Your Hidden Gems or under the radar - Wanted Signings

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Porro is the one on loan from City right? Probably no chance us signing him but he plays right back/right wing I believe, is he better than our current RBs would you say in your opinion? Nunez is Nunez, whereas I have seen links to Palhinha previously, where would he fit in our midfield do you think?

The most interesting to me is Vitinha. He looked a very good technical player when at Wolves if not quite ready for the PL with the physical side of things. Has he improved that yet?
Porro Buy out option was triggered by Sporting for 8M so he is our player. Porro is undoubtedly better then any RB option at United currently. He’s a big threat offensively and very skilled on the ball as well as being a solid defender.

Palhinha is undoubtedly leaving this summer. Sporting have found and molded his replacement with 20 year old Manuel Ugarte.

Palhinha could be a solid CDM option for United. Very strong defensively and in the tackle, he would fit well in the EPL.

i doubt he would demand a premium so it’s a worthy gamble in my book.

As for Vitinha he has improved exponentially this season along with Fabio Vieira. The way he moves and plays almost reminds me a bit of Deco.

If I was him I would probably stay in Portugal one more season but he is a player that should be under the radar. I have been n
Very impressed with him all season. The kid is talented.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
As we head into a new summer, and a new manager, with yet another new dawn, we always get linked to every player under the sun.

This year there is an understandably Dutch theme to the press rumours, while we still continue to get linked to familiar names like Declan Rice, Harry Kane and even Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.

But what I want to know is who are your own personal preferences for signings, who nobody else wants, or maybe nobody else has heard of? Who is a player we were linked to a few years ago who’s career has gone on quietly without acknowledgement that you think is or will be good enough to play for United? Or maybe a player at another club that no one thinks we can sign?

I’ll start with a few of my own, players I think would be good for us, some having seen with my own eyes, others admittedly having seen very little of, either the odd game in Europe, or in the last 2 cases they seem very good in all of the various football video games (I know, a mortal sin):
  • Moises Caicedo - Falls under the category of previously linked to United. He has quietly settled into life in England with Brighton and is now gradually breaking into the first team. He looks a quality player, and is already touted as being their Bissouma replacement. I say move early before he becomes the next £50M+ player we are linked with.
  • Ibrahim Sangare - Defensive Mid at PSV. Looks very strong and very capable but I have only seen 2-3 eredivisie matches of him, so might not not stack up against PL opposition. Worth a punt though.
  • Aleksander Mitrovic - I may be weird but I have always like watching him, even back at Newcastle, and thought he would suit us. Sort of player, with the aggression leading from the front, that can lift the whole team. Let him push the opposition forwards around for 60-70 minutes, then bring Ronaldo off the bench to finish them off.
  • Ben Godfrey - Granted it’s not his/Everton’s best season. But he has proven versatile across the back 4, which is something Ten Hag is known to like in his players, being able to play multiple positions. A defender who can play centrally as well as out wide has an intelligence that would help our defence out under Ten Hag.
  • Luis Sinisterra/Noa Lang - both young wide forwards who are very good in all the Various football games in terms of potential. Both great dribblers. Lang is the more versatile of the 2 it seems, Sinisterra seems more suited to the left, so Lang would be a better option, but again he’s playing in the Belgian League currently so would be a big step up.
The question is with a club the size of Man Utd and the resources it has, does it make sense to go for hidden gems and unknown talents? Isn't this the risk for smaller clubs to take? It also take time to develop players and the young players also need game time to develop. Man Utd, Real Madrid, PSG are the clubs at the top of the food chain in football industry, and it makes sense for them to go for proven and established talent for more money. The issue for Man Utd is not getting the right talent for their system, or they don't have a system so they have a problem with player recruitment.

Jacob

Jacob Ramsey, not so much hidden but he is great.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The Spanish Cucurella kid at Brighton. I know he is highly rated but he is flying under the radar. He is very composed.

Crashoutcassius

Luis Alberto at Lazio is one of the only players of his quality that you could attract. No clue about contract situation but not sure why he is never linked. Could be de jong for ETH, has the same type of quality with the ball

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Think his contract is expiring, along with Cherki and Caqueret. I've only seen reports of Caqueret being offered much improved terms, so I'd happily take the other two off their hands!
How is it expiring so quickly? He signed for them last year.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Hugo Guillamon of Valencia. Can play CB and DM at a high level. Not slow but his forte lies in positioning, strength and good decision making. Consistently put in 7/10 or better performances at Valencia, despite a clueless coach and club's issues.
Pervis Estupinan of Villareal. Plays at LB. Fast, strong, good in the air. Not a great crosser but provides great width and options upfront. Similar style to Ashley Cole/Evra. Has had a better La Liga season than Pau Torres (a pure CB) in my opinion.

johanovic

Timber as a main target + N.Collins, Branthwaite, A.Hickey and J.Spence as defensive options.
Touchameni and De Jong are of course not under the radar signings but perhaps next season will the emergence of J.Garner and Hannibal for a interesting midfield group. I expect McTominay and Fred to stay.
Antony, Adeyemi and Nkunku alongside D.Nunez should be of high interest.

CraftySoAndSo

Luis Alberto at Lazio is one of the only players of his quality that you could attract. No clue about contract situation but not sure why he is never linked. Could be de jong for ETH, has the same type of quality with the ball
Him and Sarri seem to be at odds with each other and he could be off this summer.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm desperate for us to finally have some press resistant central midfielders. Midfielders who, when pressed, can keep the ball, turn away from said pressure and just instill a sense of calmness and composure into our build-up play. Preferably a 6 who drops deep rather than an 8, but ideally both.

Outside the elites of Arthur and De Jong who'd be my first two picks, we could always promote Galbraith who is of this ilk or look at Sergi Darder who is fantastic. There are other midfielders of this ilk in Sofyan Amrabat, Lobotka, Matheus Henrique, Leo Sena but they are all in a difficult phase of their career so the timing isn't ideal.

Kampl, who I've liked since he was at Salzburg, has transitioned into a DLP, and a good one at that, but I'm not 100% sold on him. Leeds' Forshaw, in possession, is fantastic in that position as he's very press resistant but is waaaaaayyyyy too big of a liability defensively.

Definitely think Darder is worth it, though. Kampl probably second choice assuming Arthur and Frenkie are no-gos.

Crashoutcassius

Him and Sarri seem to be at odds with each other and he could be off this summer.
That is interesting I hadn't heard that. He has never made it at a top club, he will be 29, you'd think he would want the last big move, and youd think we would get a few years out of him given he isn't that dynamic anyway. Would love to see it, if ETH wants to play with the ball more often than not

Bwuk

Aaron Hickey. He’d be about 12-15m I’d imagine and I think he’d be more than worth it.

Eriksen. We are losing a lot of players, Eriksen plays with the right mentality and is at an age where he could rotate in.

Billy Gilmour. Rubbish loan but he’s quality.

CraftySoAndSo

That is interesting I hadn't heard that. He has never made it at a top club, he will be 29, you'd think he would want the last big move, and youd think we would get a few years out of him given he isn't that dynamic anyway. Would love to see it, if ETH wants to play with the ball more often than not
He turned up late to pre season last summer as he was looking for a transfer and Sarri said this:
Luis Alberto did not respond to a call, it's a problem with the board. He will have to convince us of why he has done that. If he convinces us, it's all good, if he can't, he will have to apologise.
There's also been reports in the Italian press over the last month of another falling out between them, he didn't start their last match so read of that what you will. A couple of years ago he also took a pop at Lotito for buying a private jet instead of paying the players wages (which is understandable). There's no doubt he's talented but would you really want us to sign an ex Liverpool player?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Here were my choices if you haven't seen them - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-hidden-gems-thread.469152/

Since then, I'd probably add Singo, Sinisterra, Thiaw, Isaiah Jones, Slonina, Danilo of Palmeiras, Ronnie Edwards, Raum, Vitinha and one or two others to the mix.
From your first list i think whoever gets Bremer will have a bargain on their hands. Schlotterbeck signed for Dortmund but some good alternatives to him for a left-footed centre-back would be Bastoni and Gvardiol. Both linked with Spurs but i'd imagine they won't be too keen on that particular destination..

I already mentioned Raum in this thread, want him. I love the way Vitinha plays football, linked with Liverpool recently though.. Can't believe he didn't get a proper chance at Wolves.

SparkedIntoLife

From your first list i think whoever gets Bremer will have a bargain on their hands. Schlotterbeck signed for Dortmund but some good alternatives to him for a left-footed centre-back would be Bastoni and Gvardiol. Both linked with Spurs but i'd imagine they won't be too keen on that particular destination..

I already mentioned Raum in this thread, want him. I love the way Vitinha plays football, linked with Liverpool recently though.. Can't believe he didn't get a proper chance at Wolves.
Yeah Bremer's been linked to Inter but I suppose it would be contingent on De Vrij or Skriniar leaving. Bastoni is the jewel in their crown though. No way is he leaving. Certainly not for less than £100m. Great player though, you're right.

Gvardiol will be one of the best centre backs in the world over the next decade but I think his price is beyond us right now in terms of priorities. Allegedly he's valued at 70m+.

Shame about Schlotterbeck. Apparently our scouts didn't rate him. Before this season, I'd have understood but he's improved immeasurably. He said he didn't want to leave Germany though so perhaps it's a moot point.

For left footed CDs, we could do far worse than Ndicka, Kilman, Lukeba, Salisu, Theate, Colwill, Esteve, Isaak Toure and Zagadou on a free is interesting. There's a few good prospects out there.

I heard from a Hoffenheim fan recently who couldn't be more positive about Raum. Looks like we'll be in for Malacia instead, which is still a decent transfer tbf, though he's probably not as ready made.

Mystery about Vitinha. Wolves fans say he was good when he played for them. Maybe it's something to do with the Mendes link.

I think this thread highlights that there's still a lot of decent value to be found this Summer. Here's hoping we're smart and pick the right ones. I'm really excited with the knowledge of Ten Hag and Rangnick to pick out gems. One or two bigger names like Tchouameni or Antony wouldn't go amiss either, as long as we don't pay ridiculous sums for them.

OrdinaryVice

João Gomes and Danilo dos Santos from brazillian league. Great players in the making and both 21.

Crashoutcassius

He turned up late to pre season last summer as he was looking for a transfer and Sarri said this:

There's also been reports in the Italian press over the last month of another falling out between them, he didn't start their last match so read of that what you will. A couple of years ago he also took a pop at Lotito for buying a private jet instead of paying the players wages (which is understandable). There's no doubt he's talented but would you really want us to sign an ex Liverpool player?
Plenty of players have played for both teams including some very high profile players, Alberto did nothing at Liverpool. For me it would be like djemba djemba signing for Liverpool

bucky

Kouadio Koné, CM/DM, from Gladbach. Horrible season for the team, but he has looked very talented especially as of late.

Cheick Doucouré, Lens. Mentioned him a few times, holding midfielder, with good passing, positioning and as well as knack for dribbling/carrying the ball forward.

Vanderson, RB/RW for Monaco. 20 years old, looks very talented, good going forward with good passing.

Nicolás Domínguez, CM/DM for Bologna. Noticed him while watching Hickey, who has also looked promising, solid passing, good workrate.

Quentin Merlin, LB, 19 years old playing for Nantes. Great name, good passing, doesn't lose the ball much, good at dribbling/carrying the ball forward.

Warmed Omari, CB, 22 years old playing for Rennes. Excellent when it comes to aerial duels, very good passing.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Hidden gems when I played PES 2020 ML;

Great signings: Jonathan David, Eberezi Eze, William Saliba

Good signings: Anthony Gordon, Serdar Asmoun, Joao Pedro

SAFMUTD

Sulemana from Rennes, love him but still quite raw but he'd certainly get bums off seats. I also think Aouar could be decent, not a hidden gem but under the radar as interest in him has gone down a bit from clubs. I feel he could do very well in a Ten Hag system in a midfield 3 but don't know what price Lyon would ask for.
Sulemana is definitely someone to watch, never seen a full video but multiple compilations and he's fast as feck and skilfull. He's been injured for 2-3 months I believe and his goals/assists numbers arent impresive, but he's only 20 years old. For something around 20-25M it would be a great punt.

Lost bear

As we head into a new summer, and a new manager, with yet another new dawn, we always get linked to every player under the sun.

This year there is an understandably Dutch theme to the press rumours, while we still continue to get linked to familiar names like Declan Rice, Harry Kane and even Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.

But what I want to know is who are your own personal preferences for signings, who nobody else wants, or maybe nobody else has heard of? Who is a player we were linked to a few years ago who’s career has gone on quietly without acknowledgement that you think is or will be good enough to play for United? Or maybe a player at another club that no one thinks we can sign?

I’ll start with a few of my own, players I think would be good for us, some having seen with my own eyes, others admittedly having seen very little of, either the odd game in Europe, or in the last 2 cases they seem very good in all of the various football video games (I know, a mortal sin):
  • Moises Caicedo - Falls under the category of previously linked to United. He has quietly settled into life in England with Brighton and is now gradually breaking into the first team. He looks a quality player, and is already touted as being their Bissouma replacement. I say move early before he becomes the next £50M+ player we are linked with.
  • Ibrahim Sangare - Defensive Mid at PSV. Looks very strong and very capable but I have only seen 2-3 eredivisie matches of him, so might not not stack up against PL opposition. Worth a punt though.
  • Aleksander Mitrovic - I may be weird but I have always like watching him, even back at Newcastle, and thought he would suit us. Sort of player, with the aggression leading from the front, that can lift the whole team. Let him push the opposition forwards around for 60-70 minutes, then bring Ronaldo off the bench to finish them off.
  • Ben Godfrey - Granted it’s not his/Everton’s best season. But he has proven versatile across the back 4, which is something Ten Hag is known to like in his players, being able to play multiple positions. A defender who can play centrally as well as out wide has an intelligence that would help our defence out under Ten Hag.
  • Luis Sinisterra/Noa Lang - both young wide forwards who are very good in all the Various football games in terms of potential. Both great dribblers. Lang is the more versatile of the 2 it seems, Sinisterra seems more suited to the left, so Lang would be a better option, but again he’s playing in the Belgian League currently so would be a big step up.
You mention Milinkovic Savic - I’ve been watching serie a of late and he has looked really good to me. I also think the Brighton fullback who I think is named Cucarella appears a dynamic forward focused player, though not entirely sure about his defending. Just a minor contribution- will post again if anyone else comes to mind…

ole@thewheel

I will go with not so mainstream picks that would fill the gaps and improve our first team. Not actual youngsters we have to develop, but more estabilished players, that can add much needed hunger and tenacity in our team.

I am looking mostly for the attributes that we are missing on our current roster, such as physicality and determination, and in the positions I hope we actually try to fill this summer.

Central Defender

Edmond Tapsoba ( Leverkusen) - Not talked about too much, but a future £80 million defender for me. Already one of the best central defenders in Bundesliga, which we can get for £30m and pray Bayern doesnt go for him first. Absolutely fits the profile for us, a beast of a defender physically, that is extremely capable of passing the ball from the back.

Defensive Midfielder

Edson Alvarez (Ajax) - The non flashy piece of Ajax puzzle but a piece that it would fit us like a glove. A classic defensive anchor that can play as a single or a double pivot (as he does at Ajax) and as a central defender. Still 24 years old, but with over 50 caps for his country. Solid passer, physical and gritty footballer that can add value to our team for a mere £20 millions.

Right Back

Zeki Celik (Lille) - You may have heard him last year, as he was one of the outstanding pieces of 'that' Lille team that beat PSG to the league title. Even after a not so impressive year this one, he still remains one of the best playmaking right backs in Europe. At 25 years old not exactly by definition a hidden young gem but undoubtedly one that would fit and improve our team.

Striker/Wide Forward

Musa Barrow (Bologna) - You would not have heard about him outside Italy but he is certainly worth taking a look at. One of the most in form young attackers in Seria A can operate as a LW (mostly) and and as ST. He has great technique, physicality, finishing abilities and hunger to improve our team for as cheap as £25 million.

Last edited:

Sea-Cow

Sulemana from Rennes, love him but still quite raw but he'd certainly get bums off seats. I also think Aouar could be decent, not a hidden gem but under the radar as interest in him has gone down a bit from clubs. I feel he could do very well in a Ten Hag system in a midfield 3 but don't know what price Lyon would ask for.
Has he been injured? I remember seeing some highlights from his performance against PSG early in the year but then haven't really seen anything since.

Sea-Cow

Jacob Ramsey, not so much hidden but he is great.
Agree with this also. Don't watch every Villa game of course but he always looks extremely quick with the ball at his feet, and he has a great shot on him too.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I will go with not so mainstream picks that would fill the gaps and improve our first team. Not actual youngsters we have to develop, but more estabilished players, that can add much needed hunger and tenacity in our team.

I am looking mostly for the attributes that we are missing on our current roster, such as physicality and determination, and in the positions I hope we actually try to fill this summer.

Central Defender

Edmond Tapsoba ( Leverkusen) - Not talked about too much, but a future £80 million defender for me. Already one of the best central defenders in Bundesliga, which we can get for £30m and pray Bayern doesnt go for him first. Absolutely fits the profile for us, a beast of a defender physically, that is extremely capable of passing the ball from the back.

Defensive Midfielder

Edson Alvarez (Ajax) - The non flashy piece of Ajax puzzle but a piece that it would fit us like a glove. A classic defensive anchor that can play as a single or a double pivot (as he does at Ajax) and as a central defender. Still 24 years old, but with over 50 caps for his country. Solid passer, physical and gritty footballer that can add value to our team for a mere £20 millions.

Right Back

Zeki Celik (Lille) - You may have heard him last year, as he was one of the outstanding pieces of 'that' Lille team that beat PSG to the league title. Even after a not so impressive year this one, he still remains one of the best playmaking right backs in Europe. At 25 years old not exactly by definition a hidden young gem but undoubtedly one that would fit and improve our team.

Striker/Wide Forward

Musa Barrow (Bologna) - You would not have heard about him outside Italy but he is certainly worth taking a look at. One of the most in form young attackers in Seria A can operate as a LW (mostly) and and as ST. He has great technique, physicality, finishing abilities and hunger to improve our team for as cheap as £25 million.
Good list. I certainly think Tapsoba would be a good signing. Doubt 30m gets it done though

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
1 other that I like/can't believe he cost under £2M is Joel Veltman at Brighton. Came from Ajax too, just a shame he's 30 years old.
That would piss off so many Dutch people :lol: He pretty much was the whipping boy for Ajax and the Dutch NT.
Even though he is pretty decent, nowhere near good enough for United of course.

DarkXaero

Don't think he's really a "hidden gem" but how do people feel about Yeremi Pino as a right winger option? Only 19, having an impressive season for Villareal. The release clause of 80 million euros is a bit on high side (was only 30 mill euros before November 2021), but maybe there's a chance to get him for cheaper.

Lyng

Bayerns midfield talent Paul Wanner looks legit. Very young but has an absurd amount of talent.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Don't think he's really a "hidden gem" but how do people feel about Yeremi Pino as a right winger option? Only 19, having an impressive season for Villareal. The release clause of 80 million euros is a bit on high side (was only 30 mill euros before November 2021), but maybe there's a chance to get him for cheaper.
Agreed, I think he'd be perfect for a ten hag system.

rbnZz

Everybody would like to see Nunez as the new striker but what do you guys think about Schick? He's playing very well at Leverkussen this season.

SAF is the GOAT

Any LB in the Bundes Liga that Ralf can bring to ETH as an alternative to Tyrell Malacia ?

SparkedIntoLife

Any LB in the Bundes Liga that Ralf can bring to ETH as an alternative to Tyrell Malacia ?
Raum from Hoffenheim is probably the most well rounded. I like Borna Sosa of Stuttgart. Insane going forward but may be found wanting defensively. As someone mentioned, Bensebaini of Monchengladbach is talented. Luca Netz is raw but promising. Think he already turned City down(?) to develop in Germany. Interesting, neither of those two have really played LB for BMG this season (Bensebaini at CD, Netz as LM/LWB predominantly) but both are fundamentally LBs in my view and BMG play 3421.