You have a £80mil Summer Transfer Budget...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Should we be making an offer for Richarlison? He is a good player, works hard, gets some goals, a big upgrade on Martial, 30million should be a good price.
I'd say he's quite similar to Martial in that he can have long spells where he doesn't do anything. Way too inconsistent for me.

Also Everton bought him for £35m rising to 50m so you're dreaming if you think they'd sell for 30.

DomM

I'd say he's quite similar to Martial in that he can have long spells where he doesn't do anything. Way too inconsistent for me.

Also Everton bought him for £35m rising to 50m so you're dreaming if you think they'd sell for 30.
ah, but that was pre-covid, teams need the money more today..

actually I didn't know he cost that much, 40m is a bit much really.

crossy1686

career ending
If we've only got £80m to spend this summer we're in a world of trouble.

Sell Martial, Pogba, and De Gea. Lingard, Pereria, and Romero also. Loan out Jones if possible.

Sign Sancho, Grealish, Ndidi, Konate, and a backup GK.

The squad needs a shake-up and we absolutely cannot have another summer like the last one if we don't want to fall seriously behind.

cyril C

This. No brainer. Ramos would come on a free and 80 million should cover Haaland's transfer fee + his wages and Ramos's wages. Bet Dortmund now wish they would have a higher release clause fee, although I won't be surprised if they have a secret agreement with Haaland to increase his release clause fee.
No Brainer?

Let's get this straight.

Haaland's release clause will be 70m+ unless we wait until 2022, plus 30m for his agent. Haaland's wage will be minimum 200K = 10m p.a.

Ramos will be free (for a 35 years old, what do you expect) but his wage is on 300K, that is 15m p.a.

What don't we add Messi as well, annual wage 83m.

Total 208m on year 1.

Interval

Level
Why would you sell Pogba? After so long, we have reasonable strength and depth in midfield. He seems content here since no one else will break the bank to buy him.

We don't need to break what's working to spend money elsewhere that may or may not work. Sell Pogba and we get screwed in midfield if Bruno is injured.

I'd buy Haaland only because he's special. We need a rw and CB too. Vidic type signing on the cheap is what we need.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Why would you sell Pogba? After so long, we have reasonable strength and depth in midfield. He seems content here since no one else will break the bank to buy him.

We don't need to break what's working to spend money elsewhere that may or may not work. Sell Pogba and we get screwed in midfield if Bruno is injured.

I'd buy Haaland only because he's special. We need a rw and CB too. Vidic type signing on the cheap is what we need.
because he is going to be in the last year of his contract, and it would likely take a massive contract offer to get him to an extent. And for me offering a guy who only about 3-4 months ago was struggling to get in the team first team a massive contract that would likely take him into his mid 30's would be a mistake.

Yeah, he has played well the last few months before his injury, but over his time here calling him inconsistent would be a kind way of putting it. There has been attitude problems, agent problems, injury problems are starting to mount and before the last few months, he was more renowned for going missing from games than impacting them in a positive way.

For me tieing him down to a long term contract and you run a very high risk of an Ozil or Sanchez style issue happening. So you sell him and cash in on him while his stock is high.

NoPace

I’d sell martial & Pogba which should raise an additional £100m. West Ham would probably take Lingard at about 20-25m. Then I’d target Sancho, Ndidi & Kounde. Greenwood as backup 9 to Cavani. Then I’d target Haaland & Grealish the following year.

DDG/Henderson

AWB/Dalot
Kounde/Bailly
Maguire/Lindelof
Shaw/Telles

Ndidi/Matic
Van de Beek/Fred
Bruno/Scott

Sancho/Diallo
Rashford/James
Cavani/Greenwood

Maguire & Lindelof be each other’s replacements. Never to be played together. Scott & Fred no longer needed to protect the back 4 doing 1 man’s job, Ndidi sole DM. Bruno & VDB starting 8’s
Same for me but don't think we're getting N'Didi without paying some truly insane figure, so replace him with Neuhaus, Locatelli, Phillips or another DM.

Also I think it's Grealish or Sancho, and either fits post-Martial, since we can play:

Rashford---------------Greenwood
Grealish---Bruno----------------------

or:

--------------Rashford------------------
Grealish----Bruno-----Diallo/Greenwood/James

depending on if we want Diallo's link play, Greenwood's goal threat or James' defensive workrate and more orthodox right-footed wing play out there. They're all young and improving. And there's always the option of playing Rashford on the right and Cavani up top when we want a physical 9, or sticking Grealish on the right and telling him to play like Isco at Madrid and help the midfield 3 win the battle by being a midfield 4 effectively, which is needed at times in Europe especially, particularly with our DMs being a bit one dimensional and Bruno a 10 who creates chances and defends well but not a particularly Zidane in 06 or David Silva style controller of play. He's more electric guitar than bassist.

Murray3007

Would be looking for a CB, DM, RW ST.

CB - White 50m, Milenkovic 25m - Big fan of white and think he would suit us very well but price tag might be to much, Milenkovic on last year of his contract looks more viable
DM - Rice 50m + Lingard, Koopmeiners 25/30m - Rice would again suit us very well I think but again price tag will prob make it very difficult, hopefully Lingard keeps up his form and might get us a better deal, Koopmeiners seems very logical, defends well and pretty good footballer, again looks a more viable option then Rice.
RW - Sancho 75m - only real option for me, excellent talent, could solve our problem here for years, don't think we will go for him to be honest, might see how the young talent develops.
ST - Haaland, ???, Calvert Lewin 65m, Jovic 35m - Haaland the dream but dont think he is going anywhere this summer, unless was a monster bid, DCL the same to be honest would be a good alternative to Haaland, level below but would be our best ST at the moment, more realistic maybe a cheeky bid for Jovic, clearly not fancied at Madrid, still an excellent player and finisher, if could get him playing would be a good signing.

think it could be a long summer for us fans this year, don't think we will get in all that we need, would be looking around France as could be a good few bargains there with the clubs struggling because of the TV deal scenario.

Out
Pogba 40/50m Martial 35-50m Lindelof 20/25M Lingard 15m, Dalot 10m Periera 5/10m
Mata, Matic, Jones, De Gea - let them leave on free would save a good bit on wages

expect Cavani to be giving another year contract, hopefully Greenwood giving more a chance at CF

Would ideally like Laird, Garner, Diallo, Mejbri, Shoretire to be around the first team,

Widow

CB - White 50m
DM - Rice 50m
ST - Calvert Lewin 65m, Jovic 35m
If we sign any of these I'm going to be sick in my mouth! Especially at those inflated prices.

Over hyped or bang avarage each and everyone of them!

I’d sell martial & Pogba which should raise an additional £100m
How are you getting 100 mill out of those two?

Pogba in his final year and a inconsistent/moody Martial!

I just can't see it.

Last edited:

Murray3007

If we sign any of these I'm going to be sick in my mouth! Especially at those inflated prices.

Over hyped or bang avarage each and everyone of them!

How are you getting 100 mill out of those two?

Pogba in his final year and a inconsistent/moody Martial!

I just can't see it.
every single one of them walk in to our 11 and are better then what we have, if you think other wise your either an idiot or blind

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
Would be looking for a CB, DM, RW ST.

CB - White 50m, Milenkovic 25m - Big fan of white and think he would suit us very well but price tag might be to much, Milenkovic on last year of his contract looks more viable
DM - Rice 50m + Lingard, Koopmeiners 25/30m - Rice would again suit us very well I think but again price tag will prob make it very difficult, hopefully Lingard keeps up his form and might get us a better deal, Koopmeiners seems very logical, defends well and pretty good footballer, again looks a more viable option then Rice.
RW - Sancho 75m - only real option for me, excellent talent, could solve our problem here for years, don't think we will go for him to be honest, might see how the young talent develops.
ST - Haaland, ???, Calvert Lewin 65m, Jovic 35m - Haaland the dream but dont think he is going anywhere this summer, unless was a monster bid, DCL the same to be honest would be a good alternative to Haaland, level below but would be our best ST at the moment, more realistic maybe a cheeky bid for Jovic, clearly not fancied at Madrid, still an excellent player and finisher, if could get him playing would be a good signing.

think it could be a long summer for us fans this year, don't think we will get in all that we need, would be looking around France as could be a good few bargains there with the clubs struggling because of the TV deal scenario.

Out
Pogba 40/50m Martial 35-50m Lindelof 20/25M Lingard 15m, Dalot 10m Periera 5/10m
Mata, Matic, Jones, De Gea - let them leave on free would save a good bit on wages

expect Cavani to be giving another year contract, hopefully Greenwood giving more a chance at CF

Would ideally like Laird, Garner, Diallo, Mejbri, Shoretire to be around the first team,
Imo no way in hell Ole to buy 6 players and sell 10, this is not Lvg era.

If we do not get a top ST I dont’t see any point in buying Jovic for example, we already have our deadwood why spend money on other.

If we can bring Haaland or Dcl then yes, that would be a big upgrade on our attack.
I would like us to keep Pogba if possible.

If we keep Cavani and will have Greenwood than a St transfer is very unlikely.
Our priorities should be a Rw and a Cb. So Sancho and White would be good transfers.

Widow

every single one of them walk in to our 11 and are better then what we have, if you think other wise your either an idiot or blind
Oh, no did someone on the Internet disagrees with you? Grow up!

Oh, and it's 'you're' by the way.

And you call me the idiot!

Can we not have differing opinions without the cheap shots?

I personally think at £50 both white and Rice would be overpriced. Lockdown has at least allowed me to watch every single game for a year (the wife hates me) and I've looked at Rice intensely. He's not a bad player but I'd be hoping for more, truth be told.

DCL has had a decent season, bear in mind many of his 13 league goals came right at the start of the season. Last season he managed 13 goals and before that, he hasn't scored more than 6. £65 mill would be a risk.

As for Jovic, he had a good two years, nothing more. True, it can be hard at Madrid but he looks out of his depth there.

But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time!

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

Easy........

Varane (last year of contract) - 30/Ndidi - 70/Haaland - 70/ Sancho - 80 = 250

Sell - Martial - 50, Matic - 15, Pogba - 80, Lingard - 25 - 170

Net - 80

Alfie092

If there was a VVD type CB out there then I would want a CB ideally who would clearly improve us defensively but as of now I cannot name you a single CB and be confident he would be the answer.

Not sure if Haaland would go for around £80m? If he does, then I would go for him because we are a team that does create enough chances but I feel our forward players miss a lot of them and a clinical striker like Halaand would improve our conversion rate and help churn out a few more points. I know it's such a burden on our forward players knowing they almost have to score at least 2-3 goals per game because our defence is so fragile and bound to concede but I do not know which defender I would go for to guarantee an improvement...

My answer is blow the budget on Haaland and get Ramos on a free because at least he would improve our defence a bit and is also a huge goal threat going forward! We may only get 1-2 years out of Ramos but at least by then hopefully one of these so-called up and coming potentially great CB's have a few more years experience and we can then truly judge them if they are the real deal or not.

Dozer

£80m isn't enough to get the top attacking targets like Sancho/Haaland/Grealish

So on that basis I'd go for Ndidi (my preference over Rice) and use whatever is left to get a quick young CB.

Bwuk

Haaland.

If we spend the budget on him so be it.

Absolutely no way I'd sell Pogba unless he doesn't commit to renewing.

I'd look to move on; De Gea, Romero, Joel Pereira, Jones, Dalot, Tuanzebe, Mata, Lingard, Andreas Pereira, Chong and Martial.

Henderson
AWB - Bailly - Maguire - Shaw
McTominay - Pogba
Greenwood - Bruno - Rashford
Haaland​

With the likes of Fred, VdB, Amad, James, Cavani providing rotation and depth.

If we could get another CB in I'd do it, and unless Laird is seen as ready to provide competition to AWB after his loan I think we could do with another RB to compete with AWB.

red_de_pologne

Easy........

Varane (last year of contract) - 30/Ndidi - 70/Haaland - 70/ Sancho - 80 = 250

Sell - Martial - 50, Matic - 15, Pogba - 80, Lingard - 25 - 170

Net - 80
I like the sound of the world where Varane goes for 30 mil and Pogba sells for 80

Haaland.

If we spend the budget on him so be it.

Absolutely no way I'd sell Pogba unless he doesn't commit to renewing.

I'd look to move on; De Gea, Romero, Joel Pereira, Jones, Dalot, Tuanzebe, Mata, Lingard, Andreas Pereira, Chong and Martial.

Henderson
AWB - Bailly - Maguire - Shaw
McTominay - Pogba
Greenwood - Bruno - Rashford
Haaland

With the likes of Fred, VdB, Amad, James, Cavani providing rotation and depth.

If we could get another CB in I'd do it, and unless Laird is seen as ready to provide competition to AWB after his loan I think we could do with another RB to compete with AWB.
Which is exactly the reason we will be forced to sell him?

Giggsy13

The state of supporters who actually think we’re getting Haaland this summer. No chance.

Murray3007

Imo no way in hell Ole to buy 6 players and sell 10, this is not Lvg era.

If we do not get a top ST I dont’t see any point in buying Jovic for example, we already have our deadwood why spend money on other.

If we can bring Haaland or Dcl then yes, that would be a big upgrade on our attack.
I would like us to keep Pogba if possible.

If we keep Cavani and will have Greenwood than a St transfer is very unlikely.
Our priorities should be a Rw and a Cb. So Sancho and White would be good transfers.
not sure where you think its 6 for a start when its clearly different options for positions, as for Pogba would gladly see the back of him, massive flop here and last thing we need is giving out another major contract that will bite us in the future like DDG and Sanchez.

Murray3007

Oh no did someone on the Internet disagree with you? Growup!

Oh, and it's 'you're' by the way.

And you call me the idiot!

Can we not have differing opinions without the cheap shots?

I personally think at £50 both white and Rice would be over priced. Lock down has at least allowed me to watch every single game for a year (the wife hates me) and I've looked at Rice intensely. He's not a bad player but I'd be hoping for more, truth be told.

DCL has had a decent season, bare in mind many of his 13 league goals came right at the start of the season. Last season he managed 13 goals and before that he hasn't scored more than 6. £65 mill would be a risk.

As for Jovic, he had a good two years, nothing more. True, it can be hard at Madrid but he looks out of his depth there.

But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time!
might want to check your spelling before you try to call other's out but on to your points, based on what is White and Rice over priced ? White similar to Stones who went for 50m about 3 years ago, Rice similar to Rodri would say he is actually better then him and he cost around that money again about 2 years ago, not sure what else your expecting from a DM player, Premiership clubs aint short of money hence you need to pay more for players,

DCL has more goals then Cavani, Martial, Greenwood combined and playing in a worse side, like i said is miles ahead of the 3 options we have just now.
Jovic is the same better then what we currently have, not sure he is out his depth he just ain't been giving any chances by Zidane,

sonnyfeehan

We are in more desperate need of a CF or regular reliable goal scorer. Haaland will score 25 league goals. A RW most likely will not. What would be the point of a RW supplying unreliable forwards?
Spot on. I don't know why people can't see the obvious. Haaland is younger and better than Harry Kane

Widow

might want to check your spelling before you try to call other's out but on to your points, based on what is White and Rice over priced ? White similar to Stones who went for 50m about 3 years ago, Rice similar to Rodri would say he is actually better then him and he cost around that money again about 2 years ago, not sure what else your expecting from a DM player, Premiership clubs aint short of money hence you need to pay more for players,

DCL has more goals then Cavani, Martial, Greenwood combined and playing in a worse side, like i said is miles ahead of the 3 options we have just now.
Jovic is the same better then what we currently have, not sure he is out his depth he just ain't been giving any chances by Zidane,

Jovic has had one good season (25 in 54 for Frankfurt) other than that, his numbers are average at best (2 in 21 Madrid, 12 in 42 for Red Star) 2 in 21 for Madrid...just doesn't cut it! We have enough problems with our No9 without chasing another that can't find the net with regularity.

Rice better than Rodi? Nope!

Comparing White with Stones? Just makes no sense! The hype around Stone gave him the price tag, a tag that he struggled for years to live up to.

DCL is Everton's main goal threat. We have spread the goals around a little more. He scored 11 of his 13 PL goals in 8 of the first 11 games. Since then he has managed 2 in ten games, with only 2 assists total during this time. He has scored in 10 games from 25 in the league. His numbers look amazing until you add context. He has been nowhere before this season and when you break it down, he's not up to much now! £65 million my arse!

Cavani, Greenwood and Martial have scored 18 combined and delivered 15 assists between them BTW so DCL hasn't scored more than them combined.

All this is irrelevant anyway. I'd bet my house we aren't going anywhere near any of them.

Murray3007

Jovic has had one good season (25 in 54 for Frankfurt) other than that, his numbers are average at best (2 in 21 Madrid, 12 in 42 for Red Star) 2 in 21 for Madrid...just doesn't cut it! We have enough problems with our No9 without chasing another that can't find the net with regularity.

Rice better than Rodi? Nope!

Comparing White with Stones? Just makes no sense! The hype around Stone gave him the price tag, a tag that he struggled for years to live up to.

DCL is Everton's main goal threat. We have spread the goals around a little more. He scored 11 of his 13 PL goals in 8 of the first 11 games. Since then he has managed 2 in ten games, with only 2 assists total during this time. He has scored in 10 games from 25 in the league. His numbers look amazing until you add context. He has been nowhere before this season and when you break it down, he's not up to much now! £65 million my arse!

Cavani, Greenwood and Martial have scored 18 combined and delivered 15 assists between them BTW so DCL hasn't scored more than them combined.

All this is irrelevant anyway. I'd bet my house we aren't going anywhere near any of them.
You do talk some rubbish eh, White and Stones are about as similar as it gets, apart from White is a better defender, if you cant see why there compared am not sure football is for you to be honest, we aint spread the goals about apart from the reason are strikers are poor, don't matter when he has scored the goals, he still has the goals, he has outscored the 3 of them in the league which you refered to earlier but since you tried to make out he was worse then our current lot and you changed the goalposts and he has 18 goals in all comps, which is the same as the 3 of them who have played alot more minutes, maybe you should actually watch football rather then just pretend you do, like I said all them would improve our starting 11. You are right we wont be going for them because they will be far to expensive for the club and will be the reason we again wont be in a title race and scrapping for a top 4 place.

Widow

You do talk some rubbish eh, White and Stones are about as similar as it gets, apart from White is a better defender, if you cant see why there compared am not sure football is for you to be honest, we aint spread the goals about apart from the reason are strikers are poor, don't matter when he has scored the goals, he still has the goals, he has outscored the 3 of them in the league which you refered to earlier but since you tried to make out he was worse then our current lot and you changed the goalposts and he has 18 goals in all comps, which is the same as the 3 of them who have played alot more minutes, maybe you should actually watch football rather then just pretend you do, like I said all them would improve our starting 11. You are right we wont be going for them because they will be far to expensive for the club and will be the reason we again wont be in a title race and scrapping for a top 4 place.
I find you lack of of knowledge disturbing. I'm also starting to believe you're just trolling now!

Go give Wenger his rose tinted glasses back and give your head a wobble while you're at it!

The last thing we need are more mediocre players! Thank god you're not in control of the purse strings.

I see this conversation as over, pointless even. There's just no educating some folk!

We'll see who is correct when the market reopens, I'll bookmark this page.

Bye mate

Silverman

I'd sell Martial & Lingard anyway as they just aren't consistent enough. I'd also sell Pogba tbh. He has been a lot better recently but his best position is currently occupied by Bruno and add in the fact that Raiola has been using him to unsettle him then I think it's time to part ways. I would hope we would get at least £120 million for these three combined.

We NEED to sign a commanding CB and a CM that can dictate the tempo of the game and keep the ball moving quickly.

Then comes the issue of the forward line. Do we go for a ST or a RW/LW.
If we do sell Martial then it will only leave us with Rashford, Greenwood and Amad for the LW and RW positions.
If we sign a ST then that may leave us unable to afford a winger like Sancho or Grealish and with Cavani still going strong and with the fact that Rashford and Greenwood can play as a ST, a winger is probably a more urgent requirement.
Having said that, if we have an opportunity to sign Haaland then I don't think we can pass that opportunity up. Ole could be vital in getting him here.

A part of me wonders if Van de Beek could be the central midfielder that we require which may save us having to sign one this summer and allow us to try and get a winger and a ST but he has to improve a lot between now and the end of the season imo.

We also need a right back to challenge AWB but that isn't as pressing as other positions.

buckooo1978

I'm not even convinced we will buy 1 marquee player - I think we were relying on Pogba leaving last summer for Sancho to come in but with hindsight that was crazy money they were expecting

Our signings last summer were largely good but we didn't spend much at all.....

with us 100m down I think if we spend 60/70/80m on one player it will rely on sales and be heavily staggered in the way we pay it - nothing new I suppose given the current situation

I hate to say it as we haven't signed an established right winger since.....Nani? Zaha and Amad were/are very much prospects

even saying this I think our priority has to be CB and the base of our midfield given the goals we've shipped this year

In the vast majority of games we end up playing 2 of McTominay/Matic and Fred deep when really a player like Ndidi would free up the midfielders more.....when Pogba plays part of that 2 we don't like as solid as we should

CB is still an issue and Maguire hasn't really done much to solve the problem. Bailly is our most dynamic CB but not sure Ole 100% trusts him or his fitness.

What I'd love to see is (we won't see this)

Out: Jones, Lindelof, Lingard, Matic, Mata, Romero and De Gea freeing up plenty of wages and maybe 80/90m in fees - I'd expect Jones, Mata, Romero to leave on frees - De Gea on his wages could leave on a free potentially - think Lindelof, Lingard and Matic are our most sellable assets. If Pogba doesn't sign a new contract we must move him on too

This could free up an extra 120m to focus on some of the areas and 200m in this climate could buy 4/5 good players who, with the right scouting, could really make an impact. I don't see us spending 80m on a player though.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Taking into account the wages, the fact that 80 Mio might not be enough to get everybody in and there are some players that might anyway want to leave:

-) Define who should be our number 1 goalkeeper for the next 5 yrs and sell the other one. For me there is not so much between DdG and Henderson, each has pro and cons. Probably selling DdG is impossible due to his wages, and Henderson might be the more vauleable asset and easier to sell so probably him.

-) I would not renew contracts from Mata and ??? (not sure if there are any other contracts running out for players that are not part of our future plans) to free a bit potential on the wage bill.

-) Lingard + 40 Mio for Rice?

-) If Pogba and Martial are interested in leaving and there are clubs that are willing to pay realistic amounts I would think about letting them go. Think about the future of DvB and in case he does not fit also sell him. Those 3 should have good market values.

-) Get Sancho and a top class CB. If both Pogba and DvB leave we might need another B2B midfielder.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Personally I think 80m is going to be budget pretty inclusive of sales. We're at least 100m down on revenue with significant uncertainty about future advertising revenues with no long term shirt sponser signed up. We'll have to generate our funds this year.

Pogba is a sellable asset, but since PSG, Bayern, Juve and maybe Madrid are the only teams potentially with the funds in Europe, its not a sellers market for him. I would expect offers no higher than 25 - 30m given the contract situation, age and general conditions. In those circumstances, it really wouldn't surprise me if we keep hold until the end of his contract.

Lingard is a saleable asset, as are Bailly, Martial, James, Tuanzebe, Williams, Chong, Levitt, Galbraith and Lindelof. Mata will be released. I would expect for two or three of those to be sold, raising 30 to 40 million, maybe more if Martial is sold.

Keeper is perhaps the most interesting. Personally I can't see De Gea being sold, as I don't see a market for him, especially considering his wages. That means Henderson is likely to be sold, potentially raising the most out of any of our assets.

Given that, we'll need to buy a keeper, a centre back, and maybe a midfielder or forward. We will have to look outside the premier league due to the overpriced nature of players under long term contracts such as Ndidi, Rice, White, Calvert Lewin, Grealish, Jiminez, Neto, Raphina. Pretty much any of those names would chew up almost all, if not more than, the budget.

Haaland is only going to be going to City, who, lets face it, have unlimited funds, PSG if Mbappe is sold to Madrid, Madrid themselves if they can't get Mbappe, or maybe Chelsea if Abramovitch needs to launder more of his Russian mafia loot (allegedly). The money it would take this season I believe would be way beyond us. If he were not to be sold this year and be available on a release clause, its a different ball game, but I can't imagine one or two of these clubs that have the funds this year not being willing to prevent the potential lottery and pay up what's necessary this year to get Dortmund interested, especially if they don't bank what they want from Sancho. It really wouldn't surprise me if it'll take considerably more than 100m this year to get Dortmund to sell.

And that takes us onto Sancho. I think we would be interested, but at quite a bit less than what we offered last year. We know that Dortmund are banking on a sale of one or more of their assets, because they budget for it. If no one pays up the numbers for Haaland, then later in the window we might get him for lower numbers... but we open ourselves to Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, even City getting involved. I reckon we'll stay away and bank on Amad maturing into the player we hope he'll be.

So that then leaves CB, which looks like the lad from Sevilla maybe, or Pau Torres, Badiashille, someone likes that, and a backup keeper. And maybe a punt in midfield with the expectation that Garner and Mejbri will fill the squad gaps.

patty123

I’d try and get Sancho for the RW - have Amad as backup, throw Greenwood up as a 9, and throw Martial away at whoever wants him, even if it doesn’t add to the budget.
Agree with all that till tony, as while I am a fan of his, who in their right mind will offer him 250 a week like we are paying him even without a fee, as remember the yanks are tight scrooge like fecks and would no doubt seek a high transfer fee given he's contracted till 2024, so I dont think he be going anywhere soon.

Why the feck do we limited our ability to get rid of players due to them been put on silly money and never seem to learn from past mistakes in that regard.

croadyman

There is no doubt that the minute Gill announced he was stepping down that Utd should have been looking to bring in someone who had his level of football knowledge and expertise. Like someone said on here earlier we also made a huge mistake in letting Fergie pick his successor when this should have been the job of a DOF. I am certain this would also have meant we wouldn't have people like Jones, Matic & DDG on long contracts and far too much money a week. If we had made those appointments then that kind of low budget would still get some quality because we would have had the right people in place to negotiate decent prices.

lsd

The Oracle
These threads are pointless as we will be looking to sell players as well.

Foxbatt

Sell Martial, Fred, Matic, Jones, DeGea Lingard and off load other players who are not needed and increase the transfer budget.

youmeletsfly

because he is going to be in the last year of his contract, and it would likely take a massive contract offer to get him to an extent. And for me offering a guy who only about 3-4 months ago was struggling to get in the team first team a massive contract that would likely take him into his mid 30's would be a mistake.

Yeah, he has played well the last few months before his injury, but over his time here calling him inconsistent would be a kind way of putting it. There has been attitude problems, agent problems, injury problems are starting to mount and before the last few months, he was more renowned for going missing from games than impacting them in a positive way.

For me tieing him down to a long term contract and you run a very high risk of an Ozil or Sanchez style issue happening. So you sell him and cash in on him while his stock is high.
So let's not offer him a big contract but instead spend 60-80 mil to replace him?