Yerry Mina - Everton Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlepeasoup

No, Pique is quite slow but with fantastic technical ability. This guy is significantly slower than even our slowest players - perhaps not as bad as Juan Mata - but pretty close. Signing Mina will honestly signal to me that the entire club has lost complete direction and there's literally no point even watching the coming season, except for comedy value. If we sign Mina I really wouldn't be surprised if our better players left.
Care to justify this comment? Seems, at least to me, incredibly reactionary, and just plain wrong.

JoaquinJoaquin

Maybe I am disappointed that we are no longer going for the best we can get. Pally, Stam, Rio.
Trust me, I am more disappointed than anyone with this Summer. Been a complete shambles and I really do fear the worst for the coming season. I do think Mina is better than what we have got though. I would rather get Toby if it was on the table, but I think the Glazers have tightened the purse strings this year for one reason or another, so that is why we are looking at Mina.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Remember Papy Djilobodji who Chelsea signed when Mourinho wanted Stones? Mina is our Djilobodji.

I'd rather keep Rojo than sign this guy, absolutely bang average.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

It is only useful if we actually had good crossers in the team. How many goals did we concede from crosses?
Pereira should be an improvement. Still think Jerry's more of a Spurs/Everton signing rather than a good fit for us. Hopefully he goes to Tottenham as a replacement for Toby.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
No, Pique is quite slow but with fantastic technical ability. This guy is significantly slower than even our slowest players - perhaps not as bad as Juan Mata - but pretty close. Signing Mina will honestly signal to me that the entire club has lost complete direction and there's literally no point even watching the coming season, except for comedy value. If we sign Mina I really wouldn't be surprised if our better players left.
You what?

Alfie092

If Mina is the one signing Mourinho was talking about and hoping to get, then I, like a lot of United fans I'm sure, will be very dissapointed. I still hope we sign a LB and/or a RW as well or else it would be a very underwhelming summer window if you ask me.

However, saying that, I will not write-off Mina just like that, nowhere near my first choice CB signing, would prefer Alderweideld, Maguire, Bonucci, Boateng, Skriniar, Koulibaly and Manolas over him. Hence why I will be upset if this happens because in my opinion, there are plenty of better options out there and just smacks of desperation by Woodward and our board who are just looking to get the cheapest possible deal and not what Mourinho wants as his first choice CB.

Mina is still young and maybe he just wasn't suited to Barcelona, doesn't necessarily mean he is a poor player, he could end up being a key player for us in the years to come. I so hope this is the case.

VanGaalyTime

Care to justify this comment? Seems, at least to me, incredibly reactionary, and just plain wrong.
It would highlight literally everything that is wrong with our transfer policy and organizationally. We don't want to spend the extra money to get an A player so we go for a C player who is "good enough". If you were Pogba, Martial, or De Gea etc, why would you stay at a club that has given up on challenging for major honours? Big players want to win the league and nothing against the guy, but a player like Yerry Mina is not going to be a regular in a league winning side. I could be wrong, but this doesn't seem to be a postive sign to me - if the rumour is even true.

AgentP

This would be one of the most pointless signings. He's not better than what we already have. I'd rather hold off for another year and get Alderweireld on the cheap.

Zoo

Remember Papy Djilobodji who Chelsea signed when Mourinho wanted Stones? Mina is our Djilobodji.

I'd rather keep Rojo than sign this guy, absolutely bang average.
Nobody had even heard of Papy. The situations are different. Mina is surely one of the five on Jose’s list.

JoaquinJoaquin

They don't need to sell him, they could loan him like they did with Marlon. If they are willing to sell him it's either because they don't rate him, he is going to be sold for a fee that they can't reject or he asked to be sold.
Barcelona are still not in a brilliant situation financially, and if they are going to get 50m for a guy they cannot even register right now, then you can see why they would consider it.

VanGaalyTime

He was bad in that game, but so was Gerard Pique (who even at his current age would probably be our best CB).
I imagine Pique spent most of the game wrapping his head around the fact that Mina was in the left wing position while Levante players waltzed through the defence. Look, it's not that I think Mina is a truly terrible player, it's just United need a world class defender immediately. And if we don't get that, I don't see the point in Mina who will take 6 months to adjust to the PL and then possibly reach the same level as Phil Jones, in time.

Classical Mechanic

Mou is really jumping the shark into a deuce ex machina with this signing.

It's like he's needs a hit and doesn't care if his fix has powered white dog turd and brick dust in it.

littlepeasoup

It would highlight literally everything that is wrong with our transfer policy and organizationally. We don't want to spend the extra money to get an A player so we go for a C player who is "good enough". If you were Pogba, Martial, or De Gea etc, why would you stay at a club that has given up on challenging for major honours? Big players want to win the league and nothing against the guy, but a player like Yerry Mina is not going to be a regular in a league winning side. I could be wrong, but this doesn't seem to be a postive sign to me - if the rumour is even true.
To be fair, you know as much about the inner workings of United as I do, which is absolutely zero. You see one report from a usually unreliable source, and take it as sacrosanct, a) before the rumour is substantiated and b) before any player kicks a ball for us in anger.

The idea that if we sign one defender our better players will want to leave is nonsense, I'm sorry, but it is. It's a miracle Ruud didn't leave when we signed David Bellion.

gajender

Do United fans on this forum really watch so much football that they can make definitive predictions about success or failure of every player we are linked with if we are to sign them ?

VanGaalyTime

To be fair, you know as much about the inner workings of United as I do, which is absolutely zero. You see one report from a usually unreliable source, and take it as sacrosanct, a) before the rumour is substantiated and b) before any player kicks a ball for us in anger.

The idea that if we sign one defender our better players will want to leave is nonsense, I'm sorry, but it is. It's a miracle Ruud didn't leave when we signed David Bellion.
Completely different situations. Ruud was joining a team that was a favourite for the title either way and the signing of Bellion wasn't to cover a first team position but to add squad numbers. The idea, if we sign Mina, is that he's supposed to be the solution to our issues at center back. Also, I didn't take anything as sacrosanct, I said "if the rumour is even true". It's a reaction to the potential and the message that would send to the players, staff and fans of Manchester United. Again, i'm sorry to Yerry Mina, I'm sure he's a lovely bloke who is nice to animals, but he cannot be the solution to our center back problems. We'd concede more with him than without him this season.

My reaction is also due to the fact that this would be very typical of the club. The manager and the transfer team takes the summer off. Then realizes we have a week before the deadline to sign someone so they go after the first name that isn't too expensive. It's the reason we're miles behind City (on and off the field) and (purely in terms of transfers and planning) Liverpool. Again, if it doesn't happen it's all good, but if it does it's a huge issue.

SammyUnited_83

Do United fans on this forum really watch so much football that they can make definitive predictions about success or failure of every player we are linked with if we are to sign them ?
This.

The guy has played only played 5 games for Barcelona. Pique, looked nervy when he used to play for us, then went on to play for the best club / national team for 10 years.

At least give the guy a chance.

littlepeasoup

Completely different situations. Ruud was joining a team that was a favourite for the title either way and the signing of Bellion wasn't to cover a first team position but to add squad numbers. The idea, if we sign Mina, is that he's supposed to be the solution to our issues at center back. Also, I didn't take anything as sacrosanct, I said "if the rumour is even true". It's a reaction to the potential and the message that would send to the players, staff and fans of Manchester United. Again, i'm sorry to Yerry Mina, I'm sure he's a lovely bloke who is nice to animals, but he cannot be the solution to our center back problems. We'd concede more with him than without him this season.

My reaction is also due to the fact that this would be very typical of the club. The manager and the transfer team takes the summer off. Then realizes we have a week before the deadline to sign someone so they go after the first name that isn't too expensive. It's the reason we're miles behind City (on and off the field) and (purely in terms of transfers and planning) Liverpool. Again, if it doesn't happen it's all good, but if it does it's a huge issue.
Completely different situations, but equally as ridiculous.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This.

The guy has played only played 5 games for Barcelona. Pique, looked nervy when he used to play for us, then went on to play for the best club / national team for 10 years.

At least give the guy a chance.
The advantage Pique had was being in a side with Messi/Xavi and Iniesta so you just had to make sure you did your job the odd times you had to actually defend. Mina is coming into a side where you are constantly defending.

Ban

I don't they took the summer of.. You don't know which are the A, B and C options. I'm sure some players were tried to sign and nobody of us k owns why they weren't signed. I don't think United is in such a bad shape Ed and Jose just took the summer of as you say, did nothing and suddenly realized end of the transfer window is near.

JoaquinJoaquin

I imagine Pique spent most of the game wrapping his head around the fact that Mina was in the left wing position while Levante players waltzed through the defence. Look, it's not that I think Mina is a truly terrible player, it's just United need a world class defender immediately. And if we don't get that, I don't see the point in Mina who will take 6 months to adjust to the PL and then possibly reach the same level as Phil Jones, in time.
Look, Positionally that game I don't know what he was playing at. I don't know the guy to ask him. But all I can point out is when I have watched him in Brazil, the NT and those 5 games for Barca he has been good in most of them. I understand what you are saying about needing world class and I agree. If it was up to me i'd be signing Toby and kicking Smalling or Jones out to the curb. What i'm saying though is that Mina is better than Phil Jones, Smalling and Rojo right now. So signing him isn't the travesty some are making out.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We need a first choice CB that ensures Jones doesn't play. Of this guy is not that,O don't see the point.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sign him and we would have spent £110m on CBs but with Smalling and Jones still looking like our first choice pairing. Can't tell you how mad that is.

Ban

Sign him and we would have spent £110m on CBs but with Smalling and Jones still looking like our first choice pairing. Can't tell you how mad that is.
I'm sure whey won't look like our first choice pairing.

RedCurry

It is only useful if we actually had good crossers in the team. How many goals did we concede from crosses?
I wouldn't know where I can find that type of stats. But our ability to clear crosses from our box is quite poor and it may not directly lead to a goal but often leads to a scrappy situation. This either ultimately results in a goal or forces our midfield back. See the goal Ashley Barnes scored against us last season or both Choupo-Moting's goals coming from crosses in the 2-2 draw. Second of his goals actually left Jones on his bum.

Look back at the goal Erikson scored straight from the kickoff against us. Harry Kane absolutely bullied Jones there. That goal would've annoyed Mourinho to no end.

It forces Mourinho to send on Fellaini or put Lukaku, Matic or Pogba to mark important players from the opposition's team. It's a bit criminal that our centre backs are not imposing from set pieces.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I doubt we are interested Mina desperately needs a new club his agent is probably just trying to drum up interest.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Has it ever occurred to you that you're being a tad dramatic?...

Brophs

The One and Only
Even if he could potentially be a real first team quality CB, he doesn't look to be there yet. Do we really need another project?

VanGaalyTime

Has it ever occurred to you that you're being a tad dramatic?...
Well, I guess we'll see. Rumour might not even be true, but we have a week to sign a central defender and because we've left it late again, Mina is the only one looking possible. If we do sign him, I imagine he'll be a reserve for if Smalling is injured.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Barely played for Barca and new to the league. Might take his place eventually but can't see it happening straight away.
It wouldn't be long though, Jones would inevitably pick up a knock within 3 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.