Your First United Hero and your first United Game Watched.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Bryan Robson, first game I went to was Villa at home last game of the season in 1987. Won 2-0. Still remember the feeling of being at the game, the smell of the food outside, the atmosphere of the Stretford end. It was a scorching day and La Isla Bonita played over the tannoys. To this day that song reminds me of that game.

Tiber

Peter Schmeichel

I don't know what the first game I saw on TV was, but we beat Arsenal 6-1 on my first trip to Old Trafford.... not an awful 10th birthday present

redshaw

Bryan Robson, he was Manchester United as a player to me in the mid to late 1980s when I was young, he stood out in every game I saw. Real shame about his injuries in the 1990s. I so desperately wanted him to recover and keep playing.

RedDevilRoshi

1st United Hero - Eric Cantona
1st United Game (TV) - 1996 FA Cup final vs Liverpool (we all know the result :devil:)
1st United Game (Live) - 2012, 4-0 win vs Aston Villa (goalscorers - Rooney x2, Welbeck & Nani)

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Loved Utd as a kid before I went more ‘local’.

Robson was my hero and went see Utd a few times in 1986 and I’m thinking Southampton at home was my first game.

King Eric 7

Eric Cantona. Chelsea vs Man United 19th December 1992. Rocked up at the Bridge and got a ticket on the day to watch the match in the away end. Those were the days! I still have the same United shirt I wore to that game (aged 16) and amazingly it still fits!

davidmichael

Bryan Robson, it was a time when being England captain made a genuine hero and role model to kids and being captain of my club as well as international captain made him larger than life to a 7 year old kid.

First game was the FA Cup final in 1990 against Crystal Palace which we drew 3-3 and won 1-0 in the replay, I hated Ian Wright for coming off the bench and looking like he’d won the game for Palace with his goal in extra time but much like he often did Mark Hughes scored a late goal to save us.

man united 4eva

George Best... My first game was in 1967.. United v Stoke at Old Trafford... Walking down the Warwick Road on my Dad's shoulders.. i'd never seen so many people in my life.. a sea of red & white.. the buzz of the crowd was amazing... Champions :devil:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Hero - Sir Alex Ferguson
Couldn't say what the first game was though, first time at OT was a game against West Ham I believe

pacifictheme

Pretty sure my first united game was at the start of 92, palace at home. I was 8.

First hero was probably Hughes. Hard to say really.

Lee Sharpe, absolutely adored the bloke. Great thing back then though was that a trip to Littleton Road or The Cliff meant you could meet them whenever you fancied. Don't actually remember my first game as old man has been a ST holder since I was born.

First game I clearly remember going was the FA. Cup final replay in 1990.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Cant really pinpoint a particular player. I was more in equal admiration for the collective rather than a particular individual.

That collective is and will forever be that exceptional midfield 4 of Beckham-Scholes-Keane-Giggs. Damn,it was so perfect.

Rish Sawhney

Ronaldo. 2006 was the first time I started following football in the earnest and it seems every time he got the ball that season everyone held their breath for something spectacular to happen.

Diablodave

Sitting with my Arsenal supporting family, watching this game. They were forcing me into watching this game and asked me to pick a team to support. While they're all sitting in their Arsenal shirts, this was shaping up and they asked me who i was gonna support, fully expecting me to say i support Arsenal.

Cantona rocketed it into the top corner, i will never forget it, Fergie puffing the cheeks out and i remember saying,

Me: "Him, i support him, that man who scored!"
Family: "You can't support him, you have to pick a team!"
Me: "Ok, then i support Man Utd."

From that moment on, i became a tad obsessed with Cantona and United.

Mr. Christian

Lou Macari and Sammy Mac we’re playing, can’t remember against who and when. Macari was the man but Robbo was my hero as a schoolboy. It’s a pity the modern generation couldn’t see Robbo playing in his heyday..... Captain Marvel!

I’m pretty confidant England would have won two world cups (86’ & 90’) if he had of not been injured.

Reactions: Rood

Relfy

Eric the King was my first hero. First live game was the Wimbledon away in which Becks scored from the halfway line, but my dad won a few quid on the first scorer - Eric. No idea about the first game I saw on telly.

Member 113277

George Best, Watney Cup v Halifax Town, 1971, L 1-2.

It would be another 15 years before I started to support Utd, but Best was my hero from 1968 (European Cup).

Fitchett

Hero - Denis Law
1st Game, on TV - 1963 FA Cup Final, United 3 Leicester 1
1st Game, at Old Trafford - Nov 1963, United 0 Liverpool 1
Had the pleasure of meeting Denis in February, for the first time since he was a player!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What was the coverage like back then in Canadia?
We had show called Soccer Saturday that aired on Saturday mornings. Mostly they spent it summarizing the big European leagues but the focus was on the Premier League and they'd usually show extended highlights of matches and maybe one big match would get a longer treatment. They replayed it after midnight, too, so you could go to the club and watch it, which I did a lot of.

Champions League was usually available live, except in February when it would get preempted for our national curling tournaments.

We'd get the FA Cup final but not much else of it.

stevoc

Eric of course.

Don't know what the first game i watched was as i come from a United family. But the first i can clearly remember was the 1991 League Cup final vs Wednesday which we lost. But thankfully i only had to wait a month for my first time seeing United win a trophy.

Blind Rojo

First game - 1976 FA Cup Final, watching as a 12 year old on a portable B&W telly in a caravan park. Picked a team before the start, luckily (not on the night!) it was Manchester United.

First hero - Jimmy Greenhoff.

Mr. Christian

Bryan Robson, first game I went to was Villa at home last game of the season in 1987. Won 2-0. Still remember the feeling of being at the game, the smell of the food outside, the atmosphere of the Stretford end. It was a scorching day and La Isla Bonita played over the tannoys. To this day that song reminds me of that game.
Reckon I was running around the pitch at the Stratford end prior to the game for Salford School of Excellence doing a bit of ball juggling. Time goes quick!

ThinkTank@Cafe

1. Sheringham.2. Solskjaer a couple of minutes later.
yes, I’m plastic. 21 years since I watched my first club football game on TV.

Vanrouge

George Best, although I didn't see him play until later, when he played in the NASL. Sadly, I saw my first United match at Old Trafford in the relegation season, and Best was on the outs by then. I saw two games in a row, Newcastle and Everton, and United won both, 1-0 and 3-0, but we all know what happened after that. A brief false hope.