Your Football Idols?

Bogga

Non United - Batistuta
United - Can't say one specific... so many!

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Oliver Kahn. I cried so hard when we lost the WC final in 2002. Not because Germany didn't win, but because of Kahn's blunder. Such a bitter moment after he carried us all the way to the final. We really had no business being in that game against Brazil in the first place. Well, I'll always have the 2001UCL win at San Siro and his three saved penalties.

galwayfa

Bergkamp.
Thanks to his retirement Arse never recovered.

On a serious note though - I wish he would have played for United. One of a kind player, class professional and most of all - winner.

Del Pierro would be my second shout for similar reasons.
And to think Bruce ricoh signed him, a wonderful player that was hard to dislike

alexthelion

Pele, Best, Cruyff and a bit later, Maradona.

The best players ever imo.

Web of Bissaka

What is football idols?

If United players? Too plenty to mention.

Non-United players?
The closest to "idols" will be... Nesta, Maldini, Pirlo, Makelele, and a few more.

The other players are just a simple admiration.

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
Ronaldinho - For being a magician, showing kids you can have fun while playing at the highest level.

C Ronaldo - Favourite footballer ever, watching him from when he was just "a potential world beater", to being the most feared, hated, loved human in the world, and his story from where he comes from, to where he is today. To the generations he has inspired, wow.

Benni McCarthy - The best South African export we ever produced. Watching him win the UEFA Champions League, going to England, then becoming 2nd only to Drogba in the top goal scorer charts. Amazing for a guy from Hanover Park. Pity he did not play for us in the 2010 World Cup.

Reactions: Sultan

Okey

Roberto Baggio. My first love. Then I discovered Cantona and United...

Bondi77

I have a couple of idols in life but someone who gets paid a fortune for kicking a ball no matter how good they are is never going to get into that group.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
As an adult I really never had idols, just favorite players. As a kid it was Keegan, Clemence, and Pele.

lysglimt

Scout
My first footballing idols were Paolo Rossi and Frank Stapleton - afterwards I didn't really have any idols, but I was a big fan of McClair, Sharpe and Nistelrooy (even before he joined United).

So If not for Big Ron signing Stapleton, I would have been an Arsenal or Juventus-fan today - but once Stapleton joined United, I was hooked.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Figo, Rui Costa, Totti and Henry were the only guys I had posters of in my room as a kid.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
For me it has always been:
1. Cantona - throughout my childhood years
2. Ronaldo - throughout my adult years up to now

No one come close.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
United players aside:
Fenômeno :drool:
And Shevchenko.

Idxomer

Non-United:

Zidane
Aboutrika
Ronaldo
Riquelme
Nedved
Del Piero

LOIfan

Supports
bohemians
Bobby Ryan played for my club bohemians when i first started going to games, he played from when i was 6 until i was 8 and back then i thought he was the best player in the world. 99% sure it was due to the fact i didn't really know what was going on and that to me at that age the league of ireland was the same as the premiership just played in a different country but he has always remained my favourite player. I have this memory of Bohs just kicking him the ball at every opportunity and we would let him go on a mazy run before crossing the ball to either Glen Crowe or Jason Byrne to score. It'd be really great if anyone a little bit older than me could let me know how incorrect my memory is haha.
Of real world class players i really loved zidane and of course being Irish Roy Keane could do no wrong.
Recent times strangely I developed a child like idolisation for Phillipe Coutinho, just simply love watching him play, his close dribbling control and his passing is other worldly

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Cantona
Ibra
Baggio
Ronaldinho
Maradona

From current players, I am a huge fan of Greenwood's and really hope he becomes as great as Cantona, with a career as long as that of Ibra's

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So If not for Big Ron signing Stapleton, I would have been an Arsenal or Juventus-fan today - but once Stapleton joined United, I was hooked.
That's interesting - I know at least two long-standing United fans who went down that exact route. I loved Stapleton myself, be it said - but only after he became a United player.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The Laudrup's when I was small, mostly Brian. Eric turned me onto being a regular United watcher and following his retirement I was enamored by Ole and Raúl as I fancied myself as a good finisher but not a physical player. I did practice my corners like Beckham partly because I thought I could be good them and also because of my height I was quite useless in the box and I didn't want to be left back on set pieces.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Excluding all the obvious 90's and 00's Chelsea heroes.

Recoba was the first non-Chelsea player I really loved. Incredible technique, magical player. It's a huge shame that his career kind of just fizzled out the way it did.

Maradona - only caught the latter part of his career but there has never been anybody since who captured the imagination like he did.

Fat Ronaldo - for about two seasons the best player I have ever seen, and I include Messi in that.

King Eric - will always be my favourite Manchester United player.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Van Nistelrooy
Carrick
Brazilian Ronaldo
Messi