Yet another Tactical Masterclass from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Whoop whoop!

RUCK4444

The agenda is for both side to be fair.
Its clear which side accounts for most of it.

When you have people relentlessly calling the manager a PE teacher, tactically inept and unable to coach, when that is force fed to posters they are bound to react.

We’ve listened to how superior Nagelsmann is to Ole for over a year now.

You don’t see posters on match day calling Ole the next Fergie or better than Klopp etc do you? No. And that would be the equivalent opposite of what we have to listen to.

RUCK4444

I’ve said it a fair few times before but I’ll say it again: the job he has done with the make up of our squad is nothing short of outstanding.

We played a strong first team and were able to bring on the likes of Rashford, Bruno and Cavani to get us over the line against a very good side.

Granted, squad shaping comes at a cost but he’s succeeding in an area that others overwhelmingly failed. The decision to bin off Sanchez and Lukaku and trust in Rashford, Martial and Greenwood was a brave one that is starting to pay dividends.

And yes, we could very well lose to Arsenal at the weekend; however, I look at where we were compared to where we are now and the progress is undeniable.
So so true. This is why I back him and it’s one of a few key areas I see a real improvement compared to previous managers who’ve failed here.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The next thing is to become a United standard manager where winning trophies is important and we are always in the top four at least.
Well he has has one full season and met your standard by finishing 3rd. So you can’t be too disappointed in him, three semis last season so he’s closing that gap too.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Those 2 losses were clearly down to fitness. Even at the time it was obvious. One week preseason against teams who'd had a month. We were miles off the pace. Ever since the international break we've been back to normal. I want to hear no more about other managers.
The last two weeks have been crucial for our preparation for December, cant stress the importance of these results and more importantly Ole in trusting our squad to do the business which should keep them fresher. Honestly think we'll be laughing in a months time when others clubs start breaking down due to fitness problems. Exciting times ahead for us.

OverratedOpinion

I call out bs when I see it. I was even vocal about Zidane even when he won so many champions league team. A manager that relys so much on signing world class players, will eventually be found out. Any manager can win with a fantastic team, but to go to the next level requires a higher level of tactical acumen and emotional intelligence within that manager. I don’t see it with Ole unfortunately. We have an amazing team, and I expect a lot from it. I see us doing much better than last season as well. But, we won’t reach the highest honors that even Pochettino reached with a team that wasn’t as good as the one we currently have.
Would you have said that we had "an amazing team" when..
  • Martial was struggling out wide.
  • Rashford was going long stretches without scoring.
  • Fred could not string 2 passes together.
  • Shaw looked a shell of himself.
  • McTominay was written off.
  • Matic was ready for the retirement home.
  • Greenwood was an under 18s player who may or may not have been brought through.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Perfect night for Ole.

Using his squad, changing it up and using his subs well...3 things I've been critical of him for.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
We didn't have an amazing team when he took over. It was full of dead wood.

So how do you reconcile that? He's been here two years and now we have a great team and strong squad. How has this happened if not because of the manager?
Would you have said that we had "an amazing team" when..
  • Martial was struggling out wide.
  • Rashford was going long stretches without scoring.
  • Fred could not string 2 passes together.
  • Shaw looked a shell of himself.
  • McTominay was written off.
  • Matic was ready for the retirement home.
  • Greenwood was an under 18s player who may or may not have been brought through.
Who was the deadwood? The team he took over won the Europa league, and multiple trophies and cost near half a billion to create. It was a good team, that with few more additions became a more amazing. I have always stated that Ole is great at recruiting. AWB and Bruno stands out to me as some of the best addition to an already good team.

all those players you listed, were highly rated, while some were still maturing. They have showed brilliant performance in their past and I have rated most of them baring matic, who is the only surprise from those list of players.

Last edited:

iato89

When you have people relentlessly calling the manager a PE teacher, tactically inept and unable to coach, when that is force fed to posters they are bound to react.

You don’t see posters on match day calling Ole the next Fergie or better than Klopp etc do you? No. And that would be the equivalent opposite of what we have to listen to.
A lot of fans compare the journey of Klopp to that of Ole tbh. So comparism are made. Nagelsmann is one of the top youngest coaches and one game doesnt divine him, he is jsut 33 ffs and has been a bundesliga top coach for 5 years...if that is not impressive then I do not know! If preople prefer Nagelsman football then so be it, nothing wrong with that (imo career wise he is superior although both have not won any major trophies in the important leagues). The problem with Ole, imo, is the inconsistency afer 2 years, results like these we had plenty last year but it always followed with a negative patch. This year will be his 2 full year and come may he will have had 2.5 year which is plenty,.I believe we have a very very good team but if we are still battling for a top 4 position until the last 2/3 matches of the season then there is no improvement made and he has to go, if he manages to improve then he will stay.

Glorio

It has felt like we have been in the minority.

teams need time.
We've been very very good since January, two dips we had were very understandable, fatigue at the end of last season (meanwhile we improved massively after a full weeks rest for Sevilla, even though we lost), and a lack of pre-season at the start of this. Both perfectly understandable dips but folks with an agenda choose to ignore this fact.

I said on the other thread, now we look to have caught up on our fitness, we've played Newcastle, PSG, Chelsea, Leipzig, and won 3 and drawn one while being the better team. We have a much more functional team and manager than our own fans want to give us credit for.
Hopefully we do the business vs Arsenal, and there are some easier games (on paper) to build a run from

Foxbatt

It was very good tactics today. Lets see what happens on Sunday and against Everton.

Tyrion

Ole is one of the best counter attackers in the world. I don’t think he’s got a long term future at Utd, but I have to give him that.
I agree. I'm a little doubtful of the idea that he's a tactical mastermind. He's very good at setting a side up to counter attack against the better teams (which his critics often ignore). He's not as good against weaker teams (which his supporters often ignore).

Such a silly thing to say. I'm a Manchester United fan. I want the best for Manchester United. Of course I'm delighted with the result. The only reason I have ever said Ole out is because I want the best for the club long term. I don't think Ole is the man to take us back to chasing PL & CL titles. I still want us to win every game.

If we win a major title (PL or CL) under Ole I will be extremely happy to have been wrong.
Unfortunately he won't listen. I had a similar argument with him about this before. He basically insists that everyone who doesn't think Ole is amazing is secretly a fake united fan who prefers Poch and wants the team to lose. Oh and anyone who thinks there's a better player out there than a united player is some hipster poser. It's like talking to a wall.

Client6

...to become a United standard manager where winning trophies is important and we are always in the top four at least...
Well he has has one full season and met your standard by finishing 3rd. So you can’t be too disappointed in him, three semis last season so he’s closing that gap too.
I think the above two posts should be enough to close the "Sack Ole" thread. Thanks @Berbasbullet, simplifying the argument for Ole supporters.

To add to the argument, Ole has/is:
1. consistently given young and academy players a chance
2. the team playing the best football since Sir Alex
3. the players playing for him and the shirt
4. a club legend :)

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Had Klopp or Pep beaten RB Leipzig tonight we'd never hear the end of it. Their tactical genius would be getting praised to high heaven: players adapting to a new shape in a matter of days. Subs making the difference when the game was in the balance. Yet with Ole the response is muted. Even from some of our own fans. Some people are so hung up on the 'PE teacher' crap they can't even give Ole the credit he deserves on a night like this.

When the Champions League draw was made a lot of people were proclaiming ours the group of death. So far Ole's been to Paris and out thought Tuchel and then done Nagelsman at home. If he's not up to the job I'd love to see how someone who is would get on!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I agree. I'm a little doubtful of the idea that he's a tactical mastermind. He's very good at setting a side up to counter attack against the better teams (which his critics often ignore). He's not as good against weaker teams (which his supporters often ignore).

Unfortunately he won't listen. I had a similar argument with him about this before. He basically insists that everyone who doesn't think Ole is amazing is secretly a fake united fan who prefers Poch and wants the team to lose. Oh and anyone who thinks there's a better player out there than a united player is some hipster poser. It's like talking to a wall.
Considering he's been on the forum for 12 years, he's clearly an adult. It's a very immature way to behave.

Whatever floats his boat though.

very true post. Everyone who is ‘ole in’ has basically said, look at what he’s achieved in terms of mentality, attitude and teamwork. No one has said he’s a great manager - but hes earned time, he’s earned this season, and he’s earned our respect. He can grow with this team.

I’ve still not worked out why so many fans dislike OGS?

reddevilz007

Ole’s tactics work well when we don’t dominate in possession.

As soon as we get significantly get more the ball, we are still clueless.

He'sRaldo

Changed to an optimal shape, well timed subs, good game management.

I'm inclined to agree with the title. The OP however is quite erratic and hyperbolic.

Glorio

I disagree. How about all the games we won since Jan against weaker opposition which sat back? Particularly after lockdown?
Then we were said to have the opposite problem.

We were not great against Palace and Brighton, but then we had no pre-season. Those games were effectively our pre-season games. Now we've caught up, it will be interesting to see how we get on.

Had Klopp or Pep beaten RB Leipzig tonight we'd never hear the end of it. Their tactical genius would be getting praised to high heaven: players adapting to a new shape in a matter of days. Subs making the difference when the game was in the balance. Yet with Ole the response is muted. Even from some of our own fans. Some people are so hung up on the 'PE teacher' crap they can't even give Ole the credit he deserves on a night like this.

When the Champions League draw was made a lot of people were proclaiming ours the group of death. So far Ole's been to Paris and out thought Tuchel and then done Nagelsman at home. If he's not up to the job I'd love to see how someone who is would get on!
will give you another example, following spurs’ last win, that’s was a poll on BBC which asked was Son and Kane the best ever strike force!!

the media want to downplay our achievements, but I’m convinced it’s because they know our fragile, weak and pathetic fanbase will lap it up.

I bet it we lost tonight the football forum would be twice, three times, four times as busy?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
very true post. Everyone who is ‘ole in’ has basically said, look at what he’s achieved in terms of mentality, attitude and teamwork. No one has said he’s a great manager - but hes earned time, he’s earned this season, and he’s earned our respect. He can grow with this team.

Do you have the impression that "so many fans" dislike Ole? Seems the contrary to me, most fans do like him.

RUCK4444

Yeah exactly. It's almost entirely driven by the constant overwhelming siege of negative insults that are thrown at Ole.

Glorio

Ole’s tactics work well when we don’t dominate in possession.

As soon as we get significantly get more the ball, we are still clueless.
We weren't clueless when we were dominating possession and scoring 3s and 5s just a few months ago

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Let see how he progress this season, but as you stated he did meet that standard last season, despite not being as impressive and convincing. Regardless, I have always stated that that first full season was not as black and white as you would present it. Which is why I have been critical of him. If you delve deeper into the outcome of that season, you would know that our point tally was similar to Moyes, and without the acquisition of Bruno, Ole wouldn’t be a United manager at the moment for the reason that after his purchase his goals/assist output contribution was an unusual high 50%. These metric reveals a better insight into that season than just our third places finish. If Ole meets the standards of a United manager, then I will definitely think that he is the right manager. These standards aren’t to hard to accomplish with the third most expensive team in football.

lysglimt

Scout
23 wins, 7 draws and 4 defeats in our last 34 games.. A win percentage of 67 in that period and still 1000 people want him fired...remarkable

edcunited1878

Unfortunate that the PL, one of the only major European competitions, didn't pass the 5 subs rule for this year.

Having 5 subs worked in United's favor again, as it did against PSG.

Made it hard for RBL to play through them in the first half and just cancelled them out really. Then in the second half, it was like a switch got flipped on and RBL got exposed and shown up. Finishing from his players was ruthless. 5 goals from 7 shot on target. Fantastic setup tonight, well done.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Have you even been here after a draw or a defeat ?
Of course. I don't see this mass "dislike".

Criticism is not the same as dislike. People can both like Ole and criticize him if they want.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I’ve said it a fair few times before but I’ll say it again: the job he has done with the make up of our squad is nothing short of outstanding.

We played a strong first team and were able to bring on the likes of Rashford, Bruno and Cavani to get us over the line against a very good side.

Granted, squad shaping comes at a cost but he’s succeeding in an area that others overwhelmingly failed. The decision to bin off Sanchez and Lukaku and trust in Rashford, Martial and Greenwood was a brave one that is starting to pay dividends.

And yes, we could very well lose to Arsenal at the weekend; however, I look at where we were compared to where we are now and the progress is undeniable.
He clearly has a vision, and it's perfect for our club. We know why that is, and while it doesn't mean he'll be half as good as SAF, it's important that we appreciate the changes. It's not the easiest way to do what Ole does, but since he came he was clear on it. I do it this way now or it's no point doing it. I've never felt Ole has done something selfish, every decision in detail is made thinking it helps the club. Can't get every decision right, but he has done a lot of cool things.

We seem united. The way we have gotten straight back into form after the Spurs defeat is direct proof of mental strength and togetherness we haven't seen since SAF.

Also, not with the same success yet, but if it weren't for his injuries then trusting a player like Tuanzebe might have payed off too. Look at Rashford and McTominay and how vital they have become. Look at Martial who has stepped up after the trust given to him. Even Fred and Shaw who struggled for game time for a while is now showing personality on the pitch. Ole have probably the youngest PL team and took them to 3rd place, and he is building something and is proving it with results and performances like these.

Him trusting certain players gives us the attacking edge we have lacked since SAF, and he is getting the whole team to work their ass off defensively to earn those attacking privileges so we're both dangerous and balanced, I'm enjoying the ride like ever before and frankly I'm impressed with Ole.

Last edited:

Green_Red

Not being negative, its great to win like that, but we need to see it for a run of 10 or 12 games. We've known for ages what this team is capable of but to win, even just challenge for, trophies we need to show this level consistently. I know they can do it but they need to prove it. Come the turn of this year we will know for sure what this team is capable of. Great win though.

The United

TBF, most 'good' teams like to play possession football. So, we play to counter it and win mostly. Reminds me of when Jose was good. SAF was master at that too. I think it is an important weapon to win cup competitions.

About against the weaker teams, well if you look at the recent record, it has improved. Do we need to improve more? Of course, otherwise we would have been a champion. We just need a fast and good winger or two to do them regularly.

Last edited:

Crustanoid

Do you have the impression that "so many fans" dislike Ole? Seems the contrary to me, most fans do like him.
To be fair there’s a lot of total dicks who throw tantrums left right and centre about Ole needing to be sacked immediately

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Of course. I don't see this mass "dislike".

Criticism is not the same as dislike. People can both like Ole and criticize him if they want.
Yes! Criticism is alright but a lot of people here have constantly been moving goal posts to discredit Ole. They praise another manager for something and when they are told that Ole did similar they come up with something else. And if nothing works they come up with Maguire’s and Pogba’s price tag.
Obviously Ole has his weaknesses but there is an incredible amount of underrating him and downplaying every good thing he does going on and at the same time a lot of celebrating of every little thing other managers do.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It’s an Internet forum and I don’t even know you, so it’s all good.
Ignore people like that, I think you're are a shining light on what can be an overly depressing and miserable forum. Only a fool can't see the progress Ole has made with this side so I'm still right behind Ole.