he pretty much hasn’t featured in.

Virror

On the other hand Yaya is overshadowed by a cake that never existed

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Huge ego Yaya , small club and mentality. Can't even fill their stadium. They need to have a pitch invasion to make it seem significant when they win the league. Maybe it's all them relegation battles and fighting for promotion forcing them in the habit. City were great this year, played some fantastic football. They are still a small club funded by a country, always will be in United's shadow.
That pitch invasion got me, it is what a lower division team do when they win promotion or don't get relegated on the last day of the season. The big clubs don't behave like that. The whole club is obsessed with United. Isn't this the same Yaya who had a hissy fit the other year when he didn't get African Footballer of the Year? He probably thinks he is in the running this year as well. As someone said he is completely self-obsessed. Don't think City are going to miss you much Yaya.

kidbob

Ah refreshing to confirm Toure is in fact a massive idiot who is comfortable with being somewhat successful instead of truly great.

Simple facts: defend a League title, win a Double and repeat that, win a Treble, win something in Europe while also winning your League (none of this Mickey Mouse Chelsea and Liverpool winning the CL while not being the best team in England), produce an era defining group of youngsters, be consistent in all competitions for the next 20 years (you're allowed an off year here or there).

If we are being picky then be more than just a modern day team, have some form of history Yaya ala Best and Charlton. Maybe even read history Yaya and understand our relatively low number of European wins has a pretty tragic explanation. Hell it might even have affected Madrid's own tally but we'll never know.

So just a few things for City to tick off the list and maybe then we'll talk but me and Yaya will most likely be dead before it becomes a real topic of conversation. If I'm around to see it become anywhere near a valid argument then I'll be truly impressed and I ain't even 30 yet.

Red Stone

I suspect the only reason Manchester City was bought up by the Sheikh in the first place was because they shared the "Manchester" part of their name with us. So much easier to build a brand and a reputation when they already have a similar name to one of the biggest clubs in the world. I bet a lot of their best players in the early days only signed for them because they heard "Manchester" and thought it was United.

Every ounce of their recent success is down to being from the same city as Manchester United. For that reason they will always be in our shadow.

RedDevil@84

No surprise. He and his agent have always come across as a bit not too bright. A statement more or less at his level.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The only time City directly put themselves above United was in 2012.

Since then we've buried ourselves with a shocking transfer strategy and some pretty poor managerial appointments. Unless they go and win the next 10 out of 15 PL seasons they should just enjoy their success and not talk about knocking United off the top.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Bit premature - like Liverpool fans saying they're back on the perch due to their European run this season (this was before they even beat Roma).

You know your club is skin-deep when Yaya Toure gets a plaque.
I don't get it. Is it supposed to be inspiring to the academy players at City? 'Look at the players we bought and how successful they are! You could be too if we give you 100 minutes over the course of a season'

I prefer the mural we have in our academy of academy players who have played for the first team. Should resonate with the youth players more.

RD76

Is he auditioning for the city feckwit mouthpiece job that Garry Cook used to do?

He needs to do something next year other than bake off.

Jacko21

I don't get it. Is it supposed to be inspiring to the academy players at City? 'Look at the players we bought and how successful they are! You could be too if we give you 100 minutes over the course of a season'
Can only assume they'll do the same for Silva, Kompany and Aguero when they all leave. As they are the four who kickstarted City's rise - so they want to commemorate that.

But even so, it's all a bit shallow and smacks of faux-heritage.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ter-united-citys-shadow-greatest-achievement/

What do United fans make of this, Have City really put United in their shadow?

I personally don't think it's happened yet but if Guardiola dominates the league for a couple of more seasons I would be inclined to agree with Toure then
Mods, can I call this guy an idiot please?

He deserves it like.

One or two seasons of them finishing above us, and now we're in their shadow.

Christ almighty. Please ban this guy.

reddaz71

Uneducated quote if ever there was one.
Forget about imaginary shadows Yaya, the reality is through sheer power of foreign wealth City are merely closing in on Sunderlands haul of 6 League Titles....

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Won treble with Barca but this is his biggest achievement ?

Sometimes everyone's in the shadow of his sense of humor.

tomaldinho1

This shouldn't have even warranted a response.

34yr old bit-part player in need of contract creates controversial headlines for himself.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's not too hard to see where he's coming from: when he joined City they finished behind United for how many decades? And now he's leaving with 3 PL titles and having finished ahead of United for 5? years straight.

That pitch invasion got me, it is what a lower division team do when they win promotion or don't get relegated on the last day of the season. The big clubs don't behave like that. The whole club is obsessed with United. Isn't this the same Yaya who had a hissy fit the other year when he didn't get African Footballer of the Year? He probably thinks he is in the running this year as well. As someone said he is completely self-obsessed. Don't think City are going to miss you much Yaya.
I present to you, lower division small time club: Bayern:

Last edited:

Trizy

To be fair this is the only year they've looked way better than us is this season, a season which fat ass Toure has played 0 full games. How's that his (''my'') achievement?

17mins vs Stoke
15mins vs Burnley
32mins vs Sweansea
9mins vs Palace
16mins vs Watford
8mins vs Arsenal
1min vs Spurs
25mins vs Swansea
19mins vs Westham

All hail the fat, washed up, clown, ''shadow bringer'' Toure :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Trophies or not they’re a plastic club. They will forever be the 2nd club in the eyes of the world. United sell papers. Once city’s money goes away to a new toy they will slide into nothing again

padr81

Supports
Man City
As a City fan, I can honestly say I think Yaya was a great player but my God when he opens his mouth some daft shite comes out.

Watching him tonight is kind of sad, big night all built around him and set up for him and he's getting outpaced by Kompany when Kompany is dribbling the ball and Yaya is running forward along side. No way a premier league team picks him up like he wants, the guy is completely done in top level football. He thinks he's too good for MLS/China so I honestly have no idea if he'll even have a club next season.

Captain Obvious

What a stupid feck, players in the CL still take the piss out of city whenever they face them about how they thought it was United. Theyre nowhere near our title count and yet to win a European Cup. Players don't go to City to fulfill a lifelong dream, they go for the money. The history and soul of the club is hollow just like Toures fake cakes

padr81

Supports
Man City
Wum or not, class by Toure on his night that his first comment is to wish Ferguson luck in his fight.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Trophies or not they’re a plastic club. They will forever be the 2nd club in the eyes of the world. United sell papers. Once city’s money goes away to a new toy they will slide into nothing again
Congratulations. I rarely see so many Citeh cliches in such a short post. Poetry.

Aurell

Supports
Football
Well the recent big trophies have been won by Chelsea and City. So I think he may be right.

Plus the football developed by City is "amazing" and in modern days that counts. It is attractive, refreshing. They got the huge, great, magnificent Guardiola. They have top players. It's the best English team since maybe Pellegrini and now more than smashing everyone, they are destroying records.

City is also like the last English team to have done something in CL between 2012 and 2017, the best Representative, and favorite of the bookies. Not for nothing. And it seems to be only the beginning

Well I heard they earn now enough money to keep living without the oil money. If they are being cautious like Liverpool and smarter during the mercato with youger players less greedy like Zinchenko, Mendy, Mangala or Ederson....

Last edited:

caid

If an ex united player was talking about his achievements City wouldn't get a mention in a million years, everything they do is defined by their position relative to us

They can never talk about their success without mentioning us, so no. They will always be in our shadow.
This

FujiVice

Wum or not, class by Toure on his night that his first comment is to wish Ferguson luck in his fight.
Yep. That was pure class from him. Great servant for you lot. I genuinely thought he was the best player in the country around 2011/12 time.

Fridge chutney

It's not too hard to see where he's coming from: when he joined City they finished behind United for how many decades? And now he's leaving with 3 PL titles and having finished ahead of United for 5? years straight.
We've been in transition for 5 years and have been shite. Leicester, Chelsea and Arsenal (arguably) have placed us in their shadow too during that time. The point he is trying to make is completely daft and small-time.

I present to you, lower division small time club: Bayern
We dont care what Bayern does, because that's Germany and a different culture. Pitch invasions are usually associated with lower league clubs in England after they achieve promotion or prevent relegation. That's why City's pitch invasions upon being awarded the title are laughably appropriate.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
"And can you tell us again Yaya, why it was you signed for the footballing powerhouse that is Man City all those years ago?"

$$$$$$$