You’re the new United manager, which players do you keep?

ToToMarshall

I was talking about this seriously with a friend earlier, say you took over at United before the next summer transfer window, who would you actually be keen to keep? There are so many players in our squad I actively want to leave, and even more that I’d be indifferent if they were to leave.

The biggest problem is, in our proper 1st team squad, we barely have any players who I’d say are genuinely irreplaceable. David De Gea in terms of ability, attitude, consistency, dedication to the club and status at the club is probably the only one who I think would be impossible to replace like for like. Nobody else at the club has given us what he has. I’d probably also argue that because of their roots at the club, guys like Rashford and Lingard have something irreplaceable about them, but ability-wise they could certainly be replaced if we’re honest.

If I took over, I think I’d want to keep De Gea, Lindelöf, Bailly, Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Smalling, Lingard, Pereira, Fred, Dalot, Romero, Shaw and Matic, and from the fringe/loan players I’d definitely want Gomes, Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe etc involved. But half of them I wouldn’t be devastated if they were to go.

The Phil Jones x Manchester United story just has to end now. Mata used to be a top footballer, but now he moves like he’s got rigor mortis, I don’t see what he offers anymore. Where even is Rojo, is he ever fit, I’m just bored of him, he’s always injured and when he isn’t he’s unreliable and bang-average. Young is crap, like monumentally crap. I’ve never rated Herrera, I’ve never been sure what he’s good at, and I’ve come to the conclusion he’s not actually good at anything. Valencia is beyond finished, he offers nothing. Fellaini symbolises so much of what’s been wrong about the club over the past half a decade, I don’t like making him a scapegoat - I just don’t want him at the club. Darmian the invisible man, where is he, what is he, what is he doing, does he even exist? I can’t remember.

We’re Manchester United, and we can play an XI that looks something like this in a serious football match:

————————XXXXX
Valencia——Jones——Rojo——Darmian
————--Herrera—-—XXXXX
Mata——————Fellaini————Young
————————-XXXXX

Get all of those gone, promote from within with the you get players where appropriate, and buy well where it strengthens us and if the players suit us moving forward.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
For differing reasons I would be reluctant to see any of De Gea, Romero, Dalot, Bailly, Shaw, Matic, Fred, Lingard, Rashford and Lukaku go, albeit some of those players obviously wouldn't suit certain managers' style, in which case I'd understand it.

Beyond that the sale of any other player would leave me somewhere between indifferent and delighted.

spwd

Probably the same as you listed apart from lindelof, hes shite and id keep Herrera because he understands what it means to play for us.

ToToMarshall

For differing reasons I would be reluctant to see any of De Gea, Romero, Dalot, Bailly, Shaw, Matic, Fred, Lingard, Rashford and Lukaku go, albeit some of those players obviously wouldn't suit certain managers' style, in which case I'd understand it.

Beyond that the sale of any other player would leave me somewhere between indifferent and delighted.
I’m exactly the same, how can we have a squad of 20odd players worth however many hundreds of millions of pounds, and care so little about whether they stay or not?? It’s baffling.

ToToMarshall

Probably the same as you listed apart from lindelof, hes shite!
He’s in the “I’d prefer him to stay but I wouldn’t really care if he left” category for me. I think in a better structured, possession-based system he may look better and would be worth trying for a year under a new manager.

NotQuiteManc

I would keep the indispensible DDG first and foremost, and a few of the senior players who played under all the different managers like Young as backup. He may not be able to keep up for the full season but the experience might be vital. Lukaku will have to fight for his place with a player such as Icardi who may not be a Lewandowski in term of overall abilities but boy can he finish. Something different from what on offer at the moment.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Stay
Goalkeepers

De Gea - Best keeper in the world.
Romero - Great backup.
Grant - Good third choice.

Defenders
Bailly - Can become one of the worlds best.
Smalling - Good backup.
Shaw - Still a lot of potential.
Dalot - Just came so give him a chance.

Midfielders
Pogba - World class if he puts his mind to it.
Fred - Just came so give him a chance.
Matic - Fantastic player.
Mctominay - Good backup.

Forwards
Rashford - Still a lot of potential.
Martial - Can become a special player.

Go
Defenders

Jones - Not good enough. Injured all the time and always has an error in him.
Darmian - Not good enough.
Young - Past it.
Valencia - Past it.
Lindelof - Not good enough for the Premier League.
Rojo - Not good enough.

Midfielders
Fellaini - Not good enough.
Mata - Past it.
Herrera - Not good enough.

Forwards
Lingard - Would have left years ago if Ferguson was still in charge.
Lukaku - Everton/Watford level at best.

Reactions: Sultan

Devil may care

The only reason I don't have Young on the list of exits is he's still pretty fit and can cover both fullbacks, you can't change everting at once. I'd also not be fussed if Matic and Herrera left but you have to consider squad depth. Sanchez is another I think looks spent, but he'll take time to shift due to his wages.

So I'd keep everyone bar the ones below.

Darmian
Jones
Rojo
Valencia
Fellaini
Mata

Fluctuation0161

De Gea

Shaw (I'd give him a chance)

Dalot (To see how he develops)

Pogba (if attitude is right and Raiola shuts up)

Fred (has potential)

Matic (just as a stop gap in season 1 until a better reinforcement is found)

Fellaini (had demonstrated good attitude- squad player)

Lukaku (as a sub, second striker or winger. If no improvement he's out. Ruthless.)

I'd keep the following to see if they develop or can at least be squad players.
Martial
Rashford
Pereira
Bailly

beingshe7don

Stay
Goalkeepers

De Gea - Best keeper in the world.
Romero - Great backup.
Grant - Good third choice.

Defenders
Bailly - Can become one of the worlds best.
Smalling - Good backup.
Shaw - Still a lot of potential.
Dalot - Just came so give him a chance.

Midfielders
Pogba - World class if he puts his mind to it.
Fred - Just came so give him a chance.
Matic - Fantastic player.
Mctominay - Good backup.

Forwards
Rashford - Still a lot of potential.
Martial - Can become a special player.

Go
Defenders

Jones - Not good enough. Injured all the time and always has an error in him.
Darmian - Not good enough.
Young - Past it.
Valencia - Past it.
Lindelof - Not good enough for the Premier League.
Rojo - Not good enough.

Midfielders
Fellaini - Not good enough.
Mata - Past it.
Herrera - Not good enough.

Forwards
Lingard - Would have left years ago if Ferguson was still in charge.
Lukaku - Everton/Watford level at best.
I agree with almost everything...

McTominay is NOT United Quality... It's great how Mourinho has managed to get everyone into believing how great McTominay is.... He's average.... has no in-game intelligence. All he's got going for him is that he's 6'4 and does exactly what Mourinho wants him to do... He's keeping Andreas Pereira out of the team which is also crappy.

Herrera understands what it means to play for the club... He's not a Thiago or Pogba or Fred but he's a great backup. Matic is not a fantastic player. He should not be featuring in the starting 11. He's good when it comes off the bench.... he's one of the 3 reaLusons why our midfield moves like a tortoise.

I wouldn't be hasty to get rid of Lindelof... The guy played well for Benfica and he plays well for Sweden. I think if he didn't have the shackles of Mourinho on him, he would perform a lot better.

ErranMorad

I don't think the squad is as bad as it is made to look at this moment. Here will be my changes:

(1) GK's - Keep all of them.
(2) FB's - Add a back up LB. Use Fosu and Dalot as RB options. Keep one of Valencia and Young. Get rid of Darmian.
(3) CB's - Get rid of two from Rojo, Jones, Lindelof and Bailly. Add a WC player. Use Tuanzebe as 5th choice.
(4) CM - Upgrade Matic with Neves or Frankie De Jong. Give Herrera a new two year contract. Get rid of Fellaini.
(5) Attack - Get rid of Mata. Add an exciting right winger or a creative player who can play on the right and through the middle. Use Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial and Rashford in a two striker formation.

All in all the additions we need, imo, are a back up LB, A WC center back, A CM & an attacking player. Not too hard to acquire in the next transfer window. The new manager can take a call on upgrading Lukaku in 2019-2020.

99withaflake

If a new manager came in soon, I'd give everyone the rest of the season to prove themselves, and the youngsters an opportunity to develop.

Tell everyone that they're playing for their future at the club.

The players I just wouldn't see a future for within the squad are:

Valencia
Lindelof
Jones
Darmian
Young
Rojo
Mata
Herrera

It's shame with Mata and Herrera because I genuinely think they care about the club, but they're not good enough as senior players.

You can't replace half the squad in a couple of windows, and although a lot of players aren't good enough to be consistent starters, we still need options on the bench and time to make changes.

spwd

He’s in the “I’d prefer him to stay but I wouldn’t really care if he left” category for me. I think in a better structured, possession-based system he may look better and would be worth trying for a year under a new manager.

Nah, hes not shown anything decent since he came here unlike Bailly who is a rough diamond and I believe he will get better.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Stay:
GK:
All

Defenders:
Smalling
Bailly
Shaw
Dalot
Lindelof - backup

Midfielders:
Pogba
Fellaini - backup hoofball stuff
Fred
Matic

Forwards:
Sanchez - still think he has it in him and will perform better under a new manager
Martial
Rashford
Lingard - fantastic backup
Lukaku - His Belgium performances say that he can be good under fitting tactics

SpyLuke10

Everyone except:

Jones - mistake prone and injury prone.
Darmian - crap player.
Rojo - injury prone.
McTominay - his level is about derby county level at this point in time, certainly not United level.
Sanchez - on too much wages, his presence reduces martial and rashford's minutes, too wasteful, turning 30 soon.

Shamshi

Stay
Goalkeepers

De Gea
Romero
Grant

Defenders

Rojo
Smalling
Shaw
Dalot

Midfielders

Pogba
Fred
Matic
Pereira

Forwards

Lingard
Martial

Go
Defenders

Bailly
Jones
Darmian
Young
Valencia
Lindelof

Midfielders

Fellaini
Mctominay
Herrera
Mata

Forwards

Lukaku
Rashford
Sanchez

Last edited:

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
As a Chelsea fan, I respect Matic. But he split opinions a lot in his last year. He was benched for a lot of games too. I am surprised that not many Man Utd fans think that his lack of mobility is a handicap if you want to build a attacking team with super quick transitions.

Waynne

My obvious picks to go first would be:
Valencia - Cant sit with a fullback who is incapable of doing the basics like putting in a proper cross

Jones - Never fit to play and even If he is, he has errors in his game at this level it's inexcusable.

Lukaku - Big man, physically imposing but doesn't use any of that to bully defenders like Costa did for Chelsea. Misses sitters. Mentaly fragile? Needs to go.

Robbyb03

Unfortunately, it really depends on how much the board would allow you to spend. If I’m on able to spend what I get from current players plus say 10-20% more that what is being sold or not renewed, then this is what I’m going to do with the squad. I’m guessing we could get roughly £150M from the sale of Pogba, Romero, and Lingard plus the board granting me £15-30M in additional funds for a total of £165-180M which isn’t unrealistic in today’s market. So I’d purchase Nabil Fekir (£50-55M), Matthijs de Ligt (£45-50M), Djibril Sidibe (£45-50M), and Lucas Tousart (£30-35M).

GK:
De Gea- staying
Romero- sold to free up cash
Grant- staying
J. Pereira- staying

DEF:
Young- not renewed
Lindelof- staying
Bailly- staying
Jones- not renewed
Smalling- renewed
Rojo- renewed
Dalot- staying
Shaw- staying
Valencia- not renewed
Darmian- not renewed

MID:
Pogba- sold to free up cash
Mata- not renewed
Lingard- sold to free up cash
A. Pereira- staying
Fred- staying
Herrera- not renewed
Fellaini- staying
Matic- staying
McTominay- staying

FWD:
Sanchez- staying (no one will pay wages)
Lukaku- staying
Rashford- staying
Martial- staying

With no purchases:
4-3-3
De Gea
Dalot Bailly Smalling Shaw
Matic
A. Pereira Fred
Sanchez Lukaku Martial

Bench:
J. Pereira
Fosu-Mensah
Lindelof
Rojo
Fellaini
McTominay
Rashford

With purchases:
4-3-3
De Gea
Sidibe de Ligt Bailly Shaw
Tousart
Fekir Fred
Sanchez Lukaku Martial

Bench:
J. Pereira
Dalot
Smalling
Fellaini
Matic
A. Pereira
Rashford

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd rather list the players I'd sell.

Defence:
Jones
Lindelof
Young
(One of Jones/Lindelof stays if we don't get a quality CB)

Midfield:
Herrera - only if we can find the playmaker we need. Otherwise keep as I think a better manager will use him well.
Fellaini - I'd rather start someone better and give the rotational gametime to the likes of Periera. But I wouldn't be bothered if he stayed.

Attack:
Mata - His time is up IMO.
Sanchez - Well past his best and a drain on our resources. Get a proper RW in.

sdb4884

Out of all our centre backs i'd reluctantly keep Jones as he can play a couple of positions and Bailly as he's the best of the bad lot. The rest can go. I think we can loan Sanchez out and pay at least half his wages. I would have kept Fosu-Mensah and Tuzuanbe. Mata is past his best which was clearly indicated by him not being selected for the World Cup. Young and Fellaini also shouldn't be given new contracts.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Keep DDG, Shaw.

Sell all others.

Not practical I know but we only have two players. I can’t see any of the rest of our squad making the City or Liverpool first eleven.

Brigate Rosse

To be blunt given the mentality of the squad under three successive managers there's not a single player who I'd be too upset at getting rid of. Even De Gea. They're all contaminated with that mindset now. I'd quite like to get rid of the entire lot of them a start afresh

Obviously will never, and should never, happen. But that's how I feel these days.

Reactions: Sultan

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is amazing how much money we can get for players who we don't need and plus how much money we can save on all those wages.
Stay:
Gk- De gea, Romero
Defenders- Bailly, Dalot, Shaw, Young( he can be useful on two positions). I would keep Smalling only if we can't get big fee for him and he would be backup option.
Midfielders- i would keep them all except Mctominay. I think that we have excellent( yes, excellent) midfield in terms of players quality.
Attack- Martial, Rashford, Alexis and Lukaku

Sell- Rojo, Lindelof, Jones, Valencia, Smalling(only one for whom i have certain doubts), Lingard, Mata, Mctominay. It is aprox. 120 mil euros in fees and 30-40(?) in wages. Enough to cover fees and wages for two world class defenders.

Himannv

Stay
Goalkeepers

De Gea
Romero
Grant

Defenders

Lindelof
Rojo
Smalling
Shaw
Dalot
Bailly
Young
Valencia

Midfielders

Fred
Matic
Pereira
Herrera
Fellaini
Mata

Forwards

Lingard
Martial
Lukaku
Rashford
Sanchez

Go
Defenders

Jones - Just too injury prone to be relied upon.
Darmian - Not really what we need from an attacking FB POV.

Midfielders

Pogba - Meh, no way he should be here after constantly undermining the manager and the club.
McTominay - I feel he isn't really good enough to be anything more than a squad player here. Low ceiling.

Formation
4-2-3-1

--------------De Gea
Dalot---Smalling---Lindelof---Shaw
-----------Matic---Fred
Rashford-----Sanchez-----Martial
--------------Lukaku

Signings
The Pogba money gives me the opportunity to go out there and get a top CB + CM. Pereira gets games as an AM as does Lingard. I'd eventually look for a Lukaku upgrade if possible.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
DDG

Dalot Smalling Lindeloff/Bailly Shaw

Fred Matic Andreas/Fellaini (depending on the opposition)

Sanchez (RW) Lukaku Martial

Get dablord and his unprofessionalism out of the side, harmonize the squad once again.

Allow Dalot to overlap with Sanchez, same with Shaw and Martial

Against good opposition, put Fellaini instead of Andreas. Have Matic and Fellaini cover the defense when the full backs push up.

Emphasis on width, there's too much congestion in the middle as it is.
It's easier to do the other version, players I would get rid of:

Pogba
Jones
Rojo
Mata
Darmian

Get a great CB and put Lindeloff/Bailly as 3rd and 4th choice

Get a decent attack minded midfielder to rotste with Andreas/Lingard

Get a right winger that will actually hug the touchline and whip in a decent cross after beating his man.

Marcelinho87

Pogba has not been a disruption under any other manager even under Mino so I suspect his behaviour now is partly due to Mourinho and partly fabricated to cause disruption in our squad.

The British press and pundits seem to have an issue with Pogba since the day we signed him.

So he would have to be kept.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I'm surprised so many are saying Fellaini. For the first two years I would have driven him to the airport myself, but recently he is proving to be one of our better players albeit more as a backup option. Still that in itself says something about how far we've fallen.

For me the only indispensable is De Gea and based on the very early promise and killer cross Dalot.

After that there are a lot of players who need trialling in different styles and formations.

For example Rashford, Martial and Lukaku I think could all be very good in a two up front option. If we did that Sanchez might still be useful in a left winger position. We would need a new right winger.

Arguably would also need a top class midfielder alongside Pogba, someone like Savic. RB&LB would need upgrading interchanging with Shaw and Dalot. Centre backs would both need to be very good, thus Smalling/ Bailly backup. Lindelof might need more games even to be backup and I'm not sure if we can afford to do that

Outside of the above it's mostly time to go!

The problem about the above is I'm not sure 4-4-2 will even work any more and if that's the case I'm not sure Lukaku/Rashford/Martial can be our only strikers. They have proven useful in the left of a three though. If that's the case Sanchez is probably another odd man out.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Most of our players are fine to keep. Just some of the lower squad players need to be sold and some of our current first teamers drop down into the squad player role.

Jones, Rojo and likely Lindelof (although I'd see how he goes over the rest of this season) are sold. Bring in a top central defender to partner Smalling, or two top central defenders and Smalling drop down to first choice sub for as long as he's happy to stay in that role.
Darmian and Mata sold.

Off the top of my head they are the only ones who need to be sold. Everyone else I'm happy with seeing how they go under another manager (and dropping back into just a squad role), although a couple of others may make way depending on what new players are bought.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'd only axe Grant, Darmian, Jones, Rojo, and maybe Mata & Young straight away if replacements were available.

FingersLily

From the outside looking in I'm surprised by many of the comments. In my opinion the following players are worth keeping:

De Gea - one of the best in the world if not the best & I never hear of any moaning or controversy from him
Romero
Grant - both of these are very good

Shaw
Dalot - looks very promising
Bailly - will improve if given playing time

Pereira
Herrera - impresses me but needs quality alongside him
Fellaini - not overly gifted but always gives 100% & a great option on the bench
Lingard - young & worth keeping

Rashford - see Lingard

I wouldn't bother with any of the others. I feel sorry for Pogba as he is clearly unhappy & is obviously a quality player in the right environment. Lukaku is too cumbersome & misses too many chances. Sanchez is a joke & is stealing a living. Martial clearly doesn't want to stay. Fred is just not good enough, especially considering the money you paid for him. Matic is very slow - Chelsea weren't exactly gutted to lose him!

I am particularly surprised about Smalling. I honestly believe he is one of the most over-rated defenders in England & I don't even think he is Championship standard. His positioning is terrible (witness the West Ham game) & he is extremely clumsy. Put him in the team with Jones & you really have got problems! Rojo, Lindelof, Young, Valencia & Darmian would struggle to get into any other Premiership teams as well. I really do believe the defence is your biggest issue & the club should have shelled out for Boateng regardless of his age. After all, that wasn't an issue with Laurent Blanc!

Man Utd teams have been built on strong defences for many years. Players like Bruce, Pallister, Irwin, Parker, Ferdinand, Vidic, Stam, Evra, even Heinze, Brown & O'Shea. These are rock solid defenders who set a great foundation. There are no defenders in the squad that get anywhere near their level!

You can tell me to mind my own business if you like but I thought you may be interested in an external view.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
-----------------De Gea--------------------
Dalot----Smalling---New Signing---Shaw
-----Fred-----New Signing-----Pogba-------
New Signing---Lukaku----Rashford

Backups:
Romero
Grant
Valencia
Bailly
Fosu Mensah
Herrera
Fellaini
Perreira
Lingard
Martial

New Signings:
2 CB - Skriniar, Maguire
2 Midfielders - De Jong, Ruben Neves
1 RW - Zaha

Sold:
Young
Mata
Sanchez
Lindelof
Jones

StretfordEnd95

Can name more to let go:

Valencia
Jones
Smalling
Young
Fellaini
Lingard
Sanchez
Darmian
Herrera
Pogba (his petulance outweighs his talent)
Mata

Also to say Lingard is young and worth keeping, he's 25. 25. Rashford is young, Lingard is not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_toad

Keep

Dave, Dalot, Shaw, Smalling, Young, Fred, Matic, Martial, Jesse, Lukaku, Rashford, Bailly, Periera, Romero. Got a decent start to building a better squad. Be looking for right winger and a central defender and a few additions for competition in the midfield.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I agree with almost everything...

McTominay is NOT United Quality... It's great how Mourinho has managed to get everyone into believing how great McTominay is.... He's average.... has no in-game intelligence. All he's got going for him is that he's 6'4 and does exactly what Mourinho wants him to do... He's keeping Andreas Pereira out of the team which is also crappy.

Herrera understands what it means to play for the club... He's not a Thiago or Pogba or Fred but he's a great backup. Matic is not a fantastic player. He should not be featuring in the starting 11. He's good when it comes off the bench.... he's one of the 3 reaLusons why our midfield moves like a tortoise.

I wouldn't be hasty to get rid of Lindelof... The guy played well for Benfica and he plays well for Sweden. I think if he didn't have the shackles of Mourinho on him, he would perform a lot better.
Interesting word choice because he certainly seems like he’s wearing them when he’s trying to jump for a header. Nothing player, bang average at everything. We got robbed

IAmAWinner

I'd keep De Gea, Romero, Smalling, Bailly, Shaw, Dalot, Young(still like him as a back up), Fred, Pogba, Fellaini(solid back up), Matic(for one season at least), Pereira, Sanchez(give him final chance under a more attacking manager), Lukaku, Martial, Rashford and maybe Lingard at a push.

Sell all the others starting with the worst United player I have ever seen, Lindelöf. Jones can't be trusted and injury ruined Rojo. McTominay is garbage. Mata a nothing player. Valencia past it. Herrera is done, because our idiot managers turned a good attacking playmaker into a robotic man marking defensive crap.