Your midfield 3?

fps

I don't believe there should be a set midfield 3. I believe Lingard, Fred, Pereira, need game-time, in the midfield and 10 in Fred's case, and in 10 in the other cases, because they should be fighting for their futures and showing they belong. This season is a test for those players, hopefully a transformative one. Gomes can also come in at times but that shouldn't be with a burden of expectation.

Bestietom

I'm all for giving Gomes a chance, but as a 10.
In tough games against the top 6/7, I would play Mctominay, Fred, Pogba.
Home games against the lower teams I would like to see Mctominay, Pogba, Gomes.

Fosu-Mens

Since we don't have a Robson then I think kids will be given limited chances in midfield. Ole would be tempted to play safer hands like Matic, Fred, Periera or Mata in that role. Having said that, if we genuinely interested in playing a kid then Garner should be the guy. Gomes is more advanced in his development but he's like 3ft tall and he's more suited as either no 10 (which is an inappropriate role for someone so short) or as a LW. Garner on the other hand is more of a Michael Carrick type of player who can switch in a b2b player. That means he'll slot between Mctominay and Pogba brilliantly. On top of that he's the building blocks of a captain having already captained England U17.
Gomes got the technical and passing ability, and is suprisingly good at shielding the ball when pressed by one player despite his size.
If we are able to press more as a cohesive unit, his lack of size will not be as important(look at how Xavi was able to function in Barcelonas pressing despite being neither fast nor strong). Additionally, if our aim is to become better at ball retention, then Gomes is one of the few players in the squad capable of doing this at a high level.

Pereira can pass when given time, but does not perform well while pressed.
Matic can play when against team sitting low and not pressing. Against oppositions that press or can move the ball he will struggle.
Garner is not Carrick. Dylan Levitt is the one most similar to Carrick, and would be the one to potentially play the controlling/passing role. Garner is a B2B player, Jack of all trades, but a master of none.

Pass and Move

Fred
McT Pogba
Gomes
Rashford Martial

Fred for Greenwood/James/Lingard etc when we’re chasing a game.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Surely if he's short, no. 10 is a good spot for him. Short players are the most technical and agile so attacking positions are where they thrive! Look at the best CAM's around, particularly City all short guys.
Gomes got the technical and passing ability, and is suprisingly good at shielding the ball when pressed by one player despite his size.
If we are able to press more as a cohesive unit, his lack of size will not be as important(look at how Xavi was able to function in Barcelonas pressing despite being neither fast nor strong). Additionally, if our aim is to become better at ball retention, then Gomes is one of the few players in the squad capable of doing this at a high level.

Matic can play when against team sitting low and not pressing. Against oppositions that press or can move the ball he will struggle.
Garner is not Carrick. Dylan Levitt is the one most similar to Carrick, and would be the one to potentially play the controlling/passing role. Garner is a B2B player, Jack of all trades, but a master of none.
In normal circumstances I agree however we're talking about the EPL here. Can you see someone like Gomes battling around defenders such as Maguire for most of the 90 minutes? That doesn't mean that he hasn't got a future with us. He'll be more suited on the left wing, battling out the right back and then shift deceivingly inside the small box

I am also not that comfortable with playing Gomes as no 10 when Pogba is still around. I don't think that Pogba is suited for a 2 men CM and if he is, then you need a beast like Kante or Keane near him not McT.

devilish

All options are far from perfect, I think if Fred transforms into the player we expected him to be than perhaps him, Pog and McTominay is the way to go in most games. I'd be happy for Andreas to be given regular chances though, he got the assist for Martial on Sunday and has the energy and grit for the high press style we want to play.

I agree with this. Throwing Gomes in the no. 10 role with our current crop behind him would be a disaster waiting to happen. He's much more likely to be a starter from the left hand side. I'm optimistic Garner will get a few chances to shine in the Europa/Cup games.
I can't help thinking that Periera is more suited as a winger or a mezzala rather then as a CM. His crossing is quite good.

possys2

Didn't Phil Jones used to play DCM at Blackburn? Maybe give him a run in that position in the early cup matches, see if he has still got it?

Nialinho

I can't help thinking that Periera is more suited as a winger or a mezzala rather then as a CM. His crossing is quite good.
He doesn't really have that burst of pace that's needed for a winger. Everyone seems to think he's a lost cause but I just think with regular game time he'll begin to show a lot more, he's far more talented than people give him credit for. But yeah he's got an excellent delivery, we'd also be much stronger from set pieces with him in the team.

Fosu-Mens

In normal circumstances I agree however we're talking about the EPL here. Can you see someone like Gomes battling around defenders such as Maguire for most of the 90 minutes? That doesn't mean that he hasn't got a future with us. He'll be more suited on the left wing, battling out the right back and then shift deceivingly inside the small box

I am also not that comfortable with playing Gomes as no 10 when Pogba is still around. I don't think that Pogba is suited for a 2 men CM and if he is, then you need a beast like Kante or Keane near him not McT.
If we are able to press as a cohesive unit, like Barca and City, then this mitigates the need for having extremely fast players like Rashford sprinting in the press. That being a big IF, because it is very difficult to achieve. Liverpools pressing is not as cohesive but they are good at it and with Firminhos positioning it makes it easier.

Gomes as a player is more suited to a possessionbased team and would suit well with the style Guardiola prefers. Same as Mata would.
Pogba and Gomes could play together if we were better at keeping the ball, and we would be better at keeping the ball if they played together...

What you suggest with playing on the wing and drifting inside is the most likely position he will get playtime this season.

Ricardo de la Vega

What has Fred done so far in his Man Utd career? Can anyone suggest any moment when he's looked even remotely competent? In the absence of such evidence, I would have to go with Pereira, McT and Pogba, with a front 3 of Rashford, Martial and Lingaard. Plenty of creativity in that team and Rashford and Martial to swap places on the pitch repeatedly throughout the game as part of a fluid attacking trio - just need Rash to find his shooting boots.

Mcking

I'd say Pogba, Fred and McTominay, but Solskjaer is obviously looking at 4231, so I'd go with Pogba, McTominay and Lingard or Gomes until we can bring in a DM.

Utdfanabroad

Fred, Pogba and McTominay for me. Quick, powerful and good pressing. Really am hoping Fred will push on this season

Red4Life_#7

----Pogba
Fred -- McTominay

Thou Periera is currently more suited to the premiership than Fred. Fred has great attributes to become a very good deep laying playmaker and I feel this season he could begin to show it.

I would also like to see a Midfield (4) diamond:

---------------Lingard
------
-----Pogba-------------McTominay
---------------
-----------------Fred

Harold_Giles

I'm not Lingard's biggest fan but I would like to see him being the most advanced midfielder - with McTominay and Pogba working behind him. If not Lingard, then Mata in the #10.
I don't see what Pereira or Fred can offer us at the moment, based on their previous appearances.
I believe that would also see James and Greenwood given plenty game time on the right flank.

Nialinho

What has Fred done so far in his Man Utd career? Can anyone suggest any moment when he's looked even remotely competent? In the absence of such evidence, I would have to go with Pereira, McT and Pogba, with a front 3 of Rashford, Martial and Lingaard. Plenty of creativity in that team and Rashford and Martial to swap places on the pitch repeatedly throughout the game as part of a fluid attacking trio - just need Rash to find his shooting boots.
I think the general consensus is that Fred must be a much better player than he showed last year. At Shakhtar he was touted as a high energy, technical midfielder who can win the ball back and play Hollywood passes from deep. Perhaps it's wishful thinking he'll improve but he definitely should be given chances considering our lack of options.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd love to see us at least give Pogba, McTominay and Gomes a go. Having two players as technically gifted as Pogba and Gomes could go some way in helping us control the midfield. Gomes might prove that he's not quite ready but I'd like to see us try it.

Mcking

----Pogba
Fred -- McTominay

Thou Periera is currently more suited to the premiership than Fred. Fred has great attributes to become a very good deep laying playmaker and I feel this season he could begin to show it.

I would also like to see a Midfield (4) diamond:

---------------Lingard
------
-----Pogba-------------McTominay
---------------
-----------------Fred
Why do you think so? I think they have similar drawbacks, but Fred is a lot more physical and has no problem getting himself into the action.

Decomposing In Paris

I'm not sure why everyone has just assumed that Fred is going to turn up this season. He always looks lost, that's not something that would've changed over one pre-season. I'm afraid McTominay, Pogba and Pereira is the best we have. Although I'd love Gomes to get some serious game time and claim Pereiras spot gradually.
Would love this, but it's hard not to be concerned that we are leaving our defence with very little protection.

Red4Life_#7

Why do you think so? I think they have similar drawbacks, but Fred is a lot more physical and has no problem getting himself into the action.
Yes I agree with you with the drawbacks. Periera seems to handle the speed of the game better and physically too (going forward shielding the ball). Fred does get stuck in more and is better defensively.

devilish

If we are able to press as a cohesive unit, like Barca and City, then this mitigates the need for having extremely fast players like Rashford sprinting in the press. That being a big IF, because it is very difficult to achieve. Liverpools pressing is not as cohesive but they are good at it and with Firminhos positioning it makes it easier.

Gomes as a player is more suited to a possessionbased team and would suit well with the style Guardiola prefers. Same as Mata would.
Pogba and Gomes could play together if we were better at keeping the ball, and we would be better at keeping the ball if they played together...

What you suggest with playing on the wing and drifting inside is the most likely position he will get playtime this season.
I beg to differ on that. Pogba is Pogba. He'll give you minutes of absolute brilliance followed by lapses of concentration. A Pep run team would probably hate Pogba because he does lose possession and he won't run enough to win the ball back.

Under such circumstances you simply to have to build the team around him. That means a three men CM with him, a defensive minded midfielder and a box 2 box one. You might be able to play with a 2 men CM however you would need an absolute beast like Kante to do so.

Gomes can and should have a career with United. However I think he's better suited on the flank. His magic would be fully exploited there while limiting any issues coming from his lack of physique

Bestietom

Ole will have to find a solution for midfield until he is able to reinforce our squad. I think we are far behind other teams in this area and it could be where we lose some games this season. I hope that we find someone for the January window.

devilish

He doesn't really have that burst of pace that's needed for a winger. Everyone seems to think he's a lost cause but I just think with regular game time he'll begin to show a lot more, he's far more talented than people give him credit for. But yeah he's got an excellent delivery, we'd also be much stronger from set pieces with him in the team.
He's not James if that's what you're asking. However he's got enough pace to be a good inside forward. Its all about the players we'll be playing and the system we'll be using. If we got 3 CM that have enough quality and workrate to let inside forwards up for most of the time then someone like Angel Gomes would be an absolute nightmare to play against. He'll sit just between the full back and the CB causing all sort of havoc

Brightonian

Mctominay, Pogba, Gomes for all easier matches. Mctominay, Fred, Pogba at 10 in hard matches.
This 100%.
yep agree with this

McT and Fred as a double pivot looked excellent at times (PSG)
Best possible scenarios!
Pogba, McTominay and Gomes for easier games. Fred in for Gomes for other games.
In tough games against the top 6/7, I would play Mctominay, Fred, Pogba.
Home games against the lower teams I would like to see Mctominay, Pogba, Gomes.
What they said.

Nikelesh Reddy

Pogba,Mctominay,Fred in a midfield 3...,Although I still have doubts about the quality of Fred and Mctominay,but given the options at our disposal right now,these 3 should be our midfield 3...

neilv93

Didn't Phil Jones used to play DCM at Blackburn? Maybe give him a run in that position in the early cup matches, see if he has still got it?
Ideally Jones will see if he has still got it at another club.

SteveW

McTomminay, Pogba, Gomes by a fecking mile.

The other 3 arent good enough

SteveW

I agree with this. Throwing Gomes in the no. 10 role with our current crop behind him would be a disaster waiting to happen. He's much more likely to be a starter from the left hand side. I'm optimistic Garner will get a few chances to shine in the Europa/Cup games.
That underrates Gomes hugely.

SteveW

Our play would immediately improve with Gomes in the team. We are crying out for a player of his ilk.

Nialinho

That underrates Gomes hugely.
We've only seen Gomes play youth football, preseason and the odd token sub appearances late in a game. He has obvious quality but if anything I think he's getting over-hyped. He's yet to start a game for the first team and already people think he's the new messiah. I'm backing him to become a great player for us (if he stays..) but you talk about him like he's already an accomplished player when he's an 18 year old prospect.

Last edited:

Nialinho

He's not James if that's what you're asking. However he's got enough pace to be a good inside forward. Its all about the players we'll be playing and the system we'll be using. If we got 3 CM that have enough quality and workrate to let inside forwards up for most of the time then someone like Angel Gomes would be an absolute nightmare to play against. He'll sit just between the full back and the CB causing all sort of havoc
Nope, don't recall asking that at all :lol: Just don't think he's got the pace to be an exciting option out wide.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
He played there several times for United under Fergie as well plus a few times for England under Capello and did very well but its years ago now

With the likes of Fred and Matic not in the first team at the moment, it unlikely that Jones will be needed there again