You wouldn't sign with United, would you?

Josep Dowling

There are a lot of good reasons to sign for United. We pay incredibly well for starters.

Foxbatt

It depends on the choices I would have as a player. Also if I am British or not. As a foreign player if I have the chance to play and also with reasonable wages, I would chose Real, Barca, Juve, City, and Liverpool above United right now. The reason why United in the past was able to get good players was because of SAF. RVP is a very good example of this. He said he came to United to win a trophy. He got it. What are the chances of United now winning the EPL or the CL in the next two to three years under Ole? Zero.
Jose with all his toxicity had better chances or odds of winning than under Ole.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It feels like the problem comes down to lesser clubs keeping hold of their best players more easily. We've become incredibly reliant on sides like Leicester and Southampton producing great talent, who actually want to move on, and also not being rivaled in the market by other clubs who've done better than us in recent seasons.

It's exactly the dilemma Liverpool had until a few years ago, but they bought incredibly well and it transformed them. Shows it can be done.

Last edited:

Red Royal

One reasosn to come to us is that if you sign as a big player you are likely to go straight into first XI as opposed to being a bench warmer at other clubs already mentioned above. Wages, yes already mentioned.
Most will know that if you are a success at United then you are going to definitely have a lot of media attention; and hey its a challenge... as opposed to for example Mahrez winning a title at Citeh... so what theyd have probably done it without you.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
People generaly take more paid jobs. Especially if they are more paid and they have to do shit all to earn their wages. That's why hardly anyone wants to leave United.

Amir

You would have to be very young indeed to have seen anyone but United be the most successful club in your lifetime, at least as far as English football goes.

Say you were 18, then the whole period from 2006/07 will have been what you grew up watching of you followed English football.

We have a long way to go before we become an irrelevance.
We are far from irrelevant. But all due respect to our 2006-2013 team, that too is irrelevant compared with the last six years.

If you join a club for its history, it's United all the way. If it's about recent record - not of success, but of style of play, stability, developing players - joining us is a big risk right now. Older players who joined us faltered, younger ones stalled.

Irishman

Is it not called realism and critical thinking?

I think anyone who actually stops and thinks for a minute and tries to put themselves in the position of someone like a Sancho, DeLigt or Havertz from their perspective right now United is a big risk.

Some could look at it and think ok I go there it’s a prestigious name, money is going in to it for new signings so there is a chance it might become a competitor again but then you look at Ole who is a legend to us but not sure how he is regarded outside of England or United fanbase but is also not really that experienced.

It’s a weird scenario and honestly I would say it’s on the bubble of still being a serious choice for the likes of these players.
The media and our rivals fans will continue to peddle this argument and have done so since Fergie retired.

Unfortunately some of our fans have swallowed it hook, line and sinker and now wallow in self pity which they wear like so sort of badge of honour.

It's utter rubbish of course.

We are still one of the biggest clubs in the world and always will be. (despite the Glazers perpetual failings)

We will always be an elite and relevant club.

Our history, traditions and global popularity will always make us an attractive proposition to alot of players.

Our record with bringing through young players, certainly in the EPL, is still much better that most clubs and arguably much better than our rivals, including City and Chelsea.

An example of this rubbish that has been fed and spun is Sancho who apparently won't join us because we are not in the Champions League.

This line is constantly reported in the media when the player and his agent have made no such comments.

However, our fans now spout this rubbish incessantly despite no credible source.

Josep Dowling

As a foreign player I think you look at the top 6 like this:

City: play under the best manager in the world with the best squad. Likely win trophies and get a second wage from the UAE

Liverpool: play under the next best manager in the world and likely fight for trophies. But you live in Liverpool and they can’t offer ridiculous wages

Chelsea: London and decent wages, likely to win a trophy every season.

Arsenal: London, that’s about it at present.

Spurs: London, good manager and looks a club moving in the right direction. Great stadium. But unlikely to get high wages.

Us: Offer big wages, club is in a mess but does spend money. Potentially we can win a cup or two.

SaintMuppet

Despite everything...this is Manchester United people. Sometimes I feel people forget who this club is this club is not what it has been the last few years that is a blip that every team and everyone in general goes through. The other teams want to see United the sleeping giant that it is down because everyone knows United at its best and Old Trafford rocking being the fortress it once was is the scariest thing in England.

No club will ever dominate England the way United did under SAF. It takes time but don’t worry guys United will be back.

I know it sounds “RAWK” like but I feel this is something people need to hear.
Sorry to dampen the optimism but Fergie is gone, those days are gone.

The football landscape has changed and those days will never be repeated.

United will return and compete and win things, I’m confident of that. But the days of dominance we have seen are not going to be repeated. And if they are it’s much more likely City or Liverpool will be doing the dominating as things stand.

Sad but true

Eric's Seagull

I would definitely sign for us. I can see why some wouldn't due to the position we are in, with the rebuilding job going on and no Champions League football and I wouldn't sign for the ludicrous wages we offer. It would for the challenge.

I would sign for us as I would be excited by the challenge of building us up to the great heights of the past. I would like to be one of the players who goes down in history as making a significant contribution in getting us back to the top and challenging for major honours. Then hopefully name would go down in folklore and I would be worthy of being talked about in the same breath as the greats of the past.

Foxbatt

Players are professionals in their jobs. They want two things. Good money and to win trophies. United may give more money but for sure cannot give them a PL or a CL for the next two to three years. Now if we had SAF or a top reputed Manager they may still come. Not for Ole who is a novice and has not won anything of note. Now Moyes if he was at Norway may also have won a trophy or two and to be honest in terms of trophies there is no difference between them apart from style and Ole being a legend at United.
I know it is brutal but what exactly has he won? In the eyes of players, especially foreign players United is not an attractive proposition compared to the competition. Yes it may be the biggest club in England but it is becoming a second level club because of the shenanigans of the management and particularly Woodward.
Now if we did have a top class coach, then it is a different story. We do not have a top class coach right now.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Teams like City, Liverpool and Chelsea have been in far worse situations than we currently are, and when they were building, they had no problem acquiring the level of player they required.

Foxbatt

Teams like City, Liverpool and Chelsea have been in far worse situations than we currently are, and when they were building, they had no problem acquiring the level of player they required.
You seem to forget the type of managers/coaches they had. The manager/ coach is also a very important part of the factor in selecting a club. Now if we had a top quality manager/coach I have no doubt that even without CL we would have a much better chance of getting the top class players.

AFC NimbleThumb

This.

Liverpool have just won their 2nd trophy in 12/13 seasons & not once do I remember the hysteria from a media perspective - all we heard was the same old tripe about Anfield on a Wednesday night.

We’re not far off, I just doubt we have the right people making the decisions to bridge the gap anytime soon.

Still doubt whether buying a £80mil player is currently what we should be doing though.

Zlatattack

If I was De Ligt, Sancho, Dembele, Neymar, Hazard, Eriksen, Kane, Kante etc I wouldn't. These sorts of players deserve to be at the very highest level. They are so good because they are so competitive - so why take a sideways or backwards step?

The only way I could be tempted was silly money, promises of being a key figure and promises of mega investment.

Manchester United is still a very big deal - but will only remain so if they continue to aim right for the very top. When you start playing for the 4th place trophy, you attract that calibre of player.

DeGea

Legacy and worldwide appeal (despite our recent form). No other club in the UK comes close. In Europe, probably only Barca and Real Madrid. United just have so much character and class as a sporting brand.

So yes, I would sign in a heart beat. And imagine the publicity you would get around the world by signing for United. Better than any other club.

But if I was a Spaniard, then maybe Barca or Real due to familiarity.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
As soon as my contract is run down to under 2 years like we seem to like doing with literally all our players, I wouldn't be signing a new one whether I was happy to stay or not. I'd run it down to the final six months then make a decision what I want to do after that.

If you're a good player as soon as that's the case you'll have offers to play anywhere and if you wanted to stay at United you know they'd have to offer you silly money to compete with the wages on offer from other clubs who can sign you for free. So you win either way.

De Dea seems to have done exactly this. Herrera and Mata did the same. If the club plays games you can't expect players to not act in their own best interests as a counter measure. It would put me off signing a bit as well to be honest. The way wages and contracts are managed by United is pretty barmy. I mean I'd still sign if I wanted to play for the club, but if it was a close choice between United and somewhere else it's something you'd have to consider.

Foxbatt

Legacy and worldwide appeal (despite our recent form). No other club in the UK comes close. In Europe, probably only Barca and Real Madrid. United just have so much character and class as a sporting brand.

So yes, I would sign in a heart beat. And imagine the publicity you would get around the world by signing for United. Better than any other club.

But if I was a Spaniard, then maybe Barca or Real due to familiarity.
Sorry to say this is not true right now. Sadly United is losing their appeal around the World. Unless we turn around this would continue to do so. Pep and Klopp are more famous than Ole. Foreign players have no affinity to play for United. Why should they? Now if SAF was still here then it would be a different story. Every top class players knows he is not going to win the CL or the PL with United. With clubs like City, Liverpool, Barca, Real and even Juventus they have much better chance of winning their respective leagues and also the CL. Yes United had a history but it is the present and the future that is the crucial issue now.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
1. Owners don't own slaves
2. Excellent wages
3. Chance to start week after week if performance level is good
4. If you resurrect United, its much bigger than winning at a plastic club few people care about
5. Owners don't own slaves
6. Top tier stadium and a chance to play in front of 75k fans every week + a tremendous traveling support
7. Probably the most well known brand in world football so great endorsement opportunities
8. Transfer spending has always been healthy if sometimes not prudent so good chance of playing with other top tier players
9. United take care of their ex-players with coaching opportunities and ambassadorial roles where you can travel the world hyping up the club
10. Owners don't own slaves
?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
One of, if not the biggest football clubs in the world, where you can earn as much as anywhere else if not more and potentially play a part in bringing a sleeping giant back to the top if you back your own abilities. Why not?
I would enjoy playing in a big ass stadium like OT every other week, but I like to entertain.

Canagel

If I'm a top player I wouldn't sign for us because I can easily find more competitive teams to play for and my talent won't be wasted. However if I'm a bad player I would happily sign for us knowing probably I will stay for many years and make lots of money alongside some other deadwoods.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm trying my best not to be biased, but if I was given the opportunity then I'd actually be very excited by it. I think there is a huge opportunity for players to come in here and make themselves heroes. Build a legacy in bringing us back to the top that will be remembered. One day we'll win the league again and that team will make a hell of a lot of people proud, possibly one of our biggest titles in the PL era.

As a fan I'm actually quite pessimistic about our situation at the moment too. But if I'm a player that can lace up my boots and help do something about it then it's different. I think most players with the same outlook could be convinced of this.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If I was a Maguire, AWB or Daniel James type player I certainly would. United are still a huge club with a lot going for it.

If I was a De Ligt or a Sancho playing for a CL club and confident I could join a host of other CL clubs? There'd be zero chance I'd join United this summer.

If I was looking at United from their perspective I would see a club in crisis, who have spent the guts of the decade either failing or struggling to get CL football, who have just had arguably their most dispiriting season in decades, who have appointed a manager who is on paper very much unqualified for the role and who have provided no real cause to believe that things are going to improve. In that context, even with the size of the club and the financial rewards on offer, I would at least wait a season to see how Ole's rebuild is shaping up.

The only caveat being that I might still join if I was a young player who saw United as a potentially lucrative stepping stone to a Barcelona or Real Madrid, in which case it wouldn't matter so much if the club continues to underperform.

Last edited:

cyberman

Of course I would. United are a statement club for the right calibre of player.
The self hating on here really has to stop.

SE9 RED

We went 26 years without winning the league. During that 26 years we were still the greatest football club in the world. We still are and always will be. Anybody who doesn’t want to sign for us now should never be given the opportunity to do so again in the future.We want players who understand and respect the unique history of this club. We need a modern day Roy Keane to lead us out of the current slump and onto future glory by putting this great club and the success of the collective ahead of personal gain.

Foxbatt

Most of you are thinking as fans. Most players and especially foreign players do not think like fans. They are professional football players who think of themselves first and rightly so too.

Sterling Archer

From the job perspective, I would have to consider salary, team, role, manager, future prospect.

+ Salary: If I'm that good, United will offer competitive wages.

- Team: Outside of a few big names, the team has been mediocre of late. More than anything , I'm concerned about the unrest in the squad.

+ Role: I'll be a fecking global superstar. If JLingz can launch a brand as an average player, I'll be able to use my status in a much better way. Plus ill be guaranteed starting football.

+/- Manager: Legend. His interim stint was so bipolar. At first I thought another case of Pep or Zidane. But then it fell to bits though it could have been fitness, squad all of that. I'll give it a chance because of his iconic status.

+ Future: the club has been in a rut, but it only takes a few seasons to get back to the top. The premier league will only be growing in popularity and I could just as well join Wolves and get plenty of attention. Worst case is bigger move after a few seasons.

+++ It's Manchester United. The name, the history, it all still matters.

Wheato

Any football team is only as good as winning their next game. This is the mentality you need to have. At the start of each season we all start with a clean slate. Only 1 team can win the CL, and next season that won't be us. But it won't be a lot of other clubs either. There's still a lot of trophies and titles still to go for. Just win your next game.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If a am worldclass player, or player with worldclass potential, I wouldn’t.
But if I and playing at mid table clubs without any interest from other big guns, why not.
United usually will overpay, and they often keep the deadwood too, it’s actually paradise for players who are lacking ambition.

redindian1987

Synchronized couples' skate to Losing My Religion
I suppose it's time to close the club now, now that some fans have certified that there's no hope for the club. Is this helpful desolation only relevant to the men's team or should the women's team go down this road as well?

Massive clubs have downward cycles. It's just the nature of the game. The likes of City and Liverpool will have a time in the future when they need to rebuild as well. Of course players want to sign for United; didn't Liverpool attract Suarez and Coutinho? Or ages ago when they got Torres, Alonso and Mascherano? What is the benefit that Aubameyang and Lacazette saw in Arsenal, a decidedly mid table club like United?

And the manager thing isn't even accurate. Suarez didn't pull out DVDs from twenty years ago to see how Dalglish's teams play nor were the likes of Robinho and Tevez excited to play for the force of managerial genius that is Mark Hughes.

That isn't to say that some players won't come to United. That's fine, best of luck to them. But there really is no reason for fans to feed into this ridiculous self hatred; perpetuating a feeling of desolation when this should be an exciting time for the club.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Let's forget we support this club.

Imagine you're a member of the squad, either somebody like Pogba or de Gea (who could easily play somewhere else) or somebody like Mata or Rashford. I'm not talking about people who are too poor for Manchester United (Jones, Rojo) or too old to find a top club for themselves (Young, Matić).

If you were considering your wage and potential trophies, success and popularity, Manchester United wouldn't be your choice, right? Or would it?

Discuss, tell me why you'd choose this club, because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't. No Champions League, no hope for the nearest future... maybe wages, but you never know as some players are paid too much and some too little.

My point is that we often forget that Manchester United is not a club that player want to sign with. Not anymore. Solskjaer or Old Trafford or whatever else doesn't work anymore. Some of you don't realise it, that's why I want to see what would be your opinion on this.
I would for 3 reasons:
1. Big club
2. Big club in need of rebuild. I could make my mark on it.

3. Club has not right winger. I loved operating out wide. Plus crossing was a strength
That would be a slot right there to make my own.

My biggest worry though would be the managerial upheaval.

In pogba and de gea's case. Thinking twice is allowed
They are arriving at the last leg of their careers. Its a case of wanting to win now or 'perhaps' later. Its a case of choosing between being a winner now or hoping to be a winner. I would not blame either for leaving. That is why it will be hard for us to attract players of that age and level. Unless the player sees us as their last big chance to make history with a big club. Aside from the good pay.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Sorry to say this is not true right now. Sadly United is losing their appeal around the World. Unless we turn around this would continue to do so. Pep and Klopp are more famous than Ole. Foreign players have no affinity to play for United. Why should they? Now if SAF was still here then it would be a different story. Every top class players knows he is not going to win the CL or the PL with United. With clubs like City, Liverpool, Barca, Real and even Juventus they have much better chance of winning their respective leagues and also the CL. Yes United had a history but it is the present and the future that is the crucial issue now.
I don't know where you get the bolded bit from and would be interested to know.

Your commercial revenue is stable, ie companies, advertisers and marketing experts across the globe think your name is big and popular enough to use you to successfully promote their products. Match day revenue is increasing so people still want to come and watch and spend. The club income is actually up on last year. There is no evidence to show your global fanbase is shrinking. In fact I would say despite a poor season last year , you are still seen as one of the most popular and successful clubs playing one of the most popular spectator sports in probably the most popular and successful league in the world.

You had a poor season by your expectations (lots of pl teams would be over the moon with 6th), you have plenty of cash to invest and improve and you are trying something a bit new ... it's not the end of the world!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Depends on what type of person you are. The way that I am, I would want to be a part of a project to bring the club back to the top. If I had an offer from City and United I would first ask myself "If I join City and they win the league, how important will I be to that win?" and the answer would be easy considering they have already won without me the past two years in a row. However, if United offered me a spot and I asked myself the same question, I think it would be a lot more satisfying to win with United. Mind you, even if we were already at the top and City was the one trying to claw their way back I would still pick United :lol:

Caesar2290

Why do people assume that if we were winning trophies, the top players would be lining up to join us?

Historically we would buy emerging talent from the PL or lower leagues and turn them into world class players.

We had plenty of top players snub us before in face of a european rival who was doing way worse than us at the time.

Think R9, Kluivert, Blanc in his prime or more recently Benzema to Real.
At the time we were coming of a 2 back to back CL finals and were winning the league for fun, while Real was struggling to get past the round of 16. Guess where he ended up?

The only time when a top player chose us over a european rival, was Pogba.

Ironically we financially outmuscled Real while we weren’t doing so good and under the on the pitch and with no european football.

And before you bring up it was “mostly because of Mourinho”, please remember that we had SAF for 26 years, and yet the number of elite players that joined us instead of our european rivals during that time was close to 0.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
It would really depend on what position and what other clubs are in for me at the time. United likely wouldn't be my automatic must go to destination anymore. As a young player it can be a bit of a difficult one to be honest.

On one hand, the wage is likely to be up at the top of what you could get, but then the out look for trophies is much lower than the other big clubs, and recent history implies that is unlikely to change. Add to the fact that if you did sign for United, getting out and to one of those trophy winning clubs is going to be very difficult, or near impossible if you wanted to stay in the premier league.

I would have to be very sure that I was going to be a key part of the team, and that the club actually intend to raise it's ambitions (Board appear to be content with top 4) before I would sign up. Otherwise I would be shifting to another club.

Eric's Seagull

Think we still have large amount of attraction to some people due to our history and the amount of people wanting to pull on the famous red shirt ans we pay astronomical wages.

Irishman

No unfortunately other teams have become a destination for top young / world class players not us anymore.
Can you please share the long list of top young players that have joined our biggest rivals in the EPL this summer?