Your most overrated footballer

Redcy

Arturo Vidal - 2018 - I thought this guy was going to be the big miss back in that year, sadly he was pretty much the greatest midfielder available, has gone on to play quite a few games for Barca, but never really continued that rise after his injury.

BFernandes

Controversial, but Zlatan.

Yeah he had a fairly good season when he was with us, but I remember the amount of absolute gilt-edge chances that he would also miss most games. That's been the same throughout his career.

Anyone that's played for us, Barca, Juve and Milan are obviously good, but I don't think he's as good as he, and others think he is. Can't stand his persona either.

Giggs86

Yeah he had a fairly good season when he was with us, but I remember the amount of absolute gilt-edge chances that he would also miss most games. That's been the same throughout his career.

Anyone that's played for us, Barca, Juve and Milan are obviously good, but I don't think he's as good as he, and others think he is. Can't stand his persona either.
One of the all time greats. I'd put him right below Ronaldo and Messi. Won titles with almost every team he went to and leading Milan's title charge currently at the age of 39. Oh, and I love his persona.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Used to think Defoe had the ability to play at the very top, quality goal scorer but maybe he was obviously lacking something that stopped him getting a move.
The main thing that held Defoe back was his inability to play as a lone striker, which pretty much every top team played when he was at his peak. If he was ten years younger he’d have had a much better career in my opinion.

I always thought the same of Theo Walcott. He would have suited being the “little man” in an old school 4-4-2 but ended up being used mostly as a right winger because his lack of hold up play made him unsuitable to play as a centre forward.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
Ozil. When he was at Real, he was the best playmaker in the world, but after that he was never that good. Especially in big games, when it mattered.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Ozil. When he was at Real, he was the best playmaker in the world, but after that he was never that good. Especially in big games, when it mattered.
The biggest mistake Ozil made was joining Arsenal at his peak.

He wasted the prime years of his career playing with bums.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
If being a central part of a World cup victory, two Champions League trophies, two Champions league finals, Euros runner-up and a whole bunch of league titles are down to just a few flashy performances as a passenger, Pirlo is more of a maestro than thought.

The only people who seem to overrate Pirlo are those who "discovered" him when he played against England in 2011. A little bit like how Ibrahimovic was perceived until that legendary performance.
Studies have shown that 99% of the people who think that Pirlo was overrated are English fans who discovered him in 2012 when he was already past his prime, and never saw him play from 2003-2008.

DanClancy

Stats don't really tell the full story of a players impact and overall game. I don't really remember him ever tearing Utd apart or being decisive in any games, aside from that 1 missed penalty.

He had 87 goals and 94 assists in 307 games according to the PL website. Which, for a player who was not an out and out striker is an excellent return. He's fifth on the list of all time PL assists.

In context for similar players to Bergkamp.

Cantona scored 70 and assisted 56 in 150 games.

Le Tissier scored 100 and assisted 64 in 270 games.

Di Canio scored 66 and assisted 49 in 190 games.

Fully agree stats aren't everything, I get annoyed when I see people comparing Bergkamp to Eric.

Bergkamp had a longer career and thats all he's got over Eric.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
The biggest mistake Ozil made was joining Arsenal at his peak.

He wasted the prime years of his career playing with bums.
I don’t think he’s that fussed to be honest. Seems like the kind of guy who’s happy with the trophies he’s won and having a relatively easy ride at Arsenal on massive money for 7 and a half years(!)

If Özil had the drive of a Cristiano he’d probably be one of the greatest footballers of all time.

Fully agree stats aren't everything, I get annoyed when I see people comparing Bergkamp to Eric.

Bergkamp had a longer career and thats all he's got over Eric.
Bergkamp was much more successful in continental and international football to be fair. I don’t think many people out of the UK and Ireland bubble would consider Cantona a better player than Bergkamp.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
One thing many of you have to realize is that in order to be considered "overrated" people have to rate that player to begin with.

With that in mind, the most overrated player I have ever seen in my life is without a shadow of a doubt Sergio Ramos. Actually, allow me to change that. The most overrated defender is Serio Ramos. He's actually a very good footballer and a good leader. He has scored some big goals for Real Madrid over the years and has a trophy cabinet almost any footballer will be envious of. But as a defender he makes mistakes that would make Phil Jones blush.

We are talking about a guy who has 26 career red cards. To put that into perspective, Vidic was a very aggressive defender and he ended his career with 8 red cards.

He was rumoured to be coming to United a couple years ago and the rumours are starting up again now. I was so happy when he resigned with Real Madrid. I didn't want him then and certainly don't want him now...

KeanoMagicHat

Raheem Sterling is pretty overrated, you will often see he's scored x many goals more than some player and then people will be saying he's best in the league or whatever. But a lot of it is scoring against weaker teams. City also generally go far in all cups and he plays a lot of matches. And so many of his goals are tap-ins, his finishing is still quite average after all these years. From general play he's just alright.

Obviously still a very good player but never best winger in the league standard and shouldn't have won the Football Writers award ahead of Van Dijk that season. When he doesn't play for City, I can't help but feel they play as well as they do with him. The only player that really stands out in that team is De Bruyne, the rest are mosly system players that can be replaced. Sterling is replaceable I think.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
There is a Danish version of it which essentially translates to 'he's on a field trip' but to my understanding, this is usually reserved for keepers who come way out of their box and then end up in no mans land.
That's probably our favourite figurative phrase to use about stranded players. If we love one thing in Britain it's banging on about wars.

Hester_manc

Jordan Henderson - Of course he is good, otherwise he would not play in the PL. But I don`t think he is one of the best in his position.

Marc Albrithton - To me he belongs in the Championsship. He has made the most of his talent playing regular for Leicester

Karim Benzema -

Kaka

Anelka

Theo Walcott

Maybe even David De Gea

DanClancy

I don’t think he’s that fussed to be honest. Seems like the kind of guy who’s happy with the trophies he’s won and having a relatively easy ride at Arsenal on massive money for 7 and a half years(!)

If Özil had the drive of a Cristiano he’d probably be one of the greatest footballers of all time.

Bergkamp was much more successful in continental and international football to be fair. I don’t think many people out of the UK and Ireland bubble would consider Cantona a better player than Bergkamp.
Bergkamp did nothing in the CL with Arsenal and had plenty of opportunities too unlike Cantona, unfortunately Eric never played for France past 28 after what happened at Selhurst Park when he was the French captain.

tjb

Well United weren't great in Europe in the early 90s due to nationality restrictions in the competition which directly affected Eric. Club career is a players day job imo and where they can showcase consistency. If Eric is viewed as superior in the league where both players are most fondly remembered, then all that does is confirm how overrated bergkamp is.

Giggs86

Studies have shown that 99% of the people who think that Pirlo was overrated are English fans who discovered him in 2012 when he was already past his prime, and never saw him play from 2003-2008.
Yep, bizarre. Those who think he's overrated should rewatch Italy's semi-final vs Germany and final vs France from 2006.

Two games, two goat-ish performances from Pirlo. My favorite non-United moment was Pirlo in the dying moments of extra time vs Germany and that no look pass to Grosso which sealed Italy's place in the final.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The main thing that held Defoe back was his inability to play as a lone striker, which pretty much every top team played when he was at his peak. If he was ten years younger he’d have had a much better career in my opinion.

I always thought the same of Theo Walcott. He would have suited being the “little man” in an old school 4-4-2 but ended up being used mostly as a right winger because his lack of hold up play made him unsuitable to play as a centre forward.
Yeah spot on.

Glorio

Jay-jay Okocha. I mean I don't know anyone that dislikes him and he was a very skillful player but grossly overrated.
Weirdly I thought he was underrated. I suppose different strokes

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Probably Welbeck. I spent 3 or 4 years convinced he was finally going to come good - he just needed to learn to stop falling over.

Shark

@NotShark
Raheem Sterling is pretty overrated, you will often see he's scored x many goals more than some player and then people will be saying he's best in the league or whatever. But a lot of it is scoring against weaker teams. City also generally go far in all cups and he plays a lot of matches. And so many of his goals are tap-ins, his finishing is still quite average after all these years. From general play he's just alright.

Obviously still a very good player but never best winger in the league standard and shouldn't have won the Football Writers award ahead of Van Dijk that season. When he doesn't play for City, I can't help but feel they play as well as they do with him. The only player that really stands out in that team is De Bruyne, the rest are mosly system players that can be replaced. Sterling is replaceable I think.
Agree completely on Sterling. Don't think I've ever watched a performance from him and thought he's a top tier player. He's a good player playing in a great system.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Totti and Gerrard in general.

Personally I greatly overrate Steven Berghuis.

Devil81

Wow!

Either some really young supporters not having a clue or some pretty bad judges of top top footballers, Henry and Bergkamp were both truly world class.

Have people erased how good Arsenal were during that period or were they that young that couldn't appreciated players abilities.

There was a period where Henry was easily top three player in the world and who was his supplier and partner in chief. Dennis Bergkamp, okay he didn't weigh in with as many goals but that wasnt what his game was all about, he was a genius and he opened defences by holding the ball up and having incredible skill for a man of his size.

Others questioning Scholes as well, when fellow pros are saying he's the best, trust me he was the best. Jamie O hara said on talksport the other day Scholes was the best Premier league player he ever played against, they all say it so why do people think United fans overate him.

Honestly the likes of Welbeck, Cleverley and Joe Hart have been overated but people naming superstars need to go back and watch some games.

The two Arsenal lads would walk into any eleven in world football right now.

Canagel

Not controversial at all. He was a journeyman in the 2000's and carried a reputation for bottling big games.
And His Goal to game ratio was actually average for someone who demanded he should be the main man. If he had accepted he wasn't a main man maybe he would have won the Champions League and had a better legacy.

And his spell at this club is very overrated . Infact he was lucky we won the EL wihout him and people forgot about all the sitters he wasted otherwise everyone would have called him a flop.

Comfortably a tier below the likes of Benzema, Suarez, Lewandowski etc in the 2010 and players like Eto'o in the 2000's

Oranges038

Yeah, you're probably right needed, he needed someone to be his Niall Quinn.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Sterling and Salah for me.

Salah is very selfish and would look average if he wasnt surrounded by quality players. Produces moments of brilliance but nobody ever seems to comment on all the chances he wastes, I would consider him the weak link in the Liverpool attack and I genuinely dont think they would miss him that much if he left (although may need a replacement).

Sterling is good, but not to the extent that people hype him up. Bit of a pace merchant, poor decision making. Think a lot of his reputation simply comes from being English and at Man City.

Fingeredmouse

No one is saying he was bad at all but Scholes has never been deemed surplus to requirements his whole career while Pirlo has been a few times if I'm not mistaken.
Scholes was on a shaky peg in the early 00s when Veron came in for a little while.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Hazard is a weird one. Overrated? Hmmm. He'd have walked into any side in the league at the time - Fact - he was the best player in the league during his stint. I mean ex pros, pundits, journos, opposition players and managers; cant all be wrong can they? And they all agreed he was the best player in our league

Madrid was a huge move and i get why he went there, he just hasnt lived up to the billing

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Dennis Bergkamp. Good player, but his record ain't all that. Arsenal fans think he was some kind of god.
Bergkamp was an incredible footballer. He was sublime. Not even close to being overrated, tbf.

May not have scored or assisted an enormous amount, but by feck he was absolute class