Film Your favourite directors

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I thought Ken Russell was a fairly household name in the UK? Most of the directors would mostly be familiar to those in the advanced stages of cinephilia, except Fassbinder and Ozu maybe.
Sounds like a terminal illness!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Andrei Tarkovsky - Stalker
Lynch - Mullholland Drive
De Sica - Bicycle Thieves
Cronenberg - Crash
Kurosawa - RAN
Kieslowski - Blue
Wim Wenders - Wings of Desire
Ozu - Good Morning
Alex Cox - Walker
Abel Ferrara - Bad Lieutenant
Audiard - A Prophet
Lar Von Trier - Antichrist
Bergman - Persona
Herzog - Fitzcarraldo
Philip Ridley - The Reflecting Skin (Kermode "masterpiece")
Kubrick - 2001
Verhoeven - RoboCop
Obayashi - Hausu (House)
Lynne Ramsey - We Need To Talk About Kevin
Carpenter - They Live
Ridley Scott - Blade Runner
Leone - Once Upon a Time in the West
Friedkin - Sorcerer
Wajda - Ashes and Diamonds
Tornatore - Cinema Paradiso
Julie Taymor - Titus
Picking Obayashi out, did you happen to see Hanagatami? Saw it last year and it's amazing. So OTT.

Also he died last month :(

OleBoiii

Most of the directors would mostly be familiar to those in the advanced stages of cinephilia, except Fassbinder and Ozu maybe.
I consider myself a cinephile, but only when it comes to American and East-Asian productions, primarily from the last 30-40 years. The only director on that list I've heard about actually Ozu.

Some of the films listed seem pretty niche, yeah. I went through them on IMDB and several had only been rated by a few hundred people. Most seemed to have less than 3000 ratings.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I consider myself a cinephile, but only when it comes to American and East-Asian productions, primarily from the last 30-40 years. The only director on that list I've heard about actually Ozu.

Some of the films listed seem pretty niche, yeah. I went through them on IMDB and several had only been rated by a few hundred people. Most seemed to have less than 3000 ratings.
I enjoy films from all parts of the world, from any era, in pretty much any genre so my range is pretty wide. Most of them probably have more watches on letterboxd than imdb ratings.

OleBoiii

I enjoy films from all parts of the world, from any era, in pretty much any genre so my range is pretty wide.
Nothing wrong with that. I just noticed that there are 12 different nationalities in your list of 14 directors! :eek: I reckon you attend the occasional film festival? There's a good one here in Oslo every november(Film Fra Sør). Last year Chan-wook Park was the guest of honor. The year before that I believe it was Hirokazu Koreeda.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I enjoy films from all parts of the world, from any era, in pretty much any genre so my range is pretty wide. Most of them probably have more watches on letterboxd than imdb ratings.
However, your personal favourites are Will Ferrell comedies. I think it's important to specify this.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
However, your personal favourites are Will Ferrell comedies. I think it's important to specify this.
And rightly so. It’s no coincidence that Zoolander happens to be Terrence Malick‘s favorite movie.

Spoony

The People's President
Nills has out grown me. Even my obscure stuff would be classed as Cineworld by him. But anyway seeing as folk are going Japanese has anyone seen Kaidan and Harakiri by Koboyashi?? I've decided that they're main steam pop corn stuff though.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Nills has out grown me. Even my obscure stuff would be classed as Cineworld by him. But anyway seeing as folk are going Japanese has anyone seen Kaidan and Harakiri by Koboyashi?? I've decided that they're main steam pop corn stuff though.
Harakiri is awesome.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Surely you've heard of Ken Russell? Women In Love, Tommy, The Devils, The Lair of the White Worm, Altered States ??
I thought Ken Russell was a fairly household name in the UK? Most of the directors would mostly be familiar to those in the advanced stages of cinephilia, except Fassbinder and Ozu maybe.
Nope. Never heard of him. But if you look at my list, you'll probably understand why :lol:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Nope. Never heard of him. But if you look at my list, you'll probably understand why :lol:
I can't believe you've never heard of Tommy at least?? Never seen an Oliver Reed film?

Nothing wrong with your list.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
I can barely even remember those films anymore, it's been so long and my taste has grown so much.

Old Ma Crow

Kubrick - Barry Lyndon/Spartacus/Clockwork Orange
Scorcese - Departed/Goodfellas
Tarantino - Pulp Fiction
Ridley Scott - Gladiator/A good year
Spielberg - Raiders of the Lost Ark
Cohen Brothers - Fargo/No country for old men
Eastwood - Unforgiven/Play Misty for me/Absolute Power
Hitchcock - North by Northwest/Frenzy
Francis Ford Coppola - Godfather trilogy/The Rainmaker
Sergio Leone - Dollars trilogy/Once upon a time in the west

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I toyed with putting him on my list simply for Harakiri, but as it was the only film I’ve seen of his I couldn’t justify it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Tarkovsky - Andrei Rublev
Fellini - 8 1/2
Coen Brothers - No Country for Old Men
David Fincher - Zodiac
Michael Mann - Collateral
Stanley Kubrick - Dr Strangelove
Martin Scorsese - Goodfellas
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood
Francis Ford Coppola - Apocalypse Now
Wes Anderson - The Royal Tenenbaums

Favorites added.

Old Ma Crow

Tarkovsky - Andrei Rublev
Fellini - 8 1/2
Coen Brothers - No Country for Old Men
David Fincher - Zodiac
Michael Mann - Collateral
Stanley Kubrick - Dr Strangelove
Martin Scorsese - Goodfellas
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood
Francis Ford Coppola - Apocalypse Now
Wes Anderson - The Royal Tenenbaums

Favorites added.
Zodiac was so good I watched it again after mentions in these threads. Have you read Sleeping Lady by Robert Graysmith?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I can't believe you've never heard of Tommy at least?? Never seen an Oliver Reed film?

Nothing wrong with your list.
No and no haha. I think I heard the name Oliver Reed but that's about it. I'm low brow buddy.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
No and no haha. I think I heard the name Oliver Reed but that's about it. I'm low brow buddy.
Wow ok. Well I know you've seen him as Proximo in Gladiator. Think it was one of his last films before he died.

Roosney

Not enough love here for Michael Mann: The Insider, Heat, Manhunter, Last of the Mohicans, Collateral.
I think his best trait is capturing the atmosphere of the locations and premises, I'll give you that. Everytime I watch Collateral I feel like I'm back in LA.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Michael Mann
Denis Villeneuve
Alex Garland
Guy Ritchie
Ridley Scott
James Cameron
Danny Boyle
Taika Waititi
Paul Thomas Anderson
Christopher Nolan
Quentin Tarantino
Tony Scott

20solskjaer

One of the greatest shots I've seen. That alone makes the movie worth the time.

Fellini hasn't been mentioned yet.

Murnau is also missing. Sunrise is pure poetry.
FW Murnau would definitly be in my top 5 directors along with Billy Wilder, Fritz Lang (and probably Hitchcock and Scorcese)

Last edited:

20solskjaer

The opening tracking shot from that film is total genius. Very good film.
One of the greatest shots I've seen. That alone makes the movie worth the time.

Fellini hasn't been mentioned yet.

Murnau is also missing. Sunrise is pure poetry.
Touch Of Evil is probably in my top 5 films of all time, the opening tracking shot is incredible, the whole film is great, welles is fantastic in it too

Charles Miller

No love for George Lucas in this thread.
Sergio Leone
Spielberg
Scorcese
Clint Eastwood
George Lucas
Tim Burton
Akira Kurosawa

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Nicolas Winding Refn
Béla Tarr
Paul Thomas Anderson
Alfred Hitchcock
Bong Joon-ho
Coen Brothers
Koreeda Hirokazu
Akira Kurosawa
Jean-Pierre Melville

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
S. Craig Zahler might just be one of my favourite Directors at the moment, which even surprises myself.
There's a real brutal,grungy,violent honesty in his work that harks back to those cheap 70's and 80's straight to video nasty films but one with more directorial finesse.

Cinematography wise his films look crisp and he has a real good eye in developing roles from ,usually in low budget movies, quite blandly written characters.

All his characters have a good rugged depth to them even if some look visually satirical at times,which is also said of the violence. Though,similar to someone like Verhoeven (easy comparison, granted), Zahler is clearly self aware in this respect. I mean, it'll be hard not to be.

The trepidation in Zahler's work is also undeniable. Much like David Lynch,his work in building tension throughout the course of his movies is excellently effective.
The build-up of the unknown is still a effective weapon in film but,like most, it really boils down to the execution and Zahlar has shown he's exceptionally good at it.

On his influences, without delving deep into a cluster of interviews, he clearly takes inspiration from those particular video nasty films and the likes of the somewhat blue-collar productions of Get Carter,Dirty Harry and the silly bombastic Death Wish series but he's not so much bound to them,nor overly steeped in nostalgia like most directors, and is clearly adapt at adding his own touch to this murky genre.

Really,in some ways Zahler sits comfortably between Refn and Rodriguez.
He's not as pretentious ,or someone who makes the visuals the sole identity of film, as Refn (Only God Forgives and Neon Demon are still two of the best looking films I've seen in recent times, though the dialogue in both is largely irritable) but his execution of settings and tone is comparable.
And Zahler's not as overtly operatic as Rodriguez regarding action and set-pieces (The Mexico trilogy being the example) but still has unrealistic elements sprinkled in for humour ,though Zahler's characters still have their feet planted on more realistic grounding while with Rodriguez there's a sense of lite footed flamboyance beauty to his action set-pieces. 'like Leone on acid' as one film reviewer remarked many moons ago. But ,like Rodriguez, both are clearly looking and taking notes from the same influences.

Overall, It's refreshing to see these films still being produced and,importantly, made by competent filmmakers who clearly have a love and respect for this genre.
So I will continue to take great interest in Zahler's future works

Chairman Steve

I like George Miller. A man whose got a wide variety of films ranging from post apocalyptic action of Mad Max to a whimsical comedy-drama of Babe.

Speaking of Mad Max, Mel Gibson’s directed movies are pretty neat too. Say what you want about him but he knows how to direct a movie. Apocalypto is a criminally underrated movie which unfortunately came out not too long after he had his personal problems which probably overshadowed the movie at the time.