You wouldn't sign with United, would you?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I would because I can barely run and I will be filthy rich even if I never get called up for match days.

lsd

The Oracle
If I were Harry Maguire I would sign for United . If I were talented though then no chance I would sign for a club that can win things

Eric's Seagull

I'm trying my best not to be biased, but if I was given the opportunity then I'd actually be very excited by it. I think there is a huge opportunity for players to come in here and make themselves heroes. Build a legacy in bringing us back to the top that will be remembered. One day we'll win the league again and that team will make a hell of a lot of people proud, possibly one of our biggest titles in the PL era.

As a fan I'm actually quite pessimistic about our situation at the moment too. But if I'm a player that can lace up my boots and help do something about it then it's different. I think most players with the same outlook could be convinced of this.
Good post. Agreed particularly with the point in bold as this is very similar to what I wrote here and have been saying for a while.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If I could find a club in Europe's best leagues that could pay me what I want whilst taking part of the CL, there is no way I'd stay at this current Man United. Careers are short so I'd look for the best possible combo between several things (wages, competitiveness, exposure etc ...)

Woodzy

I feel like a lot of people still saying they still would are finding it hard to shift the bias.

Hypothetically, lets say you could walk into any team in the world, then you easily join the below teams over United based on the current state of things:

City, Liverpool, PSG, Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid.

I know it's not as clear cut, and factors like playing time and salary always come into play but if you boil it down to success then the above are all more attractive options right now.

Then you have another tier with the likes of Spurs, Dortmund and A. Madrid that are in a much better state than us but simply aren't quite as attractive as us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I feel like a lot of people still saying they still would are finding it hard to shift the bias.

Hypothetically, lets say you could walk into any team in the world, then you easily join the below teams over United based on the current state of things:

City, Liverpool, PSG, Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid.

I know it's not as clear cut, and factors like playing time and salary always come into play but if you boil it down to success then the above are all more attractive options right now.

Then you have another tier with the likes of Spurs, Dortmund and A. Madrid that are in a much better state than us but simply aren't quite as attractive as us.
If a player can walk into any team in the world, then that player won't join City, Liverpool, Bayern, Juventus too. Obvious choice is Madrid and Barca.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Is it not called realism and critical thinking?

I think anyone who actually stops and thinks for a minute and tries to put themselves in the position of someone like a Sancho, DeLigt or Havertz from their perspective right now United is a big risk.

Some could look at it and think ok I go there it’s a prestigious name, money is going in to it for new signings so there is a chance it might become a competitor again but then you look at Ole who is a legend to us but not sure how he is regarded outside of England or United fanbase but is also not really that experienced.

It’s a weird scenario and honestly I would say it’s on the bubble of still being a serious choice for the likes of these players.
When we start having to borrow money to purchase players, or pay our players late, i'll start worrying how our club's being run. Otherwise, everything else is rectifiable with time.

redIndianDevil

If I was a 19-21 year old showing great potential, I'd run as far away from current Manchester United as possible. If I'm a 25-28 year old showing good talent and at a somewhat smaller club, I'd sign with the current Manchester United in a heartbeat(for filthy wages definitely).

Eoin McMahon

Let's forget we support this club.

Imagine you're a member of the squad, either somebody like Pogba or de Gea (who could easily play somewhere else) or somebody like Mata or Rashford. I'm not talking about people who are too poor for Manchester United (Jones, Rojo) or too old to find a top club for themselves (Young, Matić).

If you were considering your wage and potential trophies, success and popularity, Manchester United wouldn't be your choice, right? Or would it?

Discuss, tell me why you'd choose this club, because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't. No Champions League, no hope for the nearest future... maybe wages, but you never know as some players are paid too much and some too little.

My point is that we often forget that Manchester United is not a club that player want to sign with. Not anymore. Solskjaer or Old Trafford or whatever else doesn't work anymore. Some of you don't realize it, that's why I want to see what would be your opinion on this.
100% it's clear alot of fans forget that regardless of how big a club we are and what we have achieved over the years just doesn't appeal to potential signings as much as we think, they are looking at the current situation at the club and weighing up the pros and cons of a transfer. We have never been a club to make many marquee signings in the past and the club has always tried to stick to the tradition of bringing young players through but when we have targeted big name players we have definitely appealed to most almost as much as the likes of Madrid or Barca.

In recent years we have signed a number of big names and the biggest transfers such as Di Maria, Falcao and Pogba have joined us without Champions League to offer which still showed we could attract the top players albeit with huge money involved. Until this year I have noticed a change in the type of player we are trying to sign with a revert to young British talent as opposed to big name players from abroad. Maybe its just the type of players Ole wants or maybe it is to do with what players are available to us? One thing that is for sure and pains me to say but if any player in the world has the option between signing for us or City or Liverpool or any of the other European giants we are almost certainly 2nd choice.

Reactions: nimic

LARulz

Depends who else is in for me. Also, if they decided to throw Sanchez wages at me then I wouldn't hesitate.

But if I had an offer of United and a current top European club with similar offers on the table then United would most likely not be my pick.

It's like any job. If you see your chance of personal growth matched elsewhere then you go

Woodzy

If a player can walk into any team in the world, then that player won't join City, Liverpool, Bayern, Juventus too. Obvious choice is Madrid and Barca.
It was more a list of teams ahead of us in the pecking order, but either way, while I agree that Madrid and Barca are probably the most attractive options in football, I disagree that it's as clear cut.

De Ligt to Juventus for example (regardless of money likely being a big influence), shows they are becoming the team that everyone wants to play for. Madrid and Barca are still the top dogs, but it's definitely closer than it's ever been.

lysglimt

Scout
How many more attractive clubs in the World are there ? If you weigh in Everything...the history, the wages, the lack of C.L, the manager... everything...how many more attractive clubs are there than United ?

If I am giving all other clubs the benefit of the doubt - I end up with these that players could choose over United - unless they pick a smaller club to be certain of gametime but that would hurt the other clubs as well as United.

From Spain: Barcelona and Real
From Italy: Juventus
From France: PSG
From England: Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and City (and I dont really Believe in Chelsea and Spurs)
From Germany: Bayern

Who else ?

But realistically we are maybe number 8-9-10 now instead óf 3-4-5 that we used to be

Its not worse than that

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It was more a list of teams ahead of us in the pecking order, but either way, while I agree that Madrid and Barca are probably the most attractive options in football, I disagree that it's as clear cut.

De Ligt to Juventus for example (regardless of money likely being a big influence), shows they are becoming the team that everyone wants to play for. Madrid and Barca are still the top dogs, but it's definitely closer than it's ever been.
Madrid didn't even try to sign him and Barca didn't offer him anywhere near the money Juventus have offered.

Of course we are below the pecking order, it's not as if other clubs all stayed at top level from long time. Not long back Liverpool finished 8th in the league and didn't even play in CL next season. 3-4 years back Spurs signed players like Dier, now they signed players like Ndombele. Things change very quickly in football.

The Juventus example you gave, just few seasons ago they were signing players like Morata with Madrid having buy back clause, so they were doing the development work of a player for other club. Now they are in position to sign Ronaldo.

Siorac

As others said, it depends.

If I'm a player with huge, world class potential, wanted by the likes of Real, Barca, Bayern or Juve then no way. I'd be stupid not to go to one of these clubs.

If only the likes of Inter, Arsenal or Sevilla wanted me, then I'd sign for United instead. Same chance of major trophies but much better pay.

Nick7

There's a particular self loathing mood now growing across our fanbase that I find somewhat irritating.

The constant put downs are becoming tiresome.

This thread is yet another example of that expression.

When Fergie once told a fan to 'go and support Chelsea' I understand where he was coming from!
Yup.

romufc

Ofcourse I would sign for the club.

If you believe in your talent, and the club does have talented players and will continue to do so.

If you believe in your own talent and have the motivation to be the best, the fan following at this club will get you legendery status if you are part of a team that can bring glory back at the club. Fans will love you, paid great, and potential to win trophies.

You can go to other clubs, Juve, Real, PSG, Barca.. but part of a team where you do not really feel part of it. Look at Ronaldo, Cassilas?

matt10000

If I was an established player age 27 upwards, then if the opportunity to join Barca, Real, Bayern etc or utd then I would be thinking that I might only have a few years remaining in my career and I want to win things now, I would reject utd. If I was a younger UK based player who wants to prove myself I would be very tempted to choose utd over these other teams so that I can develop and be a key part of things rather than a little fish in a big pool with sporadic opportunities

Revan

Assumptionman
If I was really good, there is no way I would sign for United providing that I would get similar offers from other top clubs.

Eoin McMahon

How many more attractive clubs in the World are there ? If you weigh in Everything...the history, the wages, the lack of C.L, the manager... everything...how many more attractive clubs are there than United ?

If I am giving all other clubs the benefit of the doubt - I end up with these that players could choose over United - unless they pick a smaller club to be certain of gametime but that would hurt the other clubs as well as United.

From Spain: Barcelona and Real
From Italy: Juventus
From France: PSG
From England: Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and City (and I dont really Believe in Chelsea and Spurs)
From Germany: Bayern

Who else ?

But realistically we are maybe number 8-9-10 now instead óf 3-4-5 that we used to be

Its not worse than that
I think the original post is trying to show just how far we've fallen in the last few years in relation to if we did want to sign the best players or to keep hold of our own best players the appeal of Man United is nowhere near what it was and it is disappointing to see players we show interest in and want to keep at the club preferring moves to the clubs mentioned above. Most of the clubs you mentioned have the history, can offer the wages, have C.L and have managers who are far more appealing than Ole at the moment. It's something we just have to get on with and should use this as motivation going forward.

cyberman

What kind of statement?
That I've arrived at one of the historically elite clubs who are chasing the worlds best players.
Become a success here and you're loved the world over. That's the power we have and we're one successful season away from being back where we are.
That's enticing for any player.

TRUERED89

Think of all the players who would love to play in the Premier League and will never get the chance. Think of all the players already in their country’s top league but have no chance of even being in the conversation for a trophy. The majority of players in the world would kill to get the opportunity to play for us. This is utter United-centric, defeatist nonsense you’re spouting.
Amen to this!

Munkehboi

If I had no affiliation with the club, it would depend soley on the offers of on the table. If for instance I was highly regarded but had offers from Man City, Real, Barca et al., then no I wouldn't choose us. Man Utd could offer me the highest wage but if I want to win trophies then no.

Also really depends how good my agent is aswell!

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
I would, because the next gen that makes united great again has great potential for getting massive credits. Media are always looking for stories. Right now it's bashing united but if united get back on top they'll give the team all the hype and support.

lsd

The Oracle
Who would want to be known as a member of one of the worst Utd teams in recent history ?

Web of Bissaka

If you were considering your wage and potential trophies, success and popularity, Manchester United wouldn't be your choice, right? Or would it?
If only those to be considered, yes United won't be my first choice at all tbh.

Then again, I don't care too much about those 4 reasons.

I'm just going to do a Shearer and join my fav childhood club United and try my best to improve it by performances and behaviors.

Irishman

Who would want to be known as a member of one of the worst Utd teams in recent history ?
Honestly, the state of this.

One questions whether alot of the posters on this forum are Utd fans or rivals fans who get a kick out of winding people up.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
It's hard to switch off our loyalty. But you can see why players would prefer other clubs currently - even with us throwing big wages at them. One meeting with Woodward/Judge and you can see the club value marketing and branding above competitions - as heavily reported their line is "Blind's social media follwers increased by 70% within 48 hours of joining" - if a player values his development and career on the pitch, why would they listen to this bullshit? There is no clarity on where the club is going other than Ole will be supported in some way.

We are ran a joke, our planning is a joke, our setup is a joke. This is all above the manager too, not problems he can fix himself. It just happens we also bought poor in recent years so have a few bad eggs in the team.

First impressions mean a lot. If the dream is Manchester United, arriving and talking to idiots will take away from the magic. It's like meeting your hero and it falls flat.

All of this and I've not mentioned out current Europa League position.

The only positive is players coming in now genuinely want to be here. But that is a small positive compared to the bigger picture.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Real, Barca etc or probably more attractive at the moment, but the likes of City, PSG? I dunno, united is still a much bigger club. And imagine being the catalyst for the road bck to the top. That's a lot cooler than winning PSG's 74th Ligue 1 in a row.

NotQuiteManc

Oh yes I would!
Sure United is not at the top at the moment, but football can change real quick, even within a season. Plus, it would taste even sweeter when I would be a part of the eventual success at the end or part of a group that led United back to the top.

Siorac

i Think climate is one of the main factors especially for continental players.
Manchester City don't seem to have a problem attracting all sorts of players from Latin American and Mediterranean countries. The eastern part of Manchester doesn't really have its own micro-climate that's vastly different from that of the western part.

TRUERED89

Real, Barca etc or probably more attractive at the moment, but the likes of City, PSG? I dunno, united is still a much bigger club. And imagine being the catalyst for the road bck to the top. That's a lot cooler than winning PSG's 74th Ligue 1 in a row.
That player(s) would be a legend, even if he did a Di Maria the following season and fecked off!

jem

I'm not sure I buy this. City managed to sign some great players about 10 years ago, despite being a bit of a bumbling mess (Robinho, Roque Santa Cruz, Mark fecking Hughes.) What they clearly did have was the beginnings of an excellent staff being assembled behind the scenes (those Barca guys whose names I'm too lazy to type out.) However, I sincerely doubt players like Yaya Toure were saying "I'm going to sign for City because they have one hell of a Director of Football." More likely, it was the lure of money, which is the one thing we do seem very capable of offering (just ask Lingz, Rashford and Martial, not to mention Sanchez.)

Jerome Holland

Manchester City don't seem to have a problem attracting all sorts of players from Latin American and Mediterranean countries. The eastern part of Manchester doesn't really have its own micro-climate that's vastly different from that of the western part.
Look at the players they sign. Attainable to United too Rodri had a buyout clause. the only difference is Pep signs players for his system. My argument is cream of the crop players Top tier players they more than likely go to warmer climates.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I'm not sure I buy this. City managed to sign some great players about 10 years ago, despite being a bit of a bumbling mess (Robinho, Roque Santa Cruz, Mark fecking Hughes.) What they clearly did have was the beginnings of an excellent staff being assembled behind the scenes (those Barca guys whose names I'm too lazy to type out.) However, I sincerely doubt players like Yaya Toure were saying "I'm going to sign for City because they have one hell of a Director of Football." More likely, it was the lure of money, which is the one thing we do seem very capable of offering (just ask Lingz, Rashford and Martial, not to mention Sanchez.)
Money helped of course. But City also sold themselves well at a board level. We have the money but lack the charisma and astute vision and roadmap to get there at our board level. If it was just money, someone like de Ligt would be considering a move here rather than Juve.

We need a proper structure above the manager - which we are still miles from having.

lsd

The Oracle
Honestly, the state of this.

One questions whether alot of the posters on this forum are Utd fans or rivals fans who get a kick out of winding people up.

Come back in 10 years when Jesse Lingard is on Bt Sports as their expert analysis with the caption 500 games for Utd and Nil Premierships

Andersons Dietician

The media and our rivals fans will continue to peddle this argument and have done so since Fergie retired.

Unfortunately some of our fans have swallowed it hook, line and sinker and now wallow in self pity which they wear like so sort of badge of honour.

It's utter rubbish of course.

We are still one of the biggest clubs in the world and always will be. (despite the Glazers perpetual failings)

We will always be an elite and relevant club.

Our history, traditions and global popularity will always make us an attractive proposition to alot of players.

Our record with bringing through young players, certainly in the EPL, is still much better that most clubs and arguably much better than our rivals, including City and Chelsea.

An example of this rubbish that has been fed and spun is Sancho who apparently won't join us because we are not in the Champions League.

This line is constantly reported in the media when the player and his agent have made no such comments.

However, our fans now spout this rubbish incessantly despite no credible source.
You’re also spouting that it isn’t true with no credible source and it’s a bit naive to think that someone like Sancho would come out and actually say sorry they are not an option no champions league.

I’m sure Milan’s fans had similar thinking to yourself. People trying to look at the situation objectively can probably see we are in a bit of a situation but 1 good season and we could be heading in the right direction again.

Smores

Of course you wouldn't, not if you had other choices. Maybe if we do well next season then we might become an exciting project but not at the moment whilst we're just a club in trouble.

It's depressing that some in here sound like RAWK of years past with this biggest club nonsense.

Siorac

Look at the players they sign. Attainable to United too Rodri had a buyout clause. the only difference is Pep signs players for his system. My argument is cream of the crop players Top tier players they more than likely go to warmer climates.
Cream of the crop top tier players go to Real Madrid, pretty much. Other clubs very rarely buy the absolute very best established players.

But still, City had no problem signing and keeping the likes of David Silva and Agüero; Ronaldo had no problem leaving Madrid for Turin; Neymar was more than happy to swap Barcelona for Paris. All of which suggests climate is just not that big a deal to these players.