Your most overrated footballer

Redcy

Faustino Asprilla - Used to love him at Parma on gazzetta, but that masked how inconsistent he was

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I think the criteria of the OP has been distorted the further on we've gone. The point of the post isn't who is the most overrated in your view, it's who is the player you have overrated the most.

i.e who is the player you thought most was great but actually didn't end up being a great player (I said Ginter and Richardson because I thought Ginter would be the next Hummels and Richardson a replacement for Giggs, later on mentioned Marin as well).

Redcy

Nah, I do not, but top 20 in the EPL, yes, quite easily.

But VanPersie being better than him is a WUM, c'mon.
He is probably not in the top 20 dutch player of all time.

Top 20 EPL players? Based on what? His scoring ability, dribbling, assists? Its not even a close run thing. I am almost sure he doesn't get in the top 20 strikers in the EPL. People overrate him like mad, he is good player and I appreciate his style, grace, toughness, etc, but yeah most likely not even in the top 20 strikers

tjb

87 goals in 315 PL appearances. Meh.

Like I said, good player but not a great, hence ‘overrated’.

As for the fear of flying thing, I think we have to treat that similarly to if he was really injury prone. What use is a player if he can’t even get on the pitch?
Bergkamp is massively overrated. Having a nice style of play doesn't make a player amongst the best. It's a theme that has always irked me. I know he is not a goalscorer and his assists are what matter more, but I still think Bergkamp's influence on a game, particularly in the later stages of his career have been overrated overtime. For starters, he wasn't a key feature of the Arsenal teams of 2001 to 2005, for large portions of those runs, he was benched for Wiltord or Reyes. Henry, Pires, Vieira and Campbell were the folcrum of that team, yet people like to act nowadays like Bergkamp was irreplacable, which wasn't true. His form in 98 was great, but like many aesthetically pleasing players, his influence was greatly overstated. Even in the run from 97 to 99, that arsenal team's attack was historically unproductive, with their defence being responsible for their league positions.

Redcy

In fairness I will get him into the top 20 EPL strikers, but there are plenty above him, often gets quoted in there because people loved his style, and he got 90 assists in 315 games, on top 10 lists you see him and then people like Cole, Owen, Fowler all ignored for a striker who netted 85 in 315

Bogdannn

Yeah, top 20 of all time Arsenal players.
Van Persie was a better player than Bergkamp.
No, top 20 of all time. And no, Van Persie sure as hell wasn't a better player.

You really think Dennis Bergkamp is one of the 20 greatest footballers of all time?
That’s insane.
No it isn't insane at all.

Here's my top 20 of all time (not in any order): Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Maradona, Pele, Zico, Baggio, Best, Van Basten, Romario, Cruyiff, Messi, CR7, Del Piero, Totti, Henry, Gascoigne, M. Laudrup, Adriano, Romario, Platini.
Bare in mind that this list is just about peak form.

SprintTriathlon

Ole.
He was very good at reading the game, and making the right choices when coming off the bench and everyone was tired, but honestly he was just a Greenwood light.
I think he will be a far better manager than player.

DanClancy

Bergkamp was a good player but he's so overrated by many, had a very poor record against United.

Paul_Scholes18

Probably Danny Welbeck. I thought we looked much better with him playing and that he deserved to play more. I didn't want to buy Van Persie since we had him and rather invest in midfield.
Although it was probably a case of looking good under SAF since after he left he has only been injured and not done anything.
Although his partnership with Rooney was good even under Moyes and I think it probably deserved to be given more time with Rooney and Persie on decline.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
In fairness I will get him into the top 20 EPL strikers, but there are plenty above him, often gets quoted in there because people loved his style, and he got 90 assists in 315 games, on top 10 lists you see him and then people like Cole, Owen, Fowler all ignored for a striker who netted 85 in 315
Yeah, Bergkamp was the original hipster footballer. Style over substance.

For a glimpse of just how overrated Bergkamp is, compare him to Wayne Rooney... Rooney was obviously a far superior player, but no would dream of putting him on an all time top 20 players list.

Number32

Nick Powel, James Wilson, and Will Keane. I rated them higher than Rashford.

Rio Ferdinand, I though he was the best defender in the world. He even wasn't the best in the team, Vidic was way better than him and carrying our defense like hell.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mascherano. After watching him in his breakthrough international tournament (must have been the 2006 WC), I thought be was the new Roy Keane or somehow. To be fair, it was based on a cup rather than watching a player consistently.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Who was better than him?

He's in his own class for me. Nobody comes close.
He definitely isn't in his own class with nobody close, but he is in that top class for sure. Don't forget that Ronaldo was a top 3 player in the world for 3 years at United, after the 3 years of developing. Whatever conversation for best ever Prem player there is, Ronaldo is part of it and arguably the favourite for it.

Renegade

For a glimpse of just how overrated Bergkamp is, compare him to Wayne Rooney... Rooney was obviously a far superior player, but no would dream of putting him on an all time top 20 players list.
Rooney absolutely would be in the top 20 EPL strikers list. With Bergkamp.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
He definitely isn't in his own class with nobody close, but he is in that top class for sure. Don't forget that Ronaldo was a top 3 player in the world for 3 years at United, after the 3 years of developing. Whatever conversation for best ever Prem player there is, Ronaldo is part of it and arguably the favourite for it.
He scored 174 in just 8 years in the PL, and about 100 of those could be in the conversation for the best goals in PL history. I might be exaggerating, but it felt like he scored a worldie every week. For comparison, Rooney, another in the conversation for best player scored less than 30 goals more in almost double the time. To be fair, Henry left the league before he could decline like Rooney did, but it highlights how crazy his record was.

I wouldn't put Ronaldo above him, simply because the PL only got to witness a snapshot of his prime, like you say, just 3 years. But I agree, his peak was definitely up there. That 07/08 season is up there with the Suarez and Bale seasons as the best season by an individual player. I would add Henry in 02/03 to that as well, where he scored 24 goals and incredibly also had 20 assists.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I love Okocha but I don't think he's as good as perceived

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Rooney absolutely would be in the top 20 EPL strikers list. With Bergkamp.
Not PL strikers - obviously Rooney’s in the top two or three. Some people are claiming, ridiculously, that Bergkamp is in the top 20 greatest footballers of all time.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Gerrard. How people have him in all time PL teams is scandalous considering the guy never even won 1. Plus he has things like the slip and the red card in 30 secs in his last game on his record. Very good player but hyped up to a ridiculous level. Not as good as Xavi alonso while they were in the same team.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Ole.
He was very good at reading the game, and making the right choices when coming off the bench and everyone was tired, but honestly he was just a Greenwood light.
I think he will be a far better manager than player.
Ole was good enough to play right midfield and replace peak David Beckham. I'd say he falls on the underrated side of things.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I swear every time there is an important match he is injured (well typically apart from their last game against us).
Yeah everytime he is on the pitch aswell he is supposed to be this dominant player we are supposed to be scared of but he has never done anything for PSG or Italy in my opinion.

Pulls of some basic passes at max and is living off some hype he had as a youngest version of himself.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Different type of player though. Bergkamp’s touch and hold up play were more polished and consistent. His threaded passing through defences was more incisive. In contrast, young Rooney was a more explosive ball carrier and more powerful finisher.

Bergkamp’s Arsenal stint might be a tad overstated, but in my view peak Bergkamp was the Ajax version that came 2nd and 3rd in the Ballon D’Or in the early 1990s. I’m not sold that Rooney ever surpassed or fully matched those heights.

Adam McNeill

My top ten below (most overrated 1st!), with honourable mentions to Javier Hernandez & Sean Wright Phillips, lol!

1. Falcao
2. Pirlo
3. Pogba
4. Neymar
5. Veron
6. Mcmanaman
7. Griezmann
8. Anelka
9. Sterling
10. Martial

RUCK4444

My top ten below (most overrated 1st!), with honourable mentions to Javier Hernandez & Sean Wright Phillips, lol!

1. Falcao
2. Pirlo
3. Pogba
4. Neymar
5. Veron
6. Mcmanaman
7. Griezmann
8. Anelka
9. Sterling
10. Martial
Cant be having Neymar and Veron in there man... wow.

Plus Pogba is underrated, he literally gets zero praise here until the last game, nobody is guilty of overrating him :lol: