You are Ed Woodward. What do you do?

Zed 101

Hang my fat, round head in shame (then count my millions and forget about it after all he made a record profit last season, that is his bottom line)

UpWithRivers

Of course. That's why they've spent so much money on transfers in the last 6 years. It was a cunning plan all along to waste £600m and completely tank the value of the shares.

Doing anything else makes no financial sense.
The dont want to tank the shares. They want to do well obviously but finance over football. Im not blaming them, they are business men not supporters. If they were serious about wanting trophies then they would just keep throwing money at it. Ala PSG, Real Madrid, Barca etc. Another 500, 700, 800 god knows what it would take. Or sell out to an Oil Baron. The questions was what would the Glazers do - and my answer was finance first. There is no way they can afford to win trophies except by fluke ala Leicester and Liverpool who took 20 years or whatever it is now. That cant be their priority. First priority is to keep the club finances healthy - they have done that. Second is to establish a goodish team- thats what the 600 mill should have bought. If that team turned out world beaters then that was a bonus. Not a priority. If they could figure out how to get us consistently fourth they would take that over spending another 200, 300 plus mill to challenge.

LARulz

People saying resign :lol: like feck would you. The guy is, despite people's feelings, in a safe spot. He brings in money and is Glazer's go to. He gets paid millions. But of course, he should give that up....

POF

The dont want to tank the shares. They want to do well obviously but finance over football. Im not blaming them, they are business men not supporters. If they were serious about wanting trophies then they would just keep throwing money at it. Ala PSG, Real Madrid, Barca etc. Another 500, 700, 800 god knows what it would take. Or sell out to an Oil Baron. The questions was what would the Glazers do - and my answer was finance first. There is no way they can afford to win trophies except by fluke ala Leicester and Liverpool who took 20 years or whatever it is now. That cant be their priority. First priority is to keep the club finances healthy - they have done that. Second is to establish a goodish team- thats what the 600 mill should have bought. If that team turned out world beaters then that was a bonus. Not a priority. If they could figure out how to get us consistently fourth they would take that over spending another 200, 300 plus mill to challenge.
What you are saying has been echoed by many people on here and is absolute tripe. They want to do well . . . . . but not that well. They want to spend money . . . . . but not that much money. They want to spend enough to finish 4th every season because that's not too expensive but finishing 1st is. It is one of the stupidest theories I have ever heard.

The Glazers own the club and the more it is worth the better it is for them. They're not trying to hoodwink the fans and deliberately be unsuccessful. It's like someone deliberately only spending money on doing up the outside of their house to impress the neighbours, while losing half the value of the property by letting it go to rack and ruin inside. Apparently, it makes total financial sense and they've fooled those gullible neighbours!!!

You don't need to spend crazy money to be successful. This version of United could spend £700bn a season and still be unsuccessful because the approach to transfers is scattergun and lacking any kind of plan. Over the last 6 years they've flipped and flopped over type of player, level of experience, attributes etc because there is no consistent plan and no style of play.

The Glazers and Woodward inherited a club run in a certain way that was extremely successful due to one man. Now he has left, that approach doesn't work and they haven't got the expertise to do it another way.

They are trying their best to be successful. They are just utterly clueless.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Never said he didn’t deserve to go due to the fallout with players. But talk of “hollow achievement” is none sense. He won the Europa League and qualified for the CL, hows that a hollow achievement? The following season he finished second and qualified for the CL, did better then Klopp and Poch that year.

A hollow achievement is beating PSG, only to then not qualify for the CL.
How is it not hollow to "achieve" CL qualification, only to get knocked out by a poor Sevilla side with a whimper, and basically give up on the knockouts as soon as the draw was made the season after?

Once again, you're making pointless comparisons. He did better than Klopp with his CL qualification in 2017/18? They contested the final for crying out loud! What good is CL qualification if your efforts in the competition are minimal?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
If I was Woodward I'd be stood in front of a mirror, dribbling and smug wanking my tiny little weapon at how great I am and how pretty my chinless slaphead is, moaning my own name, then I'd leak some news about how close we are to a dof, and how we will have 18 trillion pounds to spend in January, and what a financial genius I'm, while conveniently forgetting I'm a massive failure, with a face only a fist could love and the personality of a burning orphanage and the charisma of a plain slice of Tesco value white bread.

AneRu

They don't want to challenge. It would make no financial sense to do so. It would take half a billion at least and even then there is no guarantee and even then what you get for winning won't return your half a billion. If you win the premier and champions league then what's that 100 mill prize money? They just need to make sure the fans don't riot by chucking them titbits every now and again and keep the financial business side of things going well.
That doesn't make sense at all because without appearing to challenge you don't get the biggest sponsorship deals and you also miss out on TV rights for CL etc. The sweet spot is a team that has the ability to consistently finish third and reach the CL quarters or semis but once you are good enough for that you are already challenging by default. The problem is that we haven't progressed over the last 6 years despite spending £900m on players.

Woodward, on the other hand, just needs to implement a structure. Bring a DOF, a talent spotter and a transfer negotiator in. Give them the remainder of the season to plan for the next move. You would be surprised what one or two players can do to a side, Liverpool were a laughing stock for years until they signed Suarez and within a couple of years they were challenging whilst his and Coutinho sales brought them funds that built this team.

If we have an elite forward at the top of his game you will see players like Rashford/Greenwood transform because the pressure will be taken away. Now the responsibility for getting goals seems to be weighing down Rashford because as much as he isn't Ronaldo MKll he isn't as bad as this current run suggests. Imo if we get three players, two forwards and a midfielder, fuse them with young upcoming players and the few good ones we have this team will move a few levels up.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Appoint one of the best DoF’s out there, with a proven track record and a good vision for the club. Give him full control and autonomy. He will still ultimately report to the CEO/Board for accountability.

Appoint an interim manager (like Wenger) or someone the DoF has in mind (depending on who’s available or appointed first - interim manager or DoF). Work towards a permanent summer appointment.

ExSalfordRed

Step aside and deal with the commercial side of things and hire a top class DoF

Last edited by a moderator:

Ander herrera the warrior

Get 2 signings in January. Work for the transfer from today. We got 3 correct signings in the summer. Follow the same style, this time one striker and one midfielder. Give Ole time till the end of the season.

DRM

Leave Manchester United and go back to banking or wherever the feck he came from

GazTheLegend

I would sell the club. Seriously.

We are the footballing equivalent of Thomas cook right now

ManuMou

They don't want to challenge. It would make no financial sense to do so. It would take half a billion at least and even then there is no guarantee and even then what you get for winning won't return your half a billion. If you win the premier and champions league then what's that 100 mill prize money? They just need to make sure the fans don't riot by chucking them titbits every now and again and keep the financial business side of things going well.

This makes a lot of sense.

Ed out please

romufc

Simple.

Sign Lingard on a 5 year deal

Get another commercial signing

Only way to lift the mood.

More Importantly, this is how Woodward roles.

He does not care about Manchester United as a football club.

Mark Pawelek

There's a phrase used in business - snout in the trough. When I've heard it said of people, it meant you work for years to get to the top. Once you're at the top you take advantage by manipulating pay and conditions. Getting other people to award you bonuses, pensions, and pay-rises. You can't get these benefits unless you're at the top. People at the top, don't concede authority because shared authority makes one less important for the company. With most public companies the shareholders will stop a bad or weak CEO by sacking. But Glazers only see the bottom line - profits and good accounts. It may take a few years of sporting mediocrity for profits to be really hurt. So strap yourself in. Get ready for the long haul. They will not sack him, nor force his to share control over United's playing staff.

grahamo

Resign, apologise to United fans for $%cking us overl, admit publicly that everything You know about football You could write on the back of a stamp, then retire to some tropical paradise where nobody recognises You with all the bonuses and salary You made while robbing a living at Man Utd.

AUnitedOpinion

In all honesty he has to keep backing Ole....

He needs to sit down with investors and the rest of the board and tell them he will back Ole heavily in the Winter transfer window and again next summer.

Bring in a couple of players that we need aka a right winger and a attacking midfielder and then add more quality next summer.

If we sack another manager this whole process is just going to continue. We made our bed when we gave him the full time job before the end of last season.

Safa Boy

Like some others on here have said, he needs to remove himself from the football part of the club. He's obviously good at the financial part of it all, so he should just focus on that and look to appoint a Director of Football. That said, with his history of managerial appointments in mind, there's a good chance that he will mess that up as well if he does it on his own.

The safest bet in my opinion, would be for him to form an ad hoc committee to handle the process and to present him with the best available candidate to appoint. This committee should consist of people who genuinely know football, who understand the history of the club and who understand what the fans want to see on and off the pitch. Perhaps SAF, David Gill and a few others who aren't necessarily connected with the club. I think that would lead to a more balanced process. You don't want a committee full of United legends appointing some unqualified ex-player or legend to be DOF. That would just lead to more despair.

hobbers

1. Sack Ole.
2. Hire interim manager who will actually stay as an interim manager.
3. Scour world for top qualified DOF and hire one (you'd like to think a lot of work has already been done in this area but I bet it hasn't).
4. With the DOF evaluate potential managerial candidates to go for at the end of the season.
5. Once the new manager is in let him and the DOF get on with the football side of things.
6. New tractor partnership deal.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
  • Hire Jon Rudkin, the Leicester City's director of football as the chief football executive.
  • Let him use the international break to audit and evaluate every aspect of the club's operations.
  • Give him complete autonomy to either fire Ole or build a structure around him to make him successful.
  • Scour the loan, free agent, transfer market to bolster the squad in January and hope to finish the season well.
  • Continue the rebuild in the summer.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
if he isn't shitting himself, he fecking should be.
Yes. Just like the rest of us.
He is probably ok at the financial side of the business.
So. He, or the owners should change his terms of reference to that and then appointed an experienced and qualified DoF to restructure the footballing side of the business.

Konimey

Appoint a DOF and stay away from the footballing side of the club till i retire.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
  • Hire Jon Rudkin, the Leicester City's director of football as the chief football executive.
  • Let him use the international break to audit and evaluate every aspect of the club's operations.
  • Give him complete autonomy to either fire Ole or build a structure around him to make him successful.
  • Scour the loan, free agent, transfer market to bolster the squad in January and hope to finish the season well.
  • Continue the rebuild in the summer.
Good clear thinking. But what would you do about Woodward.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Whenever I'm feeling a little under the weather I'd open the Glazers bank account, praise myself for keeping it full, open my bank account, have a big chuckle and then continue doing exactly what I'm doing. I'm the Teflon Don.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Good clear thinking. But what would you do about Woodward.
He can stay as the cheque book CEO as long as he doesn't start curtailing the power of the chief football executive or overrule him on transfers. If he was fine taking a backseat to different managers, there should be no issue for him to do that.