Youngest Starting PL Team on Opening Weekend

IrishRedDevil

24y 227d - The average age of Manchester United's starting XI against Chelsea is 24 years and 227 days; the youngest of any team in the opening round of the 2019-20 Premier League season. Dawn.

cyberman

5 of our front 6 were acadamy graduates.
Its something to be proud of.

Revan

Assumptionman
To be fair, I was a bit surprised that it was this high, thought that it was even lower. De Gea was the oldest at 29, after him are Pogba and Maguire at 26, and I think that all the other starters were under 25 years old.

Pretty amazing, this bunch of players might become really good.

Mr. Meeseeks

No Greenwoood, Gomes, Chong, Garner or Levitt either. I am starting to trust the direction the club is taking..
youcuntwinanythingwithkids

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Good god I hate the way Opta Twitter posts end with a single word every damn time. Wankers.

redsunited

Lingard was our oldest outfield player in the starting XI. Should have been given the armband ;)

Nick7

To be fair, I was a bit surprised that it was this high, thought that it was even lower. De Gea was the oldest at 29, after him are Pogba and Maguire at 26, and I think that all the other starters were under 25 years old.

Pretty amazing, this bunch of players might become really good.
You're forgetting young whippersnapper Lingard. He was our oldest outfield player I believe.

sport2793

Pretty impressive to have the youngest XI with one of the better results against another top 6 side. Dawn of a new age.

Full bodied red

You beat me to it.

I was going to post on the Post Match Thread that if this team ' clicks ' then we might be in for a good ride because it is really a very promising and young group of players that could stay together for five years or so.

Good times ahead, I hope....

witchtrials

Maybe this is a pointless stat but it occurred to me during the game that 9 out of our starting 11 (and 2 of our 3 substitutes) all made their United debuts below or at the age of 21 (Maguire, Lindelof and Mata being the exceptions).

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Couldn't have said it better myself! It's annoying as feck! Unanimity.
Wasting one of my 3 posts to reply to this. Funny.
You two shall be my apprentices. I can't be bothered reading your names so Nessa Devil or whatever your name is shall now be known as Pidgy Two and Reditis shall be known as Maximus Decimus Meridius Husband to a Murdered Wife Father to a Murdered Son and I Will Have My Vengeance In This Life Or The Next.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
You two shall be my apprentices. I can't be bothered reading your names so Nessa Devil or whatever your name is shall now be known as Pidgy Two and Reditis shall be known as Maximus Decimus Meridius Husband to a Murdered Wife Father to a Murdered Son and I Will Have My Vengeance In This Life Or The Next.
As you command, and here arth thou it shall be known that each of my 3 allotted daily posts shall be in worship of Ser Pigeon from now and indeed for the remainder of time. Awooga

Reactions: Carolina Red
Just a random name you thought of, eh? :nono:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Good god I hate the way Opta Twitter posts end with a single word every damn time. Wankers.
:lol:

You've just done the same. Putting that single word at the end of your post. Genius.

Lam

Let's not forget DDG, Shaw and Martial came in at a young age in addition to the academy players.

One thing which I feel will happen is we will be a more disciplined and hard working group. I think Ole has gone in for British talent for two reasons:

1. They will appreciate the 'English way' of playing - that is the blood and thunder style - understand the fact that fans want hard work and 100% effort...show this and get them fully behind the team

2. Manager first - SAF always insisted on this - this I think is generally accepted by the British players. So Ole would be able to stamp his authority at the club

PS - I'm not British but I too feel that this is the right culture for Man Utd. Every team thrives under a certain environment and I feel (just a hunch) that this will be the right one for us. We got in so many good players under LVG but it just did not work out. Same for Mou. Let's see how this team shapes up.

RC89

I wonder what the finishing average age was. Mata would have raised it but with James and Greenwood on...

Ace of Spades

We have a lot of young talented players, would have been great if the olders players were a bit better.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Quite often this season, our oldest starting XI outfield player will be Paul Pogba. That's amazing.

Lentwood

I genuinely think this is the way forward for the club in this post-TV deal mega money era. There's no point trying to beat City at their own game so let's do something different.

If we can keep introducing a couple of graduates to the team every season, along with cherry picking one or two of the best available players from the PL we should be in a very strong position in three years

I am sure many will disagree but I personally would happily take finishing 2nd with a team of 7/8 Academy graduates than being taken over by the Saudi's, spending £1BN and winning the league

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7

De Gea (28)
Wan-Bissaka (21)
Lindelof (25)
Maguire (26)
Shaw (24)
McTominay (22)
Pogba (26)
Pereira (23)
Lingard (26)
Rashford (21)
Martial (23)

Other integral players who could start to make it even younger include: ...Tuanzebe(21) ...Dalot(22) ...Fosu-Mensah(21) ...Bailly(25) ...Fred(26) ...James(21) ...Greenwood(17)

You can already begin to see the next generation of United unfold before our eyes. Despite the fanbase being unhappy at the lack of midfield additions, I’m certain whenever that’s addressed it will be within the similar current age range. Ole has said it will be a long term plan and only players who fit that plan will be brought - not forced. United being linked to Sancho next summer and this summer to players like Bruno/Dybala, you can see the big picture / next core group. Slowly but surely.

So yea in the meantime, just look at that current average age! Ole being ballsy not including the likes of Smalling/Jones in the squad. You can tell he means business and isn’t messing about!