Your most overrated footballer

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I don't think people understand this thread yet :lol:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
When I first started watching I thought Drogba would become a legend, but he really only had that one great season.

iHicksy

Open threads

Sees names like De Gea, Beckham, Bergkamp.

Leaves thread.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Eden Hazard flat track bully
Had you mentioned Hazard like Ramos in post #20 then perhaps I wouldn't have responded. This is because his was a relevant response in the context of the OP. In any case sir, that's an interesting take on Hazard.

I'll begin by saying where I agree. He could've done more against A. Madrid in 13/14, Argentina in 2014, and especially PSG in 14/15. Take the game against Argentina in the 2014 World Cup. Neither Messi nor Hazard managed to register a goal or assist, and yet Messi was a catalyst in the build up which led to the goal scored by Higuain, he was constantly threatening Belgium with his direct dribbling, created one of the best chances in the game with a delightful pass to Di Maria,you could tell how badly Messi wanted it when he aggressively won the ball back from Belgium defenders when they made attempts to play out from the back, and although he scuffed the biggest chance of the game, a 1v1 at that, he was very much threatening. In contrast, Hazard was passive, and the tournament was a real learning curve for both himself and Belgium. Concerning PSG he was an top form that season, so he really should've done better.

Conversely, Hazard was the best player on the pitch in the 2013 Super Cup against a phenomenal Bayern Munich. On separate occasions beating the likes of Javi Martinez, Lahm, Boateng, and Alaba. One thing detractors of Hazard tend to look at is his goal or assists. This is a pertinent example of the goal from Torres which won't go on record as an assist from Hazard, but all the same, Hazard was fundamental to this goal happening. See here . As stated, his game as a whole was quality in itself, but his own goal only added to the individual brilliance on show.

In the 2016 Euros, Hazard's individual performance against Hungary in the knockout stages (and therefore a game of huge importance) was one of the best individual performances of the entire tournament.The very best IMO being Pepe vs France. Back to Hazard, I could be wrong, but I believe he finished the tournament with 1 goal and 4 assists in 5 appearances.Moreover, in the 2018 World Cup he had a quality performances against Brazil and France and arguably the best individual of the tournament.

Looking at the penultimate season of Hazard's career as Chelsea, he was absolutely phenomenal in the Champions League against A.Madrid. This is a very high level performance.

Now that I've touched very briefly on the World Cup, Euros, and Champions League, lets have a very quick look at his quality against English sides.

The records will show it was a penalty goal which separated Man Utd and Chelsea in the Fa Cup final in 17/18, and yet, the defining moment was the excellent first touch which led to Jones being in a position where he felt he had no choice but to take one for the team.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Did he? Or did the teams?

There are many players that are made to look better by there team stats. This isn't whether Pirlo is good, it's that he is vastly overrated, probably because of those team stats if anything.

That Italy team was incredible with Pirlo not because of him. He's talked about as if he's good enough to have won that WC himself, like you have indirectly implied.

He doesn't come close to my top midfield players and I'd sooner have his teammate Gattusso, that's my point.

Cannavaro got in the team of the tournament but he'a never mentioned with Pirlo.
Pirlo is the only player in history who was voted MOTM in both the World Cup semifinal and then final. No one else has that honour, not even Pele or Maradona. He was also voted third best player of the 2006 tournament, behind Zidane and Cannavaro. He assisted the winner against Germany and the crucial equalizer against France.

Pirlo is the only midfielder of the last 15 years who I consider to be (perhaps) on the same level as Xavi and Iniesta.

But each to their own, I guess.

fps

He almost won the Ballon d'Or and was only beaten by Zidane, that doesn't happen to overrated players.

He was easily one of the greatest players of his generation. His fantasy football stats were insane, I don't think anyone didn't have him in their team back in the day.
I think when he went to Madrid he wasn’t played in the position which really was where he was special, wide right, and he lost a step quite early. His “I never had any pace” line he started bringing out May have been partly true, but at United he had a dynamism he really didn’t recreate for Real. His peak was certainly at United, and whenever he returned against English opposition he was pedestrian and didn’t really influence things, which also made a difference to his perception.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Getting back to what the thread was originally about and thinking about some current players.

I had high hopes for Lokomotiv Moscow attacking midfielder Aleksey Miranchuk after his early performances and since he scored this Laudrup styled goal in the 2014/15 Russian Cup final

He has an elegant, creative style of play with sharp eye for a pass that is very easy to like and seemed to have more than enough attributes to hope he could develop quickly into someone quite dominant in the league, become a good national team regular and then hopefully move.

Five years later and nearly 25 and he's still at Loko, something i'm not too surprised at unfortunately, but as a player he just hasn't developed like i thought he would. Good enough that for the last 3 seasons or so, he's among the better players of the league, though in an uninspiring way. Never really stepped up to consistently do well in the bigger games and just seems stuck at a level of playing well enough to be comfortable without managing to become consistent or authoritative enough where you think he's getting the most out of his abilities and looks mentally strong enough to succeed with a step up. Not been able to become a regular starter for the nt either and was awful when given a great chance at the World Cup to make a name for himself against Uruguay.

He's now being recently linked via dubious sources to a few big teams like Juventus and Barca and there's a good chance loko in their current sutuation will sell to someone. however i have plenty of doubt he will succeed at even a much more realistic top-league team by now.

montpelier

OK, I say this every time. Hazard can't be bothered some of the time and he likes a dive. But I think we don't like him because because he plays for Chelsea as well.

He is a wonderful talent when he's motivated and on his game.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Marcelo Salas, mostly because I never actually saw him play. Teletext was dropping daily headlines that United were signing him imminently (in the days before the transfer window), so 8 year old me was convinced this bloke would score weekly hat tricks.

For a completely different reason, Fellaini around the time we signed him. I remember making a post on this forum saying he could be "our Busquets", with his ability to destroy play, particularly since our SAF-spiritual-successor Moyes knew how to get the best out of him. Then I stopped seeing the Everton highlights and started seeing the more frequent disasters. Never did get round to eating humble pie on that one - RedCafe, you were right.

EDIT: One more, Arda Turan. A taxi driver once convinced me when he was still in Turkey that he could turn the tide for any team. This was Salas all over again.
Similar on Salas. He burned brightly but somewhat briefly, yet his reputation carried over for a few years. A lot of it was down to that goal against England which might have been the first time many folk would have seen him. That plus his rock star looks and South American panache.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Players I personally overrate would be Ferrie Bodde and Michu.
Bodde was electric in the lower leagues and a good technician. Injuries wrecked his career but I’d say he’d be a decent prem midfielder, most would disagree.
Michu is a player I really liked. He was an interesting mix of Spanish and English in the way he played, he could link up well and pass the ball around, but also was pretty direct and physical and great in the air. He had a great season in La Liga, then one in the PL, and sadly injuries and lack of form had him playing in the Spanish 4th division within a season or two. Retired early due to injuries. Haaland recently got a signed shirt from him after revealing he was a big fan of his growing up.

This team would do well under a good manager. Overrated doesn't mean shit.
Yeah I actually think that team would do quite well. For a group which has been thrown together solely on the theme of ‘overrated’ it’s a pretty cohesive and balanced group.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
One player I was rampantly optimistic about was Yacine Brahimi. He came on as a substitute for Algeria against Germany in the 2014 World Cup, and he was going past Lahm, Khedira and Schweinsteiger as if they were training cones due to his low centre of gravity. He joined Porto after the World Cup, which made me really excited to see more of him. I suspect it was a deal in place before the World Cup as he showed instances of press resistance to Barcelona. In any case, as a Porto player, I remember him having moments of individual brilliance against A.Madrid and Chelsea, which led me to overlook the shortcomings of the rest of his performance. He was playing for an underdog and perhaps that resulted in me cutting him slack as I knew it was a long shot for Porto to either top their group, or to knock out a contender in the knock out rounds.

His dribbling seemed to be instinctive as you often saw him change his mind by turning his body around to dribble to the opposite side, and he would do it so gracefully that it seemed like he had all the time in the world, despite being surrounded by several opposing players. Another thing I liked about his dribbling was that he would dribble from any area on the pitch, as opposed restricting himself to dribbling by the touchline. The rest of his game left a lot to be desired though.

I thought he would end up at Bayern Munich one day, as the successor to Ribery's throne. Since his dribbling reminded me of Hazard, I mistakenly conflated Hazard's playmaking ability with Brahimi potentially having that in his locker, and all he needed was Bayern to bring that out of him. Whilst Hazard had the awareness that his presence drew packs towards him, which created space for his teammates and he would release the ball so they themselves could be in a position to make an assist. In contrast, Brahimi remained too much of an individualist until the very end, overly confident in his dribbling until the very end. He needed to trust his teammates more. His performance against Bayern Munich was frustrating in that sense.

Granted the progression of a footballer is by no means linear, and yet, at the tender age of 28, Brahimi should have been in his prime years. It was as a 28 y/o that Belmadi the manager responsible for having a galvanising influence on the Algerian national team. One of his best decisions was to not include Brahimi in the starting berth, and he even took it a step further as he was predominantly excluded from the bench. Belaïli's individual ability pales in comparison to Brahimi, but he works for the team, he sacrifices and there's a humility about him.

Currently he's 30 y/o. The player I thought would perhaps help Bayern Munich in their pursuit of the Champions League is now playing his trade in Qatar.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Can't say i massively overrated him for his ability, but I believe I overrated Lamela's talent a lot. I thought he could improve his speed and physique to United-Ronaldo levels and go past players with ease at his peak. Obviously blinded a bit by football manager, but I didn't speak up to anyone but my closest friend about my belief of where I thought he'd end up.

There are probably a ton of players who actually fit the topic but I cannot remember them.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Open threads

Sees names like De Gea, Beckham, Bergkamp.

Leaves thread.
Overrated doesn’t mean shit.

For instance. I think Zidane is overrated. He was a fabulous player, but is frequently labeled as a top 5 player of all time, status he simply doesn’t deserve. That doesn’t make him shit.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
As a Barcelona fan, I think both Arthur and Ousmane Dembele are severely overrated by people who don’t watch us regularly.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Riquelme. I really can't see the hype of why he's one of the legend of the game.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Overrated doesn’t mean shit.

For instance. I think Zidane is overrated. He was a fabulous player, but is frequently labeled as a top 5 player of all time, status he simply doesn’t deserve. That doesn’t make him shit.
Truth.

My answer is Neymar. Talented? Yes. But he'd be a lot more successful if he wasn't such a mollycoddled little bitch.

That the Brazilians built their team around him showed how far Brazilian football had fallen.

Rossa

Anderson - I thought for ages that he would come good, but he just didn't have it in him to take it to the next level.

Nani as well. He had a couple of great seasons, but I think a great player is defined by being more than a couple of seasons worth. Iwas silly for expecting him to hit Ronaldo-like levels.

Comet49

Gerrard, great for Liverpool but don’t think he had many great games for England.

Redcy

Yeah this thread was meant to be players you personally rated highly, but in hindsight possibly weren’t all that.

the one that comes to mind is kanchelskis. Adored him when he was with us. Thought he was the dogsbollocks. Whilst he was good and I still appreciate the way he plays I doubt anyone else would consider him anything more than a decent quality winger

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Yeah this thread was meant to be players you personally rated highly, but in hindsight possibly weren’t all that.

the one that comes to mind is kanchelskis. Adored him when he was with us. Thought he was the dogsbollocks. Whilst he was good and I still appreciate the way he plays I doubt anyone else would consider him anything more than a decent quality winger
In terms of performances most Everton fans rate him as arguably our best player in the Premier league era so i don't think it is a case of just United fans overrating him. Looking at his peak , his last season at United and then his first season at Everton and it is very impressive. He scored 29 league goals in 60 appearances over them two seasons. That is a fantastic output for a winger in a 442 for that era.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Kanchelskis is a player i think i've seen more often underestimated nowadays. He was not the most versatile wide player, but by the mid-90s became a lot more sophisticated, intelligent and offensively dangerous than the simple kick and rush style he sometimes gets put under imo. His style at his peak would fit in really well with current tactical trends and have been ideal for piling up the goals in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. A lot maybe don't know how quickly ankle and knee injuries and coming back too quickly from them while trying to get established at Fiorentina caused a quick decline. He eventually ruined his knee in the world cup '98 playoff first leg between Italy and Russia, a game played in disgraceful conditions that should have been rescheduled.

In terms of performances most Everton fans rate him as arguably our best player in the Premier league era so i don't think it is a case of just United fans overrating him. Looking at his peak , his last season at United and then his first season at Everton and it is very impressive. He scored 29 league goals in 60 appearances over them two seasons. That is a fantastic output for a winger in a 442 for that era.
Kanchelskis was fantastic. Left a big hole when he left, and it took a couple of years for Becks to fill it, and he was a completely different player.

you didn’t have many wingers scoring the no of goals he did in the early/ mid 90’s. Underrated and forgotten rather than overrated I would say.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Can we rename this thread to "players who moved from top club to top club and no one knows why"? Then I could name Demichelis
I liked Demichellis. Thought he was underused in his best position as a DM, though it didn't help that he himself was against it and publically complained when he was played there.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Drogba is an interesting one, his stats really are not that great but he is often brought up when talking about great strikers of the PL era. His 09-10 season was phenomenal, don't get me wrong, but overall I dont feel they stack up to the likes of the Henry's, Aguero's, Kane's of the world. I guess the Chelsea fans would argue Rooney is in the same boat, with Rooney having two standout seasons 09-10, and 11-12, the only two times he hit twenty goals or more.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Riquelme. I really can't see the hype of why he's one of the legend of the game.
Riquelme had three seasons for Villarreal from 2003-2006 where he played at a phenomenal level. He nearly carried Villarreal to a Champions League final in 2006. He was the best midfielder in La Liga during those three seasons, better than Zidane, Beckham and Xavi.

But yes, overall Riquelme is not a legend of the game. He did not have the longevity or consistency for that.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Drogba is an interesting one, his stats really are not that great but he is often brought up when talking about great strikers of the PL era. His 09-10 season was phenomenal, don't get me wrong, but overall I dont feel they stack up to the likes of the Henry's, Aguero's, Kane's of the world. I guess the Chelsea fans would argue Rooney is in the same boat, with Rooney having two standout seasons 09-10, and 11-12, the only two times he hit twenty goals or more.
Problem is Rooney was not a striker or the very least an out and out one.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Also, this is straying from the thread a little but all those italian players people generally have a hard on for as complete legends like Gattusso -- great players but people overrate them a lot
Interesting how Italian players are considered overrated despite proven international success (final every 6 years from 1994-2012, the World Cup in 2006). Meanwhile Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes never did anything for England and yet they are legends?

Totti was world class at Euro 2000 and good at World Cup 2006. His international career is hands down better than any English player in the 21st century. His club career was unfortunately hampered by being loyal to Roma. Pirlo was world class at the 2006 World Cup and 2012 Euros. His international career is legendary. At club level he was a key player for 2 Champions League winning sides.

Why should Pirlo and Totti be rated any lower than Scholes, Gerrard, or Lampard?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Interesting how Italian players are considered overrated despite proven international success (final every 6 years from 1994-2012, the World Cup in 2006). Meanwhile Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes never did anything for England and yet they are legends?

Totti was world class at Euro 2000 and good at World Cup 2006. His international career is hands down better than any English player in the 21st century. His club career was unfortunately hampered by being loyal to Roma. Pirlo was world class at the 2006 World Cup and 2012 Euros. His international career is legendary. At club level he was a key player for 2 Champions League winning sides.

Why should Pirlo and Totti be rated any lower than Scholes, Gerrard, or Lampard?
Italy were a better team than England and thats exactly why the likes of pirlo and gattuso get overrated.

Im not saying they arent great players but pirlo for instance isnt in Scholes category

Pav1878

Italy were a better team than England and thats exactly why the likes of pirlo and gattuso get overrated.

Im not saying they arent great players but pirlo for instance isnt in Scholes category
:lol:

Scholes, Gerrard et Al were in excellent England teams and flopped

As much as I love Scholes, to say pirlo isn't in his league is laughable. Both fantastic and both world class

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I’m gunna say Buffon.

Shots fired!

I’m sure I’m gunna get battered for it. Just always thought he was a ‘solid’ keeper rather than elite level.

No CL trophy either :wenger:
Like Giggs, he had stayed on the top level for so long that a lot of people only knew his older version and assume that this is how he was at his best.

jackal&hyde

Phil Jones by far. He was a player with a mountain physique, he could head a ball, he could bully players of it, he could play football to the point he was played in midfield. I thought this might be one the best players ever for us and the comparisons to Duncan Edwards, that people like to make fun now, based on what i've read, were spot on. It was to good to be true, and it was. From the potential of a best in many generations to a, well, not so much.