You are Ed Woodward. What do you do?

momo83

Massive Snowflake
How is it not hollow to "achieve" CL qualification, only to get knocked out by a poor Sevilla side with a whimper, and basically give up on the knockouts as soon as the draw was made the season after?

Once again, you're making pointless comparisons. He did better than Klopp with his CL qualification in 2017/18? They contested the final for crying out loud! What good is CL qualification if your efforts in the competition are minimal?
He’s been our most successful manager post SAF. Anything arguing that is, currently, pointless.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
If I were him i would personally write this season off and accept we'll have to spend in January to get half-decent attacking players in. No matter how bad Solskjaer is -- and he really is bad -- we shouldn't be seeing what we're seeing right now. Our players are absolutely shocking and can't buy a goal, which was pretty obvious at the start of the season to most posters.

Really, the longer we persist with Peirera, Chong, Mata, Lingard, Fred anywhere near the first team, the longer the rot will go on. The club have to accept they will have to spend more money on areas that they've either neglected for years or simply misspent on.

Rashford also needs a break. The guy can't carry us.

This should be what Solskjaer is telling him.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He can stay as the cheque book CEO as long as he doesn't start curtailing the power of the chief football executive or overrule him on transfers. If he was fine taking a backseat to different managers, there should be no issue for him to do that.
Right. From a football perspective he has been a disaster. Pure and simple.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
He’s been our most successful manager post SAF. Anything arguing that is, currently, pointless.
He's our most successful manager but he's been the best of a sorry lot. I don't see the point of bringing it up unless for some reason you're trying to pretend Mourinho was the answer.

AneRu

There's a phrase used in business - snout in the trough. When I've heard it said of people, it meant you work for years to get to the top. Once you're at the top you take advantage by manipulating pay and conditions. Getting other people to award you bonuses, pensions, and pay-rises. You can't get these benefits unless you're at the top. People at the top, don't concede authority because shared authority makes one less important for the company. With most public companies the shareholders will stop a bad or weak CEO by sacking. But Glazers only see the bottom line - profits and good accounts. It may take a few years of sporting mediocrity for profits to be really hurt. So strap yourself in. Get ready for the long haul. They will not sack him, nor force his to share control over United's playing staff.
If the CEO has the responsibility of building the first team then its worse than we though, the DOF takes the power away from the manager because you can't rely on managers for the long term football strategy. We aren't the only club with a CEO but we are one of the three in the League without a DOF/Sporting or Technical Director and what are we getting for it? The fourth biggest wage bill for an average league position of 6th over 6 years. Could we really say the CEO at Liverpool's importance has diminished because they now have a Technical Director? The past six years have just shown us the you can't entrust the manager with the responsibility of moulding the first team football strategy and changing strategy costs money, a lot of money in football.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
He's our most successful manager but he's been the best of a sorry lot. I don't see the point of bringing it up unless for some reason you're trying to pretend Mourinho was the answer.
Well he was the answer for 2 seasons and took us up a few levels. Qualifying for the CL two years in a row, finishing second and winning a major European tournament was a major step up. Sadly the bored fecked it up with his replacement.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Well he was the answer for 2 seasons and took us up a few levels. Qualifying for the CL two years in a row, finishing second and winning a major European tournament was a major step up. Sadly the bored fecked it up with his replacement.
It wasn't a major step up when we were getting knocked out by Sevilla and scraping past Young Boys, while looking well off the CL spots having pissed off basically the entire team.

edcunited1878

I would do something that would put my ego in place first off.

Secondly, I would remove myself from all football playing operations. Thirdly, I would talk with the best sporting clubs in the world and learn about their sporting operations and mirror mine like theirs.

After drawing up a list of candidates to run my football playing operations, from first team to academy...I'd hire the best people, give them my goals and a budget and let them do their work. Completely hands off. My focus would be to find the necessary resources and budget to support the President of Club Football.

All you have to do is see what Ajax, Dortmund and countless other clubs across Europe. There are examples where the structure is not entirely dependent on the manager.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
It wasn't a major step up when we were getting knocked out by Sevilla and scraping past Young Boys, while looking well off the CL spots having pissed off basically the entire team.
At least he got us into the CL two years in a row so our criticism could be getting knocked out by Sevilla and scrapping past Young Boys.

How standards and expectations have dropped in the past 10 months.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
At least he got us into the CL two years in a row so our criticism could be getting knocked out by Sevilla and scrapping past Young Boys.

How standards and expectations have dropped in the past 10 months.
Of course expectations have dropped. We're objectively an upper mid-table team now, in no small part due to Mourinho.

Fitchett

Appoint a Director of Football now and ensure that the DoF and Manager are given sufficient funds in January and the Summer to bolster the squad to the standards expected by Manchester United supporters, in time for the start of next season.