You wouldn't sign with United, would you?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Real, Barca etc or probably more attractive at the moment, but the likes of City, PSG? I dunno, united is still a much bigger club. And imagine being the catalyst for the road bck to the top. That's a lot cooler than winning PSG's 74th Ligue 1 in a row.
Of course they are, especially City. Distinct footballing philosophy, modern tactics and they can sell their own narratives handsomely too. "Join us to win a record 4th PL title in a row or to be in the squad that will write history by winning the CL for the first time" sounds more appealing than "come here, we don't know exactly what we're doing but, hey, you could help us figure it out".

But our problem isn't how to sell a good story to up & coming players. We have the prestige and we don't lack the money, after all. And sometimes that's all it takes even if we have to put ridiculous wages on the table (and pay for potential the same money others pay for proven talent or give ludicrous deals to our existing "stars") just to prevent our top talent from seeking greener pastures. Plus, we still haven't reached the point of no return in our downward spiral. People may have stopped considering us serious title contenders but they're still keeping an eye on us to see if "we're finally about to turn a corner". There's still plenty of dynamic left, as a residue of our recent glory days, to make us attractive, especially to English players.

But, let's be honest with ourselves here, OT has been nothing but a footballing graveyard in the post-Ferguson era. It's currently the place where good footballers go to die. And this is sad when you look back at our club's rich history. When was the last time a player came here or rose through the ranks and improved (mentally, tactically & technically)? Pogba, Lukaku, AdM, Miki, Mata, Herrera, Lindelof, Fred... failed to turn them into the spine of a good side. How can we when we don't have a specific role for them? Solid PL players like Shneiderlin, Fellaini, Matic... they become hopeless once they wear the red shirt. As for young talents: Martial? Still trying to figure out his best position. Januzaj? Burnt out with no one to control his ego. Memphis? Had to leave in order to make a fresh start (imagine if he goes to Liverpool and thrives). Shaw? Still waiting for him to be fully fit. Bailly? Can't even get ahead of Jones in the pecking order. Hell, even Falcao left United and he has scored close to 100 goals for club and country in three seasons. Compare that to the time when even the likes of Phil Neville and John O'Shea were vital members of the squad with roles to play. Compare it to the time when United could afford Forlan the time he needed in order to flourish and eventually offer us some great memories. But that was a time when United didn't throw youngsters into the deep-end just to boast about their belief in youth. It was a time when United had a distinct way of playing the game (not innovative, but pretty distinguishable) so the players knew what was expected of them when they got the call from SAF.

So, yeah, City, 'pool, PSG, Spurs are a better proposition than us atm. You are N'dombele and you know exactly what your role will be in Spurs' midfield when Pochettino declares his interest in you. That's far more convincing than a trip to the United museum. We all laugh at PSG's shortcomings in Europe but when you take a closer look, you'll see that they have (or had) a bunch of players (Silva, Marquinhos, Verratti, Motta, Meunier, Cavani, Pastore, Matuidi, Rabiot etc.) who made their name and/or spent their best footballing years in Paris. There are one or two things they're doing right which is something we can't say for ourselves.

The good news is that nothing's set in stone and we still have the time and the money to get it right. Sorry about the rant too, it wasn't directed at you. It's just my opinion that belittling the accomplishments of the clubs without a big history means that we're burying our heads in the sand.

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

There are many reasons I as a neutral footballer would choose Manchester United. Not least:

• Financial - best supported club in the world = biggest merchandising possibilities
  • Playing time - guaranteed if I’m de Ligt or whoever, I’m going to start games.
  • Ambition - whatever anyone might think of us as a club right now, nobody can deny we at least have the ambition to get to the top
  • Stadium and support - might be a bit rickety but you’re going to play in front of 75,000 real fans (and not club released figures, City - I’m looking at you!) every single week
Yes our playing squad is a bit shit but if you’re a top player you back yourself to push us up the way, don’t you? I mean the last time we came second in England was a whole two years ago, and the last time we won a trophy was a whole 3 years ago.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Anyone following me know that I am hardly a top red. Having said that, I think that, in my opinion, United are the perfect employer

a- We tend to pay great salaries
b- We tend to renew contracts even to players who under perform
c- Star players who might be getting itchy about not winning enough are given ridiculous salary. If they still insist on leaving then the club would work out a way to let them go (Ronaldo etc)
d- Our supporters tend to have the most patient supporters on the planet (except with Pogba). I mean Jones is still tolerated despite not producing anything tangible for more then half a decade. At Real someone like him would be stoned to death
e- Anyone who runs a little is considered a legend (even Quinton Fortune)
f- legends are often kept way past their expiry date. You won't have that with most top clubs

The problem with football is that is dominated by young people with huge egos and little brains to match that ego. They think that they are invincible and nothing bad will ever happen to them. Therefore they don't need to think about the future as they believe that they will keep doing well up until they finally retire. Agents also play a big part of fueling ego as their agenda is to have players moving clubs on a regular basis so they can cash in on bonuses. Which is why they opt for clubs like Real with no care in the world that it only takes one mistimed tackle or a patch of bad form to turn a world class player into a burden everyone hates.

Its like of silly because players do get old and there are very few clubs who take care of players in decline as we do. No wonder why all of them wants to join us (Blanc, Sanchez, Bale, Ibra, Owen) while other regretted of leaving us (Beckham towards the end of his career, Ronaldo)

tomaldinho1

I'd say we've definitely sunk from that tier 1 type level (if a player is open to Manchester as a location, we are the top choice in the PL) to basically a great option in the PL.

Issue for us now is that if we want a player and he's open to Manchester as a location he is logically open to City and Liverpool who are both currently more attractive options. Success is the only thing that can change this.

Von Mistelroum

If I wasn't a fan then no. History doesn't mean a lot if you're not winning during your career at the club. I dare say we're a bit of a joke to many agents and top players due to the way we're run these days . The only reason to sign for United now would be money, or maybe a guaranteed starting place... But even then you might see yourself benched for Lingard or Young...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I mean, I'm all about my personal brand... and singing for United takes your personal fame to the next level around the world. So I would sign for United, get that sweet cash, release my own brand of pocket-squares, then feck off to the next club and win some trophies.

Players are professionals in their jobs. They want two things. Good money and to win trophies.
I think you are missing a vital point, which is, broadly speaking, a positive work environment. Winning trophies becomes irrelevant if you are an ambitious player who is warming the bench or even sitting in the stands. Trophies are only a consideration if the player is confident that he will be able to make a significant contribution or if the player is happy to just be part of the squad. You can work for a huge and prestigious company, which is making record profits, while at the same time being treated like dirt and doing boring, menial tasks. This is why you hear loads of players saying how the club they end up signing for has made them feel wanted the most or something to the effect. It might sound like a platitude, but there is a truth in it. Footballers, like anyone else, want to enjoy going to work, as stupid as it sounds.

I think there are many more nuanced reasons why a player might choose to sign for any number of clubs. Younger players might want to choose clubs that can give them the coaching, playing time and overall support network so that they can further their career, see Dembele or Sancho choosing Dortmund.

For this reason, I am sure that many players would jump at the chance to sign for United and it is up to the club to find among those attainable players the ones who have the right attitude and the right ability to bring the club forward.

However, at this point in time (literally this summer) I believe a world class player (or thereabouts) would have to be very cynical if he suggested that he would choose to sign for Utd over, say PSG, City or Spurs, on the basis of history, size of the club or any such nonsense constantly reitareted by fans. And we're not even talking about players who have the choice of other historically big clubs such as Barca, Real Madrid or Juventus. That is not saying that money is the only objective, it could equally be the role in the team, the expected playing time or even personal reasons.

Reactions: nimic

Kelly15

The history, the stadium, the fans. Imagine being told by sir Bobby C. "Welcome to Manchester." Or SAF. It would be amazing.

I never understood Ronaldo's fascination with Madrid. No offence but I wouldn't want to play for that crowd.

mancan92

Real, Barca etc or probably more attractive at the moment, but the likes of City, PSG? I dunno, united is still a much bigger club. And imagine being the catalyst for the road bck to the top. That's a lot cooler than winning PSG's 74th Ligue 1 in a row.
But if you were said player would you not look at the likes of Pogba who came back to that very thing and see how badly he is being dragged through the mud because of the absolute kak that is around him.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
I didn't expect this thread to grow so fast.

To all the people who write "this is Manchester United, amazing history, of course I would sign, it's a great club". You didn't get my first sentence and you wrote as United fans.

I simply don't get it, nobody chooses club because it's a great club and has a good history. Not anymore.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
99.99% of footballers don't care about history. They start to say some things about the history of the club they chose, because that's something what allows to buy fans immediately.
Nah not true at all. The history of a club is what builds the prestige and reputation of the club. You'll always have legends associated with that club. It takes a lot for it to become meaningless like Asron Villa/Nottingham forest now.

Do you think Klopp would have taken over Liverpool if they werent historically what they were but struggled for success in the recent past? Or countless examples of players. Real Madrid were a bit shite in Europe for years, and then Ronaldo leaves to go to them because historically they were the biggest football club in history even though we were one of the top 2 teams in Europe. Its naive to think it doesnt have an impact, because growing up, every player dreams of playing at the very top teams. The biggest clubs. They want to be able to say when they retire that they played for the biggest clubs. Of course, many want to create history for smaller clubs, but there's more draw for sure in joining the historically biggest club around and doing big things with them.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

To all the people who write "this is Manchester United, amazing history, of course I would sign, it's a great club". You didn't get my first sentence and you wrote as United fans.

I simply don't get it, nobody chooses club because it's a great club and has a good history. Not anymore.
I don't think you're wrong but our history also includes having some of planet earth's highest paid players on average. That is both an added advantage and a curse.

bosnian_red

It absolutely does happen. The history and size of the club has a very long lasting impact for a while, but eventually it does fade. But then again, liverpool havent won the premier league in 30 years, yet here they are, winning the CL for the first time in 14 years because they managed to lure top managers and players even though they were firmly mid table for most of the recent past before Klopp took over. Do you think Klopp would ever take over Everton? Leicester? Would those players leave those clubs for each other as a step up? No, they viewed Liverpool as a step up from clubs like those even though there wasnt much separating their recent past. Entirely because of history and size of the club.

TRUERED89

The history, the stadium, the fans. Imagine being told by sir Bobby C. "Welcome to Manchester." Or SAF. It would be amazing.

I never understood Ronaldo's fascination with Madrid. No offence but I wouldn't want to play for that crowd.
The same crowd that used to jeer and whistle at him, even being the GOAT doesn't spare you abuse from that fanbase. Good luck Pogba, I don't understand his fascination to go there either!

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’d sign for us because I know I’d earn twice as much here as anywhere else and I wouldn’t even have to play well for it.

If I wasn’t a fan then The history, prestige etc is worthless now. It means nothing anymore.

bosnian_red

If I'm a professional footballer, theres a good chance I believe in my own ability past what it actually is. If United go after me, a good chance that I view it as a project that I can go in and be the difference maker, set an example, be the main guy in the turn around to get the giant club back to the top. That puts yourself way more in history then being "one of the rest". Some players just want to move around and collect trophies from the biggest clubs even if they dont have a big role, which is fine too. But if you have a historically giant club like United, that still wins trophies pretty regularly, spends big money to try and get back to the top, and will give you the stage to lead them to the top, then that player will listen. We aren't as big of a draw as we were 8-10 years ago, but we're still up there with the top in the premier league and one of the top in the world.

In terms of rankings in the premier league, I'd say it goes:

Tier 1- Liverpool (narrow difference between tier 1&2)
Big history, great manager, great football, good money, and on the rise and just won a CL. Yet to win the premier league after 30 years, new signing could see himself as the missing piece and cement himself in history, etc

Tier 1 - City
Can pay big, best manager in the world (though likely short term), guaranteed trophies. Not guaranteed play time, not really going to be a signing that breaks any recent curse, they're already the dominant team in the league so more likely "one of the rest" rather than the new star to make a difference (as they need to maintain more than anything)

Tier 2 - United
Big money, massive global club, great history, can be the catalyst to revive the club and bring them back to the top and be compared with all time footballing legends. Cons - Question mark with Ole, recent past indicates instability, but footballers will generally think they can be the difference and lead them to the top.

Tier 3 - Spurs
Club on the rise, but not financially capable like the others. Historically smaller, no recent trophies, never really challenged for the title but making the CL final will help them. Very good manager, but again, no trophies will be a mark against him until he gets his first (if he doesn't leave Spurs by the time that happens). Stability, good play, lower expectations help though, but they just won't have the draw for the truly top players because of that.

Tier 3 - Chelsea
Club on the decline, just sold their star, not the biggest history and also seemingly not spending like they did 15 years ago. Still a big club, just not as big as the others.

Tier 3 - Arsenal
Bigger history, poor recent past, not much spending power for whatever reason. Still have a good reputation for player development, play style, not huge pressure but somewhat recent history of a bit club and modern football legends like Henry, or even Overmars like how De Jong recently said his career plan was Ajax - Arsenal - Barcelona, even though Arsenal hasnt been amazing.

If I include global football clubs, it looks like this:

Tier 1 - Real Madrid, Barcelona
Tier 2 - Liverpool, Man City, Bayern Munich, Juventus
Tier 3 - United, PSG
Tier 4 - Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal

We're only in tier 3 right now because we have Ole as manager and just finished 6th with lot of negative press. Normally in 2nd tier, in our prime at the back end of the top tier.

Foxbatt

I am rather surprised that some of you think that top world class players now think of United as a such attractive proposition. They do not and there are many reasons. I am United hardcore as anyone and since 1967 but we have to be realistic. Yes we have a rich History but it is this present that we have to be concerned about.
Lets be honest about it. When LVG took over, he was a top world class coach who has won the Dutch League, La Liga, Bundesliga and the CL. He had also just taken an unfancied Dutch side to third place in the World Cup, hammering the Champions Spain in the process. He has managed Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Then we had Jose who has also won the PL, Serie A and the CL twice. All top World class coaches. United looked attractive at that time. People have not really found out about the imbecile Woodward that much.
Now every Tom, Dick and Harry knows about Woodward and also United have an unproven coach who is a rookie compared to his competitors. Ole as a coach has not done anything. There is no attraction at this time for any player to be coached by Ole. Why should they?
United is not a sleeping giant. United is a giant that has lost his way and is going downhill fast. If we had appointed a reputable young world class coach then the potential for players to come to United would have increased a lot more. To make matters worse we also appointed Mike "balloon" Phelan as the assistant.
Just think rationally and not as fans of Manchester United.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
No atm I wouldn't join Man united over City, Liverpool, PSG, Barca, Real madrid, Bayern and Juventus.

Why? Well other than we might be able to give large wages and a rich history we are fecking shit. We are going into the 7th season even just struggling top make top 4 while all our star players want to leave, our owners don't to spend big and OGS is completely unproven at the highest level. Under SAF we were something else. At the moment we are the biggest joke in football. If I was a quality high profile player I wouldn't join this toxic atmosphere.

Irishman

You’re also spouting that it isn’t true with no credible source and it’s a bit naive to think that someone like Sancho would come out and actually say sorry they are not an option no champions league.

I’m sure Milan’s fans had similar thinking to yourself. People trying to look at the situation objectively can probably see we are in a bit of a situation but 1 good season and we could be heading in the right direction again.
Surely in order to substantiate whether a quote from a player is genuine you go and find the relevant source otherwise should we now all accept any old rubbish that the media peddle?

You seriously want me to prove that a rumour which is doing the rounds with no actual quote from Sancho is not true?

How on earth would that be even possible?

Do I contact Sancho directly myself and ask him?

Andersons Dietician

Surely in order to substantiate whether a quote from a player is genuine you go and find the relevant source otherwise should we now all accept any old rubbish that the media peddle?

You seriously want me to prove that a rumour which is doing the rounds with no actual quote from Sancho is not true?

How on earth would that be even possible?

Do I contact Sancho directly myself and ask him?
And there is lies the issue with what you previously said.

No one knows, everyone is guessing, sensible people understand that right now for the very best talents in the world moving to United is a risky move.

Eoin McMahon

I believe, that regardless of who we sign, who is sold and who will be playing for us at the close of this transfer window, there is no guarantees in football, or in any sport or in life in general.
We could have the best player for every position playing for us but that still wouldn't guarantee we would beat Wycombe at Old Trafford in the League cup simply because anything can happen in football. All we can do is do our best, reach our potential and push our limits. From the big names to the academy kids, if they are good enough for Man United then they belong at Man United.
Anyone could be a big name if they have the potential and the desire to be.

'If your good enough, then your old enough'

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I believe, that regardless of who we sign, who is sold and who will be playing for us at the close of this transfer window, there is no guarantees in football, or in any sport or in life in general.
We could have the best player for every position playing for us but that still wouldn't guarantee we would beat Wycombe at Old Trafford in the League cup simply because anything can happen in football. All we can do is do our best, reach our potential and push our limits. From the big names to the academy kids, if they are good enough for Man United then they belong at Man United.
Anyone could be a big name if they have the potential and the desire to be.

'If your good enough, then your old enough'
Oi oi oi...leave my other boys out of it

Eoin McMahon

Oi oi oi...leave my other boys out of it
All the best to Wycombe next season hope theirs no hard feelings I know deep down ye can improve on that 17th place finish from last season and Akinfenwa keeps bundling in the goals for you.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
All the best to Wycombe next season hope theirs no hard feelings I know deep down ye can improve on that 17th place finish from last season and Akinfenwa keeps bundling in the goals for you.
Ta - not so sure. We're seriously punching above our budget in league 1 - probably bottom 2 job.
Akinfenwa is 37 and still a key man to us!

This is why I never get "too down" with United - and why I'll never see 6th place in the Premier league as a "disaster".
Wycombe almost going non league / bust a couple of years ago, plus ongoing money issues is the real coal face!

Eoin McMahon

Ta - not so sure. We're seriously punching above our budget in league 1 - probably bottom 2 job.
Akinfenwa is 37 and still a key man to us!

This is why I never get "too down" with United - and why I'll never see 6th place in the Premier league as a "disaster".
Wycombe almost going non league / bust a couple of years ago, plus ongoing money issues is the real coal face!
Exactly we are oblivious to the struggles lower league teams face year in year out, battling through seasons and working on a shoe string budget. League 1 and 2 are very tough leagues to get promoted from with the sheer number of games and testing conditions throughout. If any of these clubs such as Wycombe got any sort of investment they would have a serious advantage over the rest of clubs like them.

So Sandikan you know what you need to do, invest every bit of money you have into Wycombe, become chairman of the club maybe even take the managerial reigns if you have time and that most importantly of all that you ensure in what could be the most moment in the history of Wycombe Wanderers is that Adebayo Akinfenwa get an improved 3 year deal.

Hughie77

OT, is still a big pull for any top pro, money now is more of a issue than anything, UTD have bags of history bags of class, players now sign for clubs for differing reasons?

Look at Ramsey, he's gone to Juve, another country and challenge for him along with top wages. He's done the English game.
We still have the pull, players go and have gone to City, PSG, Chelsea for money or lifestyle in there city's. Not Manchester mind although it is a top pull, but Paris, London different.

Running out at OT must be a phenomenal experience.

patty123

No atm I wouldn't join Man united over City, Liverpool, PSG, Barca, Real madrid, Bayern and Juventus.

Why? Well other than we might be able to give large wages and a rich history we are fecking shit. We are going into the 7th season even just struggling top make top 4 while all our star players want to leave, our owners don't to spend big and OGS is completely unproven at the highest level. Under SAF we were something else. At the moment we are the biggest joke in football. If I was a quality high profile player I wouldn't join this toxic atmosphere.

And what you think that happen overnight and when he first came he didnt give what was here a chance ? then replaced them with his first effort at throwing the kids in, which also failed miserably, and then went on a heavy spending spree and even then it still took a few yrs and a certain Frenchman and his swagger to gel it together.

because they managed to lure top managers and players even though they were firmly mid table for most of the recent past before Klopp took over. Do you think Klopp would ever take over Everton? Leicester?
Top managers you say, really like he took his first club down and walked when he couldn't get them back up and people slate Ole for that with Cardiff. Lets call a spade a spade here, as people take the mick out of the Scottish league for being two horse, is the German any different, as its always BM or BB. Top players you say are flocking to them, who ? As till VVD went there he wasn't considered much, same as Salah, so who are these top player, oh and they got their keeper, remember, because no one else wanted him, as the big two in Spain, one is chasing DDG how long, and the other replaced theirs with kids in terms of age for a keeper.

PeteManic

If I was a footballer, it would all be about location for me. Playing in the EPL wouldn't be my first choice, but if I had some offers, I'd choose a London club.

But all things being equal, Barcelona would be my first choice for a club easily.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
If I'm a professional footballer, theres a good chance I believe in my own ability past what it actually is. If United go after me, a good chance that I view it as a project that I can go in and be the difference maker, set an example, be the main guy in the turn around to get the giant club back to the top. That puts yourself way more in history then being "one of the rest". Some players just want to move around and collect trophies from the biggest clubs even if they dont have a big role, which is fine too. But if you have a historically giant club like United, that still wins trophies pretty regularly, spends big money to try and get back to the top, and will give you the stage to lead them to the top, then that player will listen. We aren't as big of a draw as we were 8-10 years ago, but we're still up there with the top in the premier league and one of the top in the world.

In terms of rankings in the premier league, I'd say it goes:

Tier 1- Liverpool (narrow difference between tier 1&2)
Big history, great manager, great football, good money, and on the rise and just won a CL. Yet to win the premier league after 30 years, new signing could see himself as the missing piece and cement himself in history, etc

Tier 1 - City
Can pay big, best manager in the world (though likely short term), guaranteed trophies. Not guaranteed play time, not really going to be a signing that breaks any recent curse, they're already the dominant team in the league so more likely "one of the rest" rather than the new star to make a difference (as they need to maintain more than anything)

Tier 2 - United
Big money, massive global club, great history, can be the catalyst to revive the club and bring them back to the top and be compared with all time footballing legends. Cons - Question mark with Ole, recent past indicates instability, but footballers will generally think they can be the difference and lead them to the top.

Tier 3 - Spurs
Club on the rise, but not financially capable like the others. Historically smaller, no recent trophies, never really challenged for the title but making the CL final will help them. Very good manager, but again, no trophies will be a mark against him until he gets his first (if he doesn't leave Spurs by the time that happens). Stability, good play, lower expectations help though, but they just won't have the draw for the truly top players because of that.

Tier 3 - Chelsea
Club on the decline, just sold their star, not the biggest history and also seemingly not spending like they did 15 years ago. Still a big club, just not as big as the others.

Tier 3 - Arsenal
Bigger history, poor recent past, not much spending power for whatever reason. Still have a good reputation for player development, play style, not huge pressure but somewhat recent history of a bit club and modern football legends like Henry, or even Overmars like how De Jong recently said his career plan was Ajax - Arsenal - Barcelona, even though Arsenal hasnt been amazing.

If I include global football clubs, it looks like this:

Tier 1 - Real Madrid, Barcelona
Tier 2 - Liverpool, Man City, Bayern Munich, Juventus
Tier 3 - United, PSG
Tier 4 - Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal

We're only in tier 3 right now because we have Ole as manager and just finished 6th with lot of negative press. Normally in 2nd tier, in our prime at the back end of the top tier.
God help us all!

More tiers!
Nice post btw

Amir

And what you think that happen overnight and when he first came he didnt give what was here a chance ? then replaced them with his first effort at throwing the kids in, which also failed miserably, and then went on a heavy spending spree and even then it still took a few yrs and a certain Frenchman and his swagger to gel it together.
Aye, but if you look at the years prior to Cantona's arrival, there were quite a few moments of progress. Yes, There were lows between finishing second in 1988 to winning the FA Cup in 1990, but prior to the summer of 88 and after the summer of 1990, there was reasons for optimism. While we needed Cantona to finally win the league, the previous couple of years were also very good and we looked to be gelling, winning the CWC and almost winning the league. If we can start doing that again - playing good football, showing progress - we'd become more attractive to players even without winning something big.

Foxbatt

Spot on Amir. Fergie had already broken the Glasgow monopoly and he had won the Cup Winners Cup with Aberdeen beating Real and I think even Bayern on the way. He did win a few domestic trophies with United and again the Cup Winners Cup beating Barca led by Johan Cruijff. So Fergie had a reputation. The manager plays a very important part also. Ole is nothing compared to any top managers right now. At the moment in time there is nothing to show that he may be a top class manager. In time he may be and then if he is here the situation will change.

lysglimt

Scout
I think the original post is trying to show just how far we've fallen in the last few years in relation to if we did want to sign the best players or to keep hold of our own best players the appeal of Man United is nowhere near what it was and it is disappointing to see players we show interest in and want to keep at the club preferring moves to the clubs mentioned above. Most of the clubs you mentioned have the history, can offer the wages, have C.L and have managers who are far more appealing than Ole at the moment. It's something we just have to get on with and should use this as motivation going forward.
We have fallen sure - but some people are trying to make it sound like we only can sign c-rated players. 4 out of 5 players will prefer Barca or Real to us right now. But if Barca, Real or Juve isnt interested in a player, I think we can match practically all other clubs in pulling power.

AkaAkuma

There are 10 top level teams in Europe of which we float around in that. We aren't options for the very top players at their peak, but depending on timing (getting in early, lack of rival bids) and circumstance we can sign the best up and coming players.

I don't think anything has changed in that regard since fergies era. Perhaps there are now 4 more attractive clubs than previously.

TRUERED89

Chance to actually win the top prizes?
Yes certainly, but if he's upset about that one fan in the crowd on the last day of the season hurling abuse at him, he hasn't seen nothing yet! Just wait for Madrid fans to get hold of him..

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If I were a young player, like De Ligt, for example, I would go to a club where I know I can get 1st team football and learn from the best. If I have other offers, I would definitely not join MUFC.
Of course, in 3-5 years, when my contract with the club I am with is coming to an end, I'd re-assess MUFC. I believe De Ligt, Sancho and maybe Pulisic, shared this view.

Had Jose or any other top manager stayed, it would be a different story, but given that we have Ole (who has a reputation akin to David Moyes, in World football), I'd hold fire.

Regarding being the "catalyst" to the road back to the top: Pogba tried this and you can see how that is working out.

I do realise that most of us who post on here are fans of the club, but realistically, we are not going to be winning trophies for at least a year. Footballers who want to join us, are almost certainly aware of this, which is why they are looking at other offers.

Some people have also posted that we are more attractive than MCFC - assuming we offer the same wage, most players would choose MCFC.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Yes certainly, but if he's upset about that one fan in the crowd on the last day of the season hurling abuse at him, he hasn't seen nothing yet! Just wait for Madrid fans to get hold of him..
My friend, all players who have joined Real Madrid have not regretted it.
Top players like Ronaldo, Bale, Owen, etc, all wanted to stay in Madrid, for as long as they could. And this was after the abuse suffered at the hands of the demanding RMFC supporters.

To say that MUFC has better fans and that is why players should choose MUFC is ridiculous (assuming that is what you are implying).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My friend, all players who have joined Real Madrid have not regretted it.
Top players like Ronaldo, Bale, Owen, etc, all wanted to stay in Madrid, for as long as they could. And this was after the abuse suffered at the hands of the demanding RMFC supporters.

To say that MUFC has better fans and that is why players should choose MUFC is ridiculous (assuming that is what you are implying).
Absolute nonsense.

Although it’s also irrelevant to the point being made, so not a lot of point getting hung up on this.