You’re the new United manager, which players do you keep?

JoaquinJoaquin

I'd get rid of the following for sure:
1) Darmian - Just not good enough
2) McTominay - See above ^
3) Valencia - Not the quality we require anymore. Been a good servant, but time to go.
4) Jones - Never progressed and has stole a living for the last 2 years.
5) Rojo - Quite like him, but seems injury prone now and can't see where he fits.
6) Lingard - Has the odd good game once in a blue moon, but epitomises everything wrong with this team at the minute.

In the maybe pile:
1) Alexis - His legs have gone but need to see if he can at least contribute anything, or if he is well and truly washed up.
2) Young - Age is against him and should only be a squad player at this point anyways.
3) Mata - See above ^
4) Herrera - Nice guy, but not of the top quality standard we need in CM. Would possibly keep him as a squad option if he wanted that, but I doubt he would.

Obi-Red-Kenobi

Supports
Liverpool
Stay
Goalkeepers

De Gea - Best keeper in the world.
Romero - Great backup.
Grant - Good third choice.

Defenders
Bailly - Can become one of the worlds best.
Smalling - Good backup.
Shaw - Still a lot of potential.
Dalot - Just came so give him a chance.

Midfielders
Pogba - World class if he puts his mind to it.
Fred - Just came so give him a chance.
Matic - Fantastic player.
Mctominay - Good backup.

Forwards
Rashford - Still a lot of potential.
Martial - Can become a special player.

Go
Defenders

Jones - Not good enough. Injured all the time and always has an error in him.
Darmian - Not good enough.
Young - Past it.
Valencia - Past it.
Lindelof - Not good enough for the Premier League.
Rojo - Not good enough.

Midfielders
Fellaini - Not good enough.
Mata - Past it.
Herrera - Not good enough.

Forwards
Lingard - Would have left years ago if Ferguson was still in charge.
Lukaku - Everton/Watford level at best.
I’m not a UTD fan, but would agree with a lot of this.

Fellaini might be worth keeping as a squad, last ditch type of player. Lukaku is a weird player. Scores loads against teams he should score against, but top strikers score against top teams consistently.

It’s been a long time since UTD have had a consistent forward who they could really trust. Ibrahimovic was great for a period, but was always a short term answer.

You’d probably kill for a Van Nistelroy right now.

Interesting that you see Bailly in that way. Mourinho bought him, and he is a quality player, but decides to drop him for a youngster whose not a defender.

Weird decision.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Tier 1 - Keep at all costs:
De Gea, Dalot, Shaw, Rashford

Tier 2 - Rather keep than sell:
Romero, Bailly, Pereira, Matic, Fred, Martial

Tier 3 - Don't mind if they're kept but won't shed a tear if sold:
Rojo, Fellaini, Pogba, Lingard, Herrera, Lukaku

Tier 4 - Get rid at all costs:
Grant, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Lindelof, Young, Darmian, McTominay, Mata, Alexis

Mickson

De Gea, Dalot, A.Pereira, Martial, Lingard, Rashford and Pogba. The rest I don't give a feck about. Note that some loanes should stay, such as TFM, Tuanzebe etc. Also think it's funny how overrated Shaw has been since he fluked in a goal and two fluke assists aswell. Bang average and can't defend and it's not like he offers something great going forward. How our standards have fallen.

Players that need to leave: Jones (too injury prone), Smalling (seen his best days and not good enough), Rojo (not in a good age and not good enough and also injury prone), Lindelof (not good enough), Bailly (too injury prone), Young (too old and not good enough), Valencia (seen his best days), Romero (old and is not good enough), Grant (same as Romero), Mata (too old, offers nothing and isn't flexible), Matic (old and slow, doesen't fit in how United should play), Fellaini (same as Matic), McTominay (not good enough), Lukaku (don't fit in how United should play, would get good money for him), Shaw (would get decent money for himaverage), Alexis (it doesen't work, old), Darmian (old and not good enough, offers nothing), Fred (not good enough and no loss because he's new) and Herrera (it's time, bang average).

It may be harsh, but it's time to do something.

Jev

Baffled to see so many ready to ship Lukaku. He's one of the 10 best strikers in a world, he's just in a dysfunctional team.

Mickson

Baffled to see so many ready to ship Lukaku. He's one of the 10 best strikers in a world, he's just in a dysfunctional team.
Becuase if United wants to be the best team in the world, and even in the Premier League, then Lukaku isn't good enough. Would Real buy Lukaku? Barca? Even Manchester City? Not a chance. And it really is debatable that Lukaku is top 10 in the world. I think not. Imo it has more to do with what kind of player he is.

RE1999

Pretty short list to be honest.

Keepers - DDG, Pereira and Grant (helps fill the English quota). No point having Romero any more given the lack of playing time impacting his performances.

Defenders - Dalot, Shaw for first 11. Young, Bailly, Smalling as cover. Realistically need 3/4 new defenders though.

Midfielders - Andreas, Fred for first 11. Herrara, Fellaini, Matic for cover. 2/3 new midfielders needed. Pogba wants out, let him go.

Attackers - I would keep most of them - Lukaku, Lingard, Sanchez, Rashford, Martial should all stay. I would let Martial or Sanchez go if a good bid came in for them though.

Jev

Becuase if United wants to be the best team in the world, and even in the Premier League, then Lukaku isn't good enough. Would Real buy Lukaku? Barca? Even Manchester City? Not a chance. And it really is debatable that Lukaku is top 10 in the world. I think not. Imo it has more to do with what kind of player he is.
Barca and City wouldn't buy him but that's more a matter of style than quality in my opinion. I think Real would jump at the chance to buy him as an alternative/a replacement for Benzema personally.

The guy was the best out-and-out striker at the World Cup. He's quality, we're just not giving him, or any of our players, a platform to show it.

lysglimt

Scout
I was talking about this seriously with a friend earlier, say you took over at United before the next summer transfer window, who would you actually be keen to keep? There are so many players in our squad I actively want to leave, and even more that I’d be indifferent if they were to leave.

The biggest problem is, in our proper 1st team squad, we barely have any players who I’d say are genuinely irreplaceable. David De Gea in terms of ability, attitude, consistency, dedication to the club and status at the club is probably the only one who I think would be impossible to replace like for like. Nobody else at the club has given us what he has. I’d probably also argue that because of their roots at the club, guys like Rashford and Lingard have something irreplaceable about them, but ability-wise they could certainly be replaced if we’re honest.

If I took over, I think I’d want to keep De Gea, Lindelöf, Bailly, Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Smalling, Lingard, Pereira, Fred, Dalot, Romero, Shaw and Matic, and from the fringe/loan players I’d definitely want Gomes, Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe etc involved. But half of them I wouldn’t be devastated if they were to go.

The Phil Jones x Manchester United story just has to end now. Mata used to be a top footballer, but now he moves like he’s got rigor mortis, I don’t see what he offers anymore. Where even is Rojo, is he ever fit, I’m just bored of him, he’s always injured and when he isn’t he’s unreliable and bang-average. Young is crap, like monumentally crap. I’ve never rated Herrera, I’ve never been sure what he’s good at, and I’ve come to the conclusion he’s not actually good at anything. Valencia is beyond finished, he offers nothing. Fellaini symbolises so much of what’s been wrong about the club over the past half a decade, I don’t like making him a scapegoat - I just don’t want him at the club. Darmian the invisible man, where is he, what is he, what is he doing, does he even exist? I can’t remember.

We’re Manchester United, and we can play an XI that looks something like this in a serious football match:

————————XXXXX
Valencia——Jones——Rojo——Darmian
————--Herrera—-—XXXXX
Mata——————Fellaini————Young
————————-XXXXX

Get all of those gone, promote from within with the you get players where appropriate, and buy well where it strengthens us and if the players suit us moving forward.

I stopped reading once you said you wanted Lindelöf to stay

Minimalist

All of them pretty much until I'd see how they'd fit into my vision/system (a number of matches).

It's actually pointless judging them (at least precisely) based off this guff we're currently seeing.

A lot of them are much better players than they're showing right now.

Revaulx

I know the defence is not performing well right now, but our attack has been crap for ages.

Yet it’s always the defenders the Caf wants to bin off. Despite there being little evidence that other clubs have better ones.

Defence poor = players’ fault

Attack poor = manager’s fault

I’m not convinced by this line of thinking :confused:

Big Andy

Bloke
He’s in the “I’d prefer him to stay but I wouldn’t really care if he left” category for me. I think in a better structured, possession-based system he may look better and would be worth trying for a year under a new manager.
He's one of those players that shits himself playing for United...he's looked overwhelmed from day 1 when he gifted Huddersfield a goal on his debut...

File him under the banner of "not got the bollocks"...

Ballache

Supports
Martial
23 man squad WC style:

DDG, Romero, Grant
TFM, Dalot
Smalling, VNL, Toby, Bailly
Shaw, Young
Fellaini, Pogba, Matic, Fred, Neves, Andreas.
New RW, Lingard.
Lukaku, Greenwood.
Martial, Rashford.

Greenwood maybe not to fully ready yet, someone like Mandzukic would be good for a couple of seasons.
This would be my main squad and I'd build from there.

NinjaFletch

In this alternative reality where we can afford to bin half our players I genuinely think only the following have shown in their careers the requisite attitude or ability to play for United, or are new enough that they should be given the benefit of the doubt, or should be given the benefit of the doubt that they would do better under a new manager.

De Gea, Romero, TFM, Dalot, Smalling, Bailly, Shaw, Matic, Fred, Pereira, Alexis, Rashford, Lukaku, Lingard

Actually grim when you consider how much money we've spent.

Zlatattack

We need a phased approach over 2-3 windows, but there is a lot of deadwood to clear out.

Replace ASAP
Darmian - Not good enough.
Jones, too injury prone, decent when fit; but that's rare - so need to get rid.
Rojo, decent CB, but we have enough decent ones, we need a WC one, surplus to requirements.
Mata, was a great player at Chelsea, was decent at times for us, just does nothing for us anymore.

We need a proper Right Winger, a top class centre back immediately. The guys above need to move on to get those people in.

Replace Soon
Herrera,
Fellaini,
Lingard,
Valencia,
Young,

The midfielders need to be replaced to improve the overall quality of the squad/team. They don't push the "first team" guys hard enough, and when bought on are limited in what they do. Right now we see Pogba/Sanchez stinking the place up, Matic is hardly pulling up any trees either, but the replacements aren't good enough. Your backups need to be good enough to replace the first team when they're not in form, ours aren't.

The fullbacks are just ageing and are currently being pushed out of the squad by younger replacements. Long term we need to consider replacing these guys either with first team quality FB's or backups to push Dalot/Shaw.

Wait and See
Pogba, Does he want out, or is this just limited to Mourinho. If he's inconsistent under a new manager, i'd sell whilst his value and marketability is high.

Sanchez, Out of form, or finished? We need to take some time to tell. If he is declining, we need to ship out.

Martial, is he being held back, is he misused, is he just lazy? We need a new manager to give him a run and find out.

Bailly & Lindelof, i thought one day these guys would be our Rio and Vidic, whether they can remains to be seen. Need to give them some time to develop, build a partnership. If by summer 2020 they're still shite, get rid.

Lukaku, I'm not saying we need to replace him but in his careers he's always had highs and lows. During the low periods he doesn't score, we need to consider where the goals come from in the team when this is the case. Maybe that's rotating in Rashford/Martial as direct competition, or buying in a striker for that purpose.

Some of these guys are out of form, others might be stalled in progression, we need time and a fresh pair of eyes to see how it goes with them.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
These are the players I'd sell. To be realistic the majority of the squad needs to stay. The problem some are struggling could be the Mourinho syndrome.

Valencia - Very good servant to the club. However, it seems he's forgotten to cross the ball or try taking a man on these days. Which doesn't sit right for an ex-winger

Jones - Once a great hope. Unfortunate with his injuries

Rojo - Accident waiting to happen. Hoof ball merchant

Lindelof - I'm not sure he's made for the Premiership

Darmian - Completely turned rubbish after an initial few games

McTominay - Loan or sell with a buy-back clause if staff have a lot of faith

Fellaini - Cumbersome and slows down our play is too safe with his passing. Despite being hailed as a danger in the penalty hardly creates and he's only scored a few goals in all his years at United.

Ephrem

Realistically this is what I will do :

Sell

GK: Wont touch that department unless someone wants to leave. Will loan all the young keepers out.
DEF: Darmian, Valencia, Rojo and Jones will be moved out. Young will be a squad option for multiple positions, will be allowed to leave if he wants to move on.
Tuanzebe loan to one of the EPL teams.
MID: Herrera and Mata will be sold. McTominay loaned out. Fellaini will be a squad option, will be allowed to leave if he wants to move on.
Pogba is a different case. If he wants to move out will happily sell him for something close 150m and bring in De Jong
FWD: Sanchez will be sold for sure.
Lukaku will have to accept rotation, if he cant he will be sold.

Buy: Alderweireld for the reported sum will be the first choice CB.
If not Alderweireled then Dayot Upamecano/Milan Škriniar will be the first choice to replace Rojo and Jones.

Mid: Neves,De Jong/Fekir

Forward: Christian Pulisic

Team will be:

GK: DDG,Romeo,Grant

DEF:
RB: Dalot, Mensah and Young ( back RB and LB)
CB: Alderweireld, Smalling, Baily, Lindelöf . [ Mensah will play as a CB if required ]
LB: Shaw and Young ( back RB and LB)

CM:
First choice with Pogba : Pereira-Neves-Pogba First choice without Pogba : Pereira-Neves-De Jong
Backups : Matic,Fred, Fellaini and Lingard.

ATTACK:
First Choice : Fekir Lukaku Martial
Backup: Christian Pulisic, Rashford,Chong

Hughes35

Actively sell / sell cheapish:

Darmian
Fellani
Mctominay (Loan)
Rojo
Jones

Would listen to offers:

Mata
Lindelof
Valencia (Probably very unlikely to get a good offer due to age so keep as a squad player)
Young (Probably very unlikely to get a good offer due to age so keep as a squad player)
Herrera
Pereira
Sanchez
Martial

Keep:

De Gea
Lingard
Shaw
Dalot
Bailly
Lukaku
Matic
Fred
Pogba
Smalling
Rashford

Buy (In order of importance):

Creative Midfielder
Centre Half
Winger

The scary thing is that when making these lists, it used to be the case that only maybe one player would be actively sold, 2 or 3 on the listen to offers list and the rest would be on the keep list with maybe one transfer target. Reminds you how weak the squad is. Even some of my "Keep Players" are only because I think they are versatile, good squad players / good in certain games (Lingard).

Woziak

Assuming that a new Manager is in place for 2019-20 season and funds are not limitless with a £150M max Budget available, the squad would need some pretty major surgery if they are 6 or 7 places off of the Top 4. We would not have any European football this season so we could have a more streamlined squad of 25 maximum with 2 of them coming from Under 23's, we would probably need to bring 6 players in over January and Summer transfer window.

Keep at all Costs (14)

D De Gea, C Smalling, E Bailly, M Rashford, J Lingard, L Shaw, S Romero, L Grant, D Dalot, A Pereira, P Pogba (providing his Agent shuts up!), A Martial, Fred, R Lukaku

Wait and see based on performances (5)

A Herrera, M Feillani, N Matic, V Lindelof, A Young - we would probably keep 2 of these players. (Point of exercise Linderlof, Matic are kept, Herrera, young and Feillani Sold for 35M)

SOLD without hesitation for set fee (5)

A Sanchez - 60M, P Jones 15M, M Darmian 10M, M Rojo 20M, J Mata 20M, A Valencia Free Total sales 125M

Loaned out 1 year loan deals (4)

S McTominay, A Gomez, E Laird, A Barlow

Promoted from within (3)

T Chong, T Fosu-Mensah, A Tuanzebe

This would leave us with a squad without new signings of 19 players and a season of maybe 47 to 48 games max.

2019-20 Proposed Squad ; Age in brackets

Gk -
D De Gea(28), S Romero(32), L Grant(36)
Defenders D Dalot (20), T Fosu-Mensah (22), C Smalling (30), E Bailly (26), V Linderlof (25), A Tuanzebe (22), L Shaw (25),
Midfielders - N Matic (32), P Pogba (26), Fred (26), A Pereira (23), J Lingard (26)
Strikers - R Lukaku (26), A Martial (24), M Rashford (21), T Chong (20),

This would be a 19 man squad needing 6 absolute class additions in the following positions ;

Elite Centre Back - options K Koulibaly, R Varane, H Maguire, Skrinier - £85M
International Left Back -
options K Tierney, B Chillwell, D Allaba - £40M
Midfield playmaker -
options T Kross, Tiago, C Ericcsen - £75M
BTB GS midfielder -
options Sergej Milinokovic Savic, D Ali, - £100M
Right Wing Striker -
options C Pullisic, L Bailey, D Costa, J Sancho, - £70M
Top quality Centre Forward -
options M Icardi, E Cavani, R Lewandowski, Benzema - £85M

I'm sure many of you can think of better fits for the club, my point is that it's a major job to move out maybe 8 or 9 players on good wages and bring in 5 or 6 but someone is finally going to have to do it!

I know this is purely hypothetical but this will be the most important job for the Director of Footbal, when we appoint one. He must balance the age of the squad perfectly and look at the weaknesses. We desperately need a world class Centre Back who can lead the defence and the team,a left footed right winger with blistering pace is also required and we will need an experienced Centre Forward to lead the team and teach Lukaku and Rashford what they should be doing. Yes it probably going to cost the club between 400 and 450m to become competitive again, although if we act quickly and sell the players who clearly don't want to be here, the cost will probably be nearer 200 to 250m net spend.

Todd

Assuming that a new Manager is in place for 2019-20 season and funds are not limitless with a £150M max Budget available, the squad would need some pretty major surgery if they are 6 or 7 places off of the Top 4. We would not have any European football this season so we could have a more streamlined squad of 25 maximum with 2 of them coming from Under 23's, we would probably need to bring 6 players in over January and Summer transfer window.

Keep at all Costs (14)

D De Gea, C Smalling, E Bailly, M Rashford, J Lingard, L Shaw, S Romero, L Grant, D Dalot, A Pereira, P Pogba (providing his Agent shuts up!), A Martial, Fred, R Lukaku

Wait and see based on performances (5)

A Herrera, M Feillani, N Matic, V Lindelof, A Young - we would probably keep 2 of these players. (Point of exercise Linderlof, Matic are kept, Herrera, young and Feillani Sold for 35M)

SOLD without hesitation for set fee (5)

A Sanchez - 60M, P Jones 15M, M Darmian 10M, M Rojo 20M, J Mata 20M, A Valencia Free Total sales 125M

Loaned out 1 year loan deals (4)

S McTominay, A Gomez, E Laird, A Barlow

Promoted from within (3)

T Chong, T Fosu-Mensah, A Tuanzebe

This would leave us with a squad without new signings of 19 players and a season of maybe 47 to 48 games max.

2019-20 Proposed Squad ; Age in brackets

Gk -
D De Gea(28), S Romero(32), L Grant(36)
Defenders D Dalot (20), T Fosu-Mensah (22), C Smalling (30), E Bailly (26), V Linderlof (25), A Tuanzebe (22), L Shaw (25),
Midfielders - N Matic (32), P Pogba (26), Fred (26), A Pereira (23), J Lingard (26)
Strikers - R Lukaku (26), A Martial (24), M Rashford (21), T Chong (20),

This would be a 19 man squad needing 6 absolute class additions in the following positions ;

Elite Centre Back - options K Koulibaly, R Varane, H Maguire, Skrinier - £85M
International Left Back -
options K Tierney, B Chillwell, D Allaba - £40M
Midfield playmaker -
options T Kross, Tiago, C Ericcsen - £75M
BTB GS midfielder -
options Sergej Milinokovic Savic, D Ali, - £100M
Right Wing Striker -
options C Pullisic, L Bailey, D Costa, J Sancho, - £70M
Top quality Centre Forward -
options M Icardi, E Cavani, R Lewandowski, Benzema - £85M

I'm sure many of you can think of better fits for the club, my point is that it's a major job to move out maybe 8 or 9 players on good wages and bring in 5 or 6 but someone is finally going to have to do it!

I know this is purely hypothetical but this will be the most important job for the Director of Footbal, when we appoint one. He must balance the age of the squad perfectly and look at the weaknesses. We desperately need a world class Centre Back who can lead the defence and the team,a left footed right winger with blistering pace is also required and we will need an experienced Centre Forward to lead the team and teach Lukaku and Rashford what they should be doing. Yes it probably going to cost the club between 400 and 450m to become competitive again, although if we act quickly and sell the players who clearly don't want to be here, the cost will probably be nearer 200 to 250m net spend.
60 million for Alexis? He'll be 30 in a few months and has been pretty poor since arriving. I'd be shocked if anyone was willing to pay 30 for him at this point.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
60 million for Alexis? He'll be 30 in a few months and has been pretty poor since arriving. I'd be shocked if anyone was willing to pay 30 for him at this point.
Considering his insane salary, you could consider yourselves lucky to even find some club willing to take him free of charge

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
De Gea, Dalot, Bailly, Shaw, Fred, Herrera, Perreira, Martial, Rashford for sure.
The first one I'ld sell would be Pogba followed by Lukaku.

billyboy777

Only keep players in bold.
Goalkeepers

David De Gea

Lee Grant
Sergio Romero
Joel Pereira

Defenders

Victor Lindelof
Eric Bailly
Phil Jones
Chris Smalling

Marcos Rojo
Ashley Young
Diogo Dalot
Luke Shaw
Antonio Valencia

Matteo Darmian
Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Axel Tuanzebe

Midfielders

Paul Pogba

Juan Mata
Jesse Lingard
Andreas Pereira (Great squad player)

Fred
Ander Herrera

Marouane Fellaini
Nemanja Matic
Scott McTominay

Forwards

Alexis Sanchez

Romelu Lukaku
Marcus Rashford

Anthony Martial

Jezpeza

To be brutally honest:

Retain

De Gea
Grant
Romero

Dalot
Bailly
Tuanzabe
TFM

Fred
Pogba
Matic
Lingard
Martial
Herrera
Pereira

Lukaku
Rashford

Give away/release/sell
Valencia
Darmian
Smalling
Jones
Rojo
Shaw
Young
Fellaini
Mata
Sanchez
Mctominay

I mean come on:
4 5 1
Gk

Damian jones smalling Shaw

Valencia fellaini mata mctominay young

Sanchez

That lot Wouldn’t stop in the league. And what’s left would struggle for top 4, which is what I expect for the outcome this season.

Think there are a calibre of young talented hungry players out there who we need to bid for - Savic, koulibaly, Icardi, sessegnon, telles and the like.

Really it requires a transfer strategy and a board willing to invest every penny that ffp allows for the next few transfer windows.

Doubt it will happen but when you look at that squad with whatever manager it’s not really going anywhere.

Woziak

His Buy out is 75M some fool will pay 60M for him probably Arsenal or Chelsea !

Decomposing In Paris

From the outside looking in I'm surprised by many of the comments. In my opinion the following players are worth keeping:

De Gea - one of the best in the world if not the best & I never hear of any moaning or controversy from him
Romero
Grant - both of these are very good

Shaw
Dalot - looks very promising
Bailly - will improve if given playing time

Pereira
Herrera - impresses me but needs quality alongside him
Fellaini - not overly gifted but always gives 100% & a great option on the bench
Lingard - young & worth keeping

Rashford - see Lingard

I wouldn't bother with any of the others. I feel sorry for Pogba as he is clearly unhappy & is obviously a quality player in the right environment. Lukaku is too cumbersome & misses too many chances. Sanchez is a joke & is stealing a living. Martial clearly doesn't want to stay. Fred is just not good enough, especially considering the money you paid for him. Matic is very slow - Chelsea weren't exactly gutted to lose him!

I am particularly surprised about Smalling. I honestly believe he is one of the most over-rated defenders in England & I don't even think he is Championship standard. His positioning is terrible (witness the West Ham game) & he is extremely clumsy. Put him in the team with Jones & you really have got problems! Rojo, Lindelof, Young, Valencia & Darmian would struggle to get into any other Premiership teams as well. I really do believe the defence is your biggest issue & the club should have shelled out for Boateng regardless of his age. After all, that wasn't an issue with Laurent Blanc!

Man Utd teams have been built on strong defences for many years. Players like Bruce, Pallister, Irwin, Parker, Ferdinand, Vidic, Stam, Evra, even Heinze, Brown & O'Shea. These are rock solid defenders who set a great foundation. There are no defenders in the squad that get anywhere near their level!

You can tell me to mind my own business if you like but I thought you may be interested in an external view.
I liked hearing a more neutral, less emotional perspective. I particularly agree with your comments about our defence. Smalling has been consistently fit for an extended period of time... but didn't even start the season as first choice. I think he needs to play RCB and he needs a quality partner... those two things just don't seem possible ATM.

Patrick220571

I would probably have a clear out of the defence and keep just about everyone else.

Out - Darmian, Jones, Rojo - none of them offer anything at all. Valencia would also go, as we need a top notch natural right back. I would also get rid of Mata, as he seems to have been a square peg in a round hole from the day he arrived.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. De Gea
  2. Romero
  3. Grant
  4. Pereira
  5. Valencia
  6. Dalot
  7. Darmian
  8. Fosu Mensah
  9. Shaw
  10. Young
  11. Smalling
  12. Lindelof
  13. Bailly
  14. Jones
  15. Rojo
  16. Tuanzebe
  17. Matic
  18. Fellaini
  19. McTominay
  20. Herrera
  21. Pogba
  22. Pereira
  23. Fred
  24. Mata
  25. Lingard
  26. Rashford
  27. Martial
  28. Sanchez
  29. Lukaku
Basically first team squad including the 3 players on loan (pereira, tfm and tuanzebe). Way too bloated but also trash right wing. In bold are players I would sell right away, whether it's to give others a bigger role or whatever else. Itallics are who can be loaned. Bring in a center back and right wing at the very least.

De Gea/Pereira
Valencia/Dalot ????/Bailly Smalling/Lindelof Shaw/Young
Matic/Herrera Pogba/Pereira Fred/Lingard
???/Rashford Lukaku Martial/Rashford
Hopefully everyone would improve with better coaching and 2 key pieces added. Would be also okay with replacing Pogba and Lukaku as I don't think Lukaku will ever be top tier (but you would want a world class player to replace him anyway), while Pogba probably isn't worth the hassle. This is the short term realistic view. After that, young, valencia, matic all will probably need to be replaced, including probably a 2nd center back.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
If I were the new manager, I'd have a close look at every player, and form my own opinion before I get started on a list with lay offs. Some Managers dud can be another ones key player.

Mickson

Barca and City wouldn't buy him but that's more a matter of style than quality in my opinion. I think Real would jump at the chance to buy him as an alternative/a replacement for Benzema personally.

The guy was the best out-and-out striker at the World Cup. He's quality, we're just not giving him, or any of our players, a platform to show it.
He scored two against Panama and two against Tunisia. Didn't score a goal against any decent team, and no goals when it mattered. I agree it's style of play, but he just isn't good enough either way.

Fosu-Mens

Dependent on how you play isn't?
Similar to how the NBA is progressing towards "balanced" players, the same can be said about strikers. Fairly good on everything. Lukaku is not.

Schmeichel=God

So this is my verdict.
I've given a position indicator to where I would play those staying at the club.
Where two have the same position, the first one is my first choice.

STAY

Goalkeepers - no change.
De Gea - Without him in recent seasons our club may have been irreparably ruined.
Romero - A quality backup who I'm surprised wishes to be one.
Grant - Looks extremely self assured and with very safe hands too.

Defenders - I do feel we need one top quality reinforcement here, an LCB.
RCB - Smalling - Is steady and generally unflappable
RCB - Jones - Is hungry, aggressive, has a partnership with Chris, and now has someone crazier than him...Bailly!
LCB - Rojo - Is aggressive and comfortable on the ball. Is the only left footer CB and we need one.
LB - Shaw - Has done very well and we should stick by him.
LB - Young - Has adjusted fantastically, is aggressive, more agile than Luke, a great option.
RB - Dalot - Glides with finesse, looks very promising, good technique. 1st choice RB for me.
RB - Bailly - Should be a G Nev type right back. Needs some confidence.
RB - Fosu Mensah - Needs a chance to prove himself. Replaces Valencia's slot in my side and offers utility overall.

Midfielders - Lots of work to do here. One top RCM, one each top RW & LW (left footed).
LCM - Matic - Is the best DMC I have seen in a long time. Is struggling with how poor the team is around him.
LCM - Fred - Not sure this guy was needed. Has some skill, but plenty wayward 'contributions' so far. Obviously needs time.
RCM - Herrera - His character is irreplaceable, can't have 25 baller instagramming primadonna types.
RCM - McTominay - Will be here after Herrera goes. Should learn from Matic and become a sitting midfielder. Let's give him time
AM - Pogba - Best midfielder in the world for my liking. Luxury player around whom a team must be built. Eric esq.
RW - Lingard - Red blood, great movement, technique, agility. Obvious 'stay'.
RW - Pereira - Tenacious, technique, but needs time to be integrated. Could be a younger Mata.

Strikers - One proven top class finisher needed. Needs quality technique whether an Aguero build or a Lewandowski build.
F9 - Sanchez - Along with Pogba this guy is the most creative we have. Play him higher where ball loss isn't so much a problem. Good character.
ST - Martial - I don't think he's that intelligent but he can contribute and is young. Needs developing and needs some support.
ST - Rashford - Is struggling as we are struggling. Would have thrived as part of a Fergi 442. Utd youth, has to stay, could improve.

GO
Defenders
Darmian - Too basic for me. Valencia is a safer bet.
Lindelof - Nothing too impressive. Jones & Bailly offer as much and more.
Valencia - Ummed and ahhh'd here, but with my wanting Bailly as an RB I couldn't keep Valencia on the wage bill.

Midfielders
Fellaini - Certainly gives an option, but I can't accept what he lacks in finesse, technique and build up play.
Mata - Is a very good player vision, shot technique, finesse, but I just feel we need someone faster with the same skillset. Sorry Juan.

Striker
Lukaku - ...I can't do it. It's Fellaini mark two. We need better movement, better technique, better ball protection.

JMack1234

So..I'd keep

Keepers
De Gea
Romero
Grant

The 'keeper department is pretty well stocked all in all

Defenders
Dalot
Smalling
Bailly
Shaw
Promote: Foshu-Mensah and Mitchell
Buy: two CBs

Midfield
Matic
Fred
Pogba
Pereira
Fellaini (don't shoot!)
McTominay

Attack
Alexis
Lukau
Martial
Rashford

Go:
Mata
Jones
Rojo
Young
Herrea
Valencia
Lindelof
Darmian

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
First of all I’d get rid of anybody who isn’t towing the line, even if it meant a drop in quality in the short term. Anybody acting like a prick with sun glasses or caught whispering to the press is out immediately.

Jezpeza

Has anyone spotted which players are out of contract at the end of the season?
According to transfermarkt;

Mata
Herrera
Jones
Smalling
Shaw
Darmian
Valencia
Young

Does anyone think the board aren’t convinced by mourinho and also couldn’t ship out that lot and are waiting til next summer to give someone a blank Cheque book and a clean wage bill? Might also explain the lack of real investment this summer gone as well

And on a separate note you’d expect those lot to be playing for a contract but obviously not!

Murray3007

Quite simple really would keep De Gea and Shaw based on this seasons performances, Dalot has looked promising in his couple of apperances and needs to start for me now, but really wouldn't be sad if any the rest left. Rashford at a push but more because hes a local lad not how hes performed this last 12 months.

Wheato

This team was banging in 4 goals a game at the start of last season. We were flying. Then we brought in Alexis in the January transfer window, and it just screwed up all of the momentum that we'd built up. Martial and Rashford were sharing the left side, but once Sanchez came they got hooked out of it, with only scraps of games here and there. Pogba saw his arse too, because Sanchez was brought in as the top earner at the club, so his ego took a kick in the nuts. The end result was that all the cohesion we'd built up was set on fire the day Alexis showed up. We still can't get a tune out of him 9 months later. So for those of you on here saying that we don't have the players, or the talent. In 2017, we won the league cup, Europa cup and were flying at the start of last season. All with these same players. What went wrong, what happened? Ed Woodward went and signed Sanchez. Then everything fell apart.

IRELANDUNITED

I don't even know anymore, it's very difficult to tell whether its the players or Mourinho that's at fault. The only players that I trust are giving 100% week in week out atm is De Gea and Shaw

Schmeichel=God

Has anyone spotted which players are out of contract at the end of the season?
According to transfermarkt;

Mata
Herrera
Jones
Smalling
Shaw
Darmian
Valencia
Young

Does anyone think the board aren’t convinced by mourinho and also couldn’t ship out that lot and are waiting til next summer to give someone a blank Cheque book and a clean wage bill? Might also explain the lack of real investment this summer gone as well

And on a separate note you’d expect those lot to be playing for a contract but obviously not!
Interesting...and a glimmer of hope also.

It may well be a sacrificial season. Test what Mourinho can actually do with a squad without going all Henry VIII on people, replacing them at the drop of a guillotine.

Wouldn't be surprised if they are talking with Zidane like they did Mourinho about his preliminary thoughts on the squad. Our wage bill has got us by the balls. Once a player comes here then proceeds to inevitably under perform we have no suitors for our discards. Therefore allowing this lot to run down their contracts at this troublesome time is probably a great idea to give us the opportunity to spring clean the place according to a new manager's wishes.

On that note of playing for a contract; well, I imagine of late that the majority of our squad would be quite happy to move on to another club if it wasn't for the money. It has been a bit of a ****show as perpetrated by Ed in recent years. It can't be fun. Yet for 7 of those on that list (Darmian excluded) I imagine their mentality is a fighters mentality and they in actual fact would be busting a gut to impress. Mata and Herrera however cannot get on the pitch to do so. Smalling, Jones, Shaw and Young generally busta blood vessel each time. Perhaps Valencia is just passed it, or shackled by Jose's instructions.

Interesting times ahead anyway. We'll certainly keep the media outlets in business a little longer yet!