Television We didn't all go to Gudger College

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I'd find this more funny if I remembered the episode/scene. Silly memory, you. :(
Cape Feare, S05 E02 - the episode where Bob keeps stepping on rakes. Loads of great scenes in that one with Homer entering Bart's room brandishing a knife, Bob's tattoo in the court scene ("no one who speaks German can be an evil man") and other stuff. That screencap is where Homer is being given a new identity but struggles with it (hence the "I think he's talking to you") bit.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That's when Apu lost his job I think. Home with a giant hat with camera in it.
When he went to live with The Simpsons?
Cape Feare, S05 E02 - the episode where Bob keeps stepping on rakes. Loads of great scenes in that one with Homer entering Bart's room brandishing a knife, Bob's tattoo in the court scene ("no one who speaks German can be an evil man") and other stuff. That screencap is where Homer is being given a new identity but struggles with it (hence the "I think he's talking to you") bit.
Sounds familiar now! :lol:

I really need to go back and watch the classics again. I used to binge the season 2-10 boxets (including rewatching them with the commentary from the writers etc) but haven't watched them in years. I honestly enjoyed every ep from everyone of those seasons.
Guess not. I have Yagami's memory. :cool:
Hey, you're not that bad! At least you remembered the scene itself :D

lsd

The Oracle
Haven't watched for a while just went through season 30 storyline to pick an episode and every second episode seems to be a Lisa storyline

Maybe this is why it's not as good now when you keep making stories about the most boring character

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Haven't watched for a while just went through season 30 storyline to pick an episode and every second episode seems to be a Lisa storyline

Maybe this is why it's not as good now when you keep making stories about the most boring character
I don't think that's true. Some of the all time classics revolve around Lisa. The decline in quality is all encompassing; Homer is absolutely unwatchable in newer episodes.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I found a Facebook page with a load of brilliant old Simspons clips. Brings back some memories.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I still treasure the seasons from the mid '90s, when Homer finally got the spotlight and the series became an excellent/smart/funny american satire.

I dislike the early Bart-oriented seasons (juvenile and, in my opinion, ugly-dated visually) and the dip in quality the series suffered after the late '90s. The series never truly adapted to the post 9/11 world, the freshness was gone and the episodes became dull quickly. The Simpsons should be remembered as a Bush/Clinton satire. I know many people who jumped ship and went to South Park / Family Guy.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I still treasure the seasons from the mid '90s, when Homer finally got the spotlight and the series became an excellent/smart/funny american satire.

I dislike the early Bart-oriented seasons (juvenile and, in my opinion, ugly-dated visually) and the dip in quality the series suffered after the late '90s. The series never truly adapted to the post 9/11 world, the freshness was gone and the episodes became dull quickly. The Simpsons should be remembered as a Bush/Clinton satire. I know many people who jumped ship and went to South Park / Family Guy.
The decline started pre-9/11, in my opinion. Season 12 was the step too far and that aired in 2000.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom

The decline started pre-9/11, in my opinion. Season 12 was the step too far and that aired in 2000.
Is it possible to suggest that The Simpsons were overrated because of the time the show became popular in? Not exactly the peak entertainment era. Like I just finished watching the latest season and I love the ever improving animation (HD anyone) and find the topical nature charming. It's nothing special and after initially thinking those advocating for the show's cancellation were on to something I've come around to just letting it be, passable undemanding content.

Last edited:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Is it possible to suggest that The Simpsons were overrated because of the time the show became popular in? Not exactly the peak entertainment era. Like I just finished watching the latest season and I love the ever improving animation (HD anyone) and find the topical nature charming. It's nothing special and after initially thinking those advocating for the show's cancellation were on to something I've come around to just letting it be, passable undemanding content.
Seinfeld
Friends
Frasier
Becker
Everybody loves Raymond
The Sopranos

I can keep going but i'd say that mid to late 90's TV was actually a golden age.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Like I just finished watching the latest season and I love the ever improving animation (HD anyone)
The "improvements" to the animation and HD-ifying is one of the worst bits to me

I genuinely find it horrible.

I know that's just one bit, but once it the animation started changing, even if technically it was better I felt it lost lots of the charm it had.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Seinfeld
Friends
Frasier
Becker
Everybody loves Raymond
The Sopranos

I can keep going but i'd say that mid to late 90's TV was actually a golden age.
More examples of what I mean. The environment in which those shows were created and largely existed in enabled for them to become so highly regarded. I just think it has become harder and harder to grab that many people's fancy. Those shows would struggle to make that kind of impact today I reckon.