Your First United Hero and your first United Game Watched.

Basa1987

First game was FA cup 3rd round, 2002, away at Villa Park. We came back to win 2-3 after being 2-0 down. That 2nd half performance is what got me hooked.

Tbh, I did not have a specific hero during the initial years but I was partial to Ruud and Scholes.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I know it wasn't the first game I watched, but it's the earliest one I remember, and that's when we played City at Maine Road in the Prem in 1993.

We'd just installed Sky TV and I vividly remember my uncle was plastering our living room as I watched. We were 2-0 down at half time (Quinn x 2) but a Cantona brace and a winner from Keano gave us a 3-2 victory. That was the first time I'd been blown away by a Utd comeback, and in a derby no less. Quinn's hatred of us may well stem from that day. The cnut.

The highlights are available on YouTube, if you need a lockdown pick-me-up!

First hero was Giggs. Still my favourite ever Utd player. I even had a picture of him laminated onto my maths jotter circa 1995... :nervous:

GenZRed

First hero: Ruud van Nistelrooy.

First game I remember watching is the 2-0 victory over Spurs in the 2002/03 season at White Hart Lane while holidaying in Spain. I was too young to really know what was happening but us winning did make me smile.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
1985 cup final. Moran sent off for a ludicrously cynical last man tackle. 3 quality Irish players on the field. Jesper Olsen the only foreigner from outside the home nations.

Norman Whiteside with the extra time goal. Everton treble stopped.
That's my 1st United memory. Loved it.
Ron Feckin Atkinson was our manager :lol::lol:

Loved Keane. Loved vidic. Loved Cole. Cantona.

So many wonderful memories

Johnson Yip

First hero: Bryan Robson

First game (on TV): 1985 FA Cup Final vs. Everton (1-0 aet)
First game (at Old Trafford): 2019/20 season opener vs. Chelsea (4-0)

paulscholes18

Scholes

3-3 vs Barcelona with “the goal between Cole and Yorke was out of this world”

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Mine - Hero - Gary Bailey - 1979 FA Cup Final v The Gunners.
Exact same game. Couldn't really pick one player as a hero because every single player had something about them but if I was forced to give an answer I'd probably sway between Sammy Mac (fellow countryman) or Stevie Coppell.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Roy Keane was first hero.

First game was a 2-1 loss to Bolton in Old Trafford, 2001.

My next game was a draw against Middlesbrough. :lol:

El Zoido

First game I remember was vs Norwich at Carrow Road in 1993. We won 3-1.

Hero is Eric Cantona, he changed everything for me. When I played football for my local team in my early teens I’d turn my collar up. Probably looked like a bit of a bellend in hindsight but I just loved the guy. His ability, his attitude on the pitch, the confidence/arrogance and audacity of some of the things he’d try with a football were a joy to behold. An amazing entertainer on an off the pitch, he will always be my favourite player.

izec

Between Cantona, Keane and Beckham. Hard to say when i clicked and became a fan, it was more that i started slowly watching football. First German football, then more and more the CL and then PL, and my interest grew more and more in United with time. I believe the first United game i watched was the Dortmund semi final game 1997 away, since my brother was/is Dortmund fan and i watched along.

Funny thing is i don't remember watching a lot of Cantona live, but with time, he was always mentioned and with the classics games getting shown on TV, he was United for me. Once i was a fan, Keane and Becks were the heroes.

Tribec

Steve Coppell was my first hero, the first game I recall going to was United v City 3 days after the 76 cup final. Still love a good winger in our team and the bench mark will always be Stevie C. Not many have come up to scratch mind you.

MikeeMike

Always loved Coppell.. My dad got tickets through a friend of Eric Harrison i think.. my 11th birthday.. sat in seats above United Road.. Loved the noise of clapping riqocheting off stand roof and smell of the tobacco that seemed to be everywhere. Was 0-0 against middlesbrough and i think (not sure) we missed two penalties. Anyway, hooked ever since.

Skåre Willoch

Ole was my first United Hero, as I was 5 years old when he made the move. As a blonde, curly haired noggie it was just meant to be :lol: Then Beckham came along and became an even bigger hero.

I've watched United games all my life, but the first I have proper memories about watching is probably vs. Barcelona at Old Trafford in 98. The game was on my birthday, and ended 3-3.

Rooney24

Mark Hughes. He is still my favourite ever United Player.

First game I recall seeing on TV was the 1983 Milk Cup FInal v Liverpool. We lost 2-1 with Ronnie Whelan scoring a screamer for them. Thankfully we made up for it a few months later lifting the FA Cup.

First game live at OT was v Oldham in November 1992. We won 3-0, Brian McClair scored twice and Hughes got the other. We were on a rough run of form going into this game I recall, and I always remember the crowd chanting for Fergie to sign David Hirst from Sheff Wednesday during this game.

The following Thursday he went out and signed Eric Cantona and the rest is history.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Bryan Robson first hero.

First game - fa cup 5th round against Derby County at The Baseball Ground in 1982 or 1983 (I think). Norman Whiteside winner.

I was 8 or 9, my dad used to take me to Rams games some weeks. I went there a Derby fan and came home a United fan.

vidic blood & sand

For a few years it was Ray Wilkins, but latched onto Robbo after his terrific world cup and 82/83 season. What a performance in the 83 Cup replay!
Cant remember the first game for certain, but think it was arsenal at Highbury.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I can't remember the first United game I watched on telly, I would guess it was around 1996 as I remember crying when Southgate missed his penalty at the Euros.

My first live was Rapid Vienna in 1997 at OT. My heroes were Scholes, Beckham and Giggs.

mufc1445

First game was Sheffield Wednesday away 5-4 ,Jack Witham got hat-rick. 1968. John Fitzpatrick was my hero.

dalriada

My first Utd match was on TV - the 1968 European Cup Final. My father was a City supporter, but the match was such a big event for the city, I was allowed to stay up to watch it.

Best was our most highly rated player, but the sad decline in his personal life meant he wasn't a good role model. The 1970s were not good years for the club, and I didn't really have heroes, but the first player I remember really admiring who came closest to being a hero was Bryan Robson, a true leader.

Two players who made an impression for their sharp intelligence were Martin Buchan, who was the cool player to follow for every United-supporting teenager at the time and I'm told is a talented linguist; and Brian McClair, who combined playing for Utd with studying maths at Glasgow University and has an hilarious, dry, deadpan sense of humour. Both were players of stature in the recent history of the club and fine footballers.

Now one person who was indisputably a hero was Sir Alex, and I remain in awe of him to this day.

Giggsyking

My first Hero was Bryan Robson, and my first match was the FA cup final against Everton 1985

Red Royal

First TV game I remember was 1983 FA Cup final and then replay
Fisst game at Old Trafford I went to Man Utd vs Oxford in 1987. We were pretty awful then but Bryan Robson scored a last minute winner and was an instant hero for me!

Unitedlife

1st United Hero - Jesper Olsen
1st United Game (TV) - 1979 FA Cup Final vs Arsenal (2-3)
1st United Game (Live) - 1990 League game vs Arsenal (0-1, We were deducted 1 point, Arsenal deducted 2 points for on field brawl)

sean9988

my first hero was cantona

my first game was brian mcclairs testimonial!, back then it was hard to get tickets to league games.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Giggs.

Would've been sometime in 93/94 for first game watched.

First live match was 22/03/2003 - United 3-0 Fulham - Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuud hatrick including THAT dribbling second goal, all whilst I sat in the crowd with #10 v.Nistelrooy on the back of my shirt. Like to think he scored a hatrick just for my first game live.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Sammy McIlroy. My first game was a 5-1 win over Sheffield United. 1975 or 1976.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
First hero was probably Rooney. I don't remember the exact first game but the one in my memory farthest back was the the 4-0 against Watford in the 06/07 season.

POF

Jesper Olsen was my first United hero. Exciting wingers have always been part of the fabric of United and for me it started with Olsen and Strachan.

First game I can remember was the 1985 cup final, with Whiteside's cracking curled winner knocking over big Nev's little bag.

It wasn't the first United game I watched but it's the first I remember watching.

Jeffchin

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
First game I watched was the 1985 FA Cup final against the then mighty favourite Everton, 10 men United caused a major upset with a Norman Whiteside late goal and became the FA Cup winner.

I was 11 then and me and family were holidaying in Hong Kong, that game was shown on the telly in our hotel room, there was nothing else on except this game, can't remember whether it was a live transmission but it was really late and everyone was asleep except me. The commentary was in Cantonese and I kept hearing the overly excited commentator yelling the words Red Devils and dark horse whenever United was mentioned. Eyes locked on the screen, I was moved by the celebration on the pitch and the jubilation in the stand, hooked and fascinated by United since then.

First hero was Norman Whiteside due to his winning goal. He was touted as the most promising and best young talent back then. I remember writing and posting a few letters to the Norman Whiteside Fan Club all the way from Malaysia, imagine my joy when he responded via post, along with 1 T-shirt and 1 United jersey with his name.

Guess I am one of the original glory hunters from Asia ya :D

John Keiler

25 May 1963 - neighbour drives me down to Wembley to watch the Cup Final because as he said to my Dad 'a mate has dropped out and I thought your son might like to go'.

25 May 1963 @ 1530 - the King scores and my first [and still current] hero is born.

14 September 1963 - my first sight of George on his debut [hero number two in my affections].

20 June 2008 - my wife who had no idea about any of the above presents me with a signed replica Denis Law shirt from the above final for my 50th birthday - 'I saw it on ebay and thought you might like it'. She got a little worried about all the tears! I now live in a village near Leicester and delivery drivers and workmen of my age always comment when they see it in the hallway. :)

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
My earliest United memory is of Duncan Ferguson celebrating after the final whistle when Everton beat us in the cup final in 95. I remember nothing from the match just the whistle blowing and blue shirts going crazy then his big ugly face.

My first united hero was Schmeichel, I was a chubby kid so I was usually the goalkeeper. Pretending to be the Great Dane made it much more fun.

Nikelesh Reddy

First game watched-Chelsea at Oldtrafford in 2001(We lost 3-0!!)...First hero-Ruud Van nistlerooy...

Josh 76

Jesper Olsen was my first United hero. Exciting wingers have always been part of the fabric of United and for me it started with Olsen and Strachan.

First game I can remember was the 1985 cup final, with Whiteside's cracking curled winner knocking over big Nev's little bag.

It wasn't the first United game I watched but it's the first I remember watching.
Had so many hero's of mine during that great era.

Whiteside
Stapelton
Hughes
Robson
Olsen
Strachan.
McGrath

Great childhood memories.

POF

Had so many hero's of mine during that great era.

Whiteside
Stapelton
Hughes
Robson
Olsen
Strachan.
McGrath

Great childhood memories.
Agree. It was a brilliant era. Maybe not that successful but that's the United squad that drew me in to supporting the club.

Big Ron is seen as a bit of a joke in historical terms but I really liked him as a manager. His teams were always exciting to watch.

Josh 76

Agree. It was a brilliant era. Maybe not that successful but that's the United squad that drew me in to supporting the club.

Big Ron is seen as a bit of a joke in historical terms but I really liked him as a manager. His teams were always exciting to watch.

You might like this.

giggslover

1993-94. Don't rememeber the specific game, but all I remember is Giggs and Kanchelskis just bombing up and down the wings all game. They had me hooked.