Yet another Tactical Masterclass from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Whoop whoop!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
So don't you think that AWB and Maguire are horribly overpriced and ordinary players ? I might add James as well in it. Sure 15m isn't a huge sum but we are talking of a championship level player here. That's 145m btw

Longstaff was constantly linked with us. Even Newcastle claimed our interest back then. So I am surprised you discard that rumour so quickly.. Could it be because he would have been yet another underwhelming signing by Ole?
Overpriced? Maybe. Ordinary? No. The Longstaff thing isn't even worth commenting on. Liked a player & enquired. £50m? No thanks. You're the only poster on here who ever mentions it.

Its clear that you are pessimistic towards Ole, but at least try to mix it up a bit.

Heres a suggestion. We won today. Try to enjoy it

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Overpriced? Maybe. Ordinary? No. The Longstaff thing isn't even worth commenting on. Liked a player & enquired. £50m? No thanks. You're the only poster on here who ever mentions it.

Its clear that you are pessimistic towards Ole, but at least try to mix it up a bit.

Heres a suggestion. We won today. Try to enjoy it
Oh they are, especially Maguire and James. Regarding longstaff it was confirmed by Newcastle themselves.

I don't shy away from highlighting ole's strengths. He is a good man manager whose got a knack at beating top clubs. However there is no denying that he threw 145m in the bin or that United are heavily reliant on the individual brilliance of 1-3 players that basically carry us. Bruno is literally at the wheel

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Oh they are, especially Maguire and James. Regarding longstaff it was confirmed by Newcastle themselves.

I don't shy away from highlighting ole's strengths. He is a good man manager whose got a knack at beating top clubs. However there is no denying that he threw 145m in the bin or that United are heavily reliant on the individual brilliance of 1-3 players that basically carry us. Bruno is literally at the wheel
Oh I hardly think you do. Even now it's individual brilliance not tactical nous. Maguire may be overpriced but definitely worth it. He made out defence into one of the best in Europe last season. Bissaka had the 2nd most successful tackles last season. If you can't see the positives it's your issue. Bruno was the standard. If you think Lingard and pereira were it's on you. He solved an issue and it's still his fault apparently.

And about individual brilliance.. Over the past few months we have relied on indivudual brilliance of Maguire AWB Shaw lindelof fred McT Matic Bruno martial and Rashy so yea a few players indeed..

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

No point debating any of this with you. I should have known better

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Oh I hardly think you do. Even now it's individual brilliance not tactical nous. Maguire may be overpriced but definitely worth it. He made out defence into one of the best in Europe last season. Bissaka had the 2nd most successful tackles last season. If you can't see the positives it's your issue. Bruno was the standard. If you think Lingard and pereira were it's on you. He solved an issue and it's still his fault apparently.

And about individual brilliance.. Over the past few months we have relied on indivudual brilliance of Maguire AWB Shaw lindelof fred McT Matic Bruno martial and Rashy so yea a few players indeed..
There is no doubt that we conceded less goals last season then the year before. However Mourinho's last season was a mess with him losing the dressing room and Ole coming mid way.

In reality is that we conceded more goals in 2019-2020 then during 2017-2018 and 2016-2017. This year we had already conceded 14 goals which is half of the EPL goals we conceded in 2017-2018 . Meanwhile Leicester's defence improved in terms of goals conceding from 48 (2018-2019) with maguire to 43 (2019-2020) without him.Which puts this 'strong defence' in a different perspective.

You expect that an 80m CB would carry the defence. That is what Stam and Rio did back in their day. Instead we have a very ordinary Cb with clear flaws in his game who need someone to do the running and the thinking for him.

Regarding Bruno there is absolutely no doubt that Ole made it to top 4 thanks to him. The Portuguese run from January till the end of the season was breathtaking.

alexthelion

If Pochettino joins us and is backed like previous manchester United manager baring Moyes, I am confident he will take us back to the top. Pochettino will get to sign multiple world class player and looking at his Spurs team, I am excited to see United having more technical gifted footballers here. With that amount and with these current crop of players, I will be surprised if he doesn’t. Thinking of all the world class players, I m wonder which one Pochettino will pick for United that will be the foundation for his achievement.

:lol: it still seems you will not learn. I m not even looking at the result, but the performances is more telling. The rb Leipzig game was very deceptive which I pointed out.
You really expect poch to sign good/great players for us, even after his horrible record at Spuds?

alexthelion

Lucky he was smart enough to sign him then.

Must be the only manager in history who somehow has 'signed a brilliant player' turned into a criticism of him. Agenda driven bollocks
You sound surprised.

The most shocking thing is the number of so-called supporters who are unhappy we won.

alexthelion

@sammsky1 is fighting a losing battle, not surprised by his disappearance. Thing at United are unpredictable. Even if we trash Manchester city 5-0(whoop whoop :lol:), you can expect us to lose to Fulham next week. This thread is an embarrassing knee jerk that even highly respected footballing pundits will laugh at. Sammsky1 probably having nightmare and is to embarrassed to show up on this forum. It has happened before as a veteran of this forum as seen countless of time as I knew this thread won’t end well. I have set up bullet points to show how Ole will be able to meet United standards in this thread and once that happens, there should be more confidence in making a woop woop thread :lol:. I know with Poch, there will be plenty of whoop whoop thread.
Just a shame you're not too embarrassed.

OverratedOpinion

I love Ole and always will but today was not much to do with him, it was simply based on having Bruno Fernandes and the defence playing decently.

DarkXaero

Oh no! Looks like Nagelsmann's Leipzig qualify to the next round of CL while Ole's United get eliminated! :(

Robaldo

Not sure if I’m blaming the management or the players, but conceding two goals in 12 minutes because a five man defence got stretched is absolutely farcical.

dabeast

1. Why would you take Telles, your starting PL LB, rather than Shaw off when you are moving to 4 at the back and you know Shaw is only going to last for 60 mins having just come back from injury?
2. Why would you play a 3-5-2 and not tell your RWB to stay narrow and not go engage the wide player (for the 1st goal, actually throughout the 1st half)?
3. What is the point of bringing on VdB at 45" if you are going to bring on Pogba at 60"?
4. Why waste subs on TFM, Brandon Williams and Axel Tuanzebe, none of whom have played recently and ALL of whom made individual mistakes to lose possession when chasing the game?
5. Why keep Ighalo on the bench?
6. Why would you not change your shape in the first half (or make subs) when it is clearly the wrong one and you have let in 3 goals?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Playing with 5 players doesn't mean you defend better. Ole is very naive with this. He just randomly picks formation without any tactical intelligence whatsoever.
All those fecking subs too. I'm lost for words

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Ole still manages to look like a rookie even after 10 years in football management. That should be alarm bells for the board but apparently they are satisfied with mediocre performances.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I wanted to say whooop whooop but seeing @sammsky1 down, i can't. This is first time i see you like this (regarding Ole) so i will give you a pass today.

arnie_ni

As someone said. Best part; subs two left backs and puts right back on left back. That was just brilliant
Yep that was me, I didn't even realise he for ages he then subbed 2 more defenders for 2 more defenders haha

BlueHaze

Yeah maybe. Sorry :annoyed:

That game was an amazing display but our first half was soooo bad today.
It is what it is.. Said after that loss to that shit turkish side it might cost us and I stand corrected. Just a draw over there was all that was needed and we still failed.

GenZRed

You knew this thread wasn't going to age well.

What rubs salt in the wounds was the game that triggered the creation of this thread and the fact that, after such a great start in the Champions league, we have thrown getting out of our group out of the window.

People were laughing at that tweet that said 'See you in Europa league', which was directed at Ole. Now we are the laughing stock.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yep that was me, I didn't even realise he for ages he then subbed 2 more defenders for 2 more defenders haha
Bloody hell, i didn't even noticed that. So after starting the game with 5 defenders he managed to waste 3 subs on 3 more.
Well feck it, this deserves ; whooop whooop

arnie_ni

Can anyone explain the telles sub please?

Shaw hadn't played in 4 weeks and was on a yellow, i asked at half time why didn't he sub him and not telles?

Keep telles on, bring on Williams and rb, and then you could have brought James on or someone up top to help out.

He made 5 subs, 3 of them were defenders!!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The way teams like Leipzig start on the front foot against us (and others) tell you that our coach is nowhere clear the level needed at this club. We should be playing front foot football in these games but we're always the archaic ones who haven't got the vision to play aggressive stylish attacking football, and spend the game playing on the counter like some mid table unit.

But to play that way, you need a manager with the vision and tactical qualities that Ole clearly does not have. Not surprising given his managerial career before this.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Playing with 5 players doesn't mean you defend better. Ole is very naive with this. He just randomly picks formation without any tactical intelligence whatsoever.
All those fecking subs too. I'm lost for words
Next he will play with 5 strikers to score more goals.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ole still manages to look like a rookie even after 10 years in football management. That should be alarm bells for the board but apparently they are satisfied with mediocre performances.
We are the only elite football club where a mediocre manager like Ole can have people genuinely believing in him. Because we've made it part of the club's fabric to "get behind the manager" and truly want to believe in him despite all the evidence to the contrary staring us in the face. Hence, we'll cling on to being "not far" from 4th, every decent result/performance or run etc to hold on to the idea that he will come good. Because, you see, Sir Alex did. So everyone needs time and lots of it.

Back in the team world, everyone outside of that bubble knows that Ole is nowhere near good enough. He's tactically from the 80/90s and isn't an inspirational leader either. But I guess those don't matter. He had

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I need my PE outfit, this club does my head in, I need an exercise.

Web of Bissaka

1. Why would you take Telles, your starting PL LB, rather than Shaw off when you are moving to 4 at the back and you know Shaw is only going to last for 60 mins having just come back from injury?
2. Why would you play a 3-5-2 and not tell your RWB to stay narrow and not go engage the wide player (for the 1st goal, actually throughout the 1st half)?
3. What is the point of bringing on VdB at 45" if you are going to bring on Pogba at 60"?
4. Why waste subs on TFM, Brandon Williams and Axel Tuanzebe, none of whom have played recently and ALL of whom made individual mistakes to lose possession when chasing the game?
5. Why keep Ighalo on the bench?
6. Why would you not change your shape in the first half (or make subs) when it is clearly the wrong one and you have let in 3 goals?
1. To preserve stronger defense. Shaw is better defender than Telles.
2. We trust our players, offering them minimal coaching and instructions.
3. Increase attacking by having more attacking players.
4. We need to preserve defensive shape and our fool proof 4231 formation. Likes for likes substitutions is the way.
5. Shut up, I am a tactical genius.
6. Shut up, the shape is right and godlike, nothing wrong with it. It's all on the players, fixture congestion and no away fans as to why we lost.