You have a £80mil Summer Transfer Budget...

croadyman

Who is the best CDM we could get realistically if Kounde came in for around £60-£65m

CodeRed

I cant believe people are saying Harland. It's bad having one player on our books who has Raiola as their agent. We certainly don't want a possible 2 players. It doesn't matter how big a player is. No player is bigger that the club. I don't need to mention Sir Alex and Beckham.

Plus we don't need a striker and we don't need a midfielder.

Our issue's are at the back. We need a young promising centre back like Upamecano. Plus why not see about Ramos as well. 1 young and 1 veteran centre back would be fantastic. Chances are we are going to lose 2 centre backs at the end of the season anyway.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Get Kane and Grealish, they're both proven in the league so the risk of them flopping is massively reduced.

Sell martial, mata, matic, pogba (if he wants out), lindelof, ddg and buy a creative midfielder (if pogba leaves) and promote youth. Henderson and bailly are good enough to raplace ddg and lindelof, could probably get ramos on a free transfer also.

And retain cavani.

Even the thought of cavani and kane getting fed inside the box with quality passes from grealish gets me a boner! they'd be banging in goals left right and center.

Last edited:

Champagne Football

Get Kane and Grealish, they're both proven in the league so the risk of them flopping is massively reduced.

Sell martial, mata, matic, pogba (if he wants out), lindelof, ddg and buy a creative midfielder (if pogba leaves) and promote youth. Henderson and bailly are good enough to raplace ddg and lindelof, could probably get ramos on a free transfer also.

And retain cavani.

Even the thought of cavani and kane getting fed inside the box with quality passes from grealish gets me a boner! they'd be banging in goals left right and center.
Martial is on £250,000 a week. There's not a club in Europe who will even offer him half that weekly amount, so he's not going anywhere.

Same goes for De Gea.

Spurs will value Kane at least £120 million so nobody will be buying him due to his age and Covid financial issues.

Grealish will cost at least £90 million. Our priority will be central defense, so there won't be a spare £90 million left over after we buy a central defender.

So there's really no hope of Kane and Grealish realistically speaking.

I think our summer will look like this - a signing of a central defender such as Wesley Fofana or Tyrone Mings, and a couple of unheard of superkids and that will be it.

lex talionis

We’re struggling to score goals. We can forget about Kane and Grealish and Haaland. If 80m brings in Sancho we’re sorted at RW.

Dropped points to Sheffield and West Brom become two three point results and not one point from six on offer. And having a world class threat at RW gives us a substantially better chance to nick a point off top four clubs.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
We’re struggling to score goals. We can forget about Kane and Grealish and Haaland. If 80m brings in Sancho we’re sorted at RW.

Dropped points to Sheffield and West Brom become two three point results and not one point from six on offer. And having a world class threat at RW gives us a substantially better chance to nick a point off top four clubs.
We've scored more than anyone else this season.

If 80 was our lot, then we'd need to prioritize a defender and maybe a midfielder if there was enough left. Pau Torres would be expensive (55 million release clause) but would walk straight into our team as a left footed CB.

35 million left, Dennis Zakaria is a machine and would be an excellent 6 for us, and could easily play in a double pivot with Scott.

A little over budget, but would both walk into our side, are both 6'3'', good on the ball but defensive monsters.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
------------------Cavani---------------------
Rashford---Bruno----Greenwood
----------Zakaria---Scott----------------
Shaw---Torres---Maguire---AWB
--------------------DDG----------------------

Give Cavani another year and activate Haalands release clause in 2022, Deano will either be ready, or not by then as well.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Out: Bailly 10m, Lingard 30m, Pogba 60m, Martial 40m, VDB 30M, Mata free

In: Milenkovic 30m, Hakan Calhanoglu free, Zakaria 50m, Jadon Sancho 70m, Haaland 70m,

bsCallout

Need a CB.

Starting to buy into Grealish though, his ability to play centrally against the low block would transform us.

Fred
Bruno - Grealish
Amad/Greenwood - Cavani - Rashford

Unreal.

Grealish and a CB.

Edit: Grealish would replace Rashford for me in games we don't dominate.

Last edited:

Jonesno.8

Alaba on a free for CDM and competition in the back 4. See how Diallo goes and then maybe a CF, Haaland be good, looks like he gets about the pitch well. A CB wouldn't go amiss either.

GMoore23

Existing budget plus sale of Martial for Haaland.
Sale of Pogba and Lingard for Ndidi and Trippier/ R Pereira
Hopefully we have enough budget left plus with the players we have released and are set to release we should have enough for a decent CB.
Alaba on a free possibly also

dal

£80 million + £100 million for martial
And Pogba.

I’d buy Grealish and Haaland. £180 million should do the trick.

Champagne Football

In a world where Garner, Van de Beek and Diallo all prove to be Utd quality next season, then something like this first XI would be nice...

------------------Cavani---------------------
Rashford---Bruno----Greenwood
----------Garner---Donny----------------
Shaw---Fofana---Maguire---Aarons
------------------Henderson----------------

Subs - Ings, Diallo, DDG, AWB, McT, Fred, Lindelof

slyadams

I know we need a CB, Rw and a striker, but I think Grealish might well be the best player in the league given the platform.

Devil may care

With that budget I'm already looking at secondary options, I'd have to hope we got a CM in the Pogba deal and that one of the young wingers we bought will come good as i wouldn't get any other players out of that budget if I bought any of the forwards worth having. So I'd pray Konate can stay fit and trigger his release clause which is €40M I believe, and then I'd buy Aarons as RB competition.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
Alaba for "free". Sancho for 80m (no idea how realistic that could be).
The year after Haaland and Kounde, the team could look like that:

--------------------------Haaland---------------------------
Sancho --------------Bruno------------------Rashford
-------------Alaba/Pogba----------------MCT-----------
Shaw/Alaba----Kounde----Maguire------AWB
---------------------------De Gea-----------------------------

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I don't get the fuss over Sancho. He does not look like anything special in terms af attutude, character and winning spirit. Another quiet boy that Utd have too much of already. I get Haaland...he looks like he will grasp the nettle.

Red00012

I cant believe people are saying Harland. It's bad having one player on our books who has Raiola as their agent. We certainly don't want a possible 2 players. It doesn't matter how big a player is. No player is bigger that the club. I don't need to mention Sir Alex and Beckham.

Plus we don't need a striker and we don't need a midfielder.

Our issue's are at the back. We need a young promising centre back like Upamecano. Plus why not see about Ramos as well. 1 young and 1 veteran centre back would be fantastic. Chances are we are going to lose 2 centre backs at the end of the season anyway.
Martial has 4 PL goals this season Cavani is 34 and he’s 6. We clearly need an upgrade on Martial

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't get the fuss over Sancho. He does not look like anything special in terms af attutude, character and winning spirit. Another quiet boy that Utd have too much of already. I get Haaland...he looks like he will grasp the nettle.
Probably because at age 20 he's already had 2 world class seasons and is one of the best wingers in the world, is English, plays on the right wing where we have nobody, and wants to actually join and is available this coming summer.

Haaland isn't necessarily available this summer, his release clause kicks in next summer. And if we sign Sancho, he's here to stay for a long time and we've sorted out the right wing after years of neglect. Haaland is an Ibra type who wants to go everywhere and win everything. So he could come for a few years, but he'd probably insist on a release clause and then push to leave within 5 years just like he's been at Dortmund for just over a year and there's already talk of him leaving. Plus he's a Raiola guy. Brilliant player, but he's someone we should push for when we are set pretty much everywhere else as he wouldn't be here for long. Sancho has to be the priority. Getting both would be an impossible dream though. Also have to keep in mind that Greenwood is definitely a striker and will develop into a top one.

Okey

Not fair to say you can't add to the 80m from player sales. I would regard it as a net spend of 80m. For me, 150m to BVB for Haaland and Sancho (65, 85). Milenkovic and Zakaria won't cost much above 50m together. Sell Pogba, Martial, Mata, Jones, Matic and you should get to about 80m net.
If we had only 80m I'll buy Haaland, but will remind the board every week why we're screwed next season.

lex talionis

We've scored more than anyone else this season.

If 80 was our lot, then we'd need to prioritize a defender and maybe a midfielder if there was enough left. Pau Torres would be expensive (55 million release clause) but would walk straight into our team as a left footed CB.

35 million left, Dennis Zakaria is a machine and would be an excellent 6 for us, and could easily play in a double pivot with Scott.

A little over budget, but would both walk into our side, are both 6'3'', good on the ball but defensive monsters.
True, but it’s also true one fifth of our goals scored came in one freak game (Southampton) and one fifth of our goals conceded came in one freak game (Spurs). Of note is that both matches were marred by an early sending off. Take out these two extreme outliners and our attacking record is far more humble and our defensive record respectably better at 1.0 goals per game, which compares well to the 0.9 goals per game conceded by Liverpool and City last season.

We’re nowhere near the attacking force we should be and we find ourselves in tight games deep into matches, relying far too much on Bruno for creativity and scoring. One goal scored against Sheffield and West Brom — I’m not having excuses about how hard it is to break down relegation bound sides — is laughably absurd.

We have literally not had a RW player for a decade. Not a season — a decade. Maybe Diallo is the answer and I’m completely on board with giving him a proper run this season and is he proves genius let’s take a pass on Sancho. But if he doesn’t, well, we can’t go another season leaving the RW as a gaping hole in the squad.

The Lindelof problem is real, but we literally have 4 CBs already (I’m not counting Jones) with Mengi a prospect who might be ready for the first team next season. I may be wrong in believing in Bailly, admittedly our physioroom legend, and in Tuanzebe, but the hypothetical question posted in the OP asked what it asked and if there is one massive hole in the squad no one here can deny it’s at RW (Greenwood is a CF for me) and we cannot go another season with that hole unfilled and expect to start scoring goals against clubs Sheffield and West Brom, who mug us all the time.

DevTheRed

I think the way I see it at the moment we need a CB, a back up RB, a DM, a RW, and a backup to Bruno (Donny just isn’t it).. that’s quite a few gaps still left to

As for players leaving it’s pretty much been confirmed that Pogba will be off in the summer, Lingard will most likely join West Ham permanently, Andreas Pereira will most likely leave, I’m praying someone will be stupid enough (Bruce) to take Phil Jones off our hands, then you have the likes of Mata, Chong and Dalot who I also wouldn’t be surprised if they left.

I wouldn’t mind taking Ramos for a season on a free, the guy is a winner. Kieran Trippier makes sense as back up to AWB, he’s a decent attacking full back and would be fairly cheap considering.

With midfield I wouldn’t mind taking on Locatelli for the CM/DM spot, again would be fairly cheap and has been a very consistent player since signing for Sassuolo, passes the ball very welI and has some bite to his game also.

RW has to be Sancho, the guy is only 20 and is absolute world class. I think it’s a given that he’ll be leaving in the summer and there’s no way we can allow him to go to one of our rivals, it would be a massive missed opportunity.

As for the back up to Bruno, and with Sancho taking up most of the budget, I think it makes sense to bring in Hakan. His contract is up in the summer and would come in on a free.

Would take our spending to about £110-120m, but obviously with Pogba and Lingard leaving that will raise about £50m in itself. Football Manager makes this stuff look so easy doesn’t it? :lol:

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
People here asking for haaland yet completely forget that we desperately need a right winger. The only postion we don't actually have a proper player. And no Diallo isn't it, yet.
We have players who can do a job on the rw.. we only have cavani who can be a #9

simplyared

In my dreams it would be a raid on Chelsea where I would take Kovacic (CM/DM) and James (RB). Not going to happen so more realistically I would go for the following:

Azpilicueta 15m
Vestergaard 15m
Calvert-Lewin 50m

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
If Haaland was available we need to grab him. There's no way he's going to go for less than 150 million but that's the price you pay. He's already a superstar.

Lentwood

I would prioritise a CB to partner Maguire.

I'd also stick Henderson in goal and try and start working Amad and Mejbri into the match day squad on a regular basis.

buckooo1978

80 million plus Pogba (60m), Lingard (20m), Jones (free), Mata (free), Matic (10m), Dalot (15m) + fringe players would free up a decent budget in terms of fee and wages

There are bargains to be had

We should be looking for next Ndidi for CDM and a marquee player like Haaland/Sancho would be very welcome

if the Glazers provided 150 plus sales we could really take the next step this summer

would love to see a team like this....I dare say it would take a lot more than 150m plus a Pogba swap for Marquinhos

--------------------------------------Henderson--------------------------------------------
AWB------------Marquinhos----------------Maguire---------------------Shaw
--------------------------------------Ndidi------------------------------------------------------
------------------------Bruno--------------------Van De Beek-------------------------
Sancho--------------------------Haaland--------------------------------Rashford

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
Since the OP states it's just 80M and no sales, it's a toughie.
We usually get overcharged for players regardless and you're looking at 80M for a top player these days anyway, heck, with us didn't they want 50M for Longstaff?!

devips

For me it's easy. Messi on the RW on a free; Ramos as CB on a free again. I would give the 80 mio assigned fund back to Woodward.

Polar

80m + Sale of Martial = Haaland
Sale of Pogba = CM or CD

Luke1995

If we could get Harry Kane, we should. I think he has been the best striker in England for a few years despite a few injuries.

RUCK4444

Every penny (and massive wages if need be) on Haaland.

I would sign him over pretty much any player on earth right now. Absolutely complete no 9 and a freak of nature.