Kick-off
Tue, 14 September 2021 @ 5:45pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

There is no reason to make wholesale changes.

We need to start strong and get a win vs the weakest team in the group.

This is the CL. We can't get knocked out in the groups again.

Cantonagotmehere

I posted this in the CL Draw Thread after being ask to give a bit of insight into Young Boys, so will post it in here too for those who're interested.

In general it's an interesting club. It starts with the hilarious fact for english people that the club really is called Young Boys and on top of that their Stadium is called "Wankdorf". This was already mocked in 2018 in here and I'm sure will be the case this year as well :lol:

The club is based in the capital city of Switzerland and has a huge fanbase with a whole region behind it. Nevertheless, they didn't win anything for over 30 years before 2017/2018 and got mocked in the whole country for squandering chance after chance to do so in a sometimes hilarious way.
    But with winning the Swiss "Super League" (yes it really is called like this) they finally won the first title after over 30 years in 2017/2018 and never looked back. With very good squad and financial management and clever transfers they've won every title since then.

They also played very good football under former manager Gerardo Seoano, who moved to Bayer Leverkusen this summer. It was high press, high intensity football with a lot of chances created and a lot of goals scored. I haven't seen enough of them since the start of the current season, but the choore of the team remains the same and with David Wagner (ex Huddersfield & Schalke) they have an experienced manager in charge now. From what I have seen, they play a bit more conservativ, posession based style under him so far, but as I said, haven't seen enough yet to have a definite opinion.

As for the players, it's a good mix between homegrown and foreign players. They have three players who got a call-up for the swiss-national team for the current break in Fassnacht, Aebischer and Zesiger. They have a fair few good, rapid foreign forwards/wingers in Jordan Siebatcheu (plays for the US national team), Meschak Elia (plays for Kongo) or Nicolas Ngamaleu (plays for cameroon). Their topscorer of the last two seasons Jean-Pierre Nsame (also cameroon) is currently injured. I'm not sure if he will be fit for any of these games as he torn his achilles tendon in May. But even withouth him, these forwards are certainly good enough to make the difference in Switzerland. And they have the quality to be dangerous in this group as well.

If we get our shit together, we will beat them comfortably in both games. But if we don't, we could be in for a surprise. I also wouldn't be surprised if they give a good fight to Atalanta and Villareal and even get something out of this games, especially in the home games. (The atmosphere in a packed Wankdorf can be electric.) But all in all, I think they will be too fragile defensively for the quality in this group and will go out bottom of the group. I will certainly root for them when they play Villareal and Atalanta though.
    Thanks for this.

iKnowNothing

Agree with the idea of playing the strongest team. Start with the strongest team and if the win is all but secured, give minutes to others. No way Ronaldo starts from the bench for this.

Pronewbie

Peep
    Wouldn't mind resting Bruno for this game and give lingard/vdb a run-out. They're more than capable replacements for the calibre of opposition. Didn't Bruno play all 3 games for Portugal? He's always gone off the boil at the end of the season. Ole needs to manage his minutes better.

Lindelof needs match fitness and could come in for Harry/Varane as the decrease in quality is nowhere as bad as Tuanzebe.

Once we've secured 12 points we can go all out in resting the first-team.

Bondi77

Give Bruno a rest in this one and Ronnie too.
    We are playing away from home so we can expect the home team to be positive so it would be a good game for Jesse or VDB to get time in the middle to show their worth.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
    First off, they play in a plastic bucket. Only good for the ankles of plastics. Our okd and infirm, or delicate houseplants need to be spared this. Thus no
    Ronnie or Edinson
    Matic
    Harry or
    Bruno.

I’d love to rest PP too.

Hendo/Dave
    AWB - Lindelof - Varane - Wilson/Telles
    Fred - Donny
    Sancho - Jesse - Martial
    Greenwood

Red the Bear

Something less generic
    First off, they play in a plastic bucket. Only good for the ankles of plastics. Our okd and infirm, or delicate houseplants need to be spared this. Thus no
    Ronnie or Edinson
    Matic
    Harry or
    Bruno.

I’d love to rest PP too.

Hendo/Dave
    Fred - Donny
    Sancho - Jesse - Martial
    Greenwood
    Risky risky risky
    That midfield is unproven and could result in a disaster and Ronaldo will want to start no matter what

Momentum is important and we want to keep it high so will have to go in with a top squad

If Scott is available I go
    Awb varane Harry shaw
    Mcfred
    Mason Bruno pogba
    Ron

Strelok

I remember saying that before that game in Turkey last season, and then after that game, I never said it again.
    Same here :lol:

I still remember an instance in that match which made me realize how slow DVB is. He was chasing an Istanbul player and the more both run, the further that player got away. And that player was nowhere near being fast tbh.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
    We should rotate, not to rest first XI players, but to start involving players like van de Beek, Lindelof, Telles, maybe even Williams seeing AWB form etc. We will need them through the season.

Andersonson

We need to play a few in form and Bruno/Ronaldo must continue to work on the partnership

Dalot Maguire Lindelof Shaw
    McT Fred
    Bruno
    Sancho Martial
    Ronaldo

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
    Stevenage
    We need to play a few in form and Bruno/Ronaldo must continue to work on the partnership

Dalot Maguire Lindelof Shaw
    McT Fred
    Bruno
    Sancho Martial
    Ronaldo
    Bruno gets burnt out and it's awful what happened last year, we need to learn and manage Ronnie's game time too, we also need those fringe players to be fit and match ready if someone is injured from the first XI so it's not just about out first team, we need to use those players, I would use this:

Dalot Lindelof Telles
    McFred
    Diallo VDB Elanga
    Martial

If we aren't ahead by 60 min we can bring on Ronnie, Cavani, Bruno etc but most importantly we are letting players have a chance to fight and show what they can do.

kirk buttercup

We should rotate, not to rest first XI players, but to start involving players like van de Beek, Lindelof, Telles, maybe even Williams seeing AWB form etc. We will need them through the season.
    Williams plays for Norwich doesn't he ?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
    Bruno gets burnt out and it's awful what happened last year, we need to learn and manage Ronnie's game time too, we also need those fringe players to be fit and match ready if someone is injured from the first XI so it's not just about out first team, we need to use those players, I would use this:

Dalot Lindelof Telles
    McFred
    Diallo VDB Elanga
    Martial

If we aren't ahead by 60 min we can bring on Ronnie, Cavani, Bruno etc but most importantly we are letting players have a chance to fight and show what they can do.
    :lol: an injured player and 8 others! Masterful!

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Dalot Lindelof Telles
    McFred
    Diallo VDB Elanga
    Martial

I agree with the sentiment, but i would not do a wholesale change like that. Thats basically a whole new XI from the one we used in the league and despite Young Boys not being the best opponentes its still the CL and we need to make sure we get the 3 pts

If its a deadrubber game, by all means, send out the reserves, but not now

Alemar

Ronnie or Edinson
    Matic
    Harry or
    Bruno.

I’d love to rest PP too.

Hendo/Dave
    Fred - Donny
    Sancho - Jesse - Martial
    Greenwood
    Who is Wilson at LB?

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
    Those hoping for / expecting full rotation are going to be disappointed. Crucial to get off to a winning start in the group - we don't play again until Sunday (with our opponents playing away in Europe on Thursday night). We can rest players in the League Cup game next week. He will go strong with maybe 1 / 2 changes. My prediction:

DDG

AWB
    Varane
    Maguire
    Shaw

Fred
    Pogba

Greenwood
    Bruno
    Lingard

Ronaldo

Stevondo8

Are you still allowed 5 subs in european matches?

What I expect to see…couple of changes, then pile on the subs 2nd half

Henderson
    AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    Fred Pogba
    Greenwood Bruno Jesse
    Ronaldo

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    We play CL football Tuesday at 18:45 and then will play a very difficult game at West Ham on Sunday, so 4 days rest before that, so no way we rotate massively for this one.

I would like to play Mc Fred for this one, but think they will be more than needed on Sunday.

Also, there's a chance Lindelof plays this one as rotation continues with Varane.

---------------------------------------------De Gea----------------------------------------------
    Wan Bissaka-----------------Maguire-----Lindelof----------------------------Shaw
    --------------------------------------Pogba--------Matic---------------------------------------
    Greenwood----------------------------Bruno-------------------------------------Sancho
    ----------------------------------------------Ronaldo----------------------------------------------

Then hope that Ole uses the 5 changes if we win the game with the likes of Martial, Jesse, VDB, Fred and Dalot to come in.

kirk buttercup

Oh good to know, transfer window is hibernation time for me, so I missed it. Dalot it is then.
    Tbh I was questioning it myself I had a small recollection of him moving. I think this game is another great chance to Gel the team. I would say very little changes maybe give some time to VDB and Possibly Cavani ( if available ) Sancho needs more time and Varane and Maguire get another chance to Solidify their partnership.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
    ..............VS...............

Date: Tuesday, September 14 2021
    Kickoff Time: 1745 Hrs BST
    Venue: Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, Bern

Champions League form guide

Manchester United:
    BSC Young Boys:

Previous Meetings

Manchester United 1—0 BSC Young Boys

BSC Young Boys 0—3 Manchester United

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 2
    BSC Young Boys wins:
    Draws:

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

David Wagner

Team News

Manchester United

Marcus Rashford, Alex Telles, Dean Henderson and Phil Jones ruled out. Scott McTominay and Edinson Cavani doubtful.

BSC Young Boys

Fabian Lustenberger, Jean-Pierre Nsame, Esteban Petignat, Joël Monteiro and Nico Maier ruled out.

Know the opposition

Berner Sport Club Young Boys, commonly known as Young Boys of Bern or Young Boys, nicknamed Die Gelb-Schwarzen (Yellow and Blacks) and abbreviated to YB, is a Swiss sports club based in the capital city Bern. One of the most successful club in the nations, Young Boys have won 15 Swiss league championships and 6 Swiss Cups, and in 1957, they were named the Swiss team of the year. Young Boys is also one of the most successful Swiss football clubs internationally, and reached the semi-finals of the European Cup in the 1958–59 season.

The club was founded on 14 March 1898 after a game of football with the Basel Old Boys Association playing against FC Bern as Fussballclub Young Boys by brothers Max and Oscar Schwab, Hermann Bauer and Franz Kehrli — who were studying at the University of Bern. The slightly older FC Bern submitted an offer to the YB leadership to provide grounds, changing rooms, and equipment if these students would play as a team affiliated with FCB with Young Boys still retaining their own leadership and statutes. In 1925, the association's name was changed from FC Young Boys to Berner Sport Club Young Boys. This year was also the last game on the old Spitalacker-platz as in October, the new Wankdorf Stadium by the architects Scherler & Berger was opened with a tournament. It was attended by the Old Boys from Basel, Servette Geneva, and the Young Boys.

Young Boys enjoyed their most successful period between 1957 and 1960 under German coach Albert Sing, when it won the title four times in a row and reached the semi-final of the European Champion Clubs’ Cup (now the Champions League). Young Boys's biggest rivals are FC Thun, FC Basel 1893, FC Zürich and Grasshopper Club Zürich. They play their home games at Stade de Suisse Wankdorf.

Referee

Aristotelis Diamantopoulos.​
    Need to set a precedent for this season with a thrashing to show we are game this season. We cannot allow what happened last season to happen again. But with Ronaldo I would say it shouldn't.

My Team for Tomorrow:

De Gea
    Dalot Varane Maguire Shaw
    VdB Pogba Bruno
    Greenwood Ronaldo Sancho

Come on Reds!!!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
    The idea that starting Cavani over Ronaldo will be catastrophic :lol:

That's exactly why we've got them both, so that they can be well rested and ready to play at their best when called upon. They're both top 5 strikers in the Prem still, more than enough to deal with Young Boys, and if they have an off day the other is on the bench anyway!

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    You dont win anything with young boys.Looks like a good chance for Jesse and DVB

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
    Stevenage
    :lol: an injured player and 8 others! Masterful!
    Who is injured? I thought Telles was back in training with Scott now?

I agree with the sentiment, but i would not do a wholesale change like that. Thats basically a whole new XI from the one we used in the league and despite Young Boys not being the best opponentes its still the CL and we need to make sure we get the 3 pts

If its a deadrubber game, by all means, send out the reserves, but not now
    Fair point, I would definitely look to rest Bruno, Shaw & Ronaldo at the very least.

Real Name

One or 2 changes max. Ronaldo must start, he needs a string of games, no need to rest him right away. Maybe rest Bruno and one more player like Varane, not cause Varane is injured but to give Lindelof some game time. We need a good start in this.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
    Who is injured? I thought Telles was back in training with Scott now?

Fair point, I would definitely look to rest Bruno, Shaw & Ronaldo at the very least.
    Amad and Telles is only just back in training.

We would be at high risk of dropping points with that line up regardless (not just because we aren’t fielding 11 players).

prateik

Lindelof, Bailly, Dalot, McT, Fred, VdB, Lingard, Martial, Cavani.. None of them started the last match and any of those could make a case for getting minutes.. Then there are Elanga and Hannibal who should be involved more this season at some point.. probably not in this game.

And the player/coach/mentor/nice guy Mata will be on the bench too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 280 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Young Boys win
  • Draw