Your Hidden Gems or under the radar - Wanted Signings

Dan600

As we head into a new summer, and a new manager, with yet another new dawn, we always get linked to every player under the sun.

This year there is an understandably Dutch theme to the press rumours, while we still continue to get linked to familiar names like Declan Rice, Harry Kane and even Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.

But what I want to know is who are your own personal preferences for signings, who nobody else wants, or maybe nobody else has heard of? Who is a player we were linked to a few years ago who’s career has gone on quietly without acknowledgement that you think is or will be good enough to play for United? Or maybe a player at another club that no one thinks we can sign?

I’ll start with a few of my own, players I think would be good for us, some having seen with my own eyes, others admittedly having seen very little of, either the odd game in Europe, or in the last 2 cases they seem very good in all of the various football video games (I know, a mortal sin):
  • Moises Caicedo - Falls under the category of previously linked to United. He has quietly settled into life in England with Brighton and is now gradually breaking into the first team. He looks a quality player, and is already touted as being their Bissouma replacement. I say move early before he becomes the next £50M+ player we are linked with.
  • Ibrahim Sangare - Defensive Mid at PSV. Looks very strong and very capable but I have only seen 2-3 eredivisie matches of him, so might not not stack up against PL opposition. Worth a punt though.
  • Aleksander Mitrovic - I may be weird but I have always like watching him, even back at Newcastle, and thought he would suit us. Sort of player, with the aggression leading from the front, that can lift the whole team. Let him push the opposition forwards around for 60-70 minutes, then bring Ronaldo off the bench to finish them off.
  • Ben Godfrey - Granted it’s not his/Everton’s best season. But he has proven versatile across the back 4, which is something Ten Hag is known to like in his players, being able to play multiple positions. A defender who can play centrally as well as out wide has an intelligence that would help our defence out under Ten Hag.
  • Luis Sinisterra/Noa Lang - both young wide forwards who are very good in all the Various football games in terms of potential. Both great dribblers. Lang is the more versatile of the 2 it seems, Sinisterra seems more suited to the left, so Lang would be a better option, but again he’s playing in the Belgian League currently so would be a big step up.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Guys I like based on the Portuguese league:

- Fábio Vieira (Porto)
- Vitinha (Porto)
- Matheus Nunes (Sporting)
- Porro (Sporting)
- Manuel Ugarte (Sporting)
- Palhinha (Sporting)
- Darwin Nunez (Benfica)

* Not including Pote due to a injury plagued season. Despite that 15 goals and 10 assists.

PORTUGAL players:

these two guys I think are worth a gamble at the right price

- Rúben Neves (Wolves)
- Rafael Leão (Milan)

SoCross

Possibly not a hidden gem any longer but I’ve been impressed by that Guehi chap at Palace.

phelans shorts

As we head into a new summer, and a new manager, with yet another new dawn, we always get linked to every player under the sun.

This year there is an understandably Dutch theme to the press rumours, while we still continue to get linked to familiar names like Declan Rice, Harry Kane and even Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.

But what I want to know is who are your own personal preferences for signings, who nobody else wants, or maybe nobody else has heard of? Who is a player we were linked to a few years ago who’s career has gone on quietly without acknowledgement that you think is or will be good enough to play for United? Or maybe a player at another club that no one thinks we can sign?

I’ll start with a few of my own, players I think would be good for us, some having seen with my own eyes, others admittedly having seen very little of, either the odd game in Europe, or in the last 2 cases they seem very good in all of the various football video games (I know, a mortal sin):
  • Moises Caicedo - Falls under the category of previously linked to United. He has quietly settled into life in England with Brighton and is now gradually breaking into the first team. He looks a quality player, and is already touted as being their Bissouma replacement. I say move early before he becomes the next £50M+ player we are linked with.
  • Ibrahim Sangare - Defensive Mid at PSV. Looks very strong and very capable but I have only seen 2-3 eredivisie matches of him, so might not not stack up against PL opposition. Worth a punt though.
  • Aleksander Mitrovic - I may be weird but I have always like watching him, even back at Newcastle, and thought he would suit us. Sort of player, with the aggression leading from the front, that can lift the whole team. Let him push the opposition forwards around for 60-70 minutes, then bring Ronaldo off the bench to finish them off.
  • Ben Godfrey - Granted it’s not his/Everton’s best season. But he has proven versatile across the back 4, which is something Ten Hag is known to like in his players, being able to play multiple positions. A defender who can play centrally as well as out wide has an intelligence that would help our defence out under Ten Hag.
  • Luis Sinisterra/Noa Lang - both young wife forwards who are very good in all the Various football games in terms of potential. Both great dribblers. Lang is the more versatile of the 2 it seems, Sinisterra seems more suited to the left, so Lang would be a better option, but again he’s playing in the Belgian League currently so would be a big step up.
Didn’t Ten Hag boot Lang out of Ajax for being a bit of an arsehole who wouldn’t follow instructions

Wezzaldo

I think that Joao Pedro at Watford is going to be a player.

Dempsey19

Didn't ETH ship Noa Lang off because he didn't like his attitude? Doubt he'd bring him here.

Dan600

1 other that I like/can't believe he cost under £2M is Joel Veltman at Brighton. Came from Ajax too, just a shame he's 30 years old. Lacazette is another 30 year old who could have been interesting given he's out of contract, given the young forwards we have coming through maybe wouldn't be the worst forward to bring in?

Bloomin' autocorrect. :lol:

Didn't ETH ship Noa Lang off because he didn't like his attitude? Doubt he'd bring him here.
Had no idea, like I say last 2 I haven't seen play/ don't know backgrounds so that would rule him out I guess :wenger:

Possibly not a hidden gem any longer but I’ve been impressed by that Guehi chap at Palace.
Yeah he's looked good there, like Anderson alongside him too. Also, while on topic of Ex Chelsea defenders sounds like Tomori has impressed at Milan too, was surprised Chelsea let him go. Speaking of English defenders in Italy, Chris Smalling anyone? :lol:

Dan600

Guys I like based on the Portuguese league:

- Fábio Vieira (Porto)
- Vitinha (Porto)
- Matheus Nunes (Sporting)
- Porro (Sporting)
- Manuel Ugarte (Sporting)
- Palhinha (Sporting)
- Darwin Nunez (Benfica)

* Not including Pote due to a injury plagued season. Despite that 15 goals and 10 assists.

PORTUGAL players:

these two guys I think are worth a gamble at the right price

- Rúben Neves (Wolves)
- Rafael Leão (Milan)
Porro is the one on loan from City right? Probably no chance us signing him but he plays right back/right wing I believe, is he better than our current RBs would you say in your opinion? Nunez is Nunez, whereas I have seen links to Palhinha previously, where would he fit in our midfield do you think?

The most interesting to me is Vitinha. He looked a very good technical player when at Wolves if not quite ready for the PL with the physical side of things. Has he improved that yet?

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Finding these gems are hard and you need the best people for it. This is why im glad United are doing a massive overhaul upstairs as well. Its vital we get Paul Mitchell or someone of similar calibre. Imagine if we had the same old staff for this who even failed finding obvious targets for the last 10 years.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
A few young guys from ligue 1 that would be perfect for you :
- RB : Malo Gusto from Lyon. Still raw and young but he has everything you want in a modern fullback. Not sure if Aulas is going to accept offers so soon in his career but Lyon is going to need money and besides Paqueta and Caqueret they don't have a lot of players with resell value.
- RW-ST : Mohamed Ali Cho. Once again young and raw but he'd be the perfect replacement for Martial. I'm convinced he's going to make it at the top level once he plays for a more attacking side than Angers.
- LW-AM : Sofiane Diop. Very gifted attacking midfielder, can do everything with the ball at his feet. Not the fastest or strongest but a really smart player.

Dempsey19

Had no idea, like I say last 2 I haven't seen play/ don't know backgrounds so that would rule him out I guess :wenger:
Yeah there's even a video of ETH snapping on Noa during a game telling him to shut up and listen after he talked back. A month later he was loaned out and eventually sold.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
David Raum. He has as many league assists as Messi this season (13). He is a left back playing his first Bundesliga season.

Baneofthegame

• Luis Sinisterra/Noa Lang - both young wide forwards who are very good in all the Various football games in terms of potential. Both great dribblers. Lang is the more versatile of the 2 it seems, Sinisterra seems more suited to the left, so Lang would be a better option, but again he’s playing in the Belgian League currently so would be a big step up.
Didn’t Ten Hag have a problem with Lang?

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Aaron Hickey young scotch left back at Bologna could be some player, seems available this summer for less than £20 million.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Stuttgart have a few players, who could turn out to be bargains if they get relegated: Kalajdzic and Borna Sosa mainly. Probably not at an absolute top club, but arguably they should be playing in the EL at least.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I like the below as full-back options. For the other positions, CM, DM, CM, RW - I think we have to really use our budget.

Left Back:
David Raum

Sergio Gómez

Aaron Hickey

Owen Wijndal

Tyrell Malacia

Right Back:
Jeremie Frimpong

Calvin Ramsay

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I like the below as full-back options. For the other positions, CM, DM, CM, RW - I think we have to really use our budget.

Left Back:
David Raum

Sergio Gómez

Aaron Hickey

Owen Wijndal

Tyrell Malacia

Right Back:
Jeremie Frimpong

Calvin Ramsay
So you like Sergio Gomez, who was sent away at Dortmund, because he was too physically weak to play in attacking midfield, who still seems to be playing in attacking midfield for Spain's u21 and you want to play him as a LB at United?

onemanarmy

So you like Sergio Gomez, who was sent away at Dortmund, because he was too physically weak to play in attacking midfield, who still seems to be playing in attacking midfield for Spain's u21 and you want to play him as a LB at United?
He's had a fantastic season in Belgium at left back for Anderlecht.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He's had a fantastic season in Belgium at left back for Anderlecht.
I'm aware that he's producing amazing attacking numbers, but unless he had the world's best doping doctor working on him nonstop, since I last saw him, I don't see how he would be able to play as a LB at a top club.

onemanarmy

I'm aware that he's producing amazing attacking numbers, but unless he had the world's best doping doctor working on him nonstop, since I last saw him, I don't see how he would be able to play as a LB at a top club.
He never came across to me as very weak and Belgium has a notorious physically league. He's pretty feisty. Think he's the same size as Dani Alves, Jordi Alba, Carvajal...

Charles Miller

Gleison Bremer(25) defensor. Torino.
Lucas Paqueta(24) amc. Lyon.
Endrick Sousa(15) CF. Palmeiras.

dean simpson

Gallagher has been impressive not sure Chelsea would sell to us.
Bissouma looks a player we could do with neves too.
If we are ggoing change our structure in signing players trossand would also be a decent signing.
I watched nunez against Liverpool he looked quality reminded me of zlatan

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Midfielders - don't think there's many players out there that wouldn't improve our midfield now, but a couple I think would be worth looking at:

Douath at Saint-etienne looks like a prospect (Biased). I think Chelsea were most interested in him, but got a lot of potential and physically ready for the prem.

Alex Scott at Bristol City looks like he could be a serious talent as well and I'm sure he'll probably move this summer. I'd usually say too soon for United, but it's not really hard to be an improvement over what we have. Think he's a reasonably tall lad as well - but need to check that.

Teji Savanier - criminally underrated, no idea why no one's ever bought him from Montpellier. Yes I know he's 30 but we need some older heads in the squad as well.

Attackers - my general thought is they're likely to play second fiddle to Ronaldo or off him, so I don't think we need immediate quality, but certainly great potential.

Kalimuendo - striker at Lens, on loan from PSG. He's still pretty raw, but I think he's got that hunger for scoring that will get him very far. He also is instinctive in shooting with either foot (they aren't pretty goals or moments, but it's the attitude I like).

João Pedro - if Watford get relegated, I think he'd be a great forward for the future. I think he's only just settling into the rigours of prem now and would love to see him continue his development.

Jama18418

Todibo at Nice would be great for us, fast, strong and is technically brilliant. Has great passing, reminds me a lot of VVD. Cucurella at left back would be brilliant. Wilfred Singo from Torino Is a RB, Fast, strong and is very good technically. Yusuf Demir who is loan at Barcelona from Rapid Vienna looked really good. Teun Koopmeiners DM/CM great left foot who has has a really good season at Atalanta. All five would cost around a combined £130 million, which is less than what West Ham want for Declan RIce!

UpWithRivers

Definitely not anywhere near the level required to start for a top european club.
Maybe not top top level but if Conte gets hold of him for 15 mill I think he would be a decent player. But since your Swedish I will refer to your judgement.

JohnnyLaw

Maybe not top top level but if Conte gets hold of him for 15 mill I think he would be a decent player. But since your Swedish I will refer to your judgement.
I only watch him with the national team to be fair, and he’s consistently linked with big clubs in Italy. Can’t for the life of me see why though.. Distinctly average in my opinion.

didz

Aaron Hickey young scotch left back at Bologna could be some player, seems available this summer for less than £20 million.
Came to post this. I've seen him play right back and left back for Bologna. He seems completely two footed and just as good on either flank, although he does seems to play more on the left.

CraftySoAndSo

Sulemana from Rennes, love him but still quite raw but he'd certainly get bums off seats. I also think Aouar could be decent, not a hidden gem but under the radar as interest in him has gone down a bit from clubs. I feel he could do very well in a Ten Hag system in a midfield 3 but don't know what price Lyon would ask for.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Sulemana from Rennes, love him but still quite raw but he'd certainly get bums off seats. I also think Aouar could be decent, not a hidden gem but under the radar as interest in him has gone down a bit from clubs. I feel he could do very well in a Ten Hag system in a midfield 3 but don't know what price Lyon would ask for.
Think his contract is expiring, along with Cherki and Caqueret. I've only seen reports of Caqueret being offered much improved terms, so I'd happily take the other two off their hands!