Your expectations of this season?

soapythecat

Whilst I think the league is for City to lose, I expect United to be better than last season with better results against teams we dropped silly points last season. I imagine Sánchez and Pogba to be more consistent and Fred to be a good signing - these will improve the quality of our football.
It’s going to be a really tough league given the potential of Liverpool,AFC and CFC.
I expect a better title challenge this season and further in UCL - we have the players.

San Diego Red

• 66 points (14-15) 69 points (15-16) 81 points (17-18) this season 86 points.
• GF 49 (14-15) GF 54 (15-16) GF 68 (16-17) GF 74 this season
• style of play 14/15 season boring
style of play 15/16 season slow
style of play 16/17 season frustrating
style of play this year resilient

Bestietom

Know better after Thursday's deadline. We still need a few players, IMO. FB and a winger should be tops.

Mainoldo

Win the champions league after Mourinho gets sacked in January and the boys start playing like we know they can.

Woziak

Whilst I don't subscribe to the idea that we can win the PL or the CL this season, I genuinely don't think the squad is as bad as most are predicting. City will not get 100 points again, the premier league will not have a team that finishes 7th by scoring less than 40 goals.
Teams like West Ham, Fulham, Wolves, Leicester, Palace, Southampton and Everton should improve considerably in the middle third taking more points from the top 6.
  • The Winners of the PL will finish on 87 to 92 points
  • Sanchez will be exceptional early season for United
  • United will hopefully sign Toby Auderweireld on deadline day
  • Martial reluctantly stays
  • Chelsea, Liverpool, City and United will be involved in a 4 way battle to win the PL, providing one of the most exciting in recent history.
  • Rashford will start to mature with better decision making and end product
  • Zlatan will resign in the winter window for 4 months
  • We will finally start to resemble a Mourinho side, very difficult to play against, ruthless on the break with an impregnable defence and a mobile physical midfield unit.
  • Pogba will come back late, Raiola will cause trouble then he will settle down and have his best season for the club
  • Our under 18 team will continue to do well and win the Northern League again
  • Our under 23 team will struggle mid table in division 2
  • Our ladies team will start well then struggle probably top 6 in division 2
  • We will sign a completley marginalised Gareth Bale in the January Window for £70M after he is injured again and hardly plays for Madrid
  • Andreas Pereira will have a breakout season and be listed for Young premier league player of the year
  • We will conceed the least goals in the PL
  • We will win the league cup again
  • The football will improve but not enough for the purists resulting in the board and Jose deciding on a parting of ways at the end of the season.
  • United will finish 3rd with 84 points

Bestietom

We scored just 68 goals last season compared to City's 106. We were the lowest scorers in the top 4, so we need to improve here.

We conceded just 1 more than City. We need proper attacking full backs and a winger more than we do a CB, IMO.

Todd

With the injuries and players that are going to be given matches off due to the World Cup (which is completely ridiculous) I think we're going to struggle early on.

I don't see us replicating a 2nd place finish this season. Might have a fight to finish top 4 to be honest.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We scored just 68 goals last season compared to City's 106. We were the lowest scorers in the top 4, so we need to improve here.

We conceded just 1 more than City. We need proper attacking full backs and a winger more than we do a CB, IMO.
The transition from defence to attack certainly needs improvement. The addition of a ball-playing centre-back will go some way to rectifying this problem, which is why Jose is seemingly fighting tooth and nail to acquire one.

Rory 7

I think we will put up a proper title challenge for the first time in 6 years. Sanchez and Pogba we be lauded for taking the step up we needed, Fred will be a revelation and Lukaku will score 25+ in the league. Our ability to win in the big games will be key and we will go unbeaten until well into the season.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I expect us to make a proper title challenge, reach the quarters in the CL and go far in one of the cups.

Bestietom

Well Mourinho will certainly want to win some trophies, so I would say any of the cups to be our best bet.

Dolf

We will win more games against the lower teams but loose more to top 4.
We will be in a battle for 2nd place and just miss out in the last weeks.

cyberman

I'm pretty optimistic.
I think Jose has nailed how to play v the top sides and that could get easier with a ball carrying CM in Fred and Toby at the back.
Apart from Liverpool, its not as if our rivals have changed how they'll set up next year.
If Pogba and Sanchez kick on we'll be in great shape. If not, I see frustrating points dropped v lower sides with a comfortable 2nd place finish.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Being realistic, I think we'll be pretty similar. There's absolutely nothing to suggest anything else. Fred will hopefully improve us a bit, but he's not gonna change our wingplay, or the cbs booting it at every opportunity, and it doesn't look like we're gonna be closing teams down to grab the ball back like other teams with more intent to score.
Liverpool will look a better unit, but Salah not scoring as many will harm them. We'll be in a battle with Liverpool for second, who will push City for first for a while. We'll end up 4th.

LeftyBlaster

Being realistic, I think we'll be pretty similar. There's absolutely nothing to suggest anything else. Fred will hopefully improve us a bit, but he's not gonna change our wingplay, or the cbs booting it at every opportunity, and it doesn't look like we're gonna be closing teams down to grab the ball back like other teams with more intent to score.
Liverpool will look a better unit, but Salah not scoring as many will harm them. We'll be in a battle with Liverpool for second, who will push City for first for a while. We'll end up 4th.
Pretty much.

midnightmare

The feck! We'll surprise a bunch of folks, including the moaners on here.
1. Sanchez will be a revelation to those that are writing him off - expect him to challenge for the Golden Boot
2. Lukaku will step up yet again as he does season after season; 25 or so goals from him as well
3. We'll see a massive uptick in midfield; our options are far superior; Pereira will start well and become a regular - we'll see Pogba step up too
4. Defence will be strong again, as is normal for a Mourinho team; we'll see this stay

We'll do far better against the teams we failed to break down last time given the better MF options; indeed, if you study pre-season, just having Pereira running saw us score a couple from the right against RM, despite having Darmian at RB! Against the top teams, we did very well last season already and we'll only improve as their "open" styles will suit us brilliantly in Jose's system.

Overall, league prediction - First; or a close second

CL - will be tough here, but feel QF/SF is doable for us.

If we add a CB / FB / RW or more than one of these, then I'd be very confident indeed about our chances of winning major trophies.

Now get off yer rears and start bellowing support for the boys!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Expectations? Very low from what I’ve made of pre season and the negativity surrounding it all.

The squad is a good one but Jose’s demeanour and attitude around it is demoralising both the players and supporters. Yes there has been praise but it’s faint and condescending st the best of times.

The first game or two will determine how the season is going to go IMO. I think I’ve been patient and supportive of him but he’s failing to get the best out of some talented players. I see us behind City and Liverpool in style and probable achievement and the season hasn’t started yet.

If I’m honest I’d rather we got rid of him sooner rather than later and put Michael Carrick in temporary charge. At least he’ll be true to Utd principles

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'll be shouted down but I don't see how we can mount a challenge when other sides have strengthened and bought better than we have. Plus City aren't going to suddenly fall apart. A mighty struggle to finish top four is my opinion, based on 50+ years of seeing great and poor United teams

IRELANDUNITED

We'll win the league, win the FA cup, semis of the Champions League and early exit from the league cup.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
1. Sanchez will be a revelation to those that are writing him off - expect him to challenge for the Golden Boot
I don't see how he'll challenge for the Golden Boot if he's not the main striker. Surely Lukaku would be a more likely candidate? Sanchez is proper quality though.

We'll do far better against the teams we failed to break down last time given the better MF options; indeed, if you study pre-season, just having Pereira running saw us score a couple from the right against RM, despite having Darmian at RB!
Those goals as I recall had nothing to do with Pereira, and in fact were both created by Darmian, whom you disparage. Nevertheless agree that players like Pereira and Fred should theoretically help us be more potent in attack.

Against the top teams, we did very well last season already and we'll only improve as their "open" styles will suit us brilliantly in Jose's system.
"Brilliantly" is a stretch. Jose's system can generally cope with their aggressive attacking styles, and the grit that our players showed in the 2nd half of last season can help us come out on top. I think that is also to Jose's credit.

ErranMorad

As things stand now: Jose's general demeanor has been a downer throughout this pre-season with each press conference more depressing than the last. We need to make some moves and cheer him up. That's the only way to raise expectations.

Last edited:

jamiemb

Honestly, I expect us to seriously challenge for and possibly win the league this season. Reason being, I think for Mourinho to go three seasons at United without at least almost winning the title would be a failure of sorts. Also expecting at least UCL quarter-finals. Our most exciting players this season will be Pogba and Sanchez; I can't see us getting anywhere further than last season if they don't perform seriously well.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
• 66 points (14-15) 69 points (15-16) 81 points (17-18) this season 86 points.
Had Jose been allowed to sped, I would've agreed with you. In fact, had he been allowed to spend, I'd put us as title favourites.
Given the lack of transfer activity and that we are going into the new season with a squad which is a year older than last year - I think 75 points would be an excellent points haul for us.
The board have clearly settled for a top 4 finish and are not willing to fund a title challenge.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Honestly, I expect us to seriously challenge for and possibly win the league this season.
I don't question Jose's ability to win the league, but do you believe that this squad, containing the likes of Young, Valencia, Jones, Smalling and Lingard (as first team players) are good enough to beat MCFC and LFC to the title?
Be honest.

lysglimt

Scout
For the first time in almost 30 years I am convinced Liverpool is better than us - it's a horrible feeling.

Eddy_JukeZ

For the first time in almost 30 years I am convinced Liverpool is better than us - it's a horrible feeling.
You weren't convinced they were better than us in 2013-2014?

Or do you mean prior to a season?

9 Stone Elvis

Nope. All Liverpool have done is buy some players. The jury is as much out on them as it is on us. Ive seen plenty of seasons where Liverpool had done theoretically very well and it all go pear shaped on the pitch. Lets not give them credit until they actually earn it.

Tyrion

I expect him to win the title or at least mount a serious challenge, and a much better run in the CL.

I think neither of those will happen.
Agreed. There were improvements in the 2nd season compared to the first but near the end of the 2nd and over this summer, he's become extremely negative and seems to have started burning down the bridges he's actually standing on (I.e. Woodward and the players).

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
  • If we can transition faster from defence to attack, we will score more than then 60+ we did last season. We will be a better version of a Jose team. Solid in the back and robust going forward.
  • Coming 2nd next season will be like winning silverware as I assume that we have knocked the Scousers off their expected perch considering how well they have bought this summer/2018 in general.
  • In a domestic cup final, and winning it. QF of the CL.
  • Jose leaving at the end of the season.

Touseef

Nope. All Liverpool have done is buy some players. The jury is as much out on them as it is on us. Ive seen plenty of seasons where Liverpool had done theoretically very well and it all go pear shaped on the pitch. Lets not give them credit until they actually earn it.
Well I'll argue their last season was better than ours

Last edited:

L1nk

1. The football will be as dire as ever, i don't expect us to be turning any heads in this department after 2 seasons, certain to entertain nobody.

2. We'll be in a scrap for a position in the Top 6 most likely, Top 4 maybe.

3. Barring some miracle in the transfer market where we bring in more than a DC, a complete 180 change in the way a lot of our players play or the way our team plays we will absolutely not compete for the title or the CL, though I suspect we will have a decent domestic cup run in, which one I don't know.

4. Not only Fullbacks being an issue yet again because we really just havent sorted it out, unless Dalot can establish himself and hit the ground running (unlikely) but also a complete lack of right side threat again because it seems we are going to continue to leave a massive hole in RW for another season, which is bordering on negligent at this point.

5. Mourinho will likely have a spectacular falling out with someone, although I'd prefer this didn't happen this season just has an ominous feeling surrounding it regarding Mourinho and his future here.

6. Fellaini will play a much more important role in the team, I feel like the contract we gave him was stupid to give to a backup and we gave it to him because Mourinho has bigger plans for him this season and see's him as integral.