Yerry Mina - Everton Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Would make sense if United were signing 2 CB's and he was a squad player/new back-up, like if they were always planning on getting a more proven CB like Alderweireld anyway, but then managed to shop both Rojo & Jones and got Mina instead (and sent 1 of Fosu-Mensah or Tuanzebe out on loan).

I think he'd be a better option than them in that situation, he would seemingly have more untapped potential then either (as you know what you are getting with them by now) and would presumably be more reliable in terms of being fit as he doesn't have the injury record they do.

But I think to sign him as your only CB at this point, especially when Mourinho has highlighted the need for signings and made such a big deal about it, I think players a lot of pressure on any CB signing at this point to be a complete fix in that area. Mina is too much of an unknown & unproven quantity still for him to be seen as that, so I would think better to go for somebody like Alderweireld or stick with the options you have.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ok, Sky Sources are now saying he’s our main defensive target and we have “cooled” on Harry Maguire. I know the Sky Sources aren’t what they used to be so this could be a bluff to force Leicester’s hand. Personally I don’t like Maguire, he’s no better than Phil Jones so there’s no point signing him. I’ve only seen Mina at the World Cup so I’ve no idea what he is like. So he was benched behind Umtiti and Pique, no real shame in that. Barca must’ve seen something in him day one.

el3mel

He's not better than anyone we have. Will end on the bench for Smalling and Bailly. Simply underwhelming.

If we signed him that will mean we have only got one main player that will improve us (Fred).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Wasn't he literally only just signed by Barcelona? Why would they be looking to sell him now? He looks decent at the WC but heard he was shaky for the small amount of games he played for Barca.

haram

Ok, Sky Sources are now saying he’s our main defensive target and we have “cooled” on Harry Maguire. I know the Sky Sources aren’t what they used to be so this could be a bluff to force Leicester’s hand. Personally I don’t like Maguire, he’s no better than Phil Jones so there’s no point signing him. I’ve only seen Mina at the World Cup so I’ve no idea what he is like. So he was benched behind Umtiti and Pique, no real shame in that. Barca must’ve seen something in him day one.
If they’ve seen something in him why are they selling him. They’ve purchased Lenglet as well.

walsh

Wasn't he literally only just signed by Barcelona? Why would they be looking to sell him now? He looks decent at the WC but heard he was shaky for the small amount of games he played for Barca.
Am I right in saying they have an issue with non-EU players after signing Malcom and Arthur?

Infra-red

According to Duncan Castles (via his podcast), the club (Barcelona) rate him, the coach does not and the plan was to loan him out this coming season. His performances at the World Cup have made a market for him, with interest in England and Spain, so now they are looking to cash in on a permanent deal.

Canagel

Would make sense if United were signing 2 CB's and he was a squad player/new back-up, like if they were always planning on getting a more proven CB like Alderweireld anyway, but then managed to shop both Rojo & Jones and got Mina instead (and sent 1 of Fosu-Mensah or Tuanzebe out on loan).

I think he'd be a better option than them in that situation, he would seemingly have more untapped potential then either (as you know what you are getting with them by now) and would presumably be more reliable in terms of being fit as he doesn't have the injury record they do.

But I think to sign him as your only CB at this point, especially when Mourinho has highlighted the need for signings and made such a big deal about it, I think players a lot of pressure on any CB signing at this point to be a complete fix in that area. Mina is too much of an unknown & unproven quantity still for him to be seen as that, so I would think better to go for somebody like Alderweireld or stick with the options you have.
This is where I'm at too. Mina at this moment in time is unproven. If we were already sorted at CB and looking for some depth he would be perfect. Would come in without any pressure and slowly adapt at his own pace. Right now we're looking to him to fix our CB issues totally but he's no better than Bailly and Lindelof. I'm not sure what his ball playing ability is like but he's quite good in the air so that's good. Not a leader yet though and this is my big worry.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Liked the look of him at the World Cup. Obviously talented if Barcelona got him. Haven’t seen enough of him to judge. We need a CB to stay fit so hopefully if we get him he ticks all the boxes.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Believe that Toby is, and has always been, the target.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Liked the look of him at the World Cup. Obviously talented if Barcelona got him. Haven’t seen enough of him to judge. We need a CB to stay fit so hopefully if we get him he ticks all the boxes.
This is the bit that makes me wonder about why people are underrating him quite so much.

He's such a beast in the air he comfortably took Maguire out for their late goal. And Maguire was pretty dominant in the air.
Mobile and a defensive colossus is half way there in the Premier league.

Sterling Archer

My only issue with this deal is that it didn’t happen before the WC. I would have enjoyed rooting for Colombia knowing he was a United player.

AndyJ1985

If any of our rivals were prioritising Mina as their second (and likely last) major signing we'd be pissing ourselves laughing.

Infra-red

This is the bit that makes me wonder about why people are underrating him quite so much.

He's such a beast in the air he comfortably took Maguire out for their late goal. And Maguire was pretty dominant in the air.
Mobile and a defensive colossus is half way there in the Premier league.
We've also apparently been 'aware' of him since 2016 and considered moving for him prior to his transfer to Barcelona.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is he as bad as people are making out? He looked good at the World Cup. Surely he wouldn't be at Barca if he was shite???

Sterling Archer

If any of our rivals were prioritising Mina as their second (and likely last) major signing we'd be pissing ourselves laughing.
:lol: Mate, cmon. You know if that were the case this place would be closer to another meltdown, going off about other clubs being able to make deals happen, how we would have better value with a Barca ‘reject’ than Maguire for 60 mil, or any other of innumerable ways to get frustrated

ZAKU-RED

Supports
Barcelona
I said it in the other Yerry Thread, but I consider him a good talent just a bit raw right now especially for Europe. He came at a pretty bad time for us especially considering that he didn't play much in Brazil that season due to a foot injury if I remember correctly.

He didn't play to badly in the Getafe game in his debut although in the first half he was way to adventurous and risky with the ball and his movement at times but in the second half of the match he was better.

The Levante game though while yeah that wasn't his finest moment, the whole team that game was awful that game and that was first game in awhile he had played in. For me his biggest traits are his physicality and his aerial ability, He's not that bad with the ball IMO. But his main weaknesses is definitely positioning and his reading of the game isn't all that great right now.

If you guys indeed buy him, you will have to be a bit patient with him. And there's a good chance he would suit United's system more than Barcelona since we deploy a high line.

Reactions: Sultan

Ekeke

A lot of Barca fans really don't rate him.

The thing about them is they never particularly rate defensive players. Or offensive players as Fabregas and Sanchez found out.

If ever there were fans that looked at a CB's passing and rated them almost entirely on it, that would be Barcelona

To add to that I'm sure they wouldnt rate Maguire either. Toby they probably would

ti vu

Doesn't amount to anything. No different than many called Evra shite after is debut for us. Mina played just few games for them. Many didn't rate X player after handful of games are normal.

Walters_19_MuFc

To me, I don't see the point in this potential signing. Mina could be another Lindelof, in that he is new to the league, young and has promise. May as well stick with Lindelof, if that's the case.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Nothing but a smokescreen to put pressure on Spurs. We already have numbers in defense, we need more quality.

Rajma

Nothing but a smokescreen to put pressure on Spurs. We already have numbers in defense, we need more quality.
Exactly, I would be totally baffled by this signing unles he’s fantastic at playing it out of the back, what’s the fecking point?

Rajma

Doesn't amount to anything. No different than many called Evra shite after is debut for us. Mina played just few games for them. Many didn't rate X player after handful of games are normal.
Thing is we need immediate quality at the back not ‘potential’, just go all out for Toby.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We've also apparently been 'aware' of him since 2016 and considered moving for him prior to his transfer to Barcelona.
Oh we've been aware of every player ever. Moyes' ipads are still in the nerve centre of operations.

ti vu

Thing is we need immediate quality at the back not ‘potential’, just go all out for Toby.
It's personal opinion but Toby is not worth it. He may be best CB in consistency term past few seasons, but he's not truly elite in an era where there is very few top top defenders. His best is not exactly better than our guys on their days.

We may just sideway it now replacing a crocked in Rojo, but it would still help than keeping thing as is.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

In fairness, you could find at least 2 clowns on this forum at any particular time writing off any of our players.
So we can't take that as an all encompassing "he's crap"

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If we were selling Rojo and Jones and this guy was in addition to Maguire or Toby then I’d be all for it.

If he is the sole player that Mourinho has pinpointed to fix our issues at the back then you have to question our managers judgement.

Just give Lindeloff another chance to establish himself rather than blowing £30-£40 million on this guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.