Kick-off
Tue, 14 September 2021 @ 5:45pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Flytan

I hope this isn’t serious. So he made a substitution and that person made a huge mistake and that’s on the manager. Well good thing he started Ronaldo because he scored.
    Seeing as it was a player he handpicked to stay after pretty much everyone had accepted he was leaving, yes, he does share responsibility.

ManUnitedCanuck

Seeing as it was a player he handpicked to stay after pretty much everyone had accepted he was leaving, yes, he does share responsibility.
    That is a massive stretch. A player made a mistake, so any time there is a mistake in a match it’s on the manager because they are the ones that chose them to be on the pitch.

Whether he was leaving or staying has no bearing. He’s a professional athlete that made a very poor decision at a crucial time.

yipthatman

Sometimes, you just lose. It doesn't always have to be someones fault. Mistakes are as much a part of sport as getting everything right. They played the game of their lives and we were a bit sloppy. We will bounce back big time after this.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
    Supports
    Crusaders FC
    Full member now, eh? Good for you ;)
    On this account yeh :lol::D :p

Just waiting for my big promotion to scout now. If it took the scouts this long to promote a high quality poster like myself, then I really do have concerns on the quality of the scout network in place at RedCafe.

oreon

It’s absolutely true that ultimate accountability falls on the manager. But surely it must also be true that Ole isn’t responsible for the red card and the horrifying back pass.

But I do agree that fielding a weakened side backfired on us. It sent the message that we’d walk in our sleep against this opponent, which in fact is exactly what happened. But in the end Wan-Bissaka and Lingard gifted the result away.
    Because of the talent disparity even when you are man down, they should won the game. He failed to make the right adjustments so the team can gain control of the game. They didn't, they sat back and tried to run out the clock. He was poor today.

It's one game so there's no need to panic. But Ole has been bad in European football. We have lost to teams that we should not. I do expect them however to bounce back and win the group. If they don't make it past group and then Ole has to go

lilcurt

We had control of the game when it was 11 v 11. We were comfortably 1-0 up while creating chances with Ole's tactics for the first 30 mins. We went too defensive for my liking in the second half but even then we made a chance for Ronaldo for which the penalty wasn't given. Our midfielders constantly try flicks or keep the ball too long to get out of pressure instead of just buying a foul or passing it back quickly. We simply do not have a single capable CM in the entire squad. The players will have to take responsibility alongside the coaching staff.
    I agree on the whole. However I think with top quality coaching our midfield and game management would be far better. Our midfielders all look better for their countries and become clueless at club level.

Not that I want him, but give Conte this squad and we would comfortably boss most games.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
    Supports
    Crusaders FC
    Worst thing about tonight's game was when I was in Lidl and heard some fella on his phone go, "1-1? They're down to 10 men too aren't they".

And suddenly the realisation hit me that Man Utd may of kicked off early because I swear we've had early kicks offs before against the swiss. And I only got to see the last 10 mins in the end.

Which leaves me to ask. Am I right in thinking everytime a Swiss side is at home in Europe it's an early kick off? What's this all about when other countries in later time zones still kick off around 8 ok.

I f**cking hate Swiss football me. Don't care what anyone says they're corrupt to the core, probably cause FIFA hq is there. I've held this opinion since they cheated us (NI) out in the WC playoff final and nobody will change my mind.

SirAnderson

Worst thing about tonight's game was when I was in Lidl and heard some fella on his phone go, "1-1? They're down to 10 men too aren't they".

And suddenly the realisation hit me that Man Utd may of kicked off early because I swear we've had early kicks offs before against the swiss. And I only got to see the last 10 mins in the end.

Which leaves me to ask. Am I right in thinking everytime a Swiss side is at home in Europe it's an early kick off? What's this all about when other countries in later time zones still kick off around 8 ok.

I f**cking hate Swiss football me. Don't care what anyone says they're corrupt to the core, probably cause FIFA hq is there. I've held this opinion since they cheated us (NI) out in the WC playoff final and nobody will change my mind.
    Uhm, the other group game started the same time...in Spain.

United Hobbit

It's a split in the fan base. You have the realistic people who see Ole for what he is, a nice guy and a club legend but a terrible manager. He can build a squad but he can't coach to save his life and he apparently can't bring in intelligent assistant coaches to do his job. He should have never been given the job permanently. Then you have the other side who remembers him scoring the most important goal in club history and won't even pretend to judge him fairly.
    Completely agree with this.

This just yet again shows that going defensive is f##king stupid. It so rarely works. I've lost count of the number of times in recent years that I've seen Ole, Jose, Southgate and other managers try to hold a result and screw up.

Having more defenders doesn't help stop goals the way it used to. Back in 4-4-2 days the extra head would stop the cross or maybe the through balls, but now football has greater interchange and more chance for a quick snapshot goal that changes the game.

Its time to delete the stats that suggest going defensive gives you the best expected outcome.
    Exactly, I'm sick of us clinging on desperately for half the game employing the sort of tactics small clubs do, it invites pressure. If he could coach ball retention as well that would be super. So often in big games we can't keep the ball, I'm not expecting prime Barcelona but as soon as we get it, we lose it

Tonight's game gave me the slight sense if Ole doesn't sort things out, he could lose the dressing room eventually. We now have winners in the squad and some with strong mentality, which is great, but those players want to win things, not have the mindset of a Burnley

Hughie77

Everything after the red is on him. He set up the team to just sit and hoof it back to YB. zero shot attempts after the red. ZERO ATTEMPTS. Not shots on goal, but attempts. A decent little chunk of this too is after they get the equalizer. Conceding the midfield and just bringing a back 5 doesnt make you stronger defensively. Very poor tactical knowledge from Ole being shown.
    Ok only Matic we had in CM and if going by the majority on here hes got no legs, so when he brought him on was at the right time. We did have Bruno , pogba and Fred who could have played narrow as well. Playing the back 3 with the the wing backs to make 5 was correct. And was working fine errors cost and the other cm he could change was Jesse and proved it was working ok but another error . Who was to shore up the CM ? Who was to give way? Easy sitting in the house.

Achilles McCool

"Many men, many many many men." :wenger:

But for real, go ahead, make an SA Out thread, while I'm just a PE teaching Jinxer, there are at least 2 world class jinxers that can replace me. @Achilles McCool (Pep level Jinxer) or @No Idea For Nickname (Klopp level Jinxer)
    People need to realize the absolute magic that Sir Anderson has performed during past games where we got the results when the odds were against us!
    Sir Anderson for President!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Dvdb plays and we lose to a bunch of nobody's.

Coincidence?? :nono:

:)
    He does strike me as having the worst luck ever.

Finally gets a start with a strong team around him, then that dozy plonker WB gets sent off.

He suspects his number is coming to be yanked off, and amazingly it's not him.

Then only lasts another 5 or so mins before coming off at half time. Can't make it up.

Scholesgoals

YB have thrown on several youngsters, they are dominating us. Whats your point?
    they have 11 men and don't have the players we do?

if you're down to ten men you don't throw on an inexperienced youngster. you also don't expect fecking lingard to do that... or maybe you do

cyberman

How was the push on Ronaldo not a pen? Ronaldo not having the legs anymore doesn’t mean to ok to push him over. fecking BT sport ref showing the profession up

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    He does strike me as having the worst luck ever.

Finally gets a start with a strong team around him, then that dozy plonker WB gets sent off.

He suspects his number is coming to be yanked off, and amazingly it's not him.

Then only lasts another 5 or so mins before coming off at half time. Can't make it up.
    If I ever meet him, I’m going to ask him to list 43 different numbers between 1 and 49… then pick the other 6 for my lottery ticket.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
    This is literally placing all responsibility on one man for every action of a player of Manchester United in the future. Every action he undertakes on and off the pitch is because of the manager.

Seems reasonable. No one is responsible for their actions, just the man in the dugout.

hobbers

Do you honestly think Ole is an elite coach? Because the manager of Manchester United should absolutely be an elite coach. Ie top 5 in the world.
    Plenty of non elite coaches would cope a lot better going a man down while a goal up away in Europe.

Without sitting 6 of their 10 players so deep the team cant even get out of their own third for 45 minutes.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
    Genuine question - do we lose that game with SAF in charge?
    We lost plenty of weird games with SAF in charge. Or snagged points against bad teams with a last minute goal.

Do we lose THIS game with SAF? No way to know that. The actions he'd take isnt the same as Ole so the result wont be the same. Maybe we win 3-1, maybe we lose 1-5, conventionally called the Butterfly Effect. All it takes for SAF to change the outcome of the game entirely is to sub Jesse Lingard on 1 second later.

Like we don't lose, because JEsse doesn't come on when he does to award Young Boys the goal. Then again neither do they if you are the manager.

croadyman

It's a split in the fan base. You have the realistic people who see Ole for what he is, a nice guy and a club legend but a terrible manager. He can build a squad but he can't coach to save his life and he apparently can't bring in intelligent assistant coaches to do his job. He should have never been given the job permanently. Then you have the other side who remembers him scoring the most important goal in club history and won't even pretend to judge him fairly.
    Yeah that sums it up perfectly

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    Saw this on twitter with a picture of money heist:

Young Boys: “How are we supposed to beat Man Utd? They have Cristiano Ronaldo…” The manager: “That is where Lingard comes in.”

croadyman

Manager is just not on same level as some of our players. What on earth has Lingard, Matic, Dalot, Martial done in this game since coming off the bench? Bring on players that are not hungry on the pitch, what a joke.
    Yeah you got it absolutely bang on there sadly

croadyman

My TV died, I've just seen the goal, absolutely PATHETIC from Jlingz why did we not sell him. Ronaldo looked like he wanted to murder someone

What even possessed him to do that? Absolutely speechless

Absolutely raging
    Because our prattish board priced him out of a move

MrBest

they have 11 men and don't have the players we do?

if you're down to ten men you don't throw on an inexperienced youngster. you also don't expect fecking lingard to do that... or maybe you do
    Never say never, it has been done before. Lingard is useless, martial off form for icer a year now, why can u not throw on an attacker who can penetrate the back line. We had 2 shots at goal today, we needed something unpredictable.

MrBest

We were not rubbish from the start at all, that's utter nonsense.

We were completely in control until the red card, and Ole opted to sure things up and rightly valued experience over youth given the atmosphere and hostility.
    We had 2 shots, both before 25 mins. We spent 120m in the summer, two started. We had millions of pounds of other talent on the pitch, and we couldn't even break down the defence more than twice over 90. We were rubbish from the start, started slow and on back foot. YB high pressed us everywhere, we couldn't deal with it and we didnt change anything. Passing the ball around between maguire and lindeloff, then to pogba and bruno, but not getting the ball to Ronaldo is an embarrassment. I may have this stat wrong, but i counted ronaldo had touched the ball three times before he scored. Is that what you define as not rubbish? The whole game was a joke and led by bad management, complacency. The red card did interfere, i wont deny that, but 2 shots before that? If we are going to do something this year, we have to be 100% better than today.

Im not going to start shouting Ole is out, but come on, we have to recognise rubbish when we see it. Im sure the next game will be different, but today was awful and we didn't turn up.

The Hilton

We had 2 shots, both before 25 mins. We spent 120m in the summer, two started. We had millions of pounds of other talent on the pitch, and we couldn't even break down the defence more than twice over 90. We were rubbish from the start, started slow and on back foot. YB high pressed us everywhere, we couldn't deal with it and we didnt change anything. Passing the ball around between maguire and lindeloff, then to pogba and bruno, but not getting the ball to Ronaldo is an embarrassment. I may have this stat wrong, but i counted ronaldo had touched the ball three times before he scored. Is that what you define as not rubbish? The whole game was a joke and led by bad management, complacency. The red card did interfere, i wont deny that, but 2 shots before that? If we are going to do something this year, we have to be 100% better than today.

Im not going to start shouting Ole is out, but come on, we have to recognise rubbish when we see it. Im sure the next game will be different, but today was awful and we didn't turn up.
    You're mixing up 2 topics here, I know we were rubbish going forward after the red card, but before we were cruising to a simple victory. We could and did easily deal with their pressing up until the red card. We were on top and in complete control. You keep focusing on shots as if we should be shooting on sight - there's no need to, especially not away in Europe where passing the ball around while leading is the ideal way to quieten the fanatical home crowd.

MrBest

You're mixing up 2 topics here, I know we were rubbish going forward after the red card, but before we were cruising to a simple victory. We could and did easily deal with their pressing up until the red card. We were on top and in complete control. You keep focusing on shots as if we should be shooting on sight - there's no need to, especially not away in Europe where passing the ball around while leading is the ideal way to quieten the fanatical home crowd.
    I am not confusing two issues, i said before the red card Ronaldo touched the ball a few times in 25 mins and we couldn't penetrate.

Ill leave you to live in your bubble where everything is all dandy. Ciao.

lex talionis

Because of the talent disparity even when you are man down, they should won the game. He failed to make the right adjustments so the team can gain control of the game. They didn't, they sat back and tried to run out the clock. He was poor today.

It's one game so there's no need to panic. But Ole has been bad in European football. We have lost to teams that we should not. I do expect them however to bounce back and win the group. If they don't make it past group and then Ole has to go
    I question whether any “right adjustments” were available to Ole at halftime.

That said, I have serious concerns about club management which chose not to sell Lingard and chooses to spend 35m for a player the manager rarely plays. And because of that we didn’t have the funds needed to buy a proper CDM, a player who would have been in the precise spot on the pitch where Lingard was when he gifted away the match winner.

But in the end we would have all been relieved to walk out of the Wankdorf with a 1-1 draw given what Wan-Bissaka (we need to start thinking about upgrading on him) but Lingard shat his pants and here we are now. Those two mistakes are on them, not the manager. But it may well be on Ole that he put us in the position of having to rely on Lingard and that is truly shambolic.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 280 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Young Boys win
  • Draw