Your midfield 3?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Who would you want in your midfield 3?

I saw the below tweet and I thought ok, let's ask the caf on their opinion. For me it would be McTominay, Pogba, Gomes. We would have ball retention and control with Pogba and Gomes in tandem pulling the strings which would give us a grip on most games. Against a low block (as Mourinho calls it) the above trio would be even better equipped to create openings.

Canagel

Mctominay, Pogba, Gomes for all easier matches. Mctominay, Fred, Pogba at 10 in hard matches.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What is Robson doing these days? Is he interested in a comeback?

UDontMessWith24

Mctominay, Pogba, Gomes for all easier matches. Mctominay, Fred, Pogba at 10 in hard matches.
This 100%. The way we were set up on Sunday, with Pogba leaving McTominay out to dry and Perreira hiding, was suicide. Gomes can help maintain possession and fluidity in attack by giving Pogba another playmaker to work with, and Fred can provide McTominay with better support while allowing Pogba to drift further forward. Not everyone sets the world on fire in their first season in the PL, but we have plenty of examples of players that came good after a shaky first season once they’ve adapted so I’m not ready to give up on Fred. He didn’t all of a sudden forget how to play football.

devilish

Your midfield 3 with the options from our current squad.
Well Robson is an ambassador at the club. He is probably less finished then Matic is and if he can still pass the ball straight then he would be the second best midfielder in our team

Seriously the options are pretty lame. Id say Pogba-McT-some random dude. I don't mind us giving a shot to Garner. Better young then shit

PieCrust

It has to be Pogba, McT and Fred if you're talking a typical 433 w/o a #10. With a #10, Pogba, McT or Fred, and Mata -OR- McT, Fred and Pogba at #10, which would be my preference.

I expect Fred to be a significant contributer this season. Mata is the best pure #10 in the squad, but can't provide the same pressing effort of Lingard or Andreas.

jeepers

Well Robson is an ambassador at the club. He is probably less finished then Matic is and if he can still pass the ball straight then he would be the second best midfielder in our team

Seriously the options are pretty lame. Id say Pogba-McT-some random dude. I don't mind us giving a shot to Garner. Better young then shit
Your post is all over the place. Robson will be the second best midfielder in the team if he returns. Garner. Young in midfield?

I’ll take Pogba - McT - Gomes. Fred’s too inconsistent at basic midfielding so far when he’s played. Loses the ball too easily for anyone’s liking. Seems like his shooting is average, too, from what I’ve seen in pre-season.

devilish

Your post is all over the place. Robson will be the second best midfielder in the team if he returns. Garner. Young in midfield?

I’ll take Pogba - McT - Gomes. Fred’s too inconsistent at basic midfielding so far when he’s played. Loses the ball too easily for anyone’s liking. Seems like his shooting is average, too, from what I’ve seen in pre-season.
I never thought that I'll have to explain a joke/jab on redcafe. Oh well.

Gomes is good but he's Tyrion Lannister size. Pogba is weak defensively and Mctominay is not Roy Keane. Under such circumstances I'd rather see us introducing garner then Gomes. The latter is more advanced. Garner is what we need

UpWithRivers

Depends on the team.
Against low block Id give Sanchez a go in the number 10 role. Might even try Mata on the right. That would give us 3 players who can thread a pass.
With more pressing teams Id stick as we are. Give Periera a run of games.
Against the likes of City, liverpool, Spurs I would sit Matic in front of the back four and tell him not to move. Not that he can anyway.

jeepers

I never thought that I'll have to explain a joke/jab on redcafe. Oh well.

Gomes is good but he's Tyrion Lannister size. Pogba is weak defensively and Mctominay is not Roy Keane. Under such circumstances I'd rather see us introducing garner then Gomes. The latter is more advanced. Garner is what we need
It was a terrible attempt at a joke re: Young on my part.

I would love to see us introducing Garner. He was brilliant against WBA, but then again that WBA team was crap and it was u23. I’ve my fingers crossed that Garner will do well whenever he’s called up for first time action and that we wouldn’t need to spend a shitload of cash on Longstaff, who is basically just older and ahead in development. Seems like Carrick has been a great mentor to some of the younger players, so hopefully it’s likewise for Garner since Garner is showing some of Carrick’s qualities atm.

I would love to see both Gomes and Garner play substantial minutes in smaller games (cups, Europa) this season. Unfortunately, if we’re to persist with Fred, he will need those minutes as well and a three of Gomes, Garner and Fred would be too weak, imo. Unless Gomes gets time as a inside forward/advanced playmaker on the wings.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd love to see a Garner, Gomes, Fred midfield in the Europa league or even the League Cup.

Last edited:

Lentwood

Its probably the biggest question mark over the team currently.

It looks to me like the club have decided Pogba will play deeper, probably to get him on the ball more and also because he's not great at pressing. I'm not sure this is a viable solution for a team with ambitions of winning trophies, however, as we look so exposed at times

Personally, I don't think your two holding players have to be that great on the ball, as long as they can keep the ball moving I don't think it matters if they can hit raking 40-yard passes

McTominay is an obvious choice and then it's what to do with Pogba.

I would probably line-up like this;

DM/CM - McTominay
DM/CM - Fred
CM - Pogba

Problem with that is two-fold. Firstly, Fred isn't that good! Second, you lose some aspect of the press lining up that way

I think the only solution IF we want to play pressing football will be an unpopular one. Sell Pogba in the next Summer window and bring in two top midfielders with the money. One to partner McTom at the base and one all-action, high-pressing #10. I just don't see how Pogba fits into a pressing team. He can't/won't press so can't play further forward and isn't disciplined enough to play in a two, in my opinion

freeurmind

weak willed
Pogba-Garner-McTominay. I'd be happy to bring in Lingard for some games but trust none of the other options.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Midfield two, Pogba and McTominay, three in front and a lone striker up top: 4231. Simples.

Mindhunter

Against the top 6 sides, I would play a 3 man midfield of Fred - Pogba - McTominay (depending on our style). For games against the other sides, I would play a 2 man midfield with an AM i.e., Pogba and Matic/McTominay in the center and Lingard/Mata ahead of them.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What a stupid poll. The two correct combinations are not even listed

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I want to give Fred a chance. Pogba, Fred and McTominay could be a good mix but it all depends on how Fred performs. We'll never know if we don't get try him there over the course of a few games, but that could be risky if he doesn't perform to a decent standard

Eddy_JukeZ

yep agree with this

McT and Fred as a double pivot looked excellent at times (PSG)
We had 30%~ possession and completely fluked that game. Our midfield was awful all game.

That performance has become so overrated as time passes by.

buckooo1978

We had 30%~ possession and completely fluked that game. Our midfield was awful all game.

That performance has become so overrated as time passes by.
I mean from a defensive point of view. I wasnt implying that we controlled the game. McTominay and Fred did a great job at being compact, stifling PSG and helping snuff out attacks.

After seeing how exposed we were against Chelsea its certainly something we could use in the big games.

Negative Red

I'm not sure why everyone has just assumed that Fred is going to turn up this season. He always looks lost, that's not something that would've changed over one pre-season. I'm afraid McTominay, Pogba and Pereira is the best we have. Although I'd love Gomes to get some serious game time and claim Pereiras spot gradually.

TRUERED89

This 100%. The way we were set up on Sunday, with Pogba leaving McTominay out to dry and Perreira hiding, was suicide. Gomes can help maintain possession and fluidity in attack by giving Pogba another playmaker to work with, and Fred can provide McTominay with better support while allowing Pogba to drift further forward. Not everyone sets the world on fire in their first season in the PL, but we have plenty of examples of players that came good after a shaky first season once they’ve adapted so I’m not ready to give up on Fred. He didn’t all of a sudden forget how to play football.
Best possible scenarios!

devilish

It was a terrible attempt at a joke re: Young on my part.

I would love to see us introducing Garner. He was brilliant against WBA, but then again that WBA team was crap and it was u23. I’ve my fingers crossed that Garner will do well whenever he’s called up for first time action and that we wouldn’t need to spend a shitload of cash on Longstaff, who is basically just older and ahead in development. Seems like Carrick has been a great mentor to some of the younger players, so hopefully it’s likewise for Garner since Garner is showing some of Carrick’s qualities atm.

I would love to see both Gomes and Garner play substantial minutes in smaller games (cups, Europa) this season. Unfortunately, if we’re to persist with Fred, he will need those minutes as well and a three of Gomes, Garner and Fred would be too weak, imo. Unless Gomes gets time as a inside forward/advanced playmaker on the wings.
Not really. It had punch and it was derived from what Ole said which I believe to be true. This team does need a Bryan Robson.

Lets forget about flashy names like Jadon, Eriksen, Dybala etc most of which would struggle in a weak CM. What this team needs is Robson. Someone who would provide incredible balance and leadership in midfield. Someone like Robson would keep Pogba in line, in the same way Pirlo did, while concurrently allowing us to play kids since we would know that no matter what happens, Robson would guide him and cover for him

Since we don't have a Robson then I think kids will be given limited chances in midfield. Ole would be tempted to play safer hands like Matic, Fred, Periera or Mata in that role. Having said that, if we genuinely interested in playing a kid then Garner should be the guy. Gomes is more advanced in his development but he's like 3ft tall and he's more suited as either no 10 (which is an inappropriate role for someone so short) or as a LW. Garner on the other hand is more of a Michael Carrick type of player who can switch in a b2b player. That means he'll slot between Mctominay and Pogba brilliantly. On top of that he's the building blocks of a captain having already captained England U17.

TRUERED89

Not really. It had punch and it was derived from what Ole said which I believe to be true. This team does need a Bryan Robson.

Lets forget about flashy names like Jadon, Eriksen, Dybala etc most of which would struggle in a weak CM. What this team needs is Robson. Someone who would provide incredible balance and leadership in midfield. Someone like Robson would keep Pogba in line, in the same way Pirlo did, while concurrently allowing us to play kids since we would know that no matter what happens, Robson would guide him and cover for him

Since we don't have a Robson then I think kids will be given limited chances in midfield. Ole would be tempted to play safer hands like Matic, Fred, Periera or Mata in that role. Having said that, if we genuinely interested in playing a kid then Garner should be the guy. Gomes is more advanced in his development but he's like 3ft tall and he's more suited as either no 10 (which is an inappropriate role for someone so short) or as a LW. Garner on the other hand is more of a Michael Carrick type of player who can switch in a b2b player. That means he'll slot between Mctominay and Pogba brilliantly. On top of that he's the building blocks of a captain having already captained England U17.
Surely if he's short, no. 10 is a good spot for him. Short players are the most technical and agile so attacking positions are where they thrive! Look at the best CAM's around, particularly City all short guys.

Andersons Dietician

Our 2 best midfielders at pressing are probably Lingard and Fred if we really want to class Lingard as that but I can’t think of a good combination that gets them both in a team with Pogba other than throwing Lingard on the right and I’d rather see James there and I’m not sure I’d trust a 2 of Pogba and Fred.

Nialinho

All options are far from perfect, I think if Fred transforms into the player we expected him to be than perhaps him, Pog and McTominay is the way to go in most games. I'd be happy for Andreas to be given regular chances though, he got the assist for Martial on Sunday and has the energy and grit for the high press style we want to play.

I agree with this. Throwing Gomes in the no. 10 role with our current crop behind him would be a disaster waiting to happen. He's much more likely to be a starter from the left hand side. I'm optimistic Garner will get a few chances to shine in the Europa/Cup games.

Camilo

You play Pogba and McTominay since they're both competent and effective footballers, then you pick someone.

Is Fred a footballer? Maybe he's good, no idea. Still.

Pereira? Nah, crap player.

Matic is still a decent option?!

I guess if you're going to play a proper three man midfield then give Fred a run, because he's the only mystery left. We know exactly what the other lot are going to give; 6/10 performances a best.

Alemar

We need to try Gomes instead of Lingard at CAM position.

GenZRed

Pogba, McTominay and Gomes for easier games. Fred in for Gomes for other games.

Infra-red

I'd probably go with McTominay, Fred, Pogba at the moment, although it is far from ideal.

We really should have addressed this problem in the summer.