Gaming Your Favourite Boss Battles

Moby

Dick
Goes without saying that this thread will have massive SPOILERS so continue reading at your own risk.

Probably people can start their posts with the name of the game and name the boss later in the post, and preferably use spoiler tags.

So having just finished Bloodborne,
I loved these: Ludwig, Gehrman, Father Gascoigne. Even though I got Ludwig in 2nd attempt. The mid-fight cut scene and change up was awesome. Yet to fight OoK.

Hollow Knight:
Grimm/Nightmare King
Radiance - it is pretty fun once you get the rhythm.
But easily my favourite since I first fought them - Mantis Lords. Haven't reached Sisters of Battle yet.

God of War:
Sigrun
Gondul

Persona 5
Futaba's Palace was awesome.
But the best one BY FAR was Niijima's palace.
Yaldabaoth had an epic finale.
Also the Raphael, Gabriel and Michael on the run to Yaldabaoth were epic. The last hour of that game is legendary.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Always enjoyed the MGS ones.

I remember the one against the guy on roller-skates, and Vamp too. They were always interesting and required some working out. Psycho Mantis of course.

Xeno

Ruby WEAPON from FFVII.
Dr Robotnik in Sonic.
Streets of Rage.

And a very obscure one - G. Ceara from Super Monaco GP II

Bosws87

Psycho mantis original metal gear solid.

/thread

lady butterfly is probs the best in modern times start off getting slaughtered and by the time you complete it, you have basically been taught all the mechanics of the game.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
In a Crusader Kings 2 save I had a Europe spanning Empire just about set up (after 15 hrs gameplay) when I caught my wife and son plotting to assassinate me so he could take over. Joke was on them as I caught wind of it and executed her and castrated and sent him to the priesthood. My only heir? No problem, just need a new wife and a kid and....
oh, what's going on down there...

STD derived sterility in CK2 is the undefeated boss. Also, CK2 is insane.

AaronRedDevil

Metal Gear Solid 4. Snake vs Liquid/Ocelot. 2 old ass men kicking the shit out of each other and stabbing each other with adrenaline needles because they have respect for each other, also while 4 different epic songs from each other the previous MGS games play in the background. I'm sorry but there's simply no boss battle, that's Done so beautifully. "You're pretty good"

Hell you could pick about 3 others from 4 alone.

Mike Smalling

In a Crusader Kings 2 save I had a Europe spanning Empire just about set up (after 15 hrs gameplay) when I caught my wife and son plotting to assassinate me so he could take over. Joke was on them as I caught wind of it and executed her and castrated and sent him to the priesthood. My only heir? No problem, just need a new wife and a kid and....
oh, what's going on down there...

STD derived sterility in CK2 is the undefeated boss. Also, CK2 is insane.
I had never heard about that game, but it sounds like something I need to try :lol:

Moby

Dick
Shit I forgot one. The Goro Akeichi one from P5 is absolutely brilliant, especially given the whole backstory before it.

Mike Smalling

The learning curve can be steep but an absolute gem of a game. I don't even want to check what my Steam hours are on CK2.
That's fine. I got into playing Civilization 5 during lockdown, and that was also quite a steep learning curve. While it is satisfying to nuke both your enemies and allies, that game has a distinct lack of STDs.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think all bosses in BB are brillant but especially lady maria and orphan of koz. In DS3 i think the lady in the dlc is the best boss. In Sekiro its genichiro.

Moby

Dick
I think all bosses in BB are brillant but especially lady maria and orphan of koz.
I am going to fight both of these very soon. Currently smashing the man who fecked it all up - Laurence - who also happens to be my favourite character in the game. Also yet to do a few of the dungeon bosses which I've heard are great but can feck you up. Like feck facing Rom in a closed room, or even Amygdala who I smashed in one go in the main game.

Your username is pretty awesome as well. I've backed up my save just before I can fight him just so that I can do that fight over and over again. :lol:

Gehrman

I am going to fight both of these very soon. Currently smashing the man who fecked it all up - Laurence - who also happens to be my favourite character in the game. Also yet to do a few of the dungeon bosses which I've heard are great but can feck you up. Like feck facing Rom in a closed room, or even Amygdala who I smashed in one go in the main game.

Your username is pretty awesome as well. I've backed up my save just before I can fight him just so that I can do that fight over and over again. :lol:
I chose this username because of the final boss, but I regretted it immediately and now I'm stuck with it.

Gehrman

Just like Gehrman was/is stuck in the Hunter's dream.

Also, did you not fight Moon Presence?
On further playthroughs I did. It's probably might favourite ever game. The dungeons suck though but are kind of necessary to get strong enough. The only flaw of the game.

Irwin99

The End in MGS3 was always a favourite. Don't think I've ever had another sniper battle like it in terms of size of the map and the tension; you can wait or search the forest for ten minutes and suddenly realize you're probably on the wrong screen :lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Major spoilers for FFVII (PS1)

For me the Jenova Life boss fight after Sephiroth kills Aeris is an amazingly emotional fight. The way the soundtrack keeps rolling never fails to get to me.

Moby

Dick
Major spoilers for FFVII (PS1)

For me the Jenova Life boss fight after Sephiroth kills Aeris is an amazingly emotional fight. The way the soundtrack keeps rolling never fails to get to me.

Need to start playing the PS4 remake at some point.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Always enjoyed the MGS ones.

I remember the one against the guy on roller-skates, and Vamp too. They were always interesting and required some working out. Psycho Mantis of course.
That be Fatman. I really ought to do another playthrough soon, but I worry I don’t have the attention span anymore to get through all the cutscenes.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That be Fatman. I really ought to do another playthrough soon, but I worry I don’t have the attention span anymore to get through all the cutscenes.
It's the awful controls that get me. One game I'd be happy if they remade.

)_(

Metal Gear Solid 4. Snake vs Liquid/Ocelot. 2 old ass men kicking the shit out of each other and stabbing each other with adrenaline needles because they have respect for each other, also while 4 different epic songs from each other the previous MGS games play in the background. I'm sorry but there's simply no boss battle, that's Done so beautifully. "You're pretty good"

Hell you could pick about 3 others from 4 alone.
This has to be the winner.

The End in MGS3 was always a favourite. Don't think I've ever had another sniper battle like it in terms of size of the map and the tension; you can wait or search the forest for ten minutes and suddenly realize you're probably on the wrong screen :lol:
I could never do this one, I'd always end up changing the date on my ps to kill him :lol:

Hollow Knight:
Grimm/Nightmare King
Radiance - it is pretty fun once you get the rhythm.
But easily my favourite since I first fought them - Mantis Lords. Haven't reached Sisters of Battle yet.
I've only ever cheesed grimm and never played NKG but I know a lot of people would pick it as their fave fight.
Not sure if I have a fave myself, I do enjoy sisters of battle to watch but haven't gotten there either.
Hated radiance before I beat her but now it's fun practicing getting better at that fight. Hollow knight purely for lore reasons.

Moby

Dick
I've only ever cheesed grimm and never played NKG but I know a lot of people would pick it as their fave fight.
Not sure if I have a fave myself, I do enjoy sisters of battle to watch but haven't gotten there either.
Hated radiance before I beat her but now it's fun practicing getting better at that fight. Hollow knight purely for lore reasons.
How did you even cheese Grimm? :lol:

Both Grimm battles are great as they both require you to get locked in the rhythm. And like other dream versions the two have completely different strats. I didn't beat NKG in the main game but got him in Godhome.

Agree with THK. I guess a lot of people are disappointed given it is the titular character and obviously from a difficulty perspective Pure Vessel is what the real deal. Haven't reached that yet. But definitely from a lore perspective THK is awesome. And even more when you go with voidheart. As you anyway get the Radiance right after to satisfy your combat needs.

Also Any% speedrunners love THK given you have to fight him with zero nail upgrades and only level 1 Vengeful Spirit and no quick slash or strength or shaman stone (I think you can get Shaman Stone on Any% but not sure). That makes that an awesome fight. Just pure dodge and smash.

Siorac

On further playthroughs I did. It's probably might favourite ever game. The dungeons suck though but are kind of necessary to get strong enough. The only flaw of the game.
Necessary to get strong enough for what? Bloodborne can be beaten BL4 fist only - you definitely don't 'need' the chalice dungeons to beat the game at any NG cycle.

If you want the absolute maximum damage then yeah, you have to farm them for the very best gems. It's not really worth it though.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
MGS4, Snake vs Liquid Ocelot. Pure fan-service cheese but I adored it.

Bloodborne is littered with great bosses. Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower (that's an all time great boss name on its own) and Father Gascoigne are the best.

"Beasts all over the shop. You'll be one of them, sooner or later..."

Siorac

O&S, Artorias
Dancer, Dragonslayer Armour, Twin Princes
Ludwig, Lady Maria, Gehrman
Isshin the Sword Saint, Owl Father, Genichiro, Divine Dragon

I don't really have a favourite bossfight in any non-FromSoft game. Sarevok from Baldur's Gate deserves a mention - that is one tough fight against a great antagonist. Same applies to Irenicus in BG2. No, I'm not putting spoiler tags on 20+ year old games. The final fight in Icewind Dale 2 is also quite epic.

Moby

Dick
Necessary to get strong enough for what? Bloodborne can be beaten BL4 fist only - you definitely don't 'need' the chalice dungeons to beat the game at any NG cycle.

If you want the absolute maximum damage then yeah, you have to farm them for the very best gems. It's not really worth it though.
What's the max damage you guys have had?

I think right now I am at 550 or sth for my +10 LHB.

Red_Aaron

Personally speaking Gill from SFIII is possibly the biggest cnut in the history of gaming

Tower Knight from Demons Souls was a great boss and at the time like nothing else I'd played

AaronRedDevil

MGS4, Snake vs Liquid Ocelot. Pure fan-service cheese but I adored it.

Bloodborne is littered with great bosses. Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower (that's an all time great boss name on its own) and Father Gascoigne are the best.

"Beasts all over the shop. You'll be one of them, sooner or later..."
Said the same thing in the first page. Just incredible. Great minds think alike.

Siorac

What's the max damage you guys have had?

I think right now I am at 550 or sth for my +10 LHB.
Been a long time since I played it. I think that the highest damage move in the game is the Stake Driver transformed R2 attack. But I don't have numbers.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Mentioned it in another thread but the whole end sequence in Hellblade really did it for me. So fecking cinematic at the end of a long emotional journey. Unbelievable.

Jev

Great thread. Baldur in God of War was pretty cool. Diablo in Diablo II. Bloodborne had so many great ones I don't even remember my favourites.