Your most overrated footballer

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
For me, it was Henke Larsson. Thought he was absolutely the best player in the world around the time he chipped Stefan Klos. Don't get me wrong, I think Larsson was a special player at that time but I think I overrated him a bit!

Who is your favorite player that you overrated?

9 in the row. :cool:

SpyLuke10

Atm, probably Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Juventus Pogba is up there. Hes a better player nowadays at United than he was at Juve.

Hazard as well, I was saying that he was overrated prior to the 16/17 season.

Joe Gomez is kinda overrated.

Raheem Sterling as well, at least as a goalscorer, hes a tap in merchant. Pretty good as a creator though on the wings. Gabriel Jesus is a tap in merchant as well.

Sergio Ramos is well up there, hasn't been a very good defender, defensively... in many years.

Marcelo has never been particularly good defensively.

If you spoke to liverpool fans you'd think that firmino was the best centre forward in world football, hes a tad overrated if you ask me, though hes still a really good player.

tldr: TAA currently. Honourable mentions to Gomez, Sterling, Firmino, G. Jesus, Marcelo and Ramos. I don't think Pogba and Hazard are overrated these days. But they were up until around 2017.

edit: I actually sort of agree with Pirlo. Great great player but not quite on the same level as Scholes or Xavi. Xavi > Scholes > Pirlo IMO.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Currently Asensio and Isco. From Isco I tend to forget that he loves to turn on himself, and that he does not always provide what he should.
In the past lots of players: I always looked at Iker's miraculous saves, but I was very benevolent with his shit feet control, or when he left the area to catch the ball without calculating well, what we call in Spanish "going out for grapes".
Roberto Ayala, I loved his presence, I even empathized with his red cards and aggressions.
And at the top of the pedestal, Fernando Redondo.Everything was poetry, from the elbows in the face to steal a ball to the wrong passes, justified because some team mate was misplaced.

United58

Shinji Kagawa, I fecking adored him when he was with us, his passing was so smooth, I hated that Moyes shunted him out to the bench/left wing and van Gaal sold him :(

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I think almost all the players I overrated to death were when I was a kid/teenager and I irrationally liked some players to the point I thought they were much greater than they were. I really liked Gaizka Mendieta because of his hair and he was good in my bootleg videogame, and thus thoguht he was a top top player in the world

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's strange how most of our players go from overrated to underrated by fans of other clubs. This has happened to Rashford Shaw Martial Pogba and De gea. People currently think Maguire James and AWB are overrated

Son

Pogba at Juve
Mendieta
Hulk
Donnarumma
Okocha
Klose

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

Juventus Pogba is up there. Hes a better player nowadays at United than he was at Juve.

Raheem Sterling as well, at least as a goalscorer, hes a tap in merchant. Pretty good as a creator though on the wings. Gabriel Jesus is a tap in merchant as well.

Sergio Ramos is well up there, hasn't been a very good defender, defensively... in many years.

If you spoke to liverpool fans you'd think that firmino was the best centre forward in world football, hes a tad overrated if you ask me, though hes still a really good player.

tldr: TAA currently. Honourable mentions to Gomez, Sterling, Firmino, G. Jesus, Marcelo and Ramos. I don't think Pogba and Hazard are overrated these days. But they were up until around 2017.

edit: I actually sort of agree with Pirlo. Great great player but not quite on the same level as Scholes or Xavi. Xavi > Scholes > Pirlo IMO.
Isn't it about who you as an individual overrated, and not others? In which case, it would be a players that you had a soft spot for, at the expense of reality.

Ramos

I suppose i overrated Hazard a bit. Been seeing him as a top 5 player in the world for at least since 2015, which he's probably not.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Riquelme. I’d pick him over Zidane and I don’t think many others would at all

stevoc

I know a few Liverpool fans who at pretty much any point over the last 20+ years thought they had the best striker in world football. Same with most other positions also.

stevoc

I know; my logic was I rated him incredibly highly, the professionals Moyes and van Gaal, did not, ergo I was overrating him
To be fair though Klopp and Ferguson both rated him and i wouldn't put too much stock in anything Moyes thought during his time at United.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Dennis Bergkamp. Good player, but his record ain't all that. Arsenal fans think he was some kind of god.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Welbeck. I really bought into the whole "defensive striker" thing, especially after his man-marking job on Xabi Alonso and the miraculous start of the 2011/12 season. But that was all Fergie.

Anderson. I had believed in him way longer than I should've. That game against Chelsea in a Cup should've been the turning point #184...

Thiago. I still have a soft spot for him and probably rate him a bit higher than his simply "very good" level that he seemed to settle on.

mshnsh

I know i will get a hiding but here goes (in no particular order);

1.Cristiano Ronaldo: I dont dispute that he is one of the greatest goalscorers ever but outside of this goalscoring art his all round play has often been average even in his prime compared to some of the elite of the game. Based purely on his goals and longevity i would have him in top 10 of all time but never in top 3.

2.Zidane: Big moments in big games but never consistent enough to warrant comparison to luis ronaldo. Won the ballondor for 2 goals in the 1998 final and is often put in top 10 of all time lists.

Paxi

Welbeck. I really bought into the whole "defensive striker" thing, especially after his man-marking job on Xabi Alonso and the miraculous start of the 2011/12 season. But that was all Fergie.

Anderson. I had believed in him way longer than I should've. That game against Chelsea in a Cup should've been the turning point #184...

Thiago. I still have a soft spot for him and probably rate him a bit higher than his simply "very good" level that he seemed to settle on.
The chant where he shat of fabregas probably didn't help. :smirk:

Also, agreed on Thiago. Aesthetically very pleasing player to watch imo but is he that good. Don't think he lived up to the hype but obviously very very talented kid that got hampered by injuries.

Robertd0803

Hazard. Good but never that level.
Neymar. Although that might be more to do with poor career choices.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I know a few Liverpool fans who at pretty much any point over the last 20+ years thought they had the best striker in world football. Same with most other positions also.
They constantly do that. Right now they have the best GK itw, probably the best LB and definitely the best RB itw but the best FB pair for sure, the best CB in a generation, best young CB in Gomes, best DM in Fabinho and best captain in Henderson, also the greatest substitution ever made in Wijnaldum and the best front 3 itw.

Suarez also had the greatest ever season in the PL bar none and this Liverpool team is the greatest in English history.

All those are legitimately claims I've heard from Liverpool fans. Online and in person.

It's funny that were clearly the best team in PL times. We've won 13. But nothing of ours was the best. They actually argue Salah or Ronaldo, forgetting Ronaldo scored 42 goals in England as a 22 year old.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Angel di Maria. Some of my friends still rate him. I think hes shite.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Currently Asensio and Isco. From Isco I tend to forget that he loves to turn on himself, and that he does not always provide what he should.
In the past lots of players: I always looked at Iker's miraculous saves, but I was very benevolent with his shit feet control, or when he left the area to catch the ball without calculating well, what we call in Spanish "going out for grapes".
Roberto Ayala, I loved his presence, I even empathized with his red cards and aggressions.
And at the top of the pedestal, Fernando Redondo.Everything was poetry, from the elbows in the face to steal a ball to the wrong passes, justified because some team mate was misplaced.
I like that phrase, I may have to create a British version. Next time I see a keeper wondering I'll say 'look at him, he's going to the chippy' and see if it catches on.

For me personally it's Alex, the Brazilian defender. I know he isn't particularly rated but I had mates who really liked him when he was at Chelsea, and I suspected it was for that lightning bolt of a goal he scored against Liverpool rather than actually being any good at the back.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I can't think of a single outstanding, really game changing performance by him in ~5 seasons with us. Still does enough stuff well enough to be a regular starter under various managers.

KennyBurner

Marcus Rashford. I need him to replicate this season next season so I can stop overrating him. If he wasn't a United player i really wouldn't believe in him as much as I do. Very effective player when given support but feels a bit clumsy sometimes.

hmchan

Couldn't imagine how terrible the performance would be if there's a team like this:

GK - Bravo
RB - Ramos
CB - Stones
CB - Maguire
LB - Marcelo
RM - Muller
CM - Kante
CM - Kroos
LM - J. Rodriguez
ST - Chicharito
ST - Jesus

Paxi

Virgil van Dijk. Good defender but feck me you'd think he's Baresi, Maldini, Nesta rolled into one.

Ludens the Red

Robbie Savage. Growing up for whatever reason even though to everyone else he was a gigantic wum twat with zero footballing skill, to me he was like a Makelele/Pirlo hybrid.