Fernandes
Grealish
Salah
Kane
Son

Coach of the year: Bielsa or Moyes
POTY: Kane
YPOTY: Foden

Shout-outs: Mount, Martinez, Rashford, Thiago Silva, Mahrez, Maguire, Rice, Soucek, Rapfinha, etc...
What has Bielsa done to deserve that nomination? Me thinks you may be starstruck.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Martinez
Cancelo Dias Stones Shaw
Mount Soucek Gundogan
Mahrez Bruno
Kane

Leaving out Son because he's a bitch.
Agree with your team except for two players. I would put Ederson in goal and include Grealish ahead of Soucek.

SAFMUTD

Agree with your team except for two players. I would put Ederson in goal and include Grealish ahead of Soucek.
Grealish has missed 1/3 of the season injured, can't be in team of the year IMO. Also we have to include a defensive midfielder at least to be fair. :)

Ludens the Red

Grealish has missed 1/3 of the season injured, can't be in team of the year IMO. Also we have to include a defensive midfielder at least to be fair. :)
As the designated team of the year police, I feel I should point out Mahrez has played only two more games than Grealish in the league..

SAFMUTD

As the designated team of the year police, I feel I should point out Mahrez has played only two more games than Grealish in the league..
Didnt knew that, guess it'll be Son in his place but since Son is a bitch I had to exclude him.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
I see your point about Grealish but he was so outstanding for a long period that I thought he deserved to be included..I'm going for total all out attack. I want excitement and if the defence suffers so be it. Yes, I know...I'd be a crap manager..haha!!

Mr Smith

Meslier
Cancelo - Dias - Stones - Shaw
Bruno - Gundogan - KDB
Salah - Kane - Son
Crazy that I can’t find a way to put Leicester and West Ham United players. Could put Rice or Ndidi as DM but leaving out Gundogan even though he is CM is harsh.
Get rid of Son for Ndidi/Rice/Rodri and make it a 4-4-2 diamond. Problem solved.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Martinez
Cancelo Dias Stone Shaw
Ndidi Gundogan
Salah Bruno Son
Kane​

Womp

idiot
Martinez
Cancelo----Diaz-----Fofana----Shaw
Bruno--------Gundogan
Foden---------Grealish
Kane--------Son

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
How do you not have Salah and Bruno in the team?

And Walker over Cancelo?
Walker's far more consistent than Cancelo.
Hipster journos have picked up on him after a recent run of good performances but Pep starts Walker ar RB in most big games for a reason.
There is a case for including Cancelo at LB in the TOTY but again Shaw is more consistent.
Neither Salah or Bruno get in my team as I consider them too selfish to select but certainly I'd have them as impact subs.

Perseus

Ederson

Cancelo --- Dias --- Stones --- Shaw

De Bruyne --- Bruno Fernandes --- Gündogan

Salah --- Kane --- Vardy​

Subs: Schmeichel, Dunk, Evans, Grealish, Maddison, Son, Rashford

Last edited:

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Ederson

Cancelo --- Dias --- Stones --- Shaw

De Bruyne --- Bruno Fernandes --- Gündogan

Kane --- Vardy --- Rashford​

Subs: Schmeichel, Dunk, Evans, Grealish, Maddison, Son, Salah.
Vardy shouldn't be anywhere near the team. As much as it pains me to say it, he's been quite poor this season.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Walker over Cancelo is hilarious. Walker is not consistent and his positioning defensively is weak as evident by the Dortmund goal.

10/20 of Walkers starts in the league were at the start of the season when City were poor and sitting 14th, which says a lot. If City had a top LB, Walker wouldnt start as much.

The reason Guardiola picks Walker is solely due to his pace. Cancelo is superior and had a much better season. Walker offers nothing in attack whilst Cancelo creates numerous chances.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Martinez

Cancelo Maguire Diaz Shaw

Bruno Pogba KDB

Rashford Kane Grealish​

I'm ready to accept my award for the best team of the year whenever. Now is fine.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Martinez
Fofana Silva Dias
Cancelo Rice KdB Shaw
Bruno Mount
Kane

Walters_19_MuFc

According to whoscored:

Martinez
Wan-Bissaka Fofana Maguire Cancelo
Mahrez De Bruyne Fernandes Grealish
Kane Watkins

I'd probably go:

Martinez
Wan Bissaka Diaz Maguire Shaw
Gundogan Rice Fernandes
Mount Grealish
Kane​

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Kane
Grealish - Bruno - De Bruyne
Ndidi - Gündogan
Shaw - Dias - Stones - Cancelo
Martinez​

Martinez (Emerson?) — I don’t think that there’s been a clear standout this year.

Shaw — an obvious inclusion, he has been nothing short of brilliant... arguably United’s POTY as well.

Dias — by far the best center back in the league this season & absolutely instrumental not only because of his individual performances, but also in terms of defensive organization & leadership. Deserves extra credit for elevating Stones’ performances that led to benching Laporte.

Stones — this place is up for grabs, Chelsea/United/Leicester’s defenders had great spells of form, but since there’s no obvious candidate, I’m going with a proven partnership.

Cancelo — he looked a bit shaky lately but earlier in the season he was really outstanding. James also had a good season.

Gündogan — at one point he looked like a POTY contender. He slowed down a bit, but still remains an obvious inclusion.

Ndidi — a very good if not an outstanding season by him. Maybe Rice as an alternative?

De Bruyne — he missed a lot, but he’s still the best player in the league and, when fit, he performed accordingly

Bruno — like many on the list, he has slowed down a bit lately, but he still is incredibly productive. How lucky are we to have him!

Grealish — at one point of the season the best player in the whole league, brilliant.

Kane — insanely consistent & his partnership with Son has been one of the highlights of the season. I don’t get how Jose managed to sink Spurs to mid table with those two on board.

Honorable mentions: Foden, Lingard, Cresswell, Bamford

You have no idea how wasteful Salah has been this year in front of goal. Yes he's scored 20+ again but his overall performances haven't been that good imo. I wouldn't have any of our players in a team of the season. That being said I'm not sure you can put someone better in his position so maybe he should be in.

Some obvious ones like Shaw, Fernandes, Kane, Dias. GK is an interesting one. I like the Martinez shout.
Agree. I’m not the one to argue for Liverpool players anyway, but Salah’s multiple inclusions surprise me. His numbers are very impressive, and that kinda represents just how good he really is, but he has been so poor in terms of the actual performances that I don’t think he deserves a spot this year.

From what I’ve seen, I’d say that Fabinho had been your best performer this season, I’d be interested to hear what a Liverpool fan says about that though.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
According to whoscored:

Martinez
Wan-Bissaka Fofana Maguire Cancelo
Mahrez De Bruyne Fernandes Grealish
Kane Watkins

I'd probably go:

Martinez
Wan Bissaka Diaz Maguire Shaw
Gundogan Rice Fernandes
Mount Kane Grealish
Wan-Bissaka has had a very good season - he would have been my second choice after Cancelo.

Perseus

Vardy shouldn't be anywhere near the team. As much as it pains me to say it, he's been quite poor this season.
All the times I've seen Vardy he looks his usual self, unlike Mané.

Last edited:

matsdf

Dias, Shaw, Gundogan, Bruno, and Kane (maybe Salah as well) needs to be there. For the remaining positions sprinkle in a couple of City players or perhaps other deserving names.

Mike Smalling

I like Grealish as much as the next guy, but can he really get in with just 22 games played?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I like Grealish as much as the next guy, but can he really get in with just 22 games played?
He has started 22 league games playing 1977 mins. In this thread we have seen players like
Foden - 15 starts - 1448 mins
Stones - 20 starts - 1754 mins
Mahrez - 21 starts - 1800 mins
Gundogan - 21 starts - 1866 mins
KdB - 22 starts - 1911 mins
Rudiger - 16 starts - 1440 mins
Ndindi - 21 starts - 1846 mins
Fofana - 23 starts - 1974 mins.

Think he deserves to be in the team more than any of the above mentioned players.

Guiseppe Rossi

Martinez

Wan-bissaka - Diaz - Maguire - Shaw

Rice - Gundogan - Tielemans

—------— Bruno - - - - - - Grealish

- - - - - - - - - - Kane

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
He has started 22 league games playing 1977 mins. In this thread we have seen players like

Think he deserves to be in the team more than any of the above mentioned players.
Depends on positions, you're largely comparing apples to oranges here.

Chicken United 7

Pope
Cancelo Evans Dias Shaw
Soucek Gundogan
Salah Bruno Son
Kane

Pope - You want your goalkeeper to simply stop goals, and this season, he’s conceded 35 from 44 expected goals, the best in the league. Martinez and Ederson have been brilliant too, but their stats are not better than Pope’s.

Cancelo - Just by far the best and most consistent RB in the league, albeit he has played loads of games at LB too. I’d argue his tactical flexibility at being able to play in a DM role too, which Pep utilised, was the trick which made City unpredictable again and unfortunately won them the league. Azpilicueta and Ayling are very unlucky to not get in.

Evans - The rave reviews have gone to Fofana in that Leicester team, but Evans has been an almost ever-present and is the experienced one in the Leicester team. They wouldn’t be 3rd and Fofana also wouldn’t be so good without him. Aside from Fofana, Maguire is also unlucky to miss out, but his poor start to the season means he has to be omitted.

Dias - By far the best defender in the league this season, and probably the world. He transformed the porous City defence into one that generally hardly concedes a chance.

Shaw - Since the own goal in the Newcastle game at the start of the season, I genuinely cannot think of an LB who has played better than him this season. Mendy, Hernandez, Robertson and Davies are good, but I really don’t think they’ve outperformed Luke this season. He has been absolutely flawless, a player who even if we lost, you’d give a 6 or 7/10.

Soucek - Kante, Ndidi, Rice, Phillips and even our own McTominay would be annoyed at missing out, but when a generally unknown player like Soucek comes from the Czech league (no offense, but a much weaker league than the PL) and adapts seamlessly, plays every minute, scores a remarkable 9 goals from defensive midfield while still being defensively solid, you can’t leave him out. He’s a budget DM that we should be looking at this summer.

Gundogan - Best performing midfielder in a title winning team, has bounds of energy and has managed a very good 12 goals. The perfect box to box midfielder. No honourable mentions here - I don’t think a single box to box midfielder has even come close to his level this season.

Salah - Let’s get this straight - Roy Keane was right. Pool have been awful champions this season. They are more than 30 points off their tally last season. However, Salah has somehow maintained his level, and possibly even got better. Another 20 goal season, highest scoring winger in the league by far. World class player. Thankfully the rest of the Pool team regressed massively.

Bruno - 27 goal contributions this season, the second highest in the league. Straight away, no one can leave him out already. His contribution is even more than that though. He came from a weaker league like Soucek, and instantly became a team leader. There’s also no shame in admitting that for much of 2020, we were a one man team. Mount doesn’t have enough goal contributions while Foden has been rotated too much, but they would have had to do much more to even come close to Bruno’s level this season.

Son - Simply going by the stats and his lack of viable competition. Rashford has been decent but still a bit off Son’s level. Grealish and Barnes are brilliant, but both players got injured at very unopportune moments in time. Meanwhile, Son has constantly been fit and is the highest scoring and assisting LW with 13 and 10 respectively. Tailed off a bit in 2021 but his 2020 form gets him in. He was genuinely Neymar level for a few months.

Kane - This one is a no-brainer. Let’s just use the stats, which show that he has by far the most goal contributions of any player in the league with 34. Son looks half the player and Spurs a quarter of the team without him. I’d give mentions to other strikers but even Ancelotti, Bielsa and Smith would say that DCL, Bamford and Watkins have been nowhere near Kane’s class this season.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
All the times I've seen Vardy he looks his usual self, unlike Mané.

Two goals since Christmas. You just can't be in TotS with that form, that's absolutely embarrassing.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City

No idea how Grealish deserves to be in the team more than Ilkay Gundogan, who scored 11 goals in 12 games to drag City pretty much single-handedly from Europa League to clear favourites.

Brightonian

No idea how Grealish deserves to be in the team more than Ilkay Gundogan, who scored 11 goals in 12 games to drag City pretty much single-handedly from Europa League to clear favourites.
Because Gundogan did that with City, by far the best and most expensive team in this league. Grealish dragged a deeply mediocre Aston Villa team into the CL spots almost single-handedly. And we have extra evidence that he was the man making it happen, because they began to lose ground the moment he got injured.

He'd be in my team of the year too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Depends on positions, you're largely comparing apples to oranges here.
There are at least 3 attackers in the list. It doesn't depend on positions. If 22 league starts is low for a player to be in team of the year then it's low for player in any position.

always_hoping

Ederson
Cancelo
Dias
Stones
Shaw
De Bruyne
Bruno Fernandes
Gündogan
Son
Salah
Kane

Eternitiy

Ederson

Cancelo
Stones
Dias
Shaw

Tielemans
Gundogan

Mahrez
Mount
Grealish

Kane

With Luke Shaw as Player of the Season.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Ederson

Cancelo, Stones, Diaz, Shaw

Fernandes, Gundogan, Soucek

Salah, Kane, Son

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Agree. I’m not the one to argue for Liverpool players anyway, but Salah’s multiple inclusions surprise me. His numbers are very impressive, and that kinda represents just how good he really is, but he has been so poor in terms of the actual performances that I don’t think he deserves a spot this year.

From what I’ve seen, I’d say that Fabinho had been your best performer this season, I’d be interested to hear what a Liverpool fan says about that though.
Fabinho has done ok but he’s made some mistakes at CB when he’s had to play there. We’ve missed him in midfield but he hasn’t been our best player imo. It’s probably Salah but Phillips deserves a mention. Rarely puts a foot wrong when he plays.

dal

———————-Martinez
Cancelo—Diaz Maguire—-Shaw
——-Gundogan———Rice
Grealish———Bruno——Rashford
—————————Kane

And that front 4 could be ours next season x.