Your PL team of the season

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Because Gundogan did that with City, by far the best and most expensive team in this league. Grealish dragged a deeply mediocre Aston Villa team into the CL spots almost single-handedly. And we have extra evidence that he was the man making it happen, because they began to lose ground the moment he got injured.

He'd be in my team of the year too.
But he got injured and now they're in 10th. It's tough luck, but he did. Which means ultimately Grealish didn't really have a big impact on Villa's finishing position. Even if he had missed the whole season they'd have finished mid-table, which is what they ended up doing.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Gary and Jamie Carragher have put Foden ahead of Salah in their team of the year. Absolute clowns.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Gary and Jamie Carragher have put Foden ahead of Salah in their team of the year. Absolute clowns.
Obviously they are on the hype train now, but to me, not including Gundogan at all is the biggest issue. He still should have an outside shout to even win the whole POTY award. Yes, he did stop with the scoring of goals but that is because his role has reverted to type again. But he is being just as influential as the anchor of that midfield while allowing KdB to attack. In fact, I think he has had a better season than him too. Bruno I guess you can't ignore with his goals+assists tally but he could be easily ahead of Kante too.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Obviously they are on the hype train now, but to me, not including Gundogan at all is the biggest issue. He still should have an outside shout to even win the whole POTY award. Yes, he did stop with the scoring of goals but that is because his role has reverted to type again. But he is being just as influential as the anchor of that midfield while allowing KdB to attack. In fact, I think he has had a better season than him too. Bruno I guess you can't ignore with his goals+assists tally but he could be easily ahead of Kante too.
Neville had Gundogan in. I think my team would be a mix of the two:

Martinez

Coufal
Maguire
Dias
Shaw

KDB
Gundogan
Bruno

Grealish (tough one because of his injury but he was ridiculous before that)
Kane
Salah

KM

Ideally the team should've been something like this

Martinez
Coufal-Dias-Maguire-Shaw
Rice
Gundo Bruno
Salah Kane Son

Although I don't personally rate Gundo ahead of KdB and I do think KdB is an absolute must.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Recency bias at its finest - it’s like they’ve just started watching the season in January.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Recency bias at its finest - it’s like they’ve just started watching the season in January.
It’s the same with Kante’s inclusion. He’s had some top top quality CL performances in the last few weeks, now he’s TOTS worthy?

CM10

He's quickly becoming one of the most overhyped players in world football, and I say that as someone who rates him highly myself. People are wetting themselves over a player who didn't really play for most of the season. It's actually starting to get a bit annoying.

Mount is barely getting any recognition by comparison when he's probably been the most important cog in the Chelsea team this season, and is only a year older.

Havak

Pokemon master
Martinez
Cancelo Fofana Dias Shaw
Gundogan
Fernandes De Bruyne
Salah Kane Foden​

The only ones I'm a bit unsure of really are Cancelo and Salah. I think Walker may end up edging Cancelo as the better right back this season, as Cancelo has been used in both full back roles but hasn't been better than Shaw. I agree with Gary Neville about Son in that his numbers are great but I've felt let down by him as a neutral in the last few weeks. He's slowed down after an amazing start to the season, too much play-acting and crying, going missing in games etc later on. So I just can't bring myself to put Son in.

I've gone with Salah as I think he's been the one consistent player for Liverpool all season and might win the golden boot still - he could also be the biggest difference in whether Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season which would clinch this decision for me to stick with Salah.

That said, I think I'd have put Jack Grealish in instead if not for the injury that has kept him out a while. Unlucky for him, but I think he has to be left out unless he came back for the remaining games and had an absolute stormer.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Salah has got goals, but every time I've watched him he's been wasteful and poor. Honestly think Liverpool would have more balance and varied threat without him.

Riz

Them both picking Foden ahead of Salah is ridiculous.

So is Carragher picking Kante based on CL performances and Neville not picking Son with his major reservation being his League Cup final. It’s meant to be the Premier League team of the season isn’t it.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Martinez
Cancelo Fofana Dias Shaw
Gundogan
Fernandes De Bruyne
Salah Kane Foden​

The only ones I'm a bit unsure of really are Cancelo and Salah. I think Walker may end up edging Cancelo as the better right back this season, as Cancelo has been used in both full back roles but hasn't been better than Shaw. I agree with Gary Neville about Son in that his numbers are great but I've felt let down by him as a neutral in the last few weeks. He's slowed down after an amazing start to the season, too much play-acting and crying, going missing in games etc later on. So I just can't bring myself to put Son in.

I've gone with Salah as I think he's been the one consistent player for Liverpool all season and might win the golden boot still - he could also be the biggest difference in whether Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season which would clinch this decision for me to stick with Salah.

That said, I think I'd have put Jack Grealish in instead if not for the injury that has kept him out a while. Unlucky for him, but I think he has to be left out unless he came back for the remaining games and had an absolute stormer.
Hard to disagree with any of this. Mendy and Ederson both have a shout at keeper especially as I think Martinez' form has dropped off a little, but he has still had a great season. At right-back I would go with Cancelo for his amazing form earlier in the season, but Walker and Coufal are both fair shouts. At centre-back, Dias is definite, but for the other place there are fair shouts for Stones, Evans and even Maguire, but I agree Fofana has been excellent. Most of the rest pretty much picks itself. I agree that Salah should be there. You could perhaps debate Son over Foden. I think those people picking Rice are just looking for a more defensive midfielder, but if you had to squeeze one in it would still be Kante for me.

Trequarista10

Salah has got goals, but every time I've watched him he's been wasteful and poor. Honestly think Liverpool would have more balance and varied threat without him.
True. He almost gets in by default as there's no other stand out RWs throughout the whole season.

cyberman

Them both picking Foden ahead of Salah is ridiculous.

So is Carragher picking Kante based on CL performances and Neville not picking Son with his major reservation being his League Cup final. It’s meant to be the Premier League team of the season isn’t it.
Son isnt having a great season. Most of his numbers came in those first 6 weeks. Its mental to put in 2 attacking Spurs players in this season of all seasons if you think about it. He influences very little in open play anyhow. How LWs drive the game, are a constant threat. Son doesnt do that because he isnt great on the ball

Doracle

Martinez

Cancelo
Dias
Maguire
Shaw

Gundogan
DB
Bruno

Salah
Kane
Grealish

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
True, although he's played over 500 more minutes in the Premier League than Foden this season.

Not that I practice what I preach, having chosen Thiago Silva in my team ahead of Stones, despite having played about 60 minutes less.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Clueless team :lol:
All about opinions Saint.
Your team has a very limited CB, 2 extremely selfish players who hide when things get rough and a pair of strikers who've never won a thing with their team (though I too picked one of them) and my team is clueless?
OK.

KM

Your team has a very limited CB, 2 extremely selfish players who hide when things get rough and a pair of strikers who've never won a thing with their team (though I too picked one of them) and my team is clueless?
OK.
Thanks for reaffirming again that you're clueless.

Stop watching football if you think Salah and Bruno hide when things get rough. Jesus.

hubbuh

OK.
So Maguire is a very limited CB but Stones isn't? Who are the extremely selfish players who hide when things get rough? Bissouma hasn't won anything with Brighton, why is he also in your team if we are to use your bizarre metric? Son, Grealish, Martinez, Shaw, Bruno, Kane should all be completely ignored as they haven't won anything is the logic. Absolute joker you

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
OK.
:lol:

KM

So Maguire is a very limited CB but Stones isn't? Who are the extremely selfish players who hide when things get rough? Bissouma hasn't won anything with Brighton, why is he also in your team if we are to use your bizarre metric? Son, Grealish, Martinez, Shaw, Bruno, Kane should all be completely ignored as they haven't won anything is the logic. Absolute joker you
Salah and Bruno are the selfish players who hide when things get rough according to him :lol:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
OK.
Bruno hides? That’s literally the opposite of what he does. Even when he’s having a stinker he is all over the pitch & always wants the ball. I don’t watch Liverpool enough to comment on Salah, but Bruno never hides.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Ederson

Cancelo
Dias
Maguire
Shaw

Gundogan
De Bruyne
Bruno

Salah
Kane
Grealish

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
OK.
Correct.

Havak

Pokemon master
True, although he's played over 500 more minutes in the Premier League than Foden this season.

Not that I practice what I preach, having chosen Thiago Silva in my team ahead of Stones, despite having played about 60 minutes less.
Yeah, I completely agree but I do sympathize with Man City players in that regard quite often. Pep rotates a lot due to the quality of the squad, but every time I've watched Foden this season he just seems to do outrageous things.

Some think he's over hyped which I get, maybe they will be priced right soon. At the moment though, I'm on the side of thinking he's the next big English talent.

Riz

Son isnt having a great season. Most of his numbers came in those first 6 weeks. Its mental to put in 2 attacking Spurs players in this season of all seasons if you think about it. He influences very little in open play anyhow. How LWs drive the game, are a constant threat. Son doesnt do that because he isnt great on the ball
Not sure that’s fair, he’s scored 4 in his last 5 for starters.

17 goals and 10 assists is far more productive than any other left wingers this season, including Rashford (who Neville seemed to pick based on off the field performances as much actual football). And while we’re bashing Spurs, I think that actually makes it even more an achievement to do it in a team which isn’t as free flowing or offensive as the other top sides.

cyberman

Not sure that’s fair, he’s scored 4 in his last 5 for starters.

17 goals and 10 assists is far more productive than any other left wingers this season, including Rashford (who Neville seemed to pick based on off the field performances as much actual football). And while we’re bashing Spurs, I think that actually makes it even more an achievement to do it in a team which isn’t as free flowing or offensive as the other top sides.
Its too top and bottom heavy. Something like 10 goals in first 11 and then 5 in 23 and dont forget, its he and Kane who had all of the ball under Jose going forward. He just disappeared.
Spurs just dont have enough of the ball going forward to have 2 players in a team of the season, they rarely attacked and are swamped by any decent side they face. Plus he doesnt do much outside of taking a shot. When Spurs need a goal its either Kane holding it up for them or they dont get into the opposition half at all.
Players like Rashford drive the game, his interplay with Shaw has been fantastic this year. Grealish has been on another level to Son, Id even have Werner there. Id also jig the formation and work Antonio in front of Son if it came to it.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
OK I take it back about Bruno. It was a daft thing to say.
Almost as crass as your comparing Kane and Son's underachievement with Spurs with Bissouma, Martinez and Grealish.

Withnail

I don't think Salah's had a great season are all and I see a lot putting him in over Son.

Son's had a much better season in my opinion. Salah's on 20 goals (6 pens) and 4 assists vs Son's 17 goals (1 pen) and 10 assists.

And as for picking Emerson over Martinez, are people just looking at the clean sheet table again?