Yet another Tactical Masterclass from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Whoop whoop!

Verbalkint

I just watched Craig Burley on ESPN discredit Ole & Utd as much as he could. It was almost hilarious, man. Their pundits are a bunch of clowns really.

DRM

I wouldn't say it was a tactical masterclass as such, I think leipzig just imploded after the 2nd goal. I couldn't believe they were still pushing and leaving huge gaps for the likes of bruno, martial and Rashford to exploit. Tactical naivety from Mr shite suit jacket

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Add that to two slow CBs and a goalkeeper who refuse to leave the line even if his own goalpost is on fire and you're asking for trouble. I wonder why Ole took so long to acknowledge that. In my opinion we can either go diamond or else we should play Fred/McT, VDB, Bruno/Pogba.
I’m not sure what’s this obsession with Fred, VDB & Bruno in starting XI. We just saw it again yesterday where Ole wanted VDB plays mainly and it’ll be in much more advanced role. Even yesterday he still played Matic & Fred behind the attacking mind players and Matic was subbed off by McT and Ole still implemented the same structure. With that structure we still managed to score 5 goals and creating 14 shots. It’s total 70 shots in our last 4 games already. So we have no issue in term of creating number of chances with 2 defensive mind of midfielder.

AfroBuffalo

Was fantastic. I think criticism of Olly stems from him doing this then will go on to lose or draw against Arsenal the game after. Hope I’m wrong obviously.

his record against big teams can’t be questioned but against smaller teams you’re never guaranteed a win or good performance. I hope this season is down to fitness and we can hopefully kick on now.

Falcow

I think that's we're taking it to the other extreme now. Ole is not yet in a position to compete for the League, not yet anyhow. However its also ridiculous to trash Nagelsmann for losing with his team at home with United. Sure Leipzig are a well run club, probably far more then we are. However they do spend less then Everton or even West Ham. Money does matter.

What I am referring to is issues like spending 80m on a CB with no pace, playing with Matic and Pogba as the deep midfield line of a 4-2-3-1 system or go full Bolton with McT, Fred, Mata and James. These sort of things.
We have possibly the strongest squad in the league so why not? Maybe you meant win it as opposed to compete?

But I think we are in a position to win it this season. We are still behind pool who are a more mature unit but the gap is closing. Our squad is ahead of Citys at this point.

Bestietom

Supporters of this club have been baited for months by OleOUTers that hipster coaches like Nagelsmann put our manager to shame.
Viciously ranting that Ole doesn't know tactics, how to coach patterns of play, organise a press or make timely substitutions.
And WTF does he do in coaching session?

Solskjaer's Manchester United 5 - Nagelsmann’s Leipzig 0
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - :(

These threads are just getting too easy.
A top draw bonafide performance vs the most in form team in Europe and last seasons CL semi finalists.
Leipzig barely getting a serious shot on target. United totally dominant.

Ole is proving to be one of the best tactical brains in world football. Give him the right quality of players and a little time, and he's be spanking them all.
Well said.

jackal&hyde

Let see how he progress this season, but as you stated he did meet that standard last season, despite not being as impressive and convincing. Regardless, I have always stated that that first full season was not as black and white as you would present it. Which is why I have been critical of him. If you delve deeper into the outcome of that season, you would know that our point tally was similar to Moyes, and without the acquisition of Bruno, Ole wouldn’t be a United manager at the moment for the reason that after his purchase his goals/assist output contribution was an unusual high 50%. These metric reveals a better insight into that season than just our third places finish. If Ole meets the standards of a United manager, then I will definitely think that he is the right manager. These standards aren’t to hard to accomplish with the third most expensive team in football.
Without the acquisition of VVD Klopp would have won feck all. Good players are critical for a team's performance shock horror.

Gabagoo

Very premature thread.

It was a very good performance last night but let's be honest, the game was pretty even until Rashford came on and then RB just capitulated. We scored some very good goals, deserved to win and definitely got the better of them tactically by the end, but 5-0 didn't really reflect the entire match. Plus, RB had a few key injuries.

We recently got beaten 1-6 by Spurs. Again, that scoreline comes with two caveats: 1. we were utterly appalling after scoring our penalty and 2. we ourselves capitulated after Martial was sent off.

My points are that we recently got dicked in the league by a coach that you probably don't think is tactically better than Ole, and that a big scoreline doesn't necessarily reflect true dominance in a match.

Let's see how we're doing in the league by Xmas. And I'm #OleIn, by the way, before I get crap about being negative.

Last edited:

paulscholes18

So are we expecting to dominate and smash the opposition in every single game we play and not allowed to have bad games at all? High standards!
High standards :lol:
The odd bad game is fine but not 80% of league matches, is it really high standards not to expect to be turned over by Palace & Spurs, being thankful that Brighton were wasteful in front of goal. And is it really high standard to expect we would at least try and beat Chelsea at home, a team that conceded 3 in a half vs WBA & 3 vs Southampton

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
What about being a bit realistic instead? It was a great result indeed. However it was one game, at home, against a well run but smaller club who operates on a limited budget. This year Leipzig lost Werner and yet the still spent less then what we spent on Traore AND Pellistri. Last year they had a busy summer and yet they still spent less to what we spent on Maguire ALONE. These guys tend to spend less money then Everton or even West Ham do.

I have concerns about having Nagelsmann as our manager. I think that he's too young for the job however I don't believe its necessary to compare Nagelsmann's record with smaller clubs to that of Ole.
One game? We also beat PSG, and since Ole arrived we have a very good record against the other top 6 teams as well. But let people ignore that for some kind of agenda.

Bobade

I wouldn't say it was a tactical masterclass as such, I think leipzig just imploded after the 2nd goal. I couldn't believe they were still pushing and leaving huge gaps for the likes of bruno, martial and Rashford to exploit. Tactical naivety from Mr shite suit jacket
I think scoring two goals and then continuing to exploit the opponent's weaknesses in terms of mentality and positional play is a tactical masterclass, to be honest.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
No, we have played shit in 4/5 league games and in 15th
Joint 6th if the game in had is won. It is no surprise we haven’t played great so far this season but no pre season has affected most teams.

City are 13th, 1 point ahead of United. Liverpool got battered 7-1. Chelsea and Arsenal are 10th and 11th respectively.

It is not just United struggling. But it looks like the team is starting to find it’s feet. So judge them in a month or two not now.

Moby

Dick
The odd bad game is fine but not 80% of league matches, is it really high standards not to expect to be turned over by Palace & Spurs, being thankful that Brighton were wasteful in front of goal. And is it really high standard to expect we would at least try and beat Chelsea at home, a team that conceded 3 in a half vs WBA & 3 vs Southampton
Didnt we finish higher than 17 teams last season. 80% from a sample size of 5 games doesn't say much. Unless you think we are gonna lose 80% of the games this season?

romufc

Ole has no tactics some said.

3 different formations in 3 different games in a week.

Nagglesman has a better coached team.... had no answer

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I just watched Craig Burley on ESPN discredit Ole & Utd as much as he could. It was almost hilarious, man. Their pundits are a bunch of clowns really.
I have doubts about Ole but everyone at ESPN is overly anti United. They enjoy ripping into us or not giving us credit for everything. Especially that twat Burley who takes over the show everytime.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
To be honest, even after our early season wobble, I always thought this team has come on leaps and bounds under Ole. It's the first time since Sir Alex retired where we've looked exciting and moving forwards. There will be plenty of wobbles this season to come because we are still not there yet but the signs are good and clear - we are improving.

Woody and the board just need to get behind Ole, as do some of our fans.

Mihai

It's not that they pinned us to our box till the second goal. In fact, they created nothing up until then. Even if we scored just 2 goals, it would've still be considered a tactical masterclass by Ole, imo.

romufc

Yeah. I think for many on here aggressive pressing and running around like headless chickens with all hustle and bustle means a better coached team. I honestly enjoy it when we spank these 'gegenpress' teams.
Yep, so the coaches mentioned to take over United, Tuchel and Nagglesman and Ole has out thought both of them.

No doubt Nagglesman will be a top manager but put some respect on Ole's name after games like this

Glorio

Very premature thread.

It was a very good performance last night but let's be honest, the game was pretty even until Rashford came on and then RB just capitulated. We scored some very good goals, deserved to win and definitely got the better of them tactically by the end, but 5-0 didn't really reflect the entire match. Plus, RB had a few key injuries.

We recently got beaten 1-6 by Spurs. Again, that scoreline comes with two caveats: 1. we were utterly appalling after scoring our penalty and 2. we ourselves capitulated after Martial was sent off.

My points are that we recently got dicked in the league by a coach that you probably don't think is tactically better than Ole, and that a big scoreline doesn't necessarily reflect true dominance in a match.

Let's see how we're doing in the league by Xmas. And I'm #OleIn, by the way, before I get crap about being negative.
Take your point, but the 6-1 drubbing got way more of a response on here than this. Same thing, one match doth not a manager make.

So if folks will go one extreme after a poor start and result following a impossibly brilliant run from January, fair play to fans for going the opposite direction when there's actually something to celebrate.

Some folks on here have actually nicknamed Ole "the clueless one". Meanwhile his performances against the best manager clearly show he can mix it with the best, so he deserves some respect, respect which many United fans are so averse to him getting for whatever reason (not you btw).

I just hope we can win against Arsenal and then see where this takes us. The team has definitely been on the up and showing signs of progress from the turn of the year (bar gassing out at the end of last season and being behind everyone else fitness-wise at the start of this one).

Gabagoo

Take your point, but the 6-1 drubbing got way more of a response on here than this. Same thing, one match doth not a manager make.

So if folks will go one extreme after a poor start and result following a impossibly brilliant run from January, fair play to fans for going the opposite direction when there's actually something to celebrate.

Some folks on here have actually nicknamed Ole "the clueless one". Meanwhile his performances against the best manager clearly show he can mix it with the best, so he deserves some respect, respect which many United fans are so averse to him getting for whatever reason (not you btw).

I just hope we can win against Arsenal and then see where this takes us. The team has definitely been on the up and showing signs of progress from the turn of the year (bar gassing out at the end of last season and being behind everyone else fitness-wise at the start of this one).
I agree with everything here, which is basically the sentiments of my post and of my opinion.

Should we panic after a few league games this season? No. After one thrashing by Spurs? No. Should we go mental with excitement after two early CL group matches in which we got fantastic results? No.

We need to consistently dominate smaller teams in the PL over a season or two. Only after that happens will Ole's credentials to really belong here be proven.

And I have faith that could happen.

bsCallout

No, we have played shit in 4/5 league games and in 15th
If we win our game in hand we are joint 6th. If Villa win theirs they are top of the league. I think its fair to say the league is there for anyone still. We've been strong since Tottenham(a break)

Ole needs to really prove himself. If he went up against a managed team with the combined tactical nous and intelligence of red cafe Ole out brigade posters, he would soon come unstuck. This fictitious hybrid manager, a gestalt entity made, up of the brains of these posters would school Ole, especially as they would have the FM functions to underpin their tactical prowess.
These guys all know about coaching. That’s the key to everything, coaching.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I’m not sure what’s this obsession with Fred, VDB & Bruno in starting XI. We just saw it again yesterday where Ole wanted VDB plays mainly and it’ll be in much more advanced role. Even yesterday he still played Matic & Fred behind the attacking mind players and Matic was subbed off by McT and Ole still implemented the same structure. With that structure we still managed to score 5 goals and creating 14 shots. It’s total 70 shots in our last 4 games already. So we have no issue in term of creating number of chances with 2 defensive mind of midfielder.
Think you are missing the point there, PSG & RB last night attacked us, when we are playing a team that is happy to attack, we can play with two more defensive minded players, especially if they can pick a pass as it won't stop our counter transition. The issue is against teams that are happy to sit back, then we only need the 1 defensive player with two further forward, that's been my issue at least; against the likes of West Ham etc you see Pogba and Matic (for example) play deep, clearly Pogba should have been given instruction to roam further forward in those games.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'm actually still buzzing about this today, put a real spring in the step! You know what I loved more than anything, we were absolutely devastating in that final 30 minutes. Bruno and Rashford had a big impact with their individual quality but what they also did was increase the intensity by 50% across the board. Suddenly, we were at the heels of every Leipzig player and they just couldn't cope with it and to be honest, I don't think many teams could have either, it was relentless. Possibly my biggest pet peeve with Mourinho (and LVG) was that when we went up we never had that killer instinct to go for the jugular. Under Ole, I think that's been different and yesterday was the perfect culmination of that experience. It was clear to see that these were no mugs and I'd fancy them to beat many of our Premier League rivals so to outclass them to this degree shows our quality. No one can convince me otherwise that Ole isn't building something special here that is going to compete for the biggest trophies.

zizou81

Ole has finally grown a pair and is making bold decisions and subbing early as opposed to playing safe and not making changes till the 85th min.

This was my biggest criticism of him last season. I even thought lampard had that edge over him as lampard isnt shy in making subs. Something he probably picked up from jose or maybe its just something smart managers do.

I hope Ole continues to do this. One may say he trusts the squad more to do so, but I thought at times last season he had a bench to use but just didn't use it.

jeff_goldblum

Ole definitely deserves huge praise for his reaction to our defensive issues in the first few games. We look rock-solid now and have been comfortably the better team in each of our games since the Tottenham loss. We were unlucky not to get 3 points from Chelsea as it was and if Cavani/Martial had been fit/available for that game we'd have an 100% record since Spurs.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
It might not be the tacticall masterclass but if you have players who you know are individually as good as them might be a part of the plan, you know when you go out with a solid formation and make your class players look after it. I mean you know ehen we get chances we can outscore them easily while being defensively solid..

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Think you are missing the point there, PSG & RB last night attacked us, when we are playing a team that is happy to attack, we can play with two more defensive minded players, especially if they can pick a pass as it won't stop our counter transition. The issue is against teams that are happy to sit back, then we only need the 1 defensive player with two further forward, that's been my issue at least; against the likes of West Ham etc you see Pogba and Matic (for example) play deep, clearly Pogba should have been given instruction to roam further forward in those games.
We had 28 shots against Newcastle and 14 shots against Chelsea who sat deep against us. That proves that we can create chances. Quality of chances matters based on quality not quantity. If we want to improve the quality of those 28 shots and 14 shots isn’t about quantity but about improving the quality of the creative players and that’s for example upgrade James to Martial or Greenwood or may be Mata to Pogba or even Shaw to Telles.

I’m not saying it will always work because there is no such thing that guaranteed to work and we can always make subs to throw more attacking players but having 2 more defensive type midfielder so far haven’t prevent us in creating good amount of chances. There are 4 attacking mind players and full back to offer in attack in the structure.

Gordon S

We had 14 shots against Chelsea, and Mendy had to make a handful of impressive saves. Pretty sure that means we at least tried to beat them?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm surprised by the number of Man Utd fans who seem sorry to have watched Ole outdo Tuchel and Nagelsmann tactically.

I'm buzzing this morning. I have seen United play three different shapes in a week, execute Ole's game plan each time, Ole use the bench to effect two Champions League matches positively. Its been great. As a bonus I've even seen Marcus Rashford's first hat trick.

Come on the CAF and some people are as gloomy as the weather! :lol:

Lads, when Miguel Delaney can't even make the case for Pochettino today you might wanna give it a rest? ;)

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Being a United supporter is certainly a roller coaster. Not a lover of them myself and the sudden drops make me feel sick. Enjoying the highs, and whatever the dips, we have had patches of Fergie football that Moyes, LVG and Jose did not manage on anything like a consistent basis.

Last edited:

romufc

I'm actually still buzzing about this today, put a real spring in the step! You know what I loved more than anything, we were absolutely devastating in that final 30 minutes. Bruno and Rashford had a big impact with their individual quality but what they also did was increase the intensity by 50% across the board. Suddenly, we were at the heels of every Leipzig player and they just couldn't cope with it and to be honest, I don't think many teams could have either, it was relentless. Possibly my biggest pet peeve with Mourinho (and LVG) was that when we went up we never had that killer instinct to go for the jugular. Under Ole, I think that's been different and yesterday was the perfect culmination of that experience. It was clear to see that these were no mugs and I'd fancy them to beat many of our Premier League rivals so to outclass them to this degree shows our quality. No one can convince me otherwise that Ole isn't building something special here that is going to compete for the biggest trophies.
This. We stayed in the game and then when they tired, we absolutely went for it. Players were hungry, some of the passing was crisp. We can see Ole is building something.

IF Ole can get us playing like this consistently, we can go far this season. This is one thing that we are yet to see from Ole, consistent high intensity performances against every team.

alexthelion

We have possibly the strongest squad in the league so why not? Maybe you meant win it as opposed to compete?

But I think we are in a position to win it this season. We are still behind pool who are a more mature unit but the gap is closing. Our squad is ahead of Citys at this point.

:lol:

Not even close to Liverpool or City.

cyberman

Why is it seen as a gift when teams attack? I dont even think PSG and RBL overly attacked us.
Having pace up top doesnt mean we are a counter attack side. We also have a team full of ball carriers and a AM that loses the ball a lot with his incredible directness and which is not possession stat friendly so when people bring up these stats as if its proof of anything then its very misleading.
I dont think we were a counter attack side v PSG or RBL in the slightest.