Young Lions 2018-2019

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
U21
England 0-0 Netherlands*
Latvia vs England

*That was the first time since 30 consecutive games (Qualifiers and friendlies) that they have failed to win a home fixture.....a 2-1 defeat against Iceland in March 2011 has started the run.

U20
England 2-0 Switzerland
Netherlands vs England

U19
England 4-1 Netherlands
Belgium vs England

U18 (Tournament in France)
England 3-0 Netherlands
England 3-0 Russia
England 2-1 France

U17 (Tournament in Poland)
England 6-0 Norway
England 2-1 Portugal
England vs Belgium

Games: 8
Wins: 7
Draws: 1
Loses: 0
Goals: 22-3

Classical Mechanic

1 Chelsea player in the U18s? Pfft!

Anjorin went to school with my nephew. He's a monster.
He’s really good, has good technique. Is he of Colombian heritage?

@Sean_RedDevil

Where are the match details for the final u18s game, can’t find it anywhere? Shame that Greenwood and Jones didn’t go to the Euros with that squad in the summer because I think we would have won the tournament if they did.

Chilwell and Gray have been promoted to the senior squad, thry both looked a level above against Holland the other day. Think Chilwell should start, can’t see why Rose should start over him.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He’s really good, has good technique. Is he of Colombian heritage?
I'm pretty sure his dad is from Poole and his mum is Nigerian. He's born and raised in dorset. He is massive for a 16 year old. Always a good chance his physical gifts will make him shine at youth level and then kinda fade with the grown ups.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
1 Chelsea player in the U18s? Pfft!

Anjorin went to school with my nephew. He's a monster.
Two after Mola was called up for the injured Amaechi.
@Sean_RedDevil

Where are the match details for the final u18s game, can’t find it anywhere? Shame that Greenwood and Jones didn’t go to the Euros with that squad in the summer because I think we would have won the tournament if they did.

Chilwell and Gray have been promoted to the senior squad, thry both looked a level above against Holland the other day. Think Chilwell should start, can’t see why Rose should start over him.
Netherlands
http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/sep/05/double-dutch-050918

Russia

France

Bola

I'm glad Chillwell and Grey got a late call up to the u-21s due to injury. I think Rose is past his peak, so Shaw and Chillwell would be a great duo for the foreseeable future.

I'm less sure about the role of Grey in the squad. I see him more of a Winger, so he would have to adapt to a central position if he is to fit into to current system. While I'm glad he got a call-up, I think Maddison is more deserving due to his form starting from last season and England's need for more Central Attacking Mid talent.

Alli was poor again yesterday (a trend from the world cup), while Lingaard is inconsistent. With no other natural attacking mids in the squad it's crying out for Maddison to have a chance. Even if he's not starting, I'd prefer him in the squad to Lallana who Southgate is showing too much loyalty to - good a few seasons ago, past his best and a sicknote now.

Reactions: Penna

Classical Mechanic

I'm pretty sure his dad is from Poole and his mum is Nigerian. He's born and raised in dorset. He is massive for a 16 year old. Always a good chance his physical gifts will make him shine at youth level and then kinda fade with the grown ups.
There are a few like that in that group but I had him down as a good technical player as well.

@Sean_RedDevil

Cheers. Good to see the three United lads heavily involved in winning the mini tournament.

The current U17s are supposed to be a really good group too, United tried and failed to sign a few of them this summer. Haven’t seen much of them yet. United’s Mengi started in the semi final win against Portugal.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
There are a few like that in that group but I had him down as a good technical player as well.

@Sean_RedDevil

Cheers. Good to see the three United lads heavily involved in winning the mini tournament.

The current U17s are supposed to be a really good group too, United tried and failed to sign a few of them this summer. Haven’t seen much of them yet. United’s Mengi started in the semi final win against Portugal.
Match details here

So many great names :lol:

Classical Mechanic

United wanted Bondswell and Mighten this summer. I think we were looking at Madueke too. Bondswell went to Leipzig, Mighten stayed at Forest and Madueke went to PSV.

The young players are starting to realise that moving to a big club probably won't be best for their development. The plethora of players in the current England side that came up through the lower league route hints that the way big clubs operate might actually harm their development.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I'm glad Chillwell and Grey got a late call up to the u-21s due to injury. I think Rose is past his peak, so Shaw and Chillwell would be a great duo for the foreseeable future.

I'm less sure about the role of Grey in the squad. I see him more of a Winger, so he would have to adapt to a central position if he is to fit into to current system. While I'm glad he got a call-up, I think Maddison is more deserving due to his form starting from last season and England's need for more Central Attacking Mid talent.

Alli was poor again yesterday (a trend from the world cup), while Lingaard is inconsistent. With no other natural attacking mids in the squad it's crying out for Maddison to have a chance. Even if he's not starting, I'd prefer him in the squad to Lallana who Southgate is showing too much loyalty to - good a few seasons ago, past his best and a sicknote now.
Puel has played Gray as a striker all preseason and he started there against Liverpool, he regularly talks him up as a striker now, he seems to want to do to Gray what Wenger did to Henry (not comparing ability before anyone starts) and a lot of Gray's attributes lend them self to that position, Gray got the call up because he was already with the U21s Chilwell was close to being ion the squad before it was named so his inclusion is not a surprise to me

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Smiths and Jones’ will feature a lot less in future generations.

I think the influx of players with some different backgrounds will only benefit the team, as even those raised here still often have some different qualities.

Classical Mechanic

Smiths and Jones’ will feature a lot less in future generations.

I think the influx of players with some different backgrounds will only benefit the team, as even those raised here still often have some different qualities.
Smith-Rowe and Curtis Jones are exciting prospects!

I know what you mean though, there are a few with Latin and Iberian heritage coming through, hopefully they bring some of that style with them like Gomes does.

Utdstar01

We are blessed with some real talent through all age groups. Great to see.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Re Tino Anjorin, I asked my nephew today and I got it the wrong way around. His dad is Nigerian and his mum is English. His dad is a massive football and liked Asprilla. He also has a younger brother whose first name is Zico!

Utdstar01

Re Tino Anjorin, I asked my nephew today and I got it the wrong way around. His dad is Nigerian and his mum is English. His dad is a massive football and liked Asprilla. He also has a younger brother whose first name is Zico!
Football literally ingrained into him then :)

Classical Mechanic

The U21 won a poor game away to Latvia 1-2

Very much in pole position to win the group over Holland and auto qualify for the u21 Euros this summer.

the u17s thrashed Belgium 6-2 in the final of their mini tournament in Belgium. They were winning 5-1 at half time and made a raft of changes.

Could be another special group coming through.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

Classical Mechanic

Mason Greenwood not making any of these squads?
Greenwood is generally regarded as the best player in the current u18 squad, he scored for them in the first game this break. They won a mini tournament consisting of Holland, Russia and France. They won all three games. Garner is the captain of the side and Laird is a regular. I’d say they are in the top 3 sides in Europe in that age group.

The group under them that could perhaps be as good as the recent U17s WC winners only has one United player getting regular minutes and that is Mengi who is a CB.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Greenwood is generally regarded as the best player in the current u18 squad, he scored for them in the first game this break. They won a mini tournament consisting of Holland, Russia and France. They won all three games. Garner is the captain of the side and Laird is a regular. I’d say they are in the top 3 sides in Europe in that age group.

The group under them that could perhaps be as good as the recent U17s WC winners only has one United player getting regular minutes and that is Mengi who is a CB.
Ah missed him in the squad list due to being listed with the midfielders.

Classical Mechanic

England u19 beat Portugal away 4-1

There was no Sancho or Foden but the side was still very strong. Angel Gomes started. The big news for England was that Felix Nmecha played as he’d been called up for Germany too for this set of fixtures so it’s a strong indication he could stay with England now. He’s a really good prospect.

Foden will start for the u21 this evening.

Classical Mechanic

U17s looking great so far

21s beat Scotland 2-0 with Nelson scoring a great free kick

Overall a great international break for England.

Utdstar01

England looking seriously good from u17 and upwards. Really promising times.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
That would be my current squad for the Euros in Italy & San Marino next summer.

Goalkeepers
Henderson, Gunn & Woodman
Defenders
Alexander-Arnold, Wan-Bissaka, Gomez, Clarke-Salter, Fry, Chilwell & Maitland-Niles
Midfielders
Cook, Davies, Winks, Loftus-Cheek, Maddison & Mount
Attackers
Calvert-Lewin, Solanke, Lookman, Gray, Sessegnon, Nelson & Sancho

Other options
Kenny, Tomori, DaSilva, Onomah, Foden, Barnes & Abraham
U17s looking great so far

The quality of the squad is outstanding :drool:

Last edited:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Lots of quality young talent coming through, there are exciting times ahead for the English national team.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
That would be my current squad for the Euros in Italy & San Marino next summer.

Goalkeepers
Henderson, Gunn & Woodman
Defenders
Alexander-Arnold, Wan-Bissaka, Gomez, Clarke-Salter, Fry, Chilwell & Maitland-Niles
Midfielders
Cook, Davies, Winks, Loftus-Cheek, Maddison & Mount
Attackers
Calvert-Lewin, Solanke, Lookman, Gray, Sessegnon, Nelson & Sancho

Other options
Kenny, Tomori, DaSilva, Onomah, Foden, Barnes & Abraham

The quality of the squad is outstanding :drool:
No Smith-Rowe?

Classical Mechanic

The u16s beat France 3-1 the other day with highly rated dual nationals Karamoko Dembele (Scotland, Ivory Coast), Louie Barry (Ireland) and Charlie Patino (Spain) playing. All worth keeping an eye on.