Yet another Tactical Masterclass from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Whoop whoop!

wolvored

I have no idea why Ole wasn't screaming to one of the defenders to go back to the half way line as Ba was on his own for long enough for him to notice.

Or was he watching his Ipad again so wasn't in his shot?
probably watching a coronation street rerun

Luke1995

SAF said that he did advise Moyes to keep them and told him it is a well run oiled machine and he felt that Moyes felt " inferior" (my words) and wanted to bring his own people to support him.
Must be it.

But also, I feel like if a certain coaching staff is not working, is not helping bringing in the results, usually the managers refuse to just fire them and bring in others.

I have never seen a manager, at least not a big name manager, get rid of his staff and bring another.

My point is: Maybe Ole should change things up in the staff. Don't even know if he has the power to do that though.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
:lol: :lol: not a fan of bragging but you’ve gone to all this effort. I actually like you as a poster, proper make me giggle.

Well maybe Ole still turns it around, maybe not, I’m gonna try and stay positive. The post of mine you quoted simply said to give him credit for the performance anyway.

Bro you must be dead excited about the Poch rumours, you said it yourself that he’s the one to take us back to the top so if he joins he better deliver, you know, you might get that Amaedus moment you crave when he lifts the prem with us, however if he doesn’t I’m jumping on you like a sumo wrestler. :lol:
If Pochettino joins us and is backed like previous manchester United manager baring Moyes, I am confident he will take us back to the top. Pochettino will get to sign multiple world class player and looking at his Spurs team, I am excited to see United having more technical gifted footballers here. With that amount and with these current crop of players, I will be surprised if he doesn’t. Thinking of all the world class players, I m wonder which one Pochettino will pick for United that will be the foundation for his achievement.

So becuase we’ve lost a few games since that post of yours this proves you right?

Feck me, we should have been listening to Amadeus off the Caf all along :rolleyes:

What were your comments on Poch when he was in absolute free fall at Spurs when he got the sack? That doesn’t count though eh?
:lol: it still seems you will not learn. I m not even looking at the result, but the performances is more telling. The rb Leipzig game was very deceptive which I pointed out.

RUCK4444

:lol: it still seems you will not learn. I m not even looking at the result, but the performances is more telling. The rb Leipzig game was very deceptive which I pointed out.
Again I ask, what were your posts like when Poch was in complete free fall at Spurs?

What’s good for the goose is good for gander, as they say...

Surely by your own standard for appraising managers, for Poch to have such an incredible fall from grace means he’s a crap manager? The same way Ole is a crap manager when we have a bad spell (still nothing as dramatic as Poch had), no?

Foxbatt

Must be it.

But also, I feel like if a certain coaching staff is not working, is not helping bringing in the results, usually the managers refuse to just fire them and bring in others.

I have never seen a manager, at least not a big name manager, get rid of his staff and bring another.

My point is: Maybe Ole should change things up in the staff. Don't even know if he has the power to do that though.
I think any manager has the power to change his staff. United under SAF have done so. You do not sack them as they say have just left the club. But how on Earth someone like Ole think that Carrick and McKenna and Ole himself who has not coached at this level be good enough? SAF got top class coaches from other clubs. Steve McLaren and Quiroz from other clubs and had good reputations. I mean not like McKenna who never was a top coach at any club.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If Pochettino joins us and is backed like previous manchester United manager baring Moyes, I am confident he will take us back to the top. Pochettino will get to sign multiple world class player and looking at his Spurs team, I am excited to see United having more technical gifted footballers here. With that amount and with these current crop of players, I will be surprised if he doesn’t. Thinking of all the world class players, I m wonder which one Pochettino will pick for United that will be the foundation for his achievement.

What’s so good about poch? Why is he on another level to other managers? Why is he the one to bring us back to glory?

I’m not doubting it, I just haven’t seen anything to make me feel so certain that he’s a dead ringer to bring us back to the top.

Foxbatt

What’s so good about poch? Why is he on another level to other managers? Why is he the one to bring us back to glory?

I’m not doubting it, I just haven’t seen anything to make me feel so certain that he’s a dead ringer to bring us back to the top.
I don't think so too. He did well with Soton and Spurs. But I prefer Nagelsmann or Rose. Nagelsmann is my first choice.

Amadaeus

Again I ask, what were your posts like when Poch was in complete free fall at Spurs?

What’s good for the goose is good for gander, as they say...

Surely by your own standard for appraising managers, for Poch to have such an incredible fall from grace means he’s a crap manager? The same way Ole is a crap manager when we have a bad spell (still nothing as dramatic as Poch had), no?
Simple managerial cycle and lack of resources needed to refresh the team as evident with Mourinho spending the transfer windows since he has been in charge. Not sure how anyone can compare Ole lack of consistency with pochettino last year.

He revolutionized Spurs and Southampton, taking them to places they have never been to in a long time. He did this with lack of resources. At United, he will get more resources than he ever had in his career and if he gets to implement his philosophy, sport science equipment, purchase realistic attainable targets, and at least two world class signing in under three years, then it will be a dead bringer that he will bring us back on top. You can even quote me on this.

Cloud7

Must be it.

Serious question, because this idea is always floated around as a way for our failing managers to potentially improve, by hiring new coaches.

Has any manager in the history of football ever actually done that? I know Sir Alex did a few times throughout his career, and I think Wenger must have as well, but besides the two of them, what manager really changes his coaches when things go wrong? Usually managers live and die by their coaches, no? Since they're part of the way the manager functions. I know there are exceptions like Rui Faria leaving Jose, or that guy leaving Klopp, but when have managers ever actually fired their coaches and replaced them when things are going wrong?

Son

I’ve seen Poch’s Spurs play wonderful football before. Better than we have seen at United in years so yeah I’d take him even if he doesn’t get us “back to the top”.

Better would be a start. Our club isn’t ran to go back to the top anyways. Those times are not coming back no matter who is in charge I imagine for maybe 10 years or so... maybe if ever? Nobody can know but it won’t be soon.

croadyman

Think Nagelsmann could still manage Utd at some point but just not at the moment

shahzy

Either we fire now and get Poch. Not sure if he will get us to win but it will be a hell of a lot more better than it is now. Or we wait, completely ruin next season to in the hopes of getting Nagelsmam in the summer. Either way Ole is done and really most knew that apart from Sammsky1

croadyman

Either we fire now and get Poch. Not sure if he will get us to win but it will be a hell of a lot more better than it is now. Or we wait, completely ruin next season to in the hopes of getting Nagelsmam in the summer. Either way Ole is done and really most knew that apart from Sammsky1
The problem if we wait too long then any of the decent options will be either off the table or not willing to leave their present club

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
True. I’m sure he’ll retort calling me not bright again & accuse me of googling a random assortment of games from 15 years ago...

One thing I’ll say is the Glazer’s have sucessfully lowered the bar with a large percentage of our fan base. As evidenced by plenty on this forum.
Dante is unfortunately the top red type of poster who will insult those who disagree with him. It's all good or evil in his books

Anders Agnalt

The problem if we wait too long then any of the decent options will be either off the table or not willing to leave their present club
We have tried a few big name managers, experience shows it won't help. Maybe we only need the manager to sit more than one and a half season? It takes time to build a team, it takes time to remove unwanted players. Let Ole sit a couple of more years, even Ferguson wouldn't have had the job with his first couple of seasons. Ole need support from the board, he needs the right players. Not the big name players, not the 100 mio players. He only need players that offer 100% on the pitch every time. He need to rotate the squad, but first he need enough players with the right attitude and quality!

reddevilz007

We have tried a few big name managers, experience shows it won't help. Maybe we only need the manager to sit more than one and a half season? It takes time to build a team, it takes time to remove unwanted players. Let Ole sit a couple of more years, even Ferguson wouldn't have had the job with his first couple of seasons. Ole need support from the board, he needs the right players. Not the big name players, not the 100 mio players. He only need players that offer 100% on the pitch every time. He need to rotate the squad, but first he need enough players with the right attitude and quality!
Do Leicester, Everton, Southampton, Wolves and Aston Villa have a better squad than us? Yet they’re all above and play way better than us.

If your direct superior lacks competencies and leadership skills, it will show in your work group, and that’s exactly what we’re seeing right now.

Abhinav

I was where you are at till the last game. Even now, there is a little part in me which is hoping that Ole will turn it around. The reality is that we are just not displaying basics consistently enough on the pitch for me to believe that Ole can turn it around.
I rewatched many games and one thing stands out - there is absolutely no intent from our players to make any space when we are facing an organized defence. They take up positions on the edge of the box and don't move, hoping to play little one-two's and somehow dribble into the box. This cannot be the primary attacking approach against PL quality defences. This is basic stuff and I am just surprised that our coaching staff has not worked on this with the players on the training ground. So either our players our flat out disobeying or our coaching staff is not able to get through to them. Either way its not good enough for a club like Manchester United.

Berbasbullet

Simple managerial cycle and lack of resources needed to refresh the team as evident with Mourinho spending the transfer windows since he has been in charge. Not sure how anyone can compare Ole lack of consistency with pochettino last year.

He revolutionized Spurs and Southampton, taking them to places they have never been to in a long time. He did this with lack of resources. At United, he will get more resources than he ever had in his career and if he gets to implement his philosophy, sport science equipment, purchase realistic attainable targets, and at least two world class signing in under three years, then it will be a dead bringer that he will bring us back on top. You can even quote me on this.
What do you think he is likely to do in terms of players he brings in? Which players do you think won’t fit in with his style and leave?

georgipep

It all began with this. I am not a fan of bragging because I am Amadaues, but some fans really never learn a thing. Even if Ole pulls out with a victory against Everton, the same cycle will repeat itself because Ole isn’t a very good manager.

@SteveW

I am sure a missed quite a few on here, but once again, I am point on. Ole has a long way to go to convince me.
What are you even bragging about now? That you can't spell your own username?

What has happened?

Also, don't quote me if you don't want to quote what I said. It's bs to you because you are deluded and don't want to face facts.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He spent 130m in defence and it looks shit. These are Ole's players

Womp

idiot
Threads like this are why people really need to hold off from blowing their load so quickly. You tell people to chill out after a few good games on here and you're berated as some sort of negative idiot. You'd think people would learn after approaching 10 years of false dawns not to blow so early.

Womp

idiot
All that is pointless. What Ole needs is a set footballing ideology and the ability to implement it through world class coaching. So far we have been starved of seeing anything of the sort. It's not just about money spent. He's been here a while, we should be seeing some signs of the coaching improving the squad/style. Ever since he's come, I'll prolly get blasted for saying it - but we just look like a Mourinho team with better players.

Jeffthered

Unfortunately, Ole' seems limited in his management capabilities. I always felt he was 'learning on the job..' but his limitations, tactically, in terms of motivation of staff, management (for example Bruno a super signing for sure, but elsewhere.. ??? Not quite sure.. and remember the massive new contracts that he has given out to players, some of which he clearly doesn't even want...!!!)

Thing is, we will probably get a result at Everton and many will suggest that Ole' is the way forward.

hurricane thunderclap

It feels like and it looks like the players are not turning up. Rashford playing in multiple roles , beek too deep , Pogba lost and Bruno lacking any drive. I'm Harry f#cking maguire is a major liability and in the games Henderson has played in he is more often than not in an apocalyptic rage at what is happening in front of him. Squad selection is becoming bizarre. We are too slow and given our forwards obvious class we would score more but the opposition can walk back to position in the time it takes us to move forward.
It may not be his style but I am screaming at the t.v and radio why isn't Ole bellowing from the front?
The game aga RB flattered to deceive. They popped the ball around better and honestly (despite the result) looked like a better unit.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I don't know how any manager could get Pogba, Fernandes and Donny to play together in the same midfield while keeping the defensive part taken care of though

And i'm not sure if the Maguire-Lindelof partnership will work in the long term. It's just hard to trust in the board's actions after seven years of bad results.
I wouldn't want or expect our next manager to play them all. I want somebody that comes in at chooses players on merit to suit their "philosophy". Hell, the first thing I'd do would be to try and sell Pogba and make a statement to the rest of the squad. The next manager needs to command respect and be unwavering on how they want us to play. In sick of trying to shoehorn names into the team.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Do Leicester, Everton, Southampton, Wolves and Aston Villa have a better squad than us? Yet they’re all above and play way better than us.

If your direct superior lacks competencies and leadership skills, it will show in your work group, and that’s exactly what we’re seeing right now.
Ole supporters still think it's a big deal that we managed to make up the 18 points gap from Leicester last year while conveniently ignoring the fact that we were somehow 18 points down in the first place with a better squad.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
So he can bench them for players who don't?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

:lol: No he didn’t

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This year we have some pure gold threads. This whoop whoop will stick i guess. And of course there is "first game is irrelevant" thread.

SAFMUTD

We have tried a few big name managers, experience shows it won't help.
I agree with you, we have sacked managers with experience before and bought and sold players and it didnt worked out.

Maybe all we need is to keep the same manager and players for a long long time no matter how piss poor we are and it will eventually click and turn around.

Greck

I agree with you, we have sacked managers with experience before and bought and sold players and it didnt worked out.

Maybe all we need is to keep the same manager and players for a long long time no matter how piss poor we are and it will eventually click and turn around.
This is literally what every club does before finding an ideal manager. Our approach to this issue is so unusual. You don't stick with one person just because you got burned several times in the past.

SAFMUTD

This is literally what every club does before finding an ideal manager. Our approach to this issue is so unusual. You don't stick with one person just because you got burned several times in the past.
It was sarcasm mate, Im tired of the posters who claim we shouldn't pursue experience managers because it didnt worked out with LVG and Mourinho.

Its like saying we shouldn't buy great players because Di Maria and Alexis didn't worked out, or we shouldn't buy young players because Depay and Daniel James were shit.

We must hire and sack hire and sack until we find the right one, and ideally not waiting more than a season. I think from one season we can get a pretty good damn idea about the manager, that mediocrity disguised as "patience" about only sacking a manager after things are in deepshit is frustrating.

Greck

It was sarcasm mate, Im tired of the posters who claim we shouldn't pursue experience managers because it didnt worked out with LVG and Mourinho.

Its like saying we shouldn't buy great players because Di Maria and Alexis didn't worked out, or we shouldn't buy young players because Depay and Daniel James were shit.
My bad.

Amadaeus

What do you think he is likely to do in terms of players he brings in? Which players do you think won’t fit in with his style and leave?
This is just speculation at the moment based on his squad at spurs and Southampton. I feel he will focus on strengthening the midfield in particular the double pivot. Thomas Partey would have been ideal for his team, but he is no longer attainable, so he may use one of his world class signing purchases on Camaviga who would be ideal in a double pivot role as he is great at winning the ball and retaining possession. If Pochettino can not land him, he may go for Denis Zakari, who wouldn’t be a world class signing, but a player who fits Pochettino philosophy. Another player Pochettino might go for is a traditional no.9 that can always guarantee 20 goals a season. Haland comes to mind as his second world class signing choice along with Camiviga. United under the last three managers has broken transfer record to sign elite players, so I feel that if that trend continues, these players will fit the type of football Pochettino will play at United. These two players in particular fit the profile of a Pochettino signing in terms of developing players into world class talent.

I believe a majority of our players will fit into plan. Maybe Martial will struggle a bit, pogba as well if played deeper, matic, mata, lingard and James.
:lol: No he didn’t

Berbasbullet

This is just speculation at the moment based on his squad at spurs and Southampton. I feel he will focus on strengthening the midfield in particular the double pivot. Thomas Partey would have been ideal for his team, but he is no longer attainable, so he may use one of his world class signing purchases on Camaviga who would be ideal in a double pivot role as he is great at winning the ball and retaining possession. If Pochettino can not land him, he may go for Denis Zakari, who wouldn’t be a world class signing, but a player who fits Pochettino philosophy. Another player Pochettino might go for is a traditional no.9 that can always guarantee 20 goals a season. Haland comes to mind as his second world class signing choice along with Camiviga. United under the last three managers has broken transfer record to sign elite players, so I feel that if that trend continues, these players will fit the type of football Pochettino will play at United. These two players in particular fit the profile of a Pochettino signing in terms of developing players into world class talent.

I believe a majority of our players will fit into plan. Maybe Martial will struggle a bit, pogba as well if played deeper, matic, mata, lingard and James.

Interesting, thank you for the detailed post.

Luke1995

I think any manager has the power to change his staff. United under SAF have done so. You do not sack them as they say have just left the club. But how on Earth someone like Ole think that Carrick and McKenna and Ole himself who has not coached at this level be good enough? SAF got top class coaches from other clubs. Steve McLaren and Quiroz from other clubs and had good reputations. I mean not like McKenna who never was a top coach at any club.
Doesn't Mckenna has some experience coaching our youth system though ?