You are Ed Woodward. What do you do?

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Realistically he isn't going to remove himself from his job, and I don't think the Glazer's ever will either. So what would be your plan/strategy to get the club back challenging at the top of the league again?

Wonder why I’m getting so much slack when I’ve allowed the past 4 managers to spend £900m in the past 6 years.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Set my head on fire and jump off a bridge.

Denis79

*19 points off first
**while finishing 6th in the league
We're 15 off first after 8 games now, think we will reduce that deficite? I'm guessing we'll double that before the end of the season.

POF

They don't want to challenge. It would make no financial sense to do so. It would take half a billion at least and even then there is no guarantee and even then what you get for winning won't return your half a billion. If you win the premier and champions league then what's that 100 mill prize money? They just need to make sure the fans don't riot by chucking them titbits every now and again and keep the financial business side of things going well.
Of course. That's why they've spent so much money on transfers in the last 6 years. It was a cunning plan all along to waste £600m and completely tank the value of the shares.

Doing anything else makes no financial sense.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
We're 15 off first after 8 games now, think we will reduce that deficite? I'm guessing we'll double that before the end of the season.
No, and Solskjaer clearly isn't right for the job, but it's frustrating the amount of people who laud Mourinho's "achievements" with us while ignoring the wider context of those seasons, and of course completely disregard his final (half) season.

Denis79

No, and Solskjaer clearly isn't right for the job, but it's frustrating the amount of people who laud Mourinho's "achievements" with us while ignoring the wider context of those seasons, and of course completely disregard his final (half) season.
Mourinho is gone and rightly so, Ole is way over his head I'm sorry to say, I really wanted him to do well here. Grim times when Mourinhos tenure looks excellent compared to now...

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Hold my nerve, stick with Ole and back him in January but only buy players that will want to be at Manchester United and aren’t moving purely for the money.
Haaland and Dier in January with Bale on loan.
Then buy sancho next summer and a replacement for Pogba (possibly Maddison or get Ødegaard as part of the deal).

SungSam7

Take a picture of the scoreboard after this humiliating defeat and keep it in my office as a reminder that the club must never again sink to such a low.
United have suffered more embarrassing defeats than what we saw today. Should display the league table on the wall instead.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Thankfully we’ll never know. But doesn’t change the fact that he’s been our most successful manager since SAF.
It's a hollow achievement and utterly pointless in any debate about our current situation though.

He was terrible and needed to go.

POF

The club desperately needs an identity and a long term structure to implement it. If Woodward isn't capable or willing to implement that, the club needs to find someone who will.

It doesn't matter how good the team is on the commercial side of the business. Sitting in midtable and out of Europe will put a massive hole in what they can do.

Sir Scott McToMinay

It took the Sheikh less than 4 years to win the PL with City.
Look where we are 6 years after the gaffer stepped down, our rebuild has been diabolical and we are regressing.
How in the absolute feck is this guy still in the job?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
sign Zaha or Ryan Fraser in January if possible.

Last edited:

momo83

Massive Snowflake
It's a hollow achievement and utterly pointless in any debate about our current situation though.

He was terrible and needed to go.
Never said he didn’t deserve to go due to the fallout with players. But talk of “hollow achievement” is none sense. He won the Europa League and qualified for the CL, hows that a hollow achievement? The following season he finished second and qualified for the CL, did better then Klopp and Poch that year.

A hollow achievement is beating PSG, only to then not qualify for the CL.

passing-wind

Sack Ole, get a DOF appoint a credible manager who has a vision and philosophy. Notice the key word is credible, not a relegation reject with nothing else to prove.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Sack Ole, get a DOF appoint a credible manager who has a vision and philosophy. Notice the key word is credible, not a relegation reject with nothing else to prove.
That would either make Ed admit he was wrong or admit that the Glazers were wrong by not appointing a DoF straight after SAF left.

Tarrou

the obvious play now is wait/hope for Poch to get fired and then make a move for him

no other viable options are going to be available mid-season

Ed won't do anything though, I expect

RedDevil@84

Give myself a pay rise and dont care a feck about the club. My bosses don't care anyways.

MaroonDevil

Nothing!
As long as Glazers are happy with the returns. Woodward is doing a great jobs. Who cares! Woodward does not need to care about anything. United fans still go to the game no matter what. Woodward will be happy.

Will Singh

Lots of cocaine and lots of hookers. Seriously the guy needs to resign I don't get why posters here want him to employ a DOF when he's fecked up the last 4 managers he's bought in, why trust him to bring in a DOF?

SAFMUTD

Go all in to get VDS as DOF and then get completely away from any sport related decision.

Jibbs

The only good thing woodward can do now is to resign.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Considering United need a near complete reboot with regard to the way we operate and think about things...and not just minor cosmetic change, I'd offer Ajax £200 million for the duo of Overmars (Director of Football) and Ten Hag (Head Coach), who appear to have a good understanding since their Go Ahead Eagles days (it's very important for the DoF/Sporting Director and the manager to see football in the same way). Seems like a lot but actually isn't in an era where a single top, top player could cost as much. United's identity has been almost entirely stripped away in recent years — to a point where we look like a decaying, gormless husk — and it might actually be the perfect time to combine United's old principles with a little but of Ajax's (since the institutions have a lot in common) to kick-start a revolution — which didn't hurt clubs like Barcelona through Cruyff and Michels, or City via Guardiola: a culé but in no small part a manifestation of Cruyff's ideology and derives a lot of his fundamentals from the original Dutch source.

Overmars isn't perfect because he made some mistakes in the early parts of his Ajax career, but he has experience as technical board member from his Go Ahead Eagles days and youth coaching experience at Ajax, and would be worth his weight in gold because he seems bright and has evidenced a nose for shrewd acquisitions in the mercato (Frenkie de Jong for peanuts, Nicolás Tagliafico for £4 million, Hakim Ziyech for £10 million, André Onana for free, Dusan Tadić for £11 million, David Neres for £10 million, Lisandro Martínez for £6 million...all of them were bargains and could start at a lot of top teams), and Ten Hag would materialize the plan on the training ground (or the matchday pitch). Let them device a comprehensive strategy for the club over the medium to long term, back them sufficiently using United's vast resources, streamline and consolidate the scouting setup so there aren't a lot of cooks to spoil the broth, employ youth coaches that can mold the players for Ten Hag's style of football, and most importantly: STFU and keep my nose out of their business because I haven't got a clue.
Call Van Der Sar. Offer him the DOF job.
Edwin is more David Gill and less Michael Zorc, though...he has been club CEO since the departure of Dolf Collee, before that he was commercial director and the marketing department chief — while he makes football decisions, he isn't involved in the real day-to-day nitty gritty and will have a considerable overlap with Woodward if we compare their responsibilities at current clubs.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/edwin-van-der-sar/profil/trainer/26781